Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 05:16 PM   #2191
twopeasonepod
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyGirl View Post
At least they did it on the WBTA 2011 we were on, called the Character Campout. Not sure if an "all the time" thing for the longer cruises. We had to sign up, free, and our 5 year old had never ever spent the night away from us. Not even at the grandparents. She loved it!

Someone in this thread makes a mention of it too - I didn't realize they had a "campfire"...
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2945584
Campfire? Wowza! THAT would be awesome!!! Obviously I'm sure it's not a real fire, but when they do the volcano (or whatever that science lab experiment is), they literally blow the goopy liquid directly onto the ceiling. I'm sure they make it a great experience for the kids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirbo View Post
That's a huge weight difference! My girls always weigh the same amount, but one of them is about an inch taller than the other. Technically they are identical twins (I mean that they have the same DNA and are MZ), but I hate that term as they have quite a few differences. They are very similar but quite distinct as well. Sometimes I'm surprised when folks even notcie that they are twins!
Yeah, although I love having twins, it is important that they can be their own people, and that we enjoy all their differences. The boys still want to wear all the same clothes (brainwashed by me when they were younger, I'm sure), so people usually ask if they are twins, although they ask skeptically. They are both very tall, but one is off-the-charts tall, so he is about two inches taller (obviously he didn't get that from me haha).

They were a surprise to us, and it's been a wild ride since! They LOVE other twins, so although they will be super shy at first, they will surely ask your girls a lot of questions later!

Old 01-14-2013, 05:25 PM   #2192
ThePedersonFamily
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by binkytell View Post
these are the people who expressed they would like to sign up for linked dining on previous posts, if I posted incorrectly please let me know

Linked dining

LATE DINING

binkytell. Sarah, dh, dd11, dd2
mandygirl Mandy, dh, DMil, dd6, dd3
tubbersteruk. Paul, DW, dd4
kyrasmommy. DW, dh, dd10, ds5
heatherb819 heather, dh, dd10
nitrame 3a, dd9, dd6
hmhaaseDW, dh, dd6
saracat Sara, dh
kaseyc kaseyc, dd12, dd10
kirbo kirbo, dh, dd9, dd9

MAIN DINING

viking53 chuck, DW, dd5

We'd like to be linked to!!! late dining DH, DW, DD(11), DD(6)

Thanks!!!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-14-2013, 05:36 PM   #2193
Kirbo
Runs with Scissors

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaseyC View Post
Yep, I spent the rest of the day in the house, doing housework, trip planning and way too much time on the internet.
Sounds like my day! Glad you were warm.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:41 PM   #2194
Kirbo
Runs with Scissors

Quote:
Originally Posted by twopeasonepod View Post
Yeah, although I love having twins, it is important that they can be their own people, and that we enjoy all their differences. The boys still want to wear all the same clothes (brainwashed by me when they were younger, I'm sure), so people usually ask if they are twins, although they ask skeptically. They are both very tall, but one is off-the-charts tall, so he is about two inches taller (obviously he didn't get that from me haha).

They were a surprise to us, and it's been a wild ride since! They LOVE other twins, so although they will be super shy at first, they will surely ask your girls a lot of questions later!
When my girls were in Kindergarten they also wanted to dress alike. It might be an age thing. It was hard for their teacher, but she did learn to tell them apart! By first grade they rarely dressed alike. Now they never do. But they still like us to buy them similar clothes for the sake of being fair!

We were surprised to get twins, but we did find out pretty early, so that made it pretty easy and we were ready for them when they arrived.

My girls don't seem really taken by other twins, except that their closest friends are also twin girls! They do love being twins, however, and don't mind the added attention it sometimes brings. They are also kindhearted kids and will gladly talk with your boys.

For months I rarely checked in on this thread, but now that we're almost there I can't stop checking in
Old 01-14-2013, 07:48 PM   #2195
sdlong329
"Life is just a Fantasy!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking_53 View Post
My wife ... had bad experiences on Southwest before we were married. I realize it's over 7 years ago, but she's more nervous than I am.
No need to be nervous about flying on Southwest. Heck, anything can happen (could have happened) with any airline ... especially when departing or arriving from specific airports. Hopefully, all will be well for you this time.

Steven
Old 01-14-2013, 08:00 PM   #2196
WVURunner
DIS Veteran

Cheap Flight!

Just found our flights from Barcelona for $500 (roundtrip ticket though) So excited.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:08 PM   #2197
Kirbo
Runs with Scissors

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVURunner View Post
Just found our flights from Barcelona for $500 (roundtrip ticket though) So excited.
That is amazing! Can you share your details?
Old 01-14-2013, 08:10 PM   #2198
sdlong329

Quote:
Originally Posted by mboekhoff View Post
When we were on the EBTA in 2011, Most people (including me) gave more than one gift for FE. Small stuff, like chapstick, small toys, candy, or magnets, but did so multiple times over the 2 week period. ... it just seems more fun on a longer cruise to have the excitement last for the whole thing, not be over with in a couple of days. I don't think ANYONE wants to do an FE group with 60 cabins or 100 individuals. WOW, that would just be too much work I could be wrong though who knows.
We typically give custom-wrapped chocolate from Philadelphia ... the number of pieces distributed to each stateroom are based upon the number of people in the stateroom ... we do not give just one piece one day, then go back another day to give another piece. I guess, what I was trying to say was, if you are going to walk the entire ship 3 different times, to go to 45 different staterooms (15 * 3 trips) ... you are basically doing us about as much as we did on the last cruise (60), and you are likely spending MORE time, since you are walking the entire ship three times ... while we walk the entire ship once (divided 3 days).

In the past, we have often received baggies of various items, single items per stateroom, as well as single items for each person in a stateroom. I can't say we ever recall getting a single item from someone on multiple days. On any given 7-night cruise, it is usually suggested that not everyone distribute their FE's on the first night. Some have opted to make deliveries later in the cruise ... others divide deliveries equally over the span of the cruise. We typically receive FE's on every day of the cruise ... up until after dinner on the last night of the cruise. I believe, if you think about making a single trip to any given stateroom (in lieu of multiple trips), you will find it cuts down on a lot of time.

Steven
Old 01-14-2013, 08:18 PM   #2199
WVURunner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirbo View Post
That is amazing! Can you share your details?
Oh sorry, a bit overstimulated right now as my sister just went into labor! So excited to be adding another niece.

Departing Monday June 3rd on Swiss Air out of BCN, layover in Geneva and then on our way to JFK. We will grab a rental car and drive home, which should take us about 2 hours. I don't have the exact flight info on me.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:20 PM   #2200
sdlong329

Quote:
Even if split into cabins I will keep the numbers of people the same in each group or near enough
Consider that some people make a FAMILY gift ... one per stateroom. If there are 30 people in the group ... some may be bringing 7 or 8 FE's (assuming 4 per stateroom).
Old 01-14-2013, 08:24 PM   #2201
sdlong329

Quote:
Agreed - SCARED OF FLYING SAME DAY
Really? So, people changing airline tickets (referencing the comments) ... IS NOT scaring anyone ... even when they reference not wanting to miss part of the cruise?

One thing I can say for sure ... providing incorrect information (missing 11 days) is not a warning.

ADDING STRESS? Me? Uhhh ... so, warning (not MY words) someone they could miss their flight by flying the same day ISN'T stressful? CHANGING their reservation because of the warning ISN'T stressful? But, pointing out common sense ... number of segments, weather, and holding the ship for airfare booked through cruise line IS stressful.

Maybe we should all drive to the airport two days before the flight ... to avoid stress?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofyNewfie
C'mon Steven, that's a little rough. I'm sure no one is trying to "scare" anyone and I think you're adding more than a little stress to the way people worded things. People are sharing stories and opinions. No different than so many other topics we all warn each other about. It's up to each and every one of us to take a considered review of each opinion and decide whether each warning / recommendation / observation is something we should heed.
I am accused of SCARING people ... but you say nobody is trying to scare anyone? Yes, people are sharing stories and opinions ... so what's your point. Why is one person's observation considered SCARING someone. Why would one person's observation add stress? I don't really consider me having supplied an opinion, rather, thoughts on either options. Remember, I NEVER said someone SHOULD or SHOULD NOT fly prior to, or on embarkation day (as a side note, I prefer to fly the night before embarkation). How does that scare anyone?

When someone warns someone else they could miss a flight and miss 11 nights of a 14 night cruise (an outright false statement) it's no longer an observation, story or opinion. What's the motivation of providing wrong information?

Last edited by sdlong329; 01-14-2013 at 08:56 PM.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:25 PM   #2202
kaseyC

Mother of Three Lovely Princesses
DVC Owner - BWV

Quote:
Oh sorry, a bit overstimulated right now as my sister just went into labor! So excited to be adding another niece.

Departing Monday June 3rd on Swiss Air out of BCN, layover in Geneva and then on our way to JFK. We will grab a rental car and drive home, which should take us about 2 hours. I don't have the exact flight info on me.
Congratulations on you new niece and the great deal on air fare! Swiss Air is a great airline and the chocolate they provide on board is delish!
BC/ Disney Wonder 2000 ~ Poly Concierge 2002 ~ BC Concierge 2003 ~ SSR 2004 ~ BWV 2005 ~ WL Concierge 2006 ~ Disney Wonder/BWV 2006 ~ BWV 2007 ~ Disney Magic Trans-Atlantic Repo 2007 ~ Disney Magic W. Caribbean 2007 ~ AKV 2008 ~ BWV F&WF 2008 ~ Poly CL 2008/2009 ~ BCV/ Disney Magic E. Caribbean 2009 ~ BWV 2010 ~ AKV/ Disney Dream B2B 2011~ BW Flower & Garden Weekend 2011 ~ BLT 2012 ~ Disney Fantasy E. Caribbean 2012 ~ Disney Magic EBTA 2013 ~ Disneyland Paris 2013 ~ Disney Magic EBTA 2014 ~ Grand Californian CL 2014
Old 01-14-2013, 08:25 PM   #2203
Kirbo
Runs with Scissors

Quote:

Congratulations on the new addition!

And on the awesome airfare!
Old 01-14-2013, 08:29 PM   #2204
Kirbo
Runs with Scissors

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlong329 View Post
Really? So, people changing airline tickets ... commenting on the threads ... IS NOT scaring anyone ... even when they reference not wanting to miss part of the cruise? Seriously?
For me it really got me thinking about "what if." When we did the MR cruise we flew in the night before both times. We booked our own air. Getting Disney Air I didn't really think it through. But after reading the posts here I realized that I would worry too much if we were flying in the day of. It'd be stressful and not a great way to start our vacation (if everything went perfectly) and it'd be a total bummer if something went wrong and we missed a few days (or 11 days!).

Personally, I'm really glad that I read what other had to say about it. Helped me to make a more informed decision that is right for my family. That's one of the many things I like about these boards, you get other people's perspective and information to help out.

I've gotten tons of great advice from kcashner and NancyIL since joining here and now I'm getting more great stuff from folks on this thread.

So thank you, everyone! I really appreciate it.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:44 PM   #2205
sdlong329

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking_53 View Post
Where did you find a one way car rental for $60?? I couldn't find anything that cheap. DCL transfers are $90 for the three of us, and the cheapest car I cold find was $200 with a drop charge of $100 in Galveston.
When we were told there were no transfers from HOU, we were quoted about $65 +/- for an economy car, dropped off in Galveston, via Enterprise. While I am not sure, some of the quoted "drop charges" may be as a result of contacting an office which does not want to relinquish (retrieve, resupply) vehicles. As an example, when renting a car immediately outside of WDW, they will not generally charge a drop fee for Merritt Island and / or Cocoa Beach. To the contrary, Merritt Island and / or Cocoa Beach facilities often charge a drop fee to MCO. Your mileage may vary by rental agency, where you call, time of the year, contract, and type of vehicle.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: