Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 05:31 PM   #1321
Tink1987
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyGirl

On the WBTA 2011 we had 85 for the PJ breakfast and 75 for a private catamaran excursion to Jost VanDyke that I coordinated (and still had a waitlist for). Rollcall was around 150 I think, and the Fish Extender group was so large that we had 7 groups of 15-20 cabins per group. Some folks would participate in events but not list their name on the rollcall, so hard to say how many grand total. The meet threads on the DIS ended up being in part 7 by the time we sailed (each part is 200 pages... when part 1 ends, then part 2 is created). Plus we had our Facebook page like this one has. At five months prior to embarkation, we were definitely not still on Part 1.

Several people had been holding out for another WBTA (we originally were - you gain an hour with each timezone change). When it was announced no WBTA basically, some have now planned alternative vacations for 2013, including other cruiselines. There has been no special European fare for this cruise like the WBTA had - it was announced quite early last year that many from Europe were able to take advantage of, but DCL has not done that for this sailing. I think Galveston as an embarkation point has deterred many, as lots of folks like to tie WDW into a Disney cruise. Just my thoughts.
I agree with this, the ONLY reason we didn't/couldn't do the WBTA was due to us going away in December 2013. I didn't want to do the two weeks in September/October for the WBTA and then have another big holiday 8 weeks later. We would have been waiting all of 2013 for a holiday due to annual leave restrictions at work! We would have much preferred to do some Carribean/Bahamas ports.

Also, we would have preferred to do a few days WDW before this cruise as its not on our radar for the next few years due to wanting to visit other places in the world, mainly the Tokyo, Hong Kong and Shanghai Disney parks when that one opens. I personally feel like we are wasting a precious day of our annual leave entitlement coming to Texas the day before - no offence to anyone, again, Texas just isn't on our radar right now.
April 2005 - Disneyland Paris - Santa Fe | June 2006 - Lanzarote | June 2007 - Cyprus | March 2008 - New York | November 2008 - Mexico | June 2009 - Cuba | December 2009 - Orlando - International Drive | April 2010 - Marrakech | August 2011 - Bruges | March 2012 - Paris and Disneyland Paris - Sequoia Lodge | June 2012 - Norway Fjords on the P&O Azura | August 2012 - Amsterdam | September 2012 - Berlin and Budapest | May 2013 - Eastbound Transatlantic on the Disney Magic | August 2013 - Ghent, Antwerp and Bruges | January 2014 - Road Trip from Las Vegas to Los Angeles | May 2014 - Disneyland Paris | September 2014 - Orlando - WDW's Saratoga Springs | December 2014 - Bruges

http://www.flickr.com/photos/markcollettephotos/
Old 12-16-2012, 08:56 PM   #1322
MandyGirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink1987 View Post
I agree with this, the ONLY reason we didn't/couldn't do the WBTA was due to us going away in December 2013. I didn't want to do the two weeks in September/October for the WBTA and then have another big holiday 8 weeks later. We would have been waiting all of 2013 for a holiday due to annual leave restrictions at work! We would have much preferred to do some Carribean/Bahamas ports.

Also, we would have preferred to do a few days WDW before this cruise as its not on our radar for the next few years due to wanting to visit other places in the world, mainly the Tokyo, Hong Kong and Shanghai Disney parks when that one opens. I personally feel like we are wasting a precious day of our annual leave entitlement coming to Texas the day before - no offence to anyone, again, Texas just isn't on our radar right now.
Completely hear ya! From an itinerary standpoint, it's not an enticing itinerary either, especially if someone just did the same 3 ports last year. We are booking it for the time on the ship with Mickey and FRIENDS. Loved the WBTA itinerary that threw in St Maarten and Tortola. Wish this one had Cadiz, but oh well. And heck, I've lived in Texas my whole life and just took my first cruise from Texas last month - only because it was Disney and a killer rate. Our other 9 cruises have been from Vancouver, Florida or San Juan, but never something we could reasonably drive to from home. The typical Western Caribbean ports from Texas are not enticing, and we can fly there easily. (Ex: even though some cruises stop in Costa Rica, it's not the same as vacationing there in the middle of the rainforest for a few days) Some folks are tying in a week or two to tour Texas and hit the major sites prior to the EBTA - like the circle of San Antonio, Austin, DFW, Houston. Might be their only chance to tour Texas for a while. Texas is so huge though - no way to see it all. I'd be taking them hiking in Big Bend if they were here longer!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-16-2012, 11:23 PM   #1323
twopeasonepod
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyGirl View Post
If you turn your reservation over to a TA, then they will need to cancel and rebook for you if you go that route. If canceling prior to final payment, then they can request a fare change. If it is after final payment when a rate drops, then cancellation fees most likely will apply if not doing an upgrade because most of the new fares are for "new bookings only" - meaning you have to book it as a new booking and get a new confirmation number. Disney has changed several rules in the past 12 months... and each fare has it's own set of rules.

Edited to add: Also check with Costco to make sure if you make changes or cancellations that they don't charge you a fee on top of what Disney does. Some agencies will charge a $25 cancellation/change fee on top of what a cruiseline charges.
Ahhh, I see now. I think we will just go for the Costco card and cross our fingers. No only one category above us still left and we wouldn't do that anyway since I don't see the justification for 30 sq. ft. of space.

I also agree re: WBTA. Sounds much more appealing for the time zone gain, but I am much more comfortable taking the boys out of school at the end than the beginning. But they are in first grade and perhaps it is the opposite for older kids?

I was so busy last week I missed the Target $10 GC when you buy $50. Shoulda done that a bunch of times with Disney GCs. Oh well...

Old 12-17-2012, 01:28 AM   #1324
padalyn
Truth is stranger than fiction - you really can't make this stuff up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofyNewfie View Post
All the more cheap cabin upgrades at port and space on the cruise for all of us then?

Our website's roll call is up to 55 people, that seems like quite a few to me. What's a more normal amount? The 1 Disney cruise I did before probably only had 10 people.
Quote:
Anyone know what time? And what tricks might be necessary to ensure that it works right away? I've seen people suggesting you have to log out and such.
this is a low roll call - the first Hawaii was over 400 total I think. The FE list was split into 10 groups of 25 each...no there weren't 250 people, more like 125. The person who was organizing it put every person's name on every list if they wanted to give to all. I took about 135 gifts and didn't bring any home!

about the time - I think it is Pacific time...not sure. I have never had an issue getting what I want for Palo etc.
Oct - our one year anniversary - the last of 7 trips to celebrate our first year of marriage! (part 7)
2/15/15:.....Magic Cruise
5/15/15:...EBTA northern itinerary
July 2015....Vero Beach for turtle watch!
Nov 2015.....family trip to WDW for Thanksgiving
Past trips: .. .. .. WDW: (no longer counting). . . . . . . . .DLR:5 . . . . . . . . . .DLP:2 . . . . . . . . .The rest? not planned yet!
. .Cruises.(27 with total nights: 191)[Fantasy x3; Dream x4; Magic x12; Wonder x9]. . ABD:Imperial Cities
.DVC member since 2001
Oct 12, 2013: our handfasting day!!!! The most important day of my life.
2012:My Grand Slam!.. .. .. .. 4 - 3 - 2 - 1....4 ships, 3 ports, 2 coasts, in 1 year!!
Old 12-17-2012, 01:43 AM   #1325
MandyGirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by padalyn View Post
this is a low roll call - the first Hawaii was over 400 total I think. The FE list was split into 10 groups of 25 each...no there weren't 250 people, more like 125. The person who was organizing it put every person's name on every list if they wanted to give to all. I took about 135 gifts and didn't bring any home!

about the time - I think it is Pacific time...not sure. I have never had an issue getting what I want for Palo etc.
I think it may be worth exploring the idea to ask everyone to please "re-check in" after January 18 PIF date. Some may have cancelled this cruise but not mentioned anything... or who knows... lots may be lurking and still onboard.
Old 12-17-2012, 04:20 AM   #1326
padalyn
Truth is stranger than fiction - you really can't make this stuff up!

Quote:
I think it may be worth exploring the idea to ask everyone to please "re-check in" after January 18 PIF date. Some may have cancelled this cruise but not mentioned anything... or who knows... lots may be lurking and still onboard.
I completely agree - I organized the FE list for the NYC cruises (3 of them) and on the first I spent almost 12 hours hunting for someone who had canceled...we were at WDW and I spent way too much time on my phone searching the thread for the one comment about canceling the cruise (over 9 months earlier). Then I had to spend time returning the FE gifts that were left with me for that person. Not very fair to those whe flew in, or made name specific gifts.

The organizer for Hawaii did that - had everyone confirm their information - it helped a lot! I did it for the Nov cruise I organized as well.

Cayla
Oct - our one year anniversary - the last of 7 trips to celebrate our first year of marriage! (part 7)
2/15/15:.....Magic Cruise
5/15/15:...EBTA northern itinerary
July 2015....Vero Beach for turtle watch!
Nov 2015.....family trip to WDW for Thanksgiving
Past trips: .. .. .. WDW: (no longer counting). . . . . . . . .DLR:5 . . . . . . . . . .DLP:2 . . . . . . . . .The rest? not planned yet!
. .Cruises.(27 with total nights: 191)[Fantasy x3; Dream x4; Magic x12; Wonder x9]. . ABD:Imperial Cities
.DVC member since 2001
Oct 12, 2013: our handfasting day!!!! The most important day of my life.
2012:My Grand Slam!.. .. .. .. 4 - 3 - 2 - 1....4 ships, 3 ports, 2 coasts, in 1 year!!
Old 12-17-2012, 08:35 AM   #1327
kaseyC

Mother of Three Lovely Princesses
DVC Owner - BWV

Quote:
Anyone know what time? And what tricks might be necessary to ensure that it works right away? I've seen people suggesting you have to log out and such.
It's usually midnight Eastern time. We are central so it would be 11:00 pm for us. I think we all will not have any problem getting what we want because the cruise does not look very full. I'm considering booking a Cabana and that's the only thing I may stay up to get. Palo, I've never had any problem getting on the ship if I can't book it online. The only categories sold out are the suites and that may change by tomorrow's concierge final payment date.
BC/ Disney Wonder 2000 ~ Poly Concierge 2002 ~ BC Concierge 2003 ~ SSR 2004 ~ BWV 2005 ~ WL Concierge 2006 ~ Disney Wonder/BWV 2006 ~ BWV 2007 ~ Disney Magic Trans-Atlantic Repo 2007 ~ Disney Magic W. Caribbean 2007 ~ AKV 2008 ~ BWV F&WF 2008 ~ Poly CL 2008/2009 ~ BCV/ Disney Magic E. Caribbean 2009 ~ BWV 2010 ~ AKV/ Disney Dream B2B 2011~ BW Flower & Garden Weekend 2011 ~ BLT 2012 ~ Disney Fantasy E. Caribbean 2012 ~ Disney Magic EBTA 2013 ~ Disneyland Paris 2013 ~ Disney Magic EBTA 2014

Old 12-17-2012, 12:44 PM   #1328
woody73
Enjoyed the Pumpkinmen
Never liked the idea of using a snorkel after someone else

Quote:

. . . From an itinerary standpoint, it's not an enticing itinerary either, especially if someone just did the same 3 ports last year.
OR the year before. We went on the 2010 eastbound and westbound Transatlantic cruises. Both itineraries included Funchal and Gibraltar.

It's a shame DCL doesn't visit some other island instead of just repeating Funchal. We've visited Tenerife (Canary Islands), Ponta Delgada (Azores), and Santa Cruz de la Palma (Canary Islands), which are spectacular.

Woody
Old 12-17-2012, 03:03 PM   #1329
MandyGirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody73 View Post
OR the year before. We went on the 2010 eastbound and westbound Transatlantic cruises. Both itineraries included Funchal and Gibraltar.

It's a shame DCL doesn't visit some other island instead of just repeating Funchal. We've visited Tenerife (Canary Islands), Ponta Delgada (Azores), and Santa Cruz de la Palma (Canary Islands), which are spectacular.

Woody
I was thinking they were repeated the previous years, Woody. I think we are going to just explore the downtown areas of Funchal and Gibraltar since we did big tours last time, and save our dineros for post-DCL Magic activities. If we get Curt's mom in a group or on a ship excursion, that will be great for her to see those two ports. The Azores and Canary Islands are still on our "list" to see...
Old 12-17-2012, 03:43 PM   #1330
woody73
Enjoyed the Pumpkinmen
Never liked the idea of using a snorkel after someone else

Quote:

I was thinking they were repeated the previous years, Woody.
You're right -- Funchal and Gibraltar are repeats of at least the 2010 and 2011 DCL Transatlantic cruises.

Instead of Gibraltar, DCL could easily go someplace new, such as Malaga (with excursions to the Alhambra), Cartegena, or Palma de Mallorca. Alhambra photos. We've enjoyed visiting these ports and the Alhambra.

Woody
Old 12-18-2012, 03:56 AM   #1331
GoofyNewfie
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Is Jan 18 the PIF date for everyone? My wife's still asleep so I can't ask her what our date is.

We should brainstorm on the re-check in. I was thinking the same. Should we try to collect more info for those that want to share more? e.g. arrival flights (I'm sure there will be some other Canadians on my Toronto to Houston AC81111 11am flight on Fri the 17th), pre and post hotels?

I am so looking forward to meeting my fellow Dis-ers on the rooftop bar in Galveston with a nice big vacation-oriented drink and getting completely into the vacation mood. Thanks to Mandy for arranging the hotel - it'll be a great start.
Old 12-18-2012, 03:58 AM   #1332
GoofyNewfie
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaseyC View Post
It's usually midnight Eastern time. We are central so it would be 11:00 pm for us. I think we all will not have any problem getting what we want because the cruise does not look very full. I'm considering booking a Cabana and that's the only thing I may stay up to get. Palo, I've never had any problem getting on the ship if I can't book it online. The only categories sold out are the suites and that may change by tomorrow's concierge final payment date.
Today is PIF for concierge? So rooms may open up? I'm probably way too cheap to get one but am interested in seeing the prices.
Old 12-18-2012, 07:00 AM   #1333
heatherb819
Mouseketeer

5 Months!!!!

Disney Magic May 2013 EBTA
Carnival Magic Sept 2012
Carnival Fantasy April 2012
Disney Magic 2011 Transatlantic
Carnival Elation 2010
Disney Magic 2009
Carnival Imagination 2008
Carnival Triumph 2007
RC Majesty of the Seas 2006
Old 12-18-2012, 07:08 AM   #1334
kaseyC

Mother of Three Lovely Princesses
DVC Owner - BWV

Quote:
Today is PIF for concierge? So rooms may open up? I'm probably way too cheap to get one but am interested in seeing the prices.
Yes, today is final payment date for concierge. Concierge deposits are non-refundable but can be moved to another sailing before the penalty period. Cancellations are rare but they do happen.
BC/ Disney Wonder 2000 ~ Poly Concierge 2002 ~ BC Concierge 2003 ~ SSR 2004 ~ BWV 2005 ~ WL Concierge 2006 ~ Disney Wonder/BWV 2006 ~ BWV 2007 ~ Disney Magic Trans-Atlantic Repo 2007 ~ Disney Magic W. Caribbean 2007 ~ AKV 2008 ~ BWV F&WF 2008 ~ Poly CL 2008/2009 ~ BCV/ Disney Magic E. Caribbean 2009 ~ BWV 2010 ~ AKV/ Disney Dream B2B 2011~ BW Flower & Garden Weekend 2011 ~ BLT 2012 ~ Disney Fantasy E. Caribbean 2012 ~ Disney Magic EBTA 2013 ~ Disneyland Paris 2013 ~ Disney Magic EBTA 2014

Old 12-18-2012, 07:45 AM   #1335
MandyGirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Is Jan 18 the PIF date for everyone? My wife's still asleep so I can't ask her what our date is.

We should brainstorm on the re-check in. I was thinking the same. Should we try to collect more info for those that want to share more? e.g. arrival flights (I'm sure there will be some other Canadians on my Toronto to Houston AC81111 11am flight on Fri the 17th), pre and post hotels?

I am so looking forward to meeting my fellow Dis-ers on the rooftop bar in Galveston with a nice big vacation-oriented drink and getting completely into the vacation mood. Thanks to Mandy for arranging the hotel - it'll be a great start.
I believe so (Jan 18) - except for concierge is today for PIF.

Glad we're on the same wavelength on re-checking in for rollcall. Adding arrival flights and hotels might help those trying to coordinate transportation, but I know some are pretty private with that info. Plus many are staying around IAH, Hobby, or down in Galveston - so helps some informal meet-and-greets (even if not listing exact pre-cruise hotel, listing geographical area). On our way to BCN last year we were greeting folks connecting at JFK in true Disney fashion. People we had chatted with for so long on FB we were able to greet as they came off their flights. Also a great way to pass the time (and a time for my husband to sit back and reflect on who the heck that he married who greets random strangers in airports LOL!). And then at our hotel in Barcelona it was great to meet others there as well. We shared cabs together since that hotel did not have a shuttle.

Post-cruise info possibly might be an idea. I think some are headed straight to airport, some staying in BCN a little, etc. We're actually going to try to have a late brunch with some cruisers boarding the Magic the day we disembark (prior to them embarking). Hoping we catch them this time - we were all at Downtown Disney to try to meet in October, and their cell phone battery died so we could not make contact. So close, yet so far! (And they are from the UK!) So we are hoping for a quick meetup after we disembark EBTA.

No problem on coordinating the Galveston hotel. I am such a bargain shopper and was thrilled they came back with that when asking them about a group rate, particularly since that is a huge festival going on and Harbor House was already sold out. The Tremont will be a classy way to kick off the cruise! And a fruity beverage is a MUST!
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: