Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2012, 03:21 PM   #16
MelindaRuns
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by specialks View Post
Thanks! I've been waiting for an official thread! This will be my 2nd 1/2 (unless I decide to run another one before Nov). I ran the Tinkerbell in Jan and will be looking to earn my C2C! We are actually heading out on a cruise on Sunday, so we already had tickets into FL for Sat, now we shifted everything a day, and I'll get to earn so extra bling! . My DH plans to run the 5k and my 2 DDs will run the kids race. What a great family experience to kick off our cruise!
JeanIgor Thanks for starting this thread! It had been asked about several times on other threads and I'm glad you stepped up and created it!

specialks Are you sailing on the Dream from Sept 23-27? We are too! I did the DL half 2011 after a week on the Alaskan Disney cruise. It didn't do wonders for my tapering (having marathon food intake! lol). But I'm hoping with only a 4 day cruise, and better choices, this will be better. Also, I plan on actually using the track on the ship this time, and not just walking down to it to see where it is, and never going back, like last time! lol.

Good luck to everyone doing this race. I'm so excited!

Oh, and jeanigor you mentioned Runner's Night Out. What is this? Do you mean the race at night in general or is this another event? Thanks!
MelindaRuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 08:58 PM   #17
specialks
Quickly becoming a Disney addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelindaRuns View Post
specialks Are you sailing on the Dream from Sept 23-27? We are too! I did the DL half 2011 after a week on the Alaskan Disney cruise. It didn't do wonders for my tapering (having marathon food intake! lol). But I'm hoping with only a 4 day cruise, and better choices, this will be better. Also, I plan on actually using the track on the ship this time, and not just walking down to it to see where it is, and never going back, like last time! lol.

Good luck to everyone doing this race. I'm so excited!
Hi MelindaRuns,
We aren't taking a Disney cruise... However, it is a gift cruise for our family from my FIL, so I'm not going to be picky. Our ship leaves Miami on Nov 11th at 4 pm. We hope we aren't cutting it too close, but planning on skipping the after party and hitting our hotel for some sleep. Then driving from Orlando to Miami. It appears it should only take us 3.5 hours or so. Does that seem right to any of you Floridians??

Question, if we choose to drive our car, it says parking is only at Epcot (not ESPNWWS), so do they have transportation from Epcot to the starting area?

I'm so excited & can't wait to find out more info!
WDW Wine & Dine 1/2 Nov 9-11, 2012 - ASMovies ~~ Jan 26-31, 2012 DLR Tinker Bell 1/2 Marathon - BW Stovalls ~~ DLR Oct 23-26, 2011 - GCH ~~ DLR Dec 7-14, 2010 TR - ResInnGarGrv ~~ DLR Sept 19-26, 2009 - HomSteGarGrv ~~ DLR Sept 13-20, 2008 - HomSteGarGrv
specialks is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-16-2012, 10:48 PM   #18
MelindaRuns
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Hi MelindaRuns,
We aren't taking a Disney cruise... However, it is a gift cruise for our family from my FIL, so I'm not going to be picky. Our ship leaves Miami on Nov 11th at 4 pm. We hope we aren't cutting it too close, but planning on skipping the after party and hitting our hotel for some sleep. Then driving from Orlando to Miami. It appears it should only take us 3.5 hours or so. Does that seem right to any of you Floridians??

Question, if we choose to drive our car, it says parking is only at Epcot (not ESPNWWS), so do they have transportation from Epcot to the starting area?

I'm so excited & can't wait to find out more info!
Yeah, what am I thinking. Im getting my races mixed up. My cruise on the Disney Dream is just before the Tower of Terror Ten Miler, not the Wine and Dine Half. I'm with you- a free cruise is a good cruise! That is an awesome gift. I hope you thoroughly enjoy it! And its AFTER the race- what a perfect way to relax!
MelindaRuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 06:58 AM   #19
jeanigor

Top of the "list" (now, which list is it?)
Don't pee on the parquet

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelindaRuns View Post
Oh, and jeanigor you mentioned Runner's Night Out. What is this? Do you mean the race at night in general or is this another event? Thanks!
You're welcome. And I'm also very happy you're excited about it!!! It'll be a smashing good time!!

"Runner's Night Out" is runDisney's tagline for the race. But that does remind me that there may be a Pasta in the Parks party prior to the race. Something else to add to the initial post.

Quote:
The drive time to Miami sounds about right. On a Sunday, there shouldn't be too much traffic to contend with.

And yes, there will be buses taking you from Epcot's parking lot to ESPN's WWoS. You can't park at ESPN because it is overflowing with race people and equipment and what not. As well as the fact that it is easier to take you from the finish line to the start line than the opposite. (Also less chance of illness, cramping or whatnot on the buses if they transport you pre race.) There may also be a financial benefit for Disney with the contracting of chartering buses that late in the night.
jeanigor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 12:23 AM   #20
specialks

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanigor View Post
The drive time to Miami sounds about right. On a Sunday, there shouldn't be too much traffic to contend with.

And yes, there will be buses taking you from Epcot's parking lot to ESPN's WWoS. You can't park at ESPN because it is overflowing with race people and equipment and what not. As well as the fact that it is easier to take you from the finish line to the start line than the opposite. (Also less chance of illness, cramping or whatnot on the buses if they transport you pre race.) There may also be a financial benefit for Disney with the contracting of chartering buses that late in the night.
Thanks! Makes sense.

I wrote to runDisney about host hotels and they just said that that info hasn't been released yet. To keep an eye out for more info near the March 13 reg date. Also, they said that the host hotels are not the same year after year.
WDW Wine & Dine 1/2 Nov 9-11, 2012 - ASMovies ~~ Jan 26-31, 2012 DLR Tinker Bell 1/2 Marathon - BW Stovalls ~~ DLR Oct 23-26, 2011 - GCH ~~ DLR Dec 7-14, 2010 TR - ResInnGarGrv ~~ DLR Sept 19-26, 2009 - HomSteGarGrv ~~ DLR Sept 13-20, 2008 - HomSteGarGrv
Old 02-19-2012, 05:00 PM   #21
specialks

Question ,
If you have family who want to see you finish the race, but we don't want to attend the after party, are they able to be in Epcot to meet you at the finish? If so, how? If not, what could they do instead?
Thanks!
Old 02-19-2012, 07:09 PM   #22
DVCMAUREEN
Mouseketeer

Have fun everyone! I wish I could fit this race in again this year. This is my favorite Disney race so far! LOVE the evening start and the after party. Last year, I stayed at BWV, so it was very convenient to walk home after the party. Look forward to doing it again another time.

DVCMAUREEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 07:14 PM   #23
DVCMAUREEN
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Question ,
If you have family who want to see you finish the race, but we don't want to attend the after party, are they able to be in Epcot to meet you at the finish? If so, how? If not, what could they do instead?
Thanks!
The finish is actually outside the main Epcot gate so your family can meet you without purchasing tickets. It's lively so your family should have fun waiting for you.

DVCMAUREEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 07:14 PM   #24
becky11
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Question ,
Thanks!
Last year, we finished in the taxi lot at Epcot, in front of the main entrance. However, I think if someone wants to see you finish, they would need to be part of the chEAR Squad. Unless they change the race ending configuration again. (Last year was TOTALLY different than the first year.) I doubt it too much that they'll change it a whole lot though.

Retired USAF 11/1/12 after 21 years!

Apparently, I'm a runner. Who knew?
------------------------------------
Race for the Taste 10K (WDW) 11 Oct 09 -- Tower of Terror 13K (WDW) 24 Oct 09 -- Inaugural Wine & Dine Half Marathon (WDW) 2 Oct 10 -- 2nd Annual Wine & Dine Half Marathon (WDW) 1 Oct 11 -- Inaugural Tinker Bell Half Marathon (DL) 29 Jan 12 -- Royal Family 5K (WDW) 25 Feb 12 -- 4th Annual Princess Half Marathon (WDW) 26 Feb 12 - CtC! -- 5th Annual Expedition Everest Challenge (WDW) 5 May 12 - DH's first race! -- US Air Force Marathon (Dayton, OH) 15 Sep 12 - first full marathon! -- Inaugural Tower of Terror 10-miler (WDW) 29 Sep 12 -- 3rd Annual Wine & Dine Half Marathon (WDW) 10 Nov 12 -- 5th Annual Princess Half Marathon (WDW) 24 Feb 13
becky11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 12:02 PM   #25
specialks

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVCMAUREEN View Post
The finish is actually outside the main Epcot gate so your family can meet you without purchasing tickets. It's lively so your family should have fun waiting for you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by becky11 View Post
Last year, we finished in the taxi lot at Epcot, in front of the main entrance. However, I think if someone wants to see you finish, they would need to be part of the chEAR Squad. Unless they change the race ending configuration again. (Last year was TOTALLY different than the first year.) I doubt it too much that they'll change it a whole lot though.
Thanks for the input!
Old 02-22-2012, 03:49 PM   #26
Twingle
DIS Veteran

Hoping to join you at the Wine & Dine! Just waiting for the school calendar to get released, and then I'll know for sure :D

Avatar compliments of Mr. DiRTy BuNNy, who created it when I informed him that I didn't have an avatar because I couldn't find one that was "me".
Twingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 08:08 PM   #27
DeerIsleDisney
Mouseketeer

I'm thinking about signing up. This would be my first half. Do you think a night race would be a mistake for a first timer? I had hoped to try the Princess Half this weekend, but we ended up with family travel plans that conflicted. Maybe just as well since I've had bronchitis for 2 weeks and can't imagine running even 5 miles right now. A fall race would be better in terms of training... it's harder to stay active in the cold (we live in Maine.)
OKW - May 2011 Star Wars Weekends
OKW, Treehouse Villa - Dec/Jan 2012
Disneyland 1/2 Marathon - Sep 2012
Princess Half Marathon, Beach Club - Feb 2013
OKW - April 2013
Disney Fantasy/Dolphin - August 2013
Thanksgiving 2013 at OKW
Christmas-New Year's 2013/14 at Boardwalk
DeerIsleDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 08:26 PM   #28
dara00
DIS Veteran

I prefer that it is at night because I'm not a morning person and highly doubt I can get up early for a morning one! I also just think it sounds really cool!

First Disney Trip 4/1992 ~ 7th Grade with parents and brother ~ MK, Epcot, MGM / 4/1994 ~ 9th grade with parents and brother ~ MK, Epcot, MGM / 3/1998 ~ College Spring Break with then bf now dh ~ MK, Epcot, MGM / 8/2006 with dh and 17 mos dd ~ DLR / 3/2007 with dh and 23 mos dd ~ AK / 12/2007 with dh, 2.5 yr dd and 6 mos ds ~ MK & Epcot / 5/2009 with dh, 4 yr dd, and 2 yr ds ~ DLR & CA /1/2012 with dh, 6 yr dd, 4 yr ds, and 17 mos ds ~ MK & DHS / 11/2012 for my birthday and Wine & Dine 1/2 Marathon with dh ~ Marathon & Epcot / 6/2013 with dh, 8 yr old dd, 6 yr old ds, 2.5 yr old ds ~ all!

dara00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 11:27 AM   #29
Suited Deuces
Earning My Ears

The site is updated (still no host resort details that I could find)

http://espnwwos.disney.go.com/events...-half-marathon

Disney Wine & Dine Half Marathon

$155 by May 22, 2012
$160 between May 23 and July 17, 2012
$185 on or after July 18, 2012

Disney Family Fun Run 5K

$50 per participant
$55 per Stroller division participant

runDisney Kids' Races

$10 per Kids' Dash participant
$25 per 1-Mile Run participant

Last edited by Suited Deuces; 02-23-2012 at 11:34 AM.
Suited Deuces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 11:56 AM   #30
AquaDame
Are we there yet?

I dont see any info on when the expo is either... I need to be able to pick it up the morning of the race!
2013 Inaugural Dumbo Double Dare!
AquaDame is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: