Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 11:01 AM   #541
valbob89
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofyNewfie View Post
Hey Everyone,

With the WBTA no longer going to materialize, it looks like people are settling into this cruise. So maybe it's time to really start getting organized.

Valbob89, P17blo, and I have been going back and forth for a while on a website for the cruise (as the first post to this thread shows).

We know there's already a Facebook page for the cruise, but it seems like that only serves part of the need and not everyone is on Facebook. Since it's a closed group, not all people can't see what's going on.

What I'd like to propose is that we spin up a Google Site website which I'll be the webmaster of (most of it is already spun up) and have Valbob and P17blo help out where we need it. I will be able to open up individual pages for other contributers (as long as they sign up for a google account and will share their email address with me) which will allow various event organizers to do their own thing. Or, if an event organizer is not comfortable with the bit of techy-ness required, I'll be happy to do what they'd like done.

I would propose that the purpose of the website is to be the organized collection of most of the things that have been decided, organized, found, etc. Facebook and Disboards can continue to be the place where discussions can take place and such but we'll collect important things and get them put onto the website as well.

Does this make sense? If I get some agreement, I'll put a few more finishing touches on the website and ask Valbob to add the link to the first page. Then we can get organizing. Valbob says that people have been asking about signing up for things so let's get it done.

Please express your thoughts in the thread or PM me directly.
Chris

Thanks so much for taking this on. When you think the site is ready for prime time, let me know and I'll post the link on the first posting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binkytell View Post
INFO FOR FISH EXTENDER

If you would like to join in the FE exchange, please PM binkytell (SARAH) with your Disname, names of everyone in the room participating - first and surnames - and relationship to you (DH, DD, etc), ages of children, and your room number (if known). If you would prefer that your childrens' names not be posted publicly, just let me know. I'll keep them on my list, but I'll only put the relationship identifier (DD, DS) on the list here.

Some people do like to do separate gifts for children so it can be helpful to let us know childrens age and gender. I also will not post surnames. Some folks need the names for their FE gifts, so I will only pass them on to those people.

You MUST send me a PM with your information in order to be included in the FE!!!! Simply mentioning your desire to participate in a post on the thread will not get you included.

we can agree a cut off date and numbers per group that suits the majority at a later date.

remember Whatever you decide to give will be enjoyed and appreciated, its the taking part that counts

sarah xx
Sarah - Thanks for stepping up and taking this on. I'll send a PM.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:26 AM   #542
kaseyC

Mother of Three Lovely Princesses
DVC Owner - BWV

Quote:
Hey Everyone,

With the WBTA no longer going to materialize, it looks like people are settling into this cruise. So maybe it's time to really start getting organized.

Valbob89, P17blo, and I have been going back and forth for a while on a website for the cruise (as the first post to this thread shows).

We know there's already a Facebook page for the cruise, but it seems like that only serves part of the need and not everyone is on Facebook. Since it's a closed group, not all people can't see what's going on.

What I'd like to propose is that we spin up a Google Site website which I'll be the webmaster of (most of it is already spun up) and have Valbob and P17blo help out where we need it. I will be able to open up individual pages for other contributers (as long as they sign up for a google account and will share their email address with me) which will allow various event organizers to do their own thing. Or, if an event organizer is not comfortable with the bit of techy-ness required, I'll be happy to do what they'd like done.

I would propose that the purpose of the website is to be the organized collection of most of the things that have been decided, organized, found, etc. Facebook and Disboards can continue to be the place where discussions can take place and such but we'll collect important things and get them put onto the website as well.

Does this make sense? If I get some agreement, I'll put a few more finishing touches on the website and ask Valbob to add the link to the first page. Then we can get organizing. Valbob says that people have been asking about signing up for things so let's get it done.

I really like that idea. A big thanks to you all who are developing it.
BC/ Disney Wonder 2000 ~ Poly Concierge 2002 ~ BC Concierge 2003 ~ SSR 2004 ~ BWV 2005 ~ WL Concierge 2006 ~ Disney Wonder/BWV 2006 ~ BWV 2007 ~ Disney Magic Trans-Atlantic Repo 2007 ~ Disney Magic W. Caribbean 2007 ~ AKV 2008 ~ BWV F&WF 2008 ~ Poly CL 2008/2009 ~ BCV/ Disney Magic E. Caribbean 2009 ~ BWV 2010 ~ AKV/ Disney Dream B2B 2011~ BW Flower & Garden Weekend 2011 ~ BLT 2012 ~ Disney Fantasy E. Caribbean 2012 ~ Disney Magic EBTA 2013 ~ Disneyland Paris 2013 ~ Disney Magic EBTA 2014 ~ Grand Californian CL 2014
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-27-2012, 11:31 AM   #543
spark21
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubbsteruk View Post
We have booked through BA using avios (new name for airmiles) it comes in really handy for one way flights. We are going Manchester-heathrow-Dallas and only pay the taxes & charges.

If you shop at Tesco you can build up the miles quickly using clubcard points. It is also possible to earn miles through credit card usage. Most Amex cards offer a scheme to collect miles when using their cards.

When we went on the WBTA in 2011 we had the same issue with one way flights and ended up booking through virgin cruises just to get the one way flight back from Orlando, I'm not sure if this would be possible with it going out of Texas.

When on the cruise a lot of people said Icelandic air were good for one way flights via reykjavik but again this was to Orlando, I'm not sure if they go into Texas.

You could fly into Orlando with either of the above options and then look at getting an internal flight into Houston

Hope this helps

Paul
We have booked our flights - we managed to get a taxes only flight from Gatwick to Orlando on Virgin and then it was only £275 for the two of us to fly from Orlando to Houston the night before the cruise - this way we get some days at Disney world and the minimum amount of time stuck in airports
Old 06-27-2012, 12:22 PM   #544
valbob89
DIS Veteran

Group Activities

The DISboard groups have organized a number of activities, especially on the longer cruises. Most in the group participate in some of them, few join all. Others decide to enjoy only the planning portion. Whatever works for you is fine. Here is a list of the activities I recall. Some I have organized, others I have participated in.

If you are willing to take the lead on any of them, let us know. If you would like to add an activity to the list, that would be great too. If you are willing to take the lead but would like help or input from past organizers, just let us know.

Group Web-site - GoofyNewfie
Roll Call - GoofyNewfie
Shared Graphics - ValBob89

Pre-Cruise Meets

All Aboard Meet and Greet

Fish Extender Exchange - binkytel

Group Shirts - ValBob89

Candy Swap - Tubbsteruk

Postcard Exchange

Champagne Girls Gala

Room Tour

Scrap Booking

Jewelry Making

Private Tastings - DISNEYMOUSEHOUSE

PJ Breakfast - Tink1987

Secret Mickey

Last edited by valbob89; 06-28-2012 at 12:01 PM.
Old 06-27-2012, 12:39 PM   #545
mowgli2011
Earning My Ears

We've booked our flight! We have decided to fly first to Orlando because that is a lot cheaper from here than fly straight to Texas. So we decided to visit Disney World first wich is great, I've never been there. We booked with Aer Lingus just only the trip to Orlando, not a flight back. Sometimes that will be cheaper, but with Aer Lingus it doesn't matter when you don't book a flight back home.
Since we booked it, it looks like this vacation is getting really close! I'm looking forward to it so much that I really wish we could go tomorrow.
The onboard activities sound really great, I really like meeting up with everyone, but I don't know what it all means. Is there a page or something or could anyone tell me a little bit about it? Thank you.
Old 06-27-2012, 02:41 PM   #546
padalyn
Truth is stranger than fiction - you really can't make this stuff up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatherb819 View Post
The FB group is called Disney magic EBTA Galveston to Barcelona 2013, just do a search for it and then ask to join and we'll accept your request.
Request sent I think! My fiancé will also send a request, she is less active here, but will enjoy FB.
Quote:
Hey Everyone,

Go for it1 one place for all groups... I love it!

Cayla
Oct - our one year anniversary - the last of 7 trips to celebrate our first year of marriage! (part 7)
2/15/15:.....Magic Cruise
5/15/15:...EBTA northern itinerary
July 2015....Vero Beach for turtle watch!
Nov 2015.....family trip to WDW for Thanksgiving
Past trips: .. .. .. WDW: (no longer counting). . . . . . . . .DLR:5 . . . . . . . . . .DLP:2 . . . . . . . . .The rest? not planned yet!
. .Cruises.(27 with total nights: 191)[Fantasy x3; Dream x4; Magic x12; Wonder x9]. . ABD:Imperial Cities
.DVC member since 2001
Oct 12, 2013: our handfasting day!!!! The most important day of my life.
2012:My Grand Slam!.. .. .. .. 4 - 3 - 2 - 1....4 ships, 3 ports, 2 coasts, in 1 year!!
Old 06-27-2012, 03:26 PM   #547
Tink1987
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Hey Everyone,

I think this sounds like the best idea, a Google webpage is something that we can all use easily, and as the OP said this thread will end up with too much information on it in the end!

Thanks so much for all of the effort you have put into this, I am not that great on tech but my partner is so if you need any more help with the website etc just drop me a PM
April 2005 - Disneyland Paris - Santa Fe | June 2006 - Lanzarote | June 2007 - Cyprus | March 2008 - New York | November 2008 - Mexico | June 2009 - Cuba | December 2009 - Orlando - International Drive | April 2010 - Marrakech | August 2011 - Bruges | March 2012 - Paris and Disneyland Paris - Sequoia Lodge | June 2012 - Norway Fjords on the P&O Azura | August 2012 - Amsterdam | September 2012 - Berlin and Budapest | May 2013 - Eastbound Transatlantic on the Disney Magic | August 2013 - Ghent, Antwerp and Bruges | January 2014 - Road Trip from Las Vegas to Los Angeles | May 2014 - Disneyland Paris | September 2014 - Orlando - WDW's Saratoga Springs | December 2014 - Bruges | April 2015 - Japan

http://www.flickr.com/photos/markcollettephotos/
Old 06-27-2012, 03:32 PM   #548
Tink1987
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by valbob89 View Post
The DISboard groups have organized a number of activities, especially on the longer cruises. Most in the group participate in some of them, few join all. Others decide to enjoy only the planning portion. Whatever works for you is fine. Here is a list of the activities I recall. Some I have organized, others I have participated in.

If you are willing to take the lead on any of them, let us know. If you would like to add an activity to the list, that would be great too. If you are willing to take the lead but would like help or input from past organizers, just let us know.

Roll Call

Pre-Cruise Meets

Group Shirts - ValBob89

Candy Swap

Postcard Exchange

Champagne Girls Gala

Room Tour

Scrap Booking

Jewelry Making

Private Tasting

I am happy to organise a PJ breakfast if people are still interested in that?
April 2005 - Disneyland Paris - Santa Fe | June 2006 - Lanzarote | June 2007 - Cyprus | March 2008 - New York | November 2008 - Mexico | June 2009 - Cuba | December 2009 - Orlando - International Drive | April 2010 - Marrakech | August 2011 - Bruges | March 2012 - Paris and Disneyland Paris - Sequoia Lodge | June 2012 - Norway Fjords on the P&O Azura | August 2012 - Amsterdam | September 2012 - Berlin and Budapest | May 2013 - Eastbound Transatlantic on the Disney Magic | August 2013 - Ghent, Antwerp and Bruges | January 2014 - Road Trip from Las Vegas to Los Angeles | May 2014 - Disneyland Paris | September 2014 - Orlando - WDW's Saratoga Springs | December 2014 - Bruges | April 2015 - Japan

http://www.flickr.com/photos/markcollettephotos/
Old 06-27-2012, 04:53 PM   #549
valbob89
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowgli2011 View Post
We've booked our flight! We have decided to fly first to Orlando because that is a lot cheaper from here than fly straight to Texas. So we decided to visit Disney World first wich is great, I've never been there. We booked with Aer Lingus just only the trip to Orlando, not a flight back. Sometimes that will be cheaper, but with Aer Lingus it doesn't matter when you don't book a flight back home.
Since we booked it, it looks like this vacation is getting really close! I'm looking forward to it so much that I really wish we could go tomorrow.
The onboard activities sound really great, I really like meeting up with everyone, but I don't know what it all means. Is there a page or something or could anyone tell me a little bit about it? Thank you.
I'll be happy to tell you about the two things I've taken on, the group shirts and graphics site.

If enough of us want to have a group shirt, I'll help with a design, based on input from the group and then organize with a company to have the shirts made. I did this for the Hawaii cruise and it really went well. Over 153 of us wore the shirts. Here is a picture we had taken of most of the group:

Many of us decorate our doors on the ship. We use magnets we make or have made and other items that we attach in a way that won't damage the paint. Graphics, cruise specific, are also used to make some of the FE gifts, scrapbook pages, tee shirts etc. By having the graphics in one spot, such as a Flicker group with public access, it make it easier. Also, they can be download to programs such as Photoshop and customized.

I'll put a brief description of each activity the group decides it wants to do on page one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink1987 View Post
I am happy to organise a PJ breakfast if people are still interested in that?
Thanks, I've added the activity and your name to the list.
Old 06-27-2012, 05:47 PM   #550
DisneyMouseHouse

Help! I am a DIS Addict!

Quote:

Roll Call

Pre-Cruise Meets

Group Shirts - ValBob89

Candy Swap

Postcard Exchange

Champagne Girls Gala

Room Tour

Scrap Booking

Jewelry Making

Private Tasting

PJ Breakfast - Tink1987
I'd be willing to see what I could do about the private tasting (as I am assuming that you are talking about wine or something similar) or even a private Mixology class if there is an interest in that......
"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it."

Our Travels
Old 06-27-2012, 05:48 PM   #551
Tubbsteruk
Earning My Ears

Quote:

Roll Call

Pre-Cruise Meets

Group Shirts - ValBob89

Candy Swap

Postcard Exchange

Champagne Girls Gala

Room Tour

Scrap Booking

Jewelry Making

Private Tasting

PJ Breakfast - Tink1987
Hi valbob89

I'm quite happy to take on the candyswap.

One thing on the WBTA 2011 which was good was a secret Mickey where participants were given a room to buy a gift for and the recipients stipulate whether it is a gift for all occupants of the room or just some, i.e just children, and give details of what the recipient likes such as princesses, fairies, toy story etc.

Our daughter loved this and thought that they were presents from the fairies. She was really excited every time we went back to our room to see if anything had been left.
Old 06-27-2012, 05:52 PM   #552
DisneyMouseHouse

Help! I am a DIS Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by padalyn View Post
Request sent I think! My fiancé will also send a request, she is less active here, but will enjoy FB.

Go for it! one place for all groups... I love it!

Cayla
I just sent a request on FB too - to me that is much easier than trying to follow all of the threads on the DIS - in FB if it's a topic you don't want to comment on it's so much easier to skip and you don't feel like you might have missed something -

Cheers!
"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it."

Our Travels
Old 06-27-2012, 06:50 PM   #553
txSleepingBeauty
New Rule:
The first person to reply on any thread needs to quote the OP. That way when someone does the delete of nevermind edit we know what was there before it got deleted.

Hi, I'm Kari and I think I've just about convinced my mom to come on this cruise with me. I actually live in Houston, and ironically will probably be moving to Galveston in the next couple of months!

I'm 34 (will be 35 next May!) and am a nurse. My mom is 59 and also a nurse in the Houston area. I'd be glad to give anyone local info if they need it.

This will be my 5th cruise and 2nd long cruise (we did the 15 night Westbound PC a couple of years ago). I've always wanted to do a transatlantic!
Old 06-27-2012, 07:10 PM   #554
GoofyNewfie
Mouseketeer

I'll take care of the Roll Call on the website. But I'm trying to figure out why the web page submission to get added isn't working.
Old 06-27-2012, 07:33 PM   #555
GoofyNewfie
Mouseketeer

Can anyone point me to a good explanation of what the whole Fish Extender thing is all about? There must be one here on the Dis somewhere but a search yields way too many links.

If I can get a good one, I'll get it up on our website. I'm sure there's lots of people that don't know much about it.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: