Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 02:44 PM   #1201
valbob89
DIS Veteran

Rick Steves Barcelona

Here is a link to Hula, in the search box type Rick Steves' Europe Barcelona and Catalunya to link to Rick Steves travel doc of Barcelona and the surrounding area. When we were in Barcelona we did go to both Monserrat and the Dali museum, both well worth the trip.

http://www.hulu.com/#!search?q=rick+steves+barcelona

Last edited by valbob89; 11-18-2012 at 03:30 PM.
Old 11-18-2012, 03:12 PM   #1202
NancyIL
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by valbob89 View Post
Here is a link to Hula, in the search box type Rick Steves' Europe Barcelona and Catalunya to link to Rick Steves travel doc of Barcelona and the surrounding area. When we were in Barcelona we did go to both Monserrat and the Guida museum, both well worth the trip.

http://www.hulu.com/#!search?q=rick+steves+barcelona
Do you mean Gaudi?
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-18-2012, 03:29 PM   #1203
valbob89
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyIL View Post
Do you mean Gaudi?
yes, that was what I was thinking but I should have said Dali.
Old 11-21-2012, 12:50 PM   #1204
Ladyshopper
Mouseketeer

Finally I have got everything sorted, and am booked onto this cruise!!!

So excited, and less time to wait now. Two weeks onboard is going to be amazing.

First priority - how do I sign up for the fish extender group?? Also, is there a facebook group, if so how do I go about getting an invite to that.

Will have a read back through the thread over the weekend when I am on my days off work.
Old 11-21-2012, 03:21 PM   #1205
Tink1987
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladyshopper

So excited, and less time to wait now. Two weeks onboard is going to be amazing.

First priority - how do I sign up for the fish extender group?? Also, is there a facebook group, if so how do I go about getting an invite to that.

Will have a read back through the thread over the weekend when I am on my days off work.
Welcome aboard - glad you got it all sorted!

Did you get a good price on flights in the end then?
April 2005 - Disneyland Paris - Santa Fe | June 2006 - Lanzarote | June 2007 - Cyprus | March 2008 - New York | November 2008 - Mexico | June 2009 - Cuba | December 2009 - Orlando - International Drive | April 2010 - Marrakech | August 2011 - Bruges | March 2012 - Paris and Disneyland Paris - Sequoia Lodge | June 2012 - Norway Fjords on the P&O Azura | August 2012 - Amsterdam | September 2012 - Berlin and Budapest | May 2013 - Eastbound Transatlantic on the Disney Magic | August 2013 - Ghent, Antwerp and Bruges | January 2014 - Road Trip from Las Vegas to Los Angeles | May 2014 - Disneyland Paris | September 2014 - Orlando - WDW's Saratoga Springs | December 2014 - Bruges

http://www.flickr.com/photos/markcollettephotos/
Old 11-21-2012, 04:39 PM   #1206
Ladyshopper
Mouseketeer

£432 each from Heathrow to Houston.

Used Avios for Barcelona back to Heathrow, so just £15 taxes each - a bargain! Downside is the flight doesn't go until 19.20 pm, so go a long wait at Heathrow after disembarking!
Old 11-21-2012, 04:41 PM   #1207
MandyGirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladyshopper View Post

WELCOME ABOARD!!

Here's a link to the facebook group https://www.facebook.com/groups/436992032989082/
Old 11-21-2012, 04:43 PM   #1208
Ladyshopper
Mouseketeer

Thanks Mandygirl. Have just asked to join (my first name is Jody for any of the admin on the group!).
Old 11-21-2012, 04:46 PM   #1209
MandyGirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladyshopper View Post
Thanks Mandygirl. Have just asked to join (my first name is Jody for any of the admin on the group!).
I just added you
Old 11-21-2012, 05:28 PM   #1210
Tink1987
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladyshopper
£432 each from Heathrow to Houston.

Used Avios for Barcelona back to Heathrow, so just £15 taxes each - a bargain! Downside is the flight doesn't go until 19.20 pm, so go a long wait at Heathrow after disembarking!
Nice price! That going on Friday 17th?

We need to sort our hotel in Galveston, it's the one thing we have left to do!
April 2005 - Disneyland Paris - Santa Fe | June 2006 - Lanzarote | June 2007 - Cyprus | March 2008 - New York | November 2008 - Mexico | June 2009 - Cuba | December 2009 - Orlando - International Drive | April 2010 - Marrakech | August 2011 - Bruges | March 2012 - Paris and Disneyland Paris - Sequoia Lodge | June 2012 - Norway Fjords on the P&O Azura | August 2012 - Amsterdam | September 2012 - Berlin and Budapest | May 2013 - Eastbound Transatlantic on the Disney Magic | August 2013 - Ghent, Antwerp and Bruges | January 2014 - Road Trip from Las Vegas to Los Angeles | May 2014 - Disneyland Paris | September 2014 - Orlando - WDW's Saratoga Springs | December 2014 - Bruges

http://www.flickr.com/photos/markcollettephotos/
Old 11-24-2012, 03:53 PM   #1211
Transatlantic H20
Earning My Ears

Does anyone have any advice on the chip-and-pin credit cards needed for your credit cards to work in Europe?

For this express purpose I recently applied for a credit card marketed to tourists, but I've heard it referenced as a "chip-and-signature card" as opposed to a "chip-and-pin" and now I am confused.
Old 11-24-2012, 04:38 PM   #1212
NancyIL
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transatlantic H20 View Post
Does anyone have any advice on the chip-and-pin credit cards needed for your credit cards to work in Europe?

For this express purpose I recently applied for a credit card marketed to tourists, but I've heard it referenced as a "chip-and-signature card" as opposed to a "chip-and-pin" and now I am confused.
You don't have to have a chip and pin credit card - as long as a US credit card can be run manually. You could have trouble at unmanned ticket machines without one, however, so make sure you have some local currency.
Old 11-24-2012, 07:01 PM   #1213
woody73
Enjoyed the Pumpkinmen
Never liked the idea of using a snorkel after someone else

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyIL View Post

You don't have to have a chip and pin credit card - as long as a US credit card can be run manually. You could have trouble at unmanned ticket machines without one, however, so make sure you have some local currency.
Good idea to have some local currency. At Barcelona, I was unable to buy a metro pass from the automated ticket machine using my US-issued VISA card. Also, when I tried to use my VISA card to make a purchase at the FNAC store (books and CDs) at Plaza Catalunya, the cashier required my passport, which was back in the hotel room safe.

Woody
Old 11-25-2012, 08:00 AM   #1214
GoofyNewfie
Mouseketeer

If you do have a chip and pin card but never use the pin, make sure you know it. My experience in London lately is that they won't often let you do a manual swipe if it's a chip and pin. Coworker I've been travelling with has been stuck a few times and I've had to pay. Hope he figures it out next trip.

I know London's not exactly on our itinerary but a few folks seem to be thinking about a post-cruise trip to London and Paris.

I also agree with the local money. I find cabs and small stores the worst for not wanting to take credit cards.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:06 AM   #1215
GoofyNewfie
Mouseketeer

I'm no expert, but another thing I've noticed with my recent many trips to London is that the money changing vendors in airports and such charge extraordinarily bad conversion rates to buy local currency.

For example, I can buy GBP with CAD at my local bank for $1.62. They were charging $1.72 when I went past yesterday.

And, something else I've recently noted, but not really figured out for sure is when using the credit card to purchase something that they'll ask me if I want to pay in CAD or GBP. If I pay in CAD, I'm getting a much worse rate than my bank/CC company charges. So I've started just saying GBP is fine.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: