Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 03:16 PM   #3631
Tink1987
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHugsForEeyore

We're going to cancel our 11C GTY and rebook the OGT rate. I think the £220 extra for a window is still worth it - it's not like we had a particular room # anyway. For a shorter cruise it might not be worth it, but for 14 nights, it definitely is (to us anyway)
I think we are a bit more hesitant to rebook because we had a actual room number - we had read reviews online and it seemed a good room - I'm sure we will be deliberating for the rest of the weekend at least lol
April 2005 - Disneyland Paris - Santa Fe | June 2006 - Lanzarote | June 2007 - Cyprus | March 2008 - New York | November 2008 - Mexico | June 2009 - Cuba | December 2009 - Orlando - International Drive | April 2010 - Marrakech | August 2011 - Bruges | March 2012 - Paris and Disneyland Paris - Sequoia Lodge | June 2012 - Norway Fjords on the P&O Azura | August 2012 - Amsterdam | September 2012 - Berlin and Budapest | May 2013 - Eastbound Transatlantic on the Disney Magic | August 2013 - Ghent, Antwerp and Bruges | January 2014 - Road Trip from Las Vegas to Los Angeles | May 2014 - Disneyland Paris | September 2014 - Orlando - WDW's Saratoga Springs | December 2014 - Bruges | April 2015 - Japan

http://www.flickr.com/photos/markcollettephotos/
Old 02-09-2013, 05:58 PM   #3632
BigHugsForEeyore
DIS Veteran

Okay, cruise booking changed! They were able to move our 11C GTY to an OGT without any problems. They transferred the money over to the new booking and I just had to pay the price difference of £27.56! They were also able to transfer our Palo brunch and two excursions over too
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-09-2013, 06:26 PM   #3633
Kirbo
Runs with Scissors

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHugsForEeyore View Post
Okay, cruise booking changed! They were able to move our 11C GTY to an OGT without any problems. They transferred the money over to the new booking and I just had to pay the price difference of £27.56! They were also able to transfer our Palo brunch and two excursions over too
Did you lose your deposit or did they just transfer everything?
Old 02-09-2013, 06:36 PM   #3634
MandyGirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Congrats!
Old 02-09-2013, 06:56 PM   #3635
JimmyL47
Gotta Luv Cruisin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyGirl View Post
Awesome!! That is such a cool story on meeting Jimmy.

My dream concert to attend would be one on my beloved St John. He has done a private concert at the Westin there before (a company retreat had rented out the resort) but from what people said, lots of people arrived in dinghies in the bay to listen. Ahhhh, I could only imagine.

Have you ever been to one of his concerts in Vegas? It's like the entire strip is wearing coconut bras and grass skirts.

Hubby has already traded off the day we think he might be having a concert near us this spring (just in case.... going off the rumors) Amazed he got a weekend day traded off so quickly. I think he just knew I would go either way with or without him

Never in Las Vegas, Although bringing a party guy to THE party town sounds like a good time. I have seen him twice in DC the last couple of years. Years ago I saw hime 4 straight years in Jacksonville, FL where I grew up.

My youngest son is the catering manager at one of the Vegas hotels, I have sent him an e-mail suggesting that a visit might be in order if Jimmy was ever in town.
Old 02-09-2013, 07:05 PM   #3636
BigHugsForEeyore
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirbo View Post
Did you lose your deposit or did they just transfer everything?
We lost the 10% deposit, but even after the deposit was taken off, it was still only £27.56 more (and the loss of the OBC).
Old 02-09-2013, 07:40 PM   #3637
MandyGirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyL47 View Post
Never in Las Vegas, Although bringing a party guy to THE party town sounds like a good time. I have seen him twice in DC the last couple of years. Years ago I saw hime 4 straight years in Jacksonville, FL where I grew up.

My youngest son is the catering manager at one of the Vegas hotels, I have sent him an e-mail suggesting that a visit might be in order if Jimmy was ever in town.
You need to do that for sure. He performs at MGM Arena but lots of things going on elsewhere, especially at Margaritaville at the Flamingo. It was a hoot! Definitely do that. No other concerts are showing up on his tours, but I think last year was October as well. Usually two different weekends.

In fact... for Pirate Night on my Magic cruise in November, it was actually election night. I wore a tshirt I have for my pirate costume that is essentially the "Pirate Looks at Forty" tshirt. The front said "Put a REAL Pirate In Office... Jimmy Buffett for President". It was perfect since it was Pirate Night *and* election night!
Old 02-09-2013, 08:39 PM   #3638
Kirbo
Runs with Scissors

Quote:
We lost the 10% deposit, but even after the deposit was taken off, it was still only £27.56 more (and the loss of the OBC).
Thank you! And congrats

I'm figuring that with our Disney Air it will cancel that out. But I'm very pleased that some of you will be able to take advantage of it
Old 02-09-2013, 10:18 PM   #3639
twopeasonepod
DIS Veteran

Hey everybody, just wanted to pass on some info re: weight loss. I saw the posts on FB. There is huge evidence that poor sleep is very much related to weight. Here is part of an article I copied and pasted from APA (I did the bolding):

The cardiometabolic trap
Subsequent studies have confirmed the effects of partial sleep loss on hormone regulation and have led to a burgeoning of research on the role of sleep in obesity, diabetes and cardiovascular disease — a tangled triumvirate of sickness and mortality that are key elements of what researchers sometimes refer to as cardiometabolic disease. In a 2012 article published in the American Journal of Human Biology, UC biomedical anthropologist Kristen Knutson, PhD, reviewed research on sleep and cardiometabolic health and concluded that sleep restriction leads to "substantial and clinically significant changes in appetite regulation, hunger, food intake, glucose metabolism and blood pressure control." Knutson also found a significant association between short sleep duration (less than six hours per night, in most studies) and either more obesity or a higher body mass index. Adolescents and children showed a stronger association, suggesting they may be especially vulnerable to the effects of lost sleep.
One way in which lack of sleep may thwart cardiometabolic health is by skewing people's dietary choices. In a 2011 study published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition by a large multicenter team, healthy men and women who were restricted to just four hours of sleep per night over six nights took in significantly more calories, particularly from fat, than their well-rested counterparts — and they didn't make up for it by burning more energy.
Another study, conducted by Arlet Nedeltcheva, MD, and colleagues at UC and published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition in 2009, found that adults who were allowed to sleep only 5.5 hours per night for two weeks indulged in more snacks than their counterparts who enjoyed 8.5 hours of sleep each night. Likewise, in a 2012 yet-to-be-published study that drew on data from the CDC's 2007–08 National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, Knutson, Grandner and colleagues mapped dietary patterns to sleep complaints including difficulty falling asleep, difficulty staying asleep, non-restorative sleep and daytime sleepiness. Every complaint, they found, was significantly associated with greater total caloric intake.
In a 2012 study published in the Annals of Internal Medicine, a team of UC researchers uncovered a molecular clue to how lack of sleep might promote diabetes: Fat cells in people who don't get enough sleep have a 30 percent reduced ability to respond to insulin. Fortunately, the biochemical processes that sleep loss sets in motion may reversible, at least if skipping sleep doesn't become a lifelong habit. In September, psychologist Karen Matthews, PhD, of the University of Pittsburgh, reported in SLEEP that if teens who normally got six hours of sleep per night were allowed just one extra hour of sleep, their insulin resistance improved by 9 percent.

So if you are trying to lose weight for the cruise, make sure you get good sleep (which is literally supposed to be 8 hours)!

Good night!

Old 02-10-2013, 03:53 AM   #3640
dee slack
DIS Veteran

I can sleep for England whether I'm fatter or slimmer

Disney Vow Renewal Wedding Pavilion Dec 13th 2007
Visited EVERY Disney park on the planet!!

Disney Magic 1998*Rocky Mountaineer & Canada 05/02 *Florida 12/02*tour of Italy 05/03 *Kenya safari 12/03 *US S'west states 05/04 *Dubai 12/04 *China & HK 05/05 *Barbados & Royal Clipper 12/05 *Sth Africa, Swaziland, Zambia,Botswana 05/06 *India 12/ 06 *Iceland 05/07 *Florida 12/07 (VR) & 10/10* Baltic Cruise 05/11*Tanzania safari 12/11 * tour of Turkey 05/12* Japan tour & TDR 10/12* DCL EBTA 5/13 * HKDL, Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand & Singapore 04/14 * Norway 5/14
Old 02-10-2013, 07:08 AM   #3641
gonecrusin
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by twopeasonepod View Post
Hey everybody, just wanted to pass on some info re: weight loss. I saw the posts on FB. There is huge evidence that poor sleep is very much related to weight. Here is part of an article I copied and pasted from APA (I did the bolding):

The cardiometabolic trap
Subsequent studies have confirmed the effects of partial sleep loss on hormone regulation and have led to a burgeoning of research on the role of sleep in obesity, diabetes and cardiovascular disease — a tangled triumvirate of sickness and mortality that are key elements of what researchers sometimes refer to as cardiometabolic disease. In a 2012 article published in the American Journal of Human Biology, UC biomedical anthropologist Kristen Knutson, PhD, reviewed research on sleep and cardiometabolic health and concluded that sleep restriction leads to "substantial and clinically significant changes in appetite regulation, hunger, food intake, glucose metabolism and blood pressure control." Knutson also found a significant association between short sleep duration (less than six hours per night, in most studies) and either more obesity or a higher body mass index. Adolescents and children showed a stronger association, suggesting they may be especially vulnerable to the effects of lost sleep.
One way in which lack of sleep may thwart cardiometabolic health is by skewing people's dietary choices. In a 2011 study published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition by a large multicenter team, healthy men and women who were restricted to just four hours of sleep per night over six nights took in significantly more calories, particularly from fat, than their well-rested counterparts — and they didn't make up for it by burning more energy.
Another study, conducted by Arlet Nedeltcheva, MD, and colleagues at UC and published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition in 2009, found that adults who were allowed to sleep only 5.5 hours per night for two weeks indulged in more snacks than their counterparts who enjoyed 8.5 hours of sleep each night. Likewise, in a 2012 yet-to-be-published study that drew on data from the CDC's 2007–08 National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, Knutson, Grandner and colleagues mapped dietary patterns to sleep complaints including difficulty falling asleep, difficulty staying asleep, non-restorative sleep and daytime sleepiness. Every complaint, they found, was significantly associated with greater total caloric intake.
In a 2012 study published in the Annals of Internal Medicine, a team of UC researchers uncovered a molecular clue to how lack of sleep might promote diabetes: Fat cells in people who don't get enough sleep have a 30 percent reduced ability to respond to insulin. Fortunately, the biochemical processes that sleep loss sets in motion may reversible, at least if skipping sleep doesn't become a lifelong habit. In September, psychologist Karen Matthews, PhD, of the University of Pittsburgh, reported in SLEEP that if teens who normally got six hours of sleep per night were allowed just one extra hour of sleep, their insulin resistance improved by 9 percent.

So if you are trying to lose weight for the cruise, make sure you get good sleep (which is literally supposed to be 8 hours)!

Good night!
Very interesting! Wonder if that's why Freshmen in college tend to gain weight, hence the freshmen 15.

I love to do laundry

DVC since 1994 (OKW & AKL & BLT & VGC)
1994-2010 too many to list
2011 AKV/DCL(Alaska)/AKV/OKW
2012 VGC Disneyland/DCL Fantasy
2013 DCL Magic EBTA (DCL #13) and London
2014 Aulani
2015 Magic EBTA (Northern route)
Old 02-10-2013, 07:54 AM   #3642
WVURunner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonecrusin

Very interesting! Wonder if that's why Freshmen in college tend to gain weight, hence the freshmen 15.
I'm pretty sure Beer is the root cause of the Freshmen 15!
Old 02-10-2013, 09:41 AM   #3643
gonecrusin
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVURunner View Post
Don't think the majority of freshmen participate in underage drinking!

I love to do laundry

2014 Aulani
Old 02-10-2013, 09:46 AM   #3644
BigHugsForEeyore
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVURunner

What is a Freshman 15?
Old 02-10-2013, 09:57 AM   #3645
gonecrusin
DIS Veteran

Quote:
What is a Freshman 15?
Statistics in the US show that freshmen in college tend to gain 15 pounds during their first year of college.

I love to do laundry

2014 Aulani
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: