Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > The Creative Community > Cooking
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2012, 02:19 PM   #1
TxAnn
Mouseketeer

crock pot questions

Since I received a new larger crock pot for Christmas, I'm on a mission to use it more often. I've really enjoyed looking over the crock pot crazy thread.

I have tried out several chicken recipes in the past, and have never been happy with how they turned out. The chicken always has a "mushy" texture. Has anyone else had this problem? I've only used boneless, skinless breasts before. I'm going to try the roast sticky chicken next week. Maybe using a whole chicken will make a difference in the texture?? Oh, and if you've used a whole chicken, did you remove the skin, or does that help with the flavor?
TxAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 06:59 AM   #2
Heluvsme
DIS Veteran

I agree with you. The skin on, in my opinion, just created one more issue to deal with, and didn't change the texture of the meat. The only thing I've found that kind of helps is to leave the pieces unbothered and in the largest pieces you can. Once it's done cooking, remove the large pieces and allow them to rest for a few minutes, then shred or dice or whatever you want, but to shred or dice while it's still in the crockpot will yield very mushy meat.

Pulled BBQ chicken turns out great in the crock pot for this very reason
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-23-2012, 12:41 PM   #3
greeneeyes
Mouseketeer

Boneless chicken will cook faster than that on the bone so many people will use them frozen or semi frozen even though you are warned not to; I have never tried this so I can't vouch for how it will turn out (I'm afraid of making everyone sick), I just cook it for the shortest time given. I love to cook chicken pieces on the bone in the crockpot and I leave the skin on; if you want you can brown it first for more flavor and better texture.

Remember to NOT overload the crock (fill only 3/4 full) and to not add too much liquid (only 1/3 the way up the food) unless it's soup or sauce. What I've done is gotten books from the library that have recipes close to the ones we like that are stove-top or oven made and to try them.
greeneeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 01:33 PM   #4
jamiesmom07
Mouseketeer

I cook EVERYTHING in my crockpots! I love them. But, I always use frozen meat, I leave very early in the morning and don't return til later in the evening so I use frozen meat and put it on low and everything turns out perfectly!!
Nov.25-Dec.3 2011 - POFQ
April 2010 - POR
April 2003 - All Star Movies
jamiesmom07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 01:43 PM   #5
tyniknate
DIS Veteran

I've had that problem with chicken too. Doesn't matter what cut I'm using or if I'm using a whole chicken. Guess it is just too long to cook it. Can never even get it to come out of the crock pot in big pieces. Always have to "strain" it out.

tyniknate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 03:22 PM   #6
MazdaUK
Curse this time difference!
You show me yours I'll show you mine!
Now I just want to go home and spread my bits of paper about

I find if I do crockpot lady's fajitas (I use chicken i/o steak) its a bit mushy as the chicken is in strips, but everything else is fine. I often use frozen or semi frozed, and give it an hour or so on high and rest on low (depending when we want to eat) and no-one's been sick yet! Just use common sense - if it looks pink give it a quick nuke in the microwave

I always take skin off, and mostly use skinless boneless breasts - bone-in can be difficult to remove bone, bits can break off. With whole chicken I take off skin and tend not to add liquid - just seasonings - and it tastes (and feels) like "real" roast chicken
DLP Disney Hotel New York May 2003
Disneyland - 2 days visit while staying at Sheraton Anaheim on honeymoon September 1990
MazdaUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 02:29 PM   #7
TxAnn
Mouseketeer

Thanks for everyone's input!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MazdaUK View Post
With whole chicken I take off skin and tend not to add liquid - just seasonings - and it tastes (and feels) like "real" roast chicken
Glad to hear this. I hope I have the same results!
Old 02-02-2012, 05:35 PM   #8
TxAnn
Mouseketeer

I made the roast sticky chicken from the crockpot recipe thread yesterday. Out of my family of 6, 5 of us really liked it! The only hold out was my 7 year old, but honestly he's not a big chicken fan no matter how it's cooked.

I finally made chicken in the crockpot that didn't taste mushy!
Old 02-03-2012, 06:09 AM   #9
MazdaUK

YAY! We also love the one with a packet of Stovetop on the top, or the crockpot lady one where you put the chicken on the bottom with pesto, cover with foil and put baked potatoes on the top - yummy!
Disneyland - 2 days visit while staying at Sheraton Anaheim on honeymoon September 1990
Old 02-03-2012, 03:25 PM   #10
TxAnn
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MazdaUK View Post
YAY! We also love the one with a packet of Stovetop on the top, or the crockpot lady one where you put the chicken on the bottom with pesto, cover with foil and put baked potatoes on the top - yummy!
Those both sound great too! I will have to try them soon. Thanks for the suggetions.
Old 02-04-2012, 02:07 PM   #11
MazdaUK

DS(12) is usually a bit "anti" baked potatoes (he won't eat the skin) but done in the crockpot they're not crispy and he eats every bite DSis bought both crockpot lady recipe books as after I sent her the link she was spending all day online looking at recipes

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: