Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-23-2012, 02:12 PM   #1381
heatherb819
Mouseketeer

Welcome!!! Just added you to the FB page!

Disney Magic May 2013 EBTA
Carnival Magic Sept 2012
Carnival Fantasy April 2012
Disney Magic 2011 Transatlantic
Carnival Elation 2010
Disney Magic 2009
Carnival Imagination 2008
Carnival Triumph 2007
RC Majesty of the Seas 2006
Old 12-23-2012, 02:14 PM   #1382
sdlong329
"Life is just a Fantasy!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyIL View Post
I heard John Charles for the first time on the Fantasy last week. I would definitely love to hear him again!
- We LOVE John Charles! We've seen him several times ... including the Fantasy last week. We picked up a DVD of his either earlier this year, or last year. He's a great guy and excellent entertainer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink1987 View Post
I am getting so excited, how could anyone possibly think the sea days are boring then?? This is exactly why we booked this cruise we wanted time with the ship
-When we booked out first T/A for 2010, we were nervous about the number of sea days. We later found the 6-day stretch of sea days to be MAGICal ... we were ecstatic! It was the most relaxing time of the cruise. We did a B2B cruise on the Wonder in 2011 (13 nights), as well as two separate 7-day cruises on the Fantasy (earlier this year) ... and can say we did not enjoy them as much as we did, as compared to those SIX MAGICal / WONDERful sea days!

Steven

DCL MAGIC: 4 night Bahamas practice cruise ('99), 7 night Eastern Caribbean ('01), 7 night Western Caribbean ('06), 15 night EB Panama Canal - Inaugural to Aruba & Cartagena (Aug-Sep '08), Eastern Caribbean / Inaugural Tortola (April-May '09), Eastern Caribbean / St. Croix (Ooops - Tortola, again) (Dec '09), 14 night EB TransAtlantic, Florida to Barcelona (April '10), 12 night EB TransAtlantic, Galveston to Barcelona (May '13), 7 night Southern Caribbean, R/T San Juan (Sept/Oct '14), 15 night EB TransAtlantic (Florida to Copenhagen) (May '15)
DCL WONDER: 4 night Bahamas practice cruise (April '08), LA - Vancouver REPO (Apr/May '11), -B2B- Inaugural Alaska (May '11)
DCL FANTASY: 7 night Maiden Voyage: Western Caribbean (March '12), 7 night Western Caribbean (Dec '12), 7 night San Juan/Western Caribbean (Apr '15)
DISapalooza: WWOHP / Universal (Dec '12)
DISNEY ON BROADWAY: Mary Poppins @ New Amsterdam Theatre - 2012, Spiderman (Marvel) @ Foxwoods Theatre - 2012, The Lion King @ Minskoff Theatre - 2013, Aladdin @ New Amsterdam Theatre - 2014
NON-DCL: RCCL Freedom FROM the Seas, Western Caribbean, Jan 2014; Celebrity Horizon, 7 night Philadelphia - Bermuda; HAL Noordam, 10 night NYC - Caribbean; Princess, 7 night FL-Caribbean; Carnival (don't waste my time)

Last edited by sdlong329; 12-23-2012 at 02:21 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-23-2012, 04:54 PM   #1383
kaseyC

Mother of Three Lovely Princesses
DVC Owner - BWV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink1987 View Post
We have now paid in full
Congrats!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlong329 View Post
We're IN (and PAID IN FULL)!

After much wrangling ... we're committed! Well, committed to the T/A, that is!

We were on the 2010 EB T/A on the Magic ... loved the 6 sea days in a row! We've been on the Fantasy twice since the Maiden Voyage, and we're in the mood for some vibes from the DCL classic ships. That means, I want CHOCOLATE NIGHT and CHARACTER BREAKFAST!

DW (Donna) and I are DCL Platinum ... no kids in tow. Our "child" is a young adult, and sailed DCL with us when he was a young 'un! We have owned DVC since 1994 (Old Key West and Animal Kingdom).

We will be flying Southwest to Houston (from PHL) the night prior to embarkation ... we usually meet other DISers in the Southwest Terminal at PHL airport. Looks like we have a *little* time to read through the previous posts ... will sign up for whatever we can ... though we will not be doing FE's this cruise.

I sent a request to be added to the FB page.

Stateroom: V-GTY
Dining: Second

Steven
Welcome!
BC/ Disney Wonder 2000 ~ Poly Concierge 2002 ~ BC Concierge 2003 ~ SSR 2004 ~ BWV 2005 ~ WL Concierge 2006 ~ Disney Wonder/BWV 2006 ~ BWV 2007 ~ Disney Magic Trans-Atlantic Repo 2007 ~ Disney Magic W. Caribbean 2007 ~ AKV 2008 ~ BWV F&WF 2008 ~ Poly CL 2008/2009 ~ BCV/ Disney Magic E. Caribbean 2009 ~ BWV 2010 ~ AKV/ Disney Dream B2B 2011~ BW Flower & Garden Weekend 2011 ~ BLT 2012 ~ Disney Fantasy E. Caribbean 2012 ~ Disney Magic EBTA 2013 ~ Disneyland Paris 2013 ~ Disney Magic EBTA 2014 ~ Grand Californian CL 2014
Old 12-23-2012, 08:10 PM   #1384
sdlong329
"Life is just a Fantasy!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyGirl View Post
Based on this rollcall and when I have been spot-checking cabins, I don't believe our EBTA is selling well at all either.
- Not uncommon for an EB T/A cruise ... DCL will sell a BOAT load of rooms within 90 - 120 days of sailing. Hopefully, those who DO book in that window will have previously booked air fare ... or suffer the wrath of outrageously expensive international air fare!

Some people have issues (or preferences) with EB vs. WB ... the thought being ... EB T/A cruises loose 1 hour per day on sea days (WB gains one hour). There are (US residents) who prefer the EB T/A to a WB, since they do not have to worry about jet lag (or sightseeing prior to the cruise). With an EB T/A, you are free to spend your post-cruise time in Europe sightseeing on the same internal clock as you had on the ship. If you fly to Europe for WB T/A, you are instantly hit with jet lag ... either prior to the WB T/A, or during pre-cruise sightseeing.

As for discounted / available staterooms at the port ... DCL will oversell Cat 11C staterooms online, and upgrade them as necessary, in order to fill up the ship. If you have an existing DCL reservation and are not upgraded prior to arriving at the port, I would not expect an upgrade (though anything is possible) ... especially if you have selected a specific stateroom. DCL treats a T/A cruise like a repositioning cruise ... it promotes the cruises at the ultimate destinations. On the other hand, Cunard (as an example) sails 6-day T/A cruises every week ... they MUST fill up their ship(s) at rack rates ... or terminate the season of T/A cruises.

All in all, everyone has their own strategy ... some do better than others. No matter, I will be happiest when I am on the ship!

Steven

DCL MAGIC: 4 night Bahamas practice cruise ('99), 7 night Eastern Caribbean ('01), 7 night Western Caribbean ('06), 15 night EB Panama Canal - Inaugural to Aruba & Cartagena (Aug-Sep '08), Eastern Caribbean / Inaugural Tortola (April-May '09), Eastern Caribbean / St. Croix (Ooops - Tortola, again) (Dec '09), 14 night EB TransAtlantic, Florida to Barcelona (April '10), 12 night EB TransAtlantic, Galveston to Barcelona (May '13), 7 night Southern Caribbean, R/T San Juan (Sept/Oct '14), 15 night EB TransAtlantic (Florida to Copenhagen) (May '15)
DCL WONDER: 4 night Bahamas practice cruise (April '08), LA - Vancouver REPO (Apr/May '11), -B2B- Inaugural Alaska (May '11)
DCL FANTASY: 7 night Maiden Voyage: Western Caribbean (March '12), 7 night Western Caribbean (Dec '12), 7 night San Juan/Western Caribbean (Apr '15)
DISapalooza: WWOHP / Universal (Dec '12)
DISNEY ON BROADWAY: Mary Poppins @ New Amsterdam Theatre - 2012, Spiderman (Marvel) @ Foxwoods Theatre - 2012, The Lion King @ Minskoff Theatre - 2013, Aladdin @ New Amsterdam Theatre - 2014
NON-DCL: RCCL Freedom FROM the Seas, Western Caribbean, Jan 2014; Celebrity Horizon, 7 night Philadelphia - Bermuda; HAL Noordam, 10 night NYC - Caribbean; Princess, 7 night FL-Caribbean; Carnival (don't waste my time)

Last edited by sdlong329; 12-23-2012 at 08:39 PM.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:38 PM   #1385
MandyGirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlong329 View Post
- Not uncommon for a T/A cruise ... DCL will sell a BOAT load of rooms within 90 - 120 days of sailing. Hopefully, those who DO book in that window will have previously booked air fare ... or suffer the wrath of outrageously expensive international air fare!

Steven
Absolutely agree. Gotta play the game right Book airfare when it's good, watch the cruise rates, and book at the appropriate time.

Our WBTA 2011 went out with no upgrades available at port.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:51 PM   #1386
MandyGirl
DIS Veteran

Should probably clarify - when I looked at our WBTA 2011 rollcall a week or so ago to compare it to where we are now (in terms of months prior to embarkation), it was a larger rollcall and much more active at 6 months prior than where we are now at <5 months. I just don't think many are seeing Galveston as a destination to take a cruise from, hence already releasing the military, interline, etc rates. Those being released so early surprised me - they were not released that early with our WBTA last year - literally 4 days prior to final payment (a welcome surprise for many).

It will be interesting to see what specials come out closer to sail date and what the GTY rates will be (if/when) they come out.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:03 PM   #1387
MandyGirl
DIS Veteran

Ah - just saw your edited version. I hear ya about WBTA vs EBTA. We were holding out for WBTA but decided on EBTA after seeing possible dates and our school schedules. Figured EBTA was easier for us with scheduling by basically starting just before summer break. I'll miss that extra hour a day though!

We luckily had no jetlag for WBTA because we broke it up. Spent some time in NYC first, so we just had that 6+ hour flight to BCN. Pushed ourselves (and kids) to stay awake and tour Barcelona a few days, and we all transitioned beautifully. I was amazed, especially with it being the kiddos' first time overseas in that direction. I still get funny looks when people ask if we are taking our kids with us (ages 6 and 2) but they just go with the flow thankfully.
Old 12-24-2012, 12:49 AM   #1388
LuvsTheSun
Earning My Ears

Hi! We're Lynne (me) and Terry (DH) from NY and will be sailing the EBTA with everyone in May, followed by a BTB Med. the following week. This will be our 5th & 6th DCL cruise, and our second TA voyage (first time was WBTA in 2010). Looking forward to meeting everyone in the spring and getting to know you in the months ahead. Any cruisers onboard from the 2010 WB? I will try to catch up on past posts, but many pages to read, so please be patient I will also request to be added to FB page. Happy Holidays!!!!

Lynne
2/12/07 Legend (8 Night Exotic Southern Caribbean)
7/17/06 Hawaii, California & Disneyland
4/15/06 Easter on the Liberty (Panama)
4/23/05 25th Anniversary - Voyager of the Seas (Western)
8/01/04 Destiny (Southern)
4/11/04 Easter on the Victory (Western)
8/23/03 Glory (Eastern) 4/19/03 Triumph (West)
Old 12-24-2012, 04:39 AM   #1389
Tink1987
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlong329
We're IN (and PAID IN FULL)!

After much wrangling ... we're committed! Well, committed to the T/A, that is!

We were on the 2010 EB T/A on the Magic ... loved the 6 sea days in a row! We've been on the Fantasy twice since the Maiden Voyage, and we're in the mood for some vibes from the DCL classic ships. That means, I want CHOCOLATE NIGHT and CHARACTER BREAKFAST!

DW (Donna) and I are DCL Platinum ... no kids in tow. Our "child" is a young adult, and sailed DCL with us when he was a young 'un! We have owned DVC since 1994 (Old Key West and Animal Kingdom).

We will be flying Southwest to Houston (from PHL) the night prior to embarkation ... we usually meet other DISers in the Southwest Terminal at PHL airport. Looks like we have a *little* time to read through the previous posts ... will sign up for whatever we can ... though we will not be doing FE's this cruise.

I sent a request to be added to the FB page.

Stateroom: V-GTY
Dining: Second

Steven
Welcome!
April 2005 - Disneyland Paris - Santa Fe | June 2006 - Lanzarote | June 2007 - Cyprus | March 2008 - New York | November 2008 - Mexico | June 2009 - Cuba | December 2009 - Orlando - International Drive | April 2010 - Marrakech | August 2011 - Bruges | March 2012 - Paris and Disneyland Paris - Sequoia Lodge | June 2012 - Norway Fjords on the P&O Azura | August 2012 - Amsterdam | September 2012 - Berlin and Budapest | May 2013 - Eastbound Transatlantic on the Disney Magic | August 2013 - Ghent, Antwerp and Bruges | January 2014 - Road Trip from Las Vegas to Los Angeles | May 2014 - Disneyland Paris | September 2014 - Orlando - WDW's Saratoga Springs | December 2014 - Bruges | April 2015 - Japan

http://www.flickr.com/photos/markcollettephotos/
Old 12-24-2012, 04:43 AM   #1390
Tink1987
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlong329

- Not uncommon for an EB T/A cruise ... DCL will sell a BOAT load of rooms within 90 - 120 days of sailing. Hopefully, those who DO book in that window will have previously booked air fare ... or suffer the wrath of outrageously expensive international air fare!

Some people have issues (or preferences) with EB vs. WB ... the thought being ... EB T/A cruises loose 1 hour per day on sea days (WB gains one hour). There are (US residents) who prefer the EB T/A to a WB, since they do not have to worry about jet lag (or sightseeing prior to the cruise). With an EB T/A, you are free to spend your post-cruise time in Europe sightseeing on the same internal clock as you had on the ship. If you fly to Europe for WB T/A, you are instantly hit with jet lag ... either prior to the WB T/A, or during pre-cruise sightseeing.

As for discounted / available staterooms at the port ... DCL will oversell Cat 11C staterooms online, and upgrade them as necessary, in order to fill up the ship. If you have an existing DCL reservation and are not upgraded prior to arriving at the port, I would not expect an upgrade (though anything is possible) ... especially if you have selected a specific stateroom. DCL treats a T/A cruise like a repositioning cruise ... it promotes the cruises at the ultimate destinations. On the other hand, Cunard (as an example) sails 6-day T/A cruises every week ... they MUST fill up their ship(s) at rack rates ... or terminate the season of T/A cruises.

All in all, everyone has their own strategy ... some do better than others. No matter, I will be happiest when I am on the ship!

Steven
If these GTY rates come out then are we better not 're-booking' and holding out for an upgrade? We did book on the first day in an 11C but I guess that doesn't matter, i.e it will be a random selection of offered upgrades?
April 2005 - Disneyland Paris - Santa Fe | June 2006 - Lanzarote | June 2007 - Cyprus | March 2008 - New York | November 2008 - Mexico | June 2009 - Cuba | December 2009 - Orlando - International Drive | April 2010 - Marrakech | August 2011 - Bruges | March 2012 - Paris and Disneyland Paris - Sequoia Lodge | June 2012 - Norway Fjords on the P&O Azura | August 2012 - Amsterdam | September 2012 - Berlin and Budapest | May 2013 - Eastbound Transatlantic on the Disney Magic | August 2013 - Ghent, Antwerp and Bruges | January 2014 - Road Trip from Las Vegas to Los Angeles | May 2014 - Disneyland Paris | September 2014 - Orlando - WDW's Saratoga Springs | December 2014 - Bruges | April 2015 - Japan

Old 12-24-2012, 04:44 AM   #1391
Tink1987
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvsTheSun
Hi! We're Lynne (me) and Terry (DH) from NY and will be sailing the EBTA with everyone in May, followed by a BTB Med. the following week. This will be our 5th & 6th DCL cruise, and our second TA voyage (first time was WBTA in 2010). Looking forward to meeting everyone in the spring and getting to know you in the months ahead. Any cruisers onboard from the 2010 WB? I will try to catch up on past posts, but many pages to read, so please be patient I will also request to be added to FB page. Happy Holidays!!!!

Lynne
Welcome

Old 12-24-2012, 04:45 AM   #1392
Tink1987
DIS Veteran

Just wanted to pop on and wish everyone a very Merry Christmas. Really looking forward to meeting you all next year - not long to go until we can say it will be this year!

Only 13 hours for us to go in the UK now, hope Santa is kind to you all, have a great day and enjoy the time with your loved ones. x

Old 12-24-2012, 09:13 AM   #1393
woody73
Enjoyed the Pumpkinmen
Never liked the idea of using a snorkel after someone else

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvsTheSun View Post

. . . Any cruisers onboard from the 2010 WB?
We were on the 2010 WBTA.

Woody
Old 12-24-2012, 09:18 AM   #1394
ThePedersonFamily
Mouseketeer

Just wanted to wish everyone a Very Merry Christmas!! Looking forward to all the fun of the holidays and very very excited for the New Year!! Have a great one!!
Old 12-24-2012, 09:37 AM   #1395
heatherb819
Mouseketeer

Christmas Blessings to all! May you all have a very merry Christmas! Wishing you safe travels and a healthy holiday!

Disney Magic May 2013 EBTA
Carnival Magic Sept 2012
Carnival Fantasy April 2012
Disney Magic 2011 Transatlantic
Carnival Elation 2010
Disney Magic 2009
Carnival Imagination 2008
Carnival Triumph 2007
RC Majesty of the Seas 2006
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: