Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-25-2012, 08:57 AM   #1396
Yvet
♫ She is a dancing queen ♪ One of the Netherpeople
Has quite a unique FE

Hi,

We are also joining this cruise.
We are Emiel and Yvette from The Netherlands and we are traveling together with Donna & Steven.
In 2010 we already have done the EB TA crusie and we loved loved loved the 6 sea days in a row!!!!

I already have a question:
We are a week before the cruise in Orlando and we want to leave from Orlando to Houston on May 16th.
I checked airfare and because most of the carriers are not flying international some of them doesn't ring a bell at me.

I have looked and it looks like Southwest is our best deal, all flights i can find are in the $200 per person range.
But Southwest has the 2 free bags policy.

I also have seen Spirit airlines and there the flight would cost $108 per person but you have to pay (a lot) for bags $20 for the $9 fare club and then $20 for your carry-on $18 for the first checked bag and $25 for the seond checked bag (that would make $73 extra per person) so we would only save around $20 per person compared to Southwest.
Plus i have understood that Spirit isn't a great airline.....

Could you help me out with some advice and tips??

Upcomming Trip:
WDW: May 9th 2013
DCL: May 18th EBTA

Previous Trips:
ABD: 2011 (Backstage Magic)
DCL: 2008 (Western) - 2009 (PCC1.0) - 2010 (EBTA, MED, PCC2.0) - 2012 (PCC3.0, PCC4.0)
DL, 2000 - 2006 - 2011.
DLRP, 1995 - 1996 - 2002 - 2003 - 2007 - 2008 - 2011 - 2012.
WDW, 1999 - 2005 - 2006 - 2007 - 2008 (april/may + dec) - 2009 (april/may + dec) - 2010 (april/may + dec) - 2011 (april/may + dec) - 2012 (June + Dec).
Old 12-25-2012, 10:08 AM   #1397
nitrame
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvet
Hi,

We are Emiel and Yvette from The Netherlands and we are traveling together with Donna & Steven.
In 2010 we already have done the EB TA crusie and we loved loved loved the 6 sea days in a row!!!!

We are a week before the cruise in Orlando and we want to leave from Orlando to Houston on May 16th.
I checked airfare and because most of the carriers are not flying international some of them doesn't ring a bell at me.

I have looked and it looks like Southwest is our best deal, all flights i can find are in the $200 per person range.

I also have seen Spirit airlines and there the flight would cost $108 per person but you have to pay (a lot) for bags $20 for the $9 fare club and then $20 for your carry-on $18 for the first checked bag and $25 for the seond checked bag (that would make $73 extra per person) so we would only save around $20 per person compared to Southwest.

IMHO I would choose southwest as it has the free bag policy. The only thing is they do not assign seats and so may be worth it to pay the extra 10 for early bird check in. Also need to know any arrangements you are making for Houston. There are two airports in Houston and southwest flies into the other one it is called Houston hobby. Just don't want to make rental car or hotel arrangements at the wrong airport.

And welcome...
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-25-2012, 10:42 AM   #1398
MandyGirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvet View Post
Hi,

Welcome aboard!!

Definitely go with Southwest. Higher ratings, including higher safety ratings with the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB). Also, multiple flights per day in case one gets cancelled for some reason you have backup. I've flown Southwest into Hobby twice in the past 4 months - great little airport. Would definitely recommend Southwest. No frills, but gets you where you need to be a better percentage of the time than most carriers.

I'll be flying Spirit in a few months one-way for international, and not looking forward to it, but it was half the cost of American Airlines and AA was wanting too many AAdvantage miles for that portion of the trip. A friend just got off of Spirit from Orlando with nothing but complaints, so I am really hating purchasing the one-way ticket I did, but had overshot another budget already.
Old 12-25-2012, 10:44 AM   #1399
MandyGirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvsTheSun View Post
Hi! We're Lynne (me) and Terry (DH) from NY and will be sailing the EBTA with everyone in May, followed by a BTB Med. the following week. This will be our 5th & 6th DCL cruise, and our second TA voyage (first time was WBTA in 2010). Looking forward to meeting everyone in the spring and getting to know you in the months ahead. Any cruisers onboard from the 2010 WB? I will try to catch up on past posts, but many pages to read, so please be patient I will also request to be added to FB page. Happy Holidays!!!!

Lynne
Welcome aboard, Lynne and Terry And Merry Christmas!!
Old 12-25-2012, 12:32 PM   #1400
Tink1987
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvet
Hi,

Welcome aboard

Hope everyone has had a very nice Christmas Day
April 2005 - Disneyland Paris - Santa Fe | June 2006 - Lanzarote | June 2007 - Cyprus | March 2008 - New York | November 2008 - Mexico | June 2009 - Cuba | December 2009 - Orlando - International Drive | April 2010 - Marrakech | August 2011 - Bruges | March 2012 - Paris and Disneyland Paris - Sequoia Lodge | June 2012 - Norway Fjords on the P&O Azura | August 2012 - Amsterdam | September 2012 - Berlin and Budapest | May 2013 - Eastbound Transatlantic on the Disney Magic | August 2013 - Ghent, Antwerp and Bruges | January 2014 - Road Trip from Las Vegas to Los Angeles | May 2014 - Disneyland Paris | September 2014 - Orlando - WDW's Saratoga Springs | December 2014 - Bruges

http://www.flickr.com/photos/markcollettephotos/
Old 12-25-2012, 08:53 PM   #1401
sdlong329
"Life is just a Fantasy!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink1987 View Post
If these GTY rates come out then are we better not 're-booking' and holding out for an upgrade? We did book on the first day in an 11C but I guess that doesn't matter, i.e it will be a random selection of offered upgrades?
In 2010, the EBTA had HOARDs of people booking Cat 12C (I think) for next to nothing ... many of which were upgraded to a verandah stateroom. As I understand, if you booked a SPECIFIC stateroom, odds are, you likely will not get an upgrade. If you booked a category (or category GTY), are are more likely to get an upgrade, since you essentially said, a specific stateroom was not requested. There is a slim chance you might get a stateroom over the engines (deck one) ... but you never know. There has been numerous arguments of why DCL would give upgrades to NEW DCL cruisers, and why upgrades should be given to those tho have been long time DCL cruisers. Then again, there are many reasons / excuses as to why DCL many not give upgrades to long time cruisers.

All in all ... I hope and wish for an upgrade ... but am happy to be most anywhere on the ship ... including a pillow and blanket placed on a random stairwell, or within a lifeboat!

Steven

DCL MAGIC: 4 night Bahamas practice cruise ('99), 7 night Eastern Caribbean ('01), 7 night Western Caribbean ('06), 15 night EB Panama Canal - Inaugural to Aruba & Cartagena (Aug-Sep '08), Eastern Caribbean / Inaugural Tortola (April-May '09), Eastern Caribbean / St. Croix (Ooops - Tortola, again) (Dec '09), 14 night EB TransAtlantic, Florida to Barcelona (April '10), 12 night EB TransAtlantic, Galveston to Barcelona (May '13), 7 night Southern Caribbean, R/T San Juan (Sept/Oct '14), 15 night EB TransAtlantic (Florida to Copenhagen) (May '15)
DCL WONDER: 4 night Bahamas practice cruise (April '08), LA - Vancouver REPO (Apr/May '11), -B2B- Inaugural Alaska (May '11)
DCL FANTASY: 7 night Maiden Voyage: Western Caribbean (March '12), 7 night podCast 4.0 Western Caribbean (Dec '12), 7 night San Juan/Western Caribbean (Apr '15)
DISapalooza: WWOHP / Universal (Dec '12)
DISNEY ON BROADWAY: Mary Poppins @ New Amsterdam Theatre - 2012, Spiderman (Marvel) @ Foxwoods Theatre - 2012, The Lion King @ Minskoff Theatre - 2013, Aladdin @ New Amsterdam Theatre - 2014
NON-DCL: RCCL Freedom FROM the Seas, Western Caribbean, Jan 2014; Celebrity Horizon, 7 night Philadelphia - Bermuda; HAL Noordam, 10 night NYC - Caribbean; Princess, 7 night FL-Caribbean; Carnival (don't waste my time)
Old 12-25-2012, 08:57 PM   #1402
sdlong329
"Life is just a Fantasy!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvet View Post
Hi,
I already have a question: We are a week before the cruise in Orlando and we want to leave from Orlando to Houston on May 16th. I checked airfare and because most of the carriers are not flying international some of them doesn't ring a bell at me.

I have looked and it looks like Southwest is our best deal, all flights i can find are in the $200 per person range. But Southwest has the 2 free bags policy.
HANDS DOWN ... SOUTHWEST!

DCL MAGIC: 4 night Bahamas practice cruise ('99), 7 night Eastern Caribbean ('01), 7 night Western Caribbean ('06), 15 night EB Panama Canal - Inaugural to Aruba & Cartagena (Aug-Sep '08), Eastern Caribbean / Inaugural Tortola (April-May '09), Eastern Caribbean / St. Croix (Ooops - Tortola, again) (Dec '09), 14 night EB TransAtlantic, Florida to Barcelona (April '10), 12 night EB TransAtlantic, Galveston to Barcelona (May '13), 7 night Southern Caribbean, R/T San Juan (Sept/Oct '14), 15 night EB TransAtlantic (Florida to Copenhagen) (May '15)
DCL WONDER: 4 night Bahamas practice cruise (April '08), LA - Vancouver REPO (Apr/May '11), -B2B- Inaugural Alaska (May '11)
DCL FANTASY: 7 night Maiden Voyage: Western Caribbean (March '12), 7 night podCast 4.0 Western Caribbean (Dec '12), 7 night San Juan/Western Caribbean (Apr '15)
DISapalooza: WWOHP / Universal (Dec '12)
DISNEY ON BROADWAY: Mary Poppins @ New Amsterdam Theatre - 2012, Spiderman (Marvel) @ Foxwoods Theatre - 2012, The Lion King @ Minskoff Theatre - 2013, Aladdin @ New Amsterdam Theatre - 2014
NON-DCL: RCCL Freedom FROM the Seas, Western Caribbean, Jan 2014; Celebrity Horizon, 7 night Philadelphia - Bermuda; HAL Noordam, 10 night NYC - Caribbean; Princess, 7 night FL-Caribbean; Carnival (don't waste my time)
Old 12-25-2012, 09:08 PM   #1403
heatherb819
Mouseketeer

We were upgraded in 2011 and booked in an cat 12 gty but we weren't upgraded until day 3. They were doing a lot of work on staterooms throughout the ship during the crossing and it just so happened ours was next to a few of them being scheduled to be worked on so they moved us due to noise. I know some of the people weren't upgraded

Disney Magic May 2013 EBTA
Carnival Magic Sept 2012
Carnival Fantasy April 2012
Disney Magic 2011 Transatlantic
Carnival Elation 2010
Disney Magic 2009
Carnival Imagination 2008
Carnival Triumph 2007
RC Majesty of the Seas 2006
Old 12-26-2012, 03:37 AM   #1404
Tink1987
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlong329

In 2010, the EBTA had HOARDs of people booking Cat 12C (I think) for next to nothing ... many of which were upgraded to a verandah stateroom. As I understand, if you booked a SPECIFIC stateroom, odds are, you likely will not get an upgrade. If you booked a category (or category GTY), are are more likely to get an upgrade, since you essentially said, a specific stateroom was not requested. There is a slim chance you might get a stateroom over the engines (deck one) ... but you never know. There has been numerous arguments of why DCL would give upgrades to NEW DCL cruisers, and why upgrades should be given to those tho have been long time DCL cruisers. Then again, there are many reasons / excuses as to why DCL many not give upgrades to long time cruisers.

All in all ... I hope and wish for an upgrade ... but am happy to be most anywhere on the ship ... including a pillow and blanket placed on a random stairwell, or within a lifeboat!

Steven
Thank you, I totally agree with you, I'm lucky enough to be cake to be on the ship and can sleep anywhere, I'm such a heavy sleeper
April 2005 - Disneyland Paris - Santa Fe | June 2006 - Lanzarote | June 2007 - Cyprus | March 2008 - New York | November 2008 - Mexico | June 2009 - Cuba | December 2009 - Orlando - International Drive | April 2010 - Marrakech | August 2011 - Bruges | March 2012 - Paris and Disneyland Paris - Sequoia Lodge | June 2012 - Norway Fjords on the P&O Azura | August 2012 - Amsterdam | September 2012 - Berlin and Budapest | May 2013 - Eastbound Transatlantic on the Disney Magic | August 2013 - Ghent, Antwerp and Bruges | January 2014 - Road Trip from Las Vegas to Los Angeles | May 2014 - Disneyland Paris | September 2014 - Orlando - WDW's Saratoga Springs | December 2014 - Bruges

Old 12-26-2012, 03:38 AM   #1405
Tink1987
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatherb819
We were upgraded in 2011 and booked in an cat 12 gty but we weren't upgraded until day 3. They were doing a lot of work on staterooms throughout the ship during the crossing and it just so happened ours was next to a few of them being scheduled to be worked on so they moved us due to noise. I know some of the people weren't upgraded
I wonder if they may do the same on this one then if it is as empty as people say?

Old 12-26-2012, 06:49 AM   #1406
NancyIL
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlong329 View Post

Steven
Remember that the 2010 EBTA was very early - April 10-24. Since ours is 5.5 weeks later, more school-age kids will be able to go. I expect the IGT price will be lower than the 11C that we booked, but I hope the difference will be negligible after the 10% onboard booking discount and $200 OBC.

There are only 13 cat. 11C cabins, so I am crossing my fingers for an upgrade!
Old 12-26-2012, 07:15 AM   #1407
kaseyC

Mother of Three Lovely Princesses
DVC Owner - BWV

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatherb819 View Post
Heather, did they help you move? I'm not sure I would like moving after being unpacked and settled in my stateroom. Did they at least upgrade you to an oceanview or verandah?
BC/ Disney Wonder 2000 ~ Poly Concierge 2002 ~ BC Concierge 2003 ~ SSR 2004 ~ BWV 2005 ~ WL Concierge 2006 ~ Disney Wonder/BWV 2006 ~ BWV 2007 ~ Disney Magic Trans-Atlantic Repo 2007 ~ Disney Magic W. Caribbean 2007 ~ AKV 2008 ~ BWV F&WF 2008 ~ Poly CL 2008/2009 ~ BCV/ Disney Magic E. Caribbean 2009 ~ BWV 2010 ~ AKV/ Disney Dream B2B 2011~ BW Flower & Garden Weekend 2011 ~ BLT 2012 ~ Disney Fantasy E. Caribbean 2012 ~ Disney Magic EBTA 2013 ~ Disneyland Paris 2013 ~ Disney Magic EBTA 2014 ~ Grand Californian CL 2014
Old 12-26-2012, 07:50 AM   #1408
Tink1987
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyIL

Remember that the 2010 EBTA was very early - April 10-24. Since ours is 5.5 weeks later, more school-age kids will be able to go. I expect the IGT price will be lower than the 11C that we booked, but I hope the difference will be negligible after the 10% onboard booking discount and $200 OBC.

There are only 13 cat. 11C cabins, so I am crossing my fingers for an upgrade!
Ooooh I didn't know there was only 13 11c cabins!

Old 12-26-2012, 08:04 AM   #1409
MandyGirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyIL View Post
Remember that the 2010 EBTA was very early - April 10-24. Since ours is 5.5 weeks later, more school-age kids will be able to go.
That's us exactly. Had it been in April, we would not be able to. However, the timing of this EBTA means our daughter is only missing the last 9 days of school (kindergarten). For students not taking finals or who have state assessments in early May, I expect there to be more families onboard. I know some private schools follow the university model, so they have concluded the schoolyear by the time this EBTA begins. The way we are able to validify her missing school is that she is in a dual language immersion program, and although Portuguese and what they speak in Spain is not exactly the Spanish she has been learning this year, it will be an educational experience. (Plus in our state, kindergarten is not required by law...)
Old 12-26-2012, 08:35 AM   #1410
padalyn
Truth is stranger than fiction - you really can't make this stuff up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladyshopper View Post
For those you've done a transatlantic before, what happens with the shows? Is there something different on every night, or do they just spread the same ones out a bit!

Same for dinner menu, is it a 7 night menu that repeated, or is it totally different every night?
Yes, there are different shows or other entertainment every night. As others have posted, there may be movies (premEAR), talent shows (crew) and other types of stuff...it was worth going to see what ever the evening entertainment was in my opinion.

The menues DO repeat - the 7 day menu goes through twice. However, since you are most likely in a different restaurant (because of the odd number of menues) you will get to experience different foods!

There will be at least one formal and most likely two informal nights. On a few of the longer cruises we had two formal and two informal nights. So be sure to bring your fancy clothing!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatherb819 View Post
I agree sea days is why we've booked this once again! If you want to do something, there's plenty to do or you can lounge by the pool or catch a movie! We had activities planned and ended up not doing half of them because the weather was so beautiful we decided to stay by the pool. To each his own!
Oh - we are SO into the sea days....we have to agree!

Quote:
We're IN (and PAID IN FULL)!

Steven
Welcome Steven! Cathy and I are on this cruise!!!

Quote:

Steven
another interesting thing - DCL seldom upgrades DVC bookings...we are going to try to get a port upgrade, but we are not hopeful....we are on deck 6 and are happy with that!

Cayla
Oct - our one year anniversary - the last of 7 trips to celebrate our first year of marriage! (part 7)
2/15/15:.....Magic Cruise
5/15/15:...EBTA northern itinerary
July 2015....Vero Beach for turtle watch!
Nov 2015.....family trip to WDW for Thanksgiving
Past trips: .. .. .. WDW: (no longer counting). . . . . . . . .DLR:5 . . . . . . . . . .DLP:2 . . . . . . . . .The rest? not planned yet!
. .Cruises.(27 with total nights: 191)[Fantasy x3; Dream x4; Magic x12; Wonder x9]. . ABD:Imperial Cities
.DVC member since 2001
Oct 12, 2013: our handfasting day!!!! The most important day of my life.
2012:My Grand Slam!.. .. .. .. 4 - 3 - 2 - 1....4 ships, 3 ports, 2 coasts, in 1 year!!
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: