Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Should we add a Community Sub Forum to the Budget Board?
Yes, I want a community sub-forum 43 27.56%
No, I like the Budget Board the way it is now. 113 72.44%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-23-2012, 01:44 PM   #16
StitchandPooh'sMom
Now if only I could think of something witty to say . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB2K View Post
Thing is, the Budget Board has evolved into something way different than it's original intention (to plan Disney trips on the cheap, which is what brought me in) --
While I agree with your post, and I also came to the Budget Board looking for ways to plan Disney trips inexpensively, I don't know if there is enough material to sustain the budget board if it is limited to Disney discounts. Room discounts are discussed on the Codes and Rates Board, airfare on the Transportation Board, and ticket brokers on the Theme Parks Board. I like knowing I can get mister fans at Walmart for cheaper or knowing that the Disney Store is having a sale or free shipping. I also like knowing when Target clearance goes 75% off, even though it has nothing to do with my upcoming Disney trip. I'd hate to see those posts go away (and maybe you're not suggesting that they do), but I also don't want to see it morph into relationship advice or a credit/finance board with no Disney connection.

I do think consistent application of whatever rules are decided would be a good thing. I know the moderators are overworked, but a better understanding by all of us of what should be on this board would be a good thing.
StitchandPooh'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 03:05 PM   #17
Claire&TheBoys
The Queen of the Castle!

I like this board the way it is. The CB has a lot of regular threads - followers of this and that - and I think topics like "Free Shipping at DMR" would get buried in a hurry. I think of the CB as more of pop-culture threads and I like the money-related topics here better. Thanks for letting us have a say!

"You see, it's just like I told you. Wishes can come true, if you believe in them with all your heart. And the best part is, you'll never run out of wishes. They're shining deep down inside you... because that, my friends, is where the magic lives."

More than 25 trips to Disney World since age 4, including:
Jan 2014: OKW - Feb 2013 (DPHM): CSR - Sept 2012: Pop - Nov 2011: Pop - May 2011: CSR - Jan 2011: All-Star Sports - May 2010: Pop Century - Nov 2009: Wilderness Lodge - May 2009: Shades of Green -
Aug/Sept 2008: CSR - Jan 2008: POFQ - Sept 2007: CSR - Sept 2004: FWCabins - Sept 2003: CSR - Jan 1997: Honeymoon at Westgate - Plus many trips as a child at FW!
Claire&TheBoys is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-23-2012, 03:15 PM   #18
Fjobe
DIS Veteran

I would like to see a sub-forum but not as a "community board" type thing. I would really like to see a separation of Disney/Vacation Budgeting and Family/Home/Life budgeting. I have seen so many threads that turn into "why are you coming to a budget board to ask about spending thousands on your Disney vacation?"

Fjobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 08:37 PM   #19
TosaTrio
DVC Owner @ SSR & VWL

Quote:
Originally Posted by StitchandPooh'sMom View Post
While I agree with your post, and I also came to the Budget Board looking for ways to plan Disney trips inexpensively, I don't know if there is enough material to sustain the budget board if it is limited to Disney discounts. Room discounts are discussed on the Codes and Rates Board, airfare on the Transportation Board, and ticket brokers on the Theme Parks Board. I like knowing I can get mister fans at Walmart for cheaper or knowing that the Disney Store is having a sale or free shipping. I also like knowing when Target clearance goes 75% off, even though it has nothing to do with my upcoming Disney trip. I'd hate to see those posts go away (and maybe you're not suggesting that they do), but I also don't want to see it morph into relationship advice or a credit/finance board with no Disney connection.

I do think consistent application of whatever rules are decided would be a good thing. I know the moderators are overworked, but a better understanding by all of us of what should be on this board would be a good thing.
Old 01-24-2012, 09:37 PM   #20
Rynosaur
Mouseketeer

i think there should be a sub-forum. i try and come to this forum to check out some deals, see how others save money, and see how they spend money. I understand that people feel comfortable and many are scared of change, but if you keep allowing this to be a place full of off topic topics then you should not call it the budget board.

also i am sure there are people who could help moderate, but people tend to moderate themselves. if you think you would have to mention the thread is OT, or "im not sure if this belongs here" then you know to put it in the sub forum. if your thread doesnt really have any numbers of any sort, then it probably doesnt belong in the budget board.

i know i can skip threads, but with so many off topics in this forum, i just stop reading and close the tab i have open for this forum.
Rynosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 07:01 AM   #21
My5Mouseketeers
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB2K View Post
I think the lack of a full-time, dedicated moderator is what enables some posters (who have never mentioned anything Disney) to come here, post their financial woes, and hopes we will solve all their problems.

Thing is, the Budget Board has evolved into something way different than it's original intention (to plan Disney trips on the cheap, which is what brought me in) -- anymore, it's become something of a place where some are seeking financial advice/airing their financial "dirty laundry" while there are others who come here to vent about anything that bothers them (which was made evident by a thread that was recently locked and caused me some issues because of a comment I made).
You have a very different definition of what this board is about than I do. It never occurred to me that you were only supposed to discuss ways to save money at Disney on this board. The description of this board says "Learn the 'in and outs' of smart earning, saving, and spending your money. Our motto: 'Any dollar saved or earned is another dollar for Disney!' Be sure to visit our DIScounts Page for more Disney money saving tips!"

If a person want tips on how to get a $300 for a cheaper price or how to make the $25 they have left to feed the family till payday, they should both be able to come here for advice. I do feel that there are quite a few Off-topic posts on this board. I think part of that is that the posters feel comfortable and know a lot of the personalities on this board AND they also feel that these people are more like minded with them. I cant see the harm in having a budget community board.

(17)(16)(16)( 12)(10)

My5Mouseketeers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 01:16 PM   #22
JB2K
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by My5Mouseketeers View Post
You have a very different definition of what this board is about than I do. It never occurred to me that you were only supposed to discuss ways to save money at Disney on this board. The description of this board says "Learn the 'in and outs' of smart earning, saving, and spending your money. Our motto: 'Any dollar saved or earned is another dollar for Disney!' Be sure to visit our DIScounts Page for more Disney money saving tips!"

If a person want tips on how to get a $300 for a cheaper price or how to make the $25 they have left to feed the family till payday, they should both be able to come here for advice. I do feel that there are quite a few Off-topic posts on this board. I think part of that is that the posters feel comfortable and know a lot of the personalities on this board AND they also feel that these people are more like minded with them. I cant see the harm in having a budget community board.
I'll leave it up to the DIS powers-that-be to determine what course to take with the board (after all, it's their money/website to do with as they see fit). I know if I were the owner, I would be a bit cautious with having financial advice dispensed from my board (coupon clipping is one thing, but sometimes, this board explores what I call "life-changing" financial advice, such as investing, which should be left to financial professionals). Just my take on it -- no need to read into it...

My main beef is that this board, one of the busiest on DISboards.com , has not had the presence of a dedicated host/moderator in well over 2 years and there are some people who take full advantage of that fact and continuously and throw-out the occassional post asking "how to transfer money to their PayPal account quickly".

In fact, it's going-on, right now, as you read this very post.

(The correct answer, BTW, is "buy a GreenDot Money Pak at nearly any convenience store/drug chain", but whenever that option gets suggested, the conversation suddenly takes a different direction by the OP).

But then again, if you're a regular around here, you already know what I mean...

Last edited by JB2K; 01-25-2012 at 01:43 PM.
JB2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 05:48 PM   #23
the5marions
Earning My Ears

I have lurked on this board for many years, although you will notice I just joined a few months ago. I joined when there was a similar issue about what direction this board should take, and at that time I stated that I like it as it is. If something is not of interest to me, i simply skip it. I have found much useful information and good ideas on this board - some related directly to Disney and some not. I say if it isn't broke, don't fix it.
the5marions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 12:37 PM   #24
StitchesGr8Fan
DIS Veteran

I like the idea Pete.
Old 01-27-2012, 12:49 PM   #25
elaine amj
DIS Veteran

It's such a busy board that I can see it benefting from subforums.

I don't see the point of a community subforum though - other than that some folks just feel more comfortable posting in only one board and get to know the people. I have spent many years on forums and I remember my first year or so, that's what I did too. I had no idea who else was posting other than my own forum. Eventually I discovered "view new posts" and found out about everyone else.

What i'd like to see would be several subforums:
- Disney-related budget talk
- Coupons, sales, and freebies

The main forum would be budgeting in general
elaine amj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 03:09 PM   #26
DisneyEater
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sookie View Post
Why doesn't someone just moderate this board and move off topic posts to the community board, with a trailing flag to show that it has been moved?

Seems like if someone actually was involved in moderating this board then this wouldn't be a problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elaine amj View Post
It's such a busy board that I can see it benefting from subforums.

I don't see the point of a community subforum though - other than that some folks just feel more comfortable posting in only one board and get to know the people. I have spent many years on forums and I remember my first year or so, that's what I did too. I had no idea who else was posting other than my own forum. Eventually I discovered "view new posts" and found out about everyone else.

What i'd like to see would be several subforums:
- Disney-related budget talk
- Coupons, sales, and freebies

The main forum would be budgeting in general
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fjobe View Post
I would like to see a sub-forum but not as a "community board" type thing. I would really like to see a separation of Disney/Vacation Budgeting and Family/Home/Life budgeting. I have seen so many threads that turn into "why are you coming to a budget board to ask about spending thousands on your Disney vacation?"
I agree with these posts. I would love to seperate Disney budget topics from household budget topics and if we have to have non-budget related stuff on here I would rather have a sub-forum for that as well, though i would prefer to just move it to the community forum in the first place.
DisneyEater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 12:43 AM   #27
superme80
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinrs View Post

I come here for budget advice, great deals and cool people. In fact, I come her to ESCAPE the CB!

I would welcome a subforum...with open arms!!
Glad to see I'm not the only one wh does that. I am all for a sub forum too.
DH-42 ME-33 DS #1-5 DS #2 2 DS #3 6 months old
superme80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 12:34 PM   #28
rockundergirl
rockundergirl

Search not sqash

INHO, I think its best to leave it the way it is. I think fundamental issues prevent the board from ever being 100% on topic, and attempts to create that type of environment will just destroy the appeal of the budget board.
1) Money is involved in EVERYTHING! Maybe you can't buy love, but you can buy/sell pretty much everything else. That fact makes almost any topic budget related. i.e. Should I declaw my cat... / no that's abuse so buy this product/yes that's best if the cat is destroying your property etc..
2) When I look around I see most of "off topic" info in the REPLIES to the posts. We start off talking about what grocery store near disney has the best deals and 2 pages later someone is getting flamed for not putting shopping carts back while simultaneously getting praised for creating jobs, because college kids need to work at supermarkets cleaning up shopping carts or the economy will collapse.

If the concern is getting your users to the correct information... tweak your search. I notice one word key phrases don't yield the results I'm after when I try to search threads. Maybe make more search parameters? ( date range , sort by most replies etc.. )

I happen to work in internet marketing and I'm wondering what the push for relevancy is about ? Just a lot of complaints?
2003 offsite
rockundergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 10:05 PM   #29
Rynosaur
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockundergirl View Post
I happen to work in internet marketing and I'm wondering what the push for relevancy is about ? Just a lot of complaints?
being in marketing you should have an idea about the important of things being relevant. you aim to hit the intended audience with hopes of gathering more interest.

we come here for budget related things, and some stay for the familiarity of the people who have discussed in the threads. And if some people just want to wish pixie dust on people or know who has filed taxes, they can should that in a sub forum, not the main budget board.

the goal is not 100% about money, it is staying the most relevant about how you budget your money. i.e.if you are looking to purchase or sell some things, tips on saving, investing and or managing. when things do go off topic, people can just say, "lets get back on topic" and if they do, great but if they dont, just move the post to the off topic forum and it can continue there.
Rynosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:39 AM   #30
rockundergirl
rockundergirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynosaur View Post
being in marketing you should have an idea about the important of things being relevant. you aim to hit the intended audience with hopes of gathering more interest.

we come here for budget related things, and some stay for the familiarity of the people who have discussed in the threads. And if some people just want to wish pixie dust on people or know who has filed taxes, they can should that in a sub forum, not the main budget board.

the goal is not 100% about money, it is staying the most relevant about how you budget your money. i.e.if you are looking to purchase or sell some things, tips on saving, investing and or managing. when things do go off topic, people can just say, "lets get back on topic" and if they do, great but if they dont, just move the post to the off topic forum and it can continue there.
well yes , you are correct. However from an internet marketing perspective the end game normally is to create conversions. That can be a product sale, a click on a banner, a sign up to a mailing list... etc. From a search marketing perspective in particular you want the words ( content) on each page of your website to be relevant to the ads that are served up this is a best case scenario for conversions. So lets say a lot of content and links use the word " dog" that can make an ad server put petsmart advertisements on that page. Which is something you want to avoid because for one when that ad is taking up the space of a relevant ad you are losing money for paid search and if the site you created is optimized for terms that have nothing to do with dogs you can loose organic search rankings etc.... Anyway that's kind of irrelevant in this case as I'm pretty sure they aren't thinking of creating a sub forum to aid advertising revenue... I was just curious. :-)
2003 offsite
rockundergirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: