Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 07:55 PM   #556
CALIFLADY
The Tag Fairy is jealous of you...Japan gets all the good electronics and video games first. Plus, DisneySea is so much cooler than any other Disney park. Can you be my tour guide when I visit?

Okay, W&D Half is in the books and all went well. Last year I pulled my calf around mile 6, but this year I managed to run injury-free. Not real fast, but injury-free. 2:28 and change.

They didn't have the cool guys on stilts in the middle of the road on the road to and from AK this year. Just some people waving huge butterflies on the side of the road this year. Lame. Maybe someone got knocked over in the past?!?

Overall, it was lots of fun. I rode Spaceship Earth and Soarin' afterwards. Didn't make it to WS before I crashed and headed back to the resort. I'm sure there will be a fourth W&D Half in my future.

The COOLEST thing happened later in the week. On Monday, I had Lunch with an Imagineer at the HBD in DHS. Nice lunch, good discussion, yada, yada. Flash forward to Friday, four days later. I decide to have a bite at the Main Street Bakery before I fly home (and before Starbucks takes over...). And who's having breakfast with colleagues at the Bakery, but the Imagineer from my Monday lunch! I said hello as I passed his table, grabbed some napkins, and sat down on the other side of the room. 10 minutes later, he walks over, pulls out a chair, and proceeds to tell me about how he redesigned the Bakery several years ago when they expanded it. He then asks me if I'd be interested of a tour of the glass blowing shop next door that he also designed when they expanded. 30 minutes later, we're still standing in the Crystal Arts shop discussing wood floors, reclaimed bricks, wallpaper, and photoshopped pictures on the walls. Totally amazing! When he got done, he said, "And now you're one of about 10 people who know the whole back story of this shop!" Way cool! Not as cool as my W&D medal, but cool, nonetheless.

Hope all the Ducks have a very blessed Thanksgiving holiday. Run safe and fast! And don't let anyone roast you (you're a duck, remember?!?)!

Old 11-21-2012, 10:54 AM   #557
liznboys
I wish upon stars!
I met the Tag Fairy in VMK!

Hi Ducks! Happy Thanksgiving! For the first time in years we are not hosting. I am thrilled. It's an exhausting holiday for the host! We'll be at my inlaws who live in South Carolina, just over the state line so only about a 20 min drive from us. Where will all of you be tomorrow?

I was diagnosed with bronchitis this morning so my planned 10/20 back to back this weekend will have to happen next week or the following weekend. We'll see how I feel I guess.

Renee~What a very cool experience you had! That'll be a great Disney memory forever. Congrats on W&D!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-22-2012, 10:49 AM   #558
airman
DisneyNerd

Happy Thanksgiving! Ducks and to the Ducks north of the border, Happy Thursday!.

Renee: WTG on the Wine & Dine finish. How cool is that getting an unplanned tour of the glass store. If we are all together at the MK someday, I want you to give us that tour and don't leave anything out.

Liz: for a speedy recovery.

I had a awful long run 2 Saturdays ago. My training schedule called for a 20 run, but that wasn't going to happen. I set out to do 15 miles and if things went OK, try to stretch it out to 17. At mile 10 my thighs seized up and the running slowed down. I kept going and finished with 15 miles, but a couple time I contemplated calling Debbie to pick me up at the park. I made the mistake of swimming the day before after work and I must have worked my legs too much.
I have been doing good with the cross training, 2 days of swimming, a short run with working on speed then some weights and core training and another day running on the track. This is the first time in over a year and a half that I have been doing the cross training and not just running 3 days a week. I think it will help in the long run as soon as I get over the soreness.

Have a great day everyone and enjoy the day.

Joe

">
Old 11-23-2012, 10:35 AM   #559
PhillyPhil
Earning My Ears

Hi Everyone!

Happy late Thanksgiving to everyone! It's been a while since I was able to post since my life has been pretty crazy! Jack and Zoey are doing really well and getting bigger every day, it seems. Big sister Alexa adjusted after a couple of weeks and is now a big help and will try to play with the twins if we aren't too careful...she turns two in a few weeks! My exercise routine has consisted of hour long walks with Alexa and never sitting down while trying to take care of all three kids. Just moved the treadmill to our new home theater room so hopefully I'll be able to stat sneaking some runs in during naps!

Hope everyone is doing really well and enjoying your day of shopping or hanging with your families!

Old 11-24-2012, 10:26 AM   #560
LadyDooley
Nothing is better than the Main Street Electrical Parade!!

Hey Ducks!!

I am stuffed from a food filled weekend!!

PHILLYPHIL: so happy to hear about the twins!! Everyday is an adventure!!

As for me, I have no races planned or scheduled, I am a mess!! I miss Disney but unless I win the lottery or something I can't get there until possibly next ToT race. I am a little sad at this thought.

Happy holidays to every one of you!!
Old 11-28-2012, 10:47 AM   #561
jenifred
Mouseketeer

Morning,

After a week of being a lame duck, I finally sucked it up and got my cortizone shot and z-pack yesterday. I'm finally getting over this cold! My Doc is a marathoner. When I told him I had the Reindeer Run on Friday and a 12-miler on Sunday (and after he heard me hacking for 15 minutes in the waiting room) he immediately pulled out the script pad and started writing.

OK - I am really starting to worry about my mom. She started running this summer and is doing the WDW Half. SO pround of her. She has NEVER exercised in her life. But she's hovering between a 16 and 16:30 pace. She is having a hard time breaking into 15. We are both afraid of the sweapers. I signed her up to do a local Half in December with no time limit. That way she will definietly be able to finish at least one Half after her training. She had no qualifying time, so I put a 15:00 pace when I signed her up for WDW. Any ideas about when the bib numbers are coming out? If she's in the last corral, what are odds I can sweat talk her into one or two corrals up at the expo so she has a little cusion?

Old 11-28-2012, 12:48 PM   #562
Mickeyfan74
Mouseketeer

Hello Ducks!

Hope everyone enjoyed their Thanksgiving.
I took full advantage of time off and put in a few days of 3 to 4 miles jogs.
Definitely burned off that Turkey.

Signed up for my 2nd Half This Saturday. Great weather forecast. Less than 500 people so this will be much less chaotic than WDW Half in Jan. Looking forward to that. Hoping to get a better time on this event to turn in for Jan. As long as I feel well enough. Got some kind of stomach crud. Drinking plenty of fluids to get rid of it. Crossing fingers.

Hope everyone else is feeling good and have great runs.

TTFN
Old 11-29-2012, 10:23 AM   #563
liznboys
I wish upon stars!
I met the Tag Fairy in VMK!

Happy Thursday Ducks! Gosh, only a couple days left until we are in DECEMBER! Can't believe it!

I am on the road to recovery from my bronchitis. I finished the z-pack on Sunday (but I guess it stays in my system until tomorrow). I started running again yesterday, did 3 miles. And today did 5 miles. I felt tired during those runs! My running partner is dealing with some stuff, too, so we are both needing to go slow. It makes my confidence level drop when I have to go slow.

I have to figure out when I can do the 10/20 back to back that I postponed from last weekend. I WANT to do them this weekend, but I don't know if I'm up for it. But, if I don't do it this weekend, it may never get done, and I NEED to get it done. I need to do my two planned "big" back to backs in order to feel mentally ready for Goofy. They just feel so daunting right now, even though the 9/18 I did a few weeks ago went great!

I am feeling like this is why Goofy may be my one and only full marathon ever. This training is not easy (mentally more than physically). Training for a half feels like a cake walk now. 10 miles for the longest training run? EASY! Twice that far, ugh!

Joe~I'm sorry that long run didn't go as planned. I hope your next one is better! That's great your crosstraining is going well though!

Phil~
I'm glad things are going well with your three kiddos, albeit chaotic! Hang in there, hope you can squeeze some running in!

Karen~I'm sorry you don't have any Disney races planned right now. The good thing is that time flies and I'm sure you'll be planning one before you know it!

Jeni~Get well soon! Yay for antibiotics (sometimes!) Lol!
My memory is awful so I can't remember when we've gotten bib numbers in the past. Perhaps the adrenaline of race day will help your mom with her pace. That's good she's doing a local half first, I think, to get that experience under her belt.

Colleen~I hope you get over your bug asap so you can rock your half this Saturday! Take extra good care of yourself!
Old 11-30-2012, 06:16 AM   #564
Maddykins06
Mouseketeer

Liz: Glad you're feeling better!
I absolutely agree with you about the Goofy being more mental.
I skipped some runs (O.K. a lot of run) just due to the fact I was losing all motivation & it wasn't fun anymore.

My longest so far is 12.5, but I'll do 14 this weekend.

I'm sorry I have posted much.
Hope everyone is well and enjoying the holiday season!

Last edited by Maddykins06; 11-30-2012 at 07:56 AM.
Old 11-30-2012, 06:41 AM   #565
Terapin
DIS Veteran

Good morning guys!

Glad you are feeling better, Liz.

Maddy: I am there too! Blah.

Mickeyfan: Good luck on your race! My last half had only a few hundred people and it was nice.

Phil: You sound like your guys are doing really well. Kuddos!

I'm hanging in there, myself. Knee is pretty good. Running these days means cold and windy weather. Blech. THis weekend I have 10miles scheduled on Sat and 6miles on Sunday - it is a pullback weekend for me.

Littlest is sick and I am hoping I don't follow him.

Have a great weekend everyone!

2014 Princess GSC! BLT/VGF/DCL stay
2014 Determined to do Dopey! BWV stay

Old 11-30-2012, 10:13 PM   #566
jenifred
Mouseketeer

Hey folks! So pumped. PR'd at the Reindeer Run 5K tonight!!! 29:44 mostly pumped because I am still getting over the crud. Woohoo!!!!

Old 12-02-2012, 07:37 AM   #567
Big Vic
DIS Veteran

Good morning Ducks!

Glad to see everyone is doing well with their training.

Mine, not so well. Was scheduled for 24 yesterday with the Galloway group. Made it just under eleven when my left knee said it had enough. This is the same issue I had with my right knee after the Donald this year, and the only thing I can do is rest it (not something I want to do at this point in time). But, one's got to do what one's got to do. This getting older deal sucks!

Jeni - WTG with the PR.

Carolynn - Hope your 10 and 6 milers went well.

Karin - Hang in there.

Liz - Glad you're feeling better. Hope you were able to get your training in this weekend.

Colleen - Hope your race went well.

Phil - Glad to hear the young'ins are doing well.

Joe - WTG with the cross training.

Everyone - Keep up the great work!

Old 12-02-2012, 09:11 PM   #568
airman
DisneyNerd

Hi Ducks!!

Jeni: Nice job on the PR
Vic: Hopefully the knee will mend quickly.

I did a 19 mile run yesterday, the swimming must be working, because I didn't have any leg pain during and after. My feet on the other hand feel like someone hit them with a stick. Just under 4 hours of pounding the pavement really beat up the feet. I am going to try another long run next week with another pair of shoes and see if that makes a difference.

So what is everyone doing the full plans to fight off hunger? I ate like I normally do before a long run, but by mile 10 I was starving. I ate a Cliff shot bloc that helped a little and had a chewy granola bar at mile 16 but that didn't sit well. Do they have anything other than Gu available during the run or should I stock Debbie up with snacks and hope she finds me on the course?

Have a great week everyone!

Joe

">
Old 12-03-2012, 07:29 AM   #569
disney_runner
Mouseketeer

Joe-
As I recall, there are bananas offered around mile 14/15 or so. Then around mile 22 or so, there's chocolate candy, licorice, and sugar stuff. There's probably bananas again, I don't remember. But that's pretty much it.

AK is about mile 13, so I don't even think we'll see spectators there. New course, so no clue. BUT - she could meet you in the parking lot (if they allow it) or somewhere near the McDonald's under the bridge along Osceola. Otherwise she'd have to wait until WWoS, mile 17. We'll have to wait and see where they advise spectators to go when we get the official race program.

You may have to bring your own food!!

Medals received: 2008 WDW Half ~ 2010 Princess Half + 2010 Disneyland Half = Coast to Coast ~ 2011 WDW Full ~ 2011 Wine & Dine Half ~ 2012 WDW Marathon Relay ~ 2012 Expedition Everest Challenge ~ 2013 Goofy Challenge ~ 2013 Dumbo Double Dare + C2C

Medals pending: 2014 ToT 10 miler, 2015 Dopey Challenge, 2017 January Half w/daughter, 2018 Glass Slipper Challenge, 2018 Tinkerbell Half, Avengers Half??
Old 12-03-2012, 11:19 AM   #570
Mickeyfan74
Mouseketeer

Happy Monday Ducks!

I did my half marathon Saturday posted time was 3:16

So I kept my usual walking pace. I was hoping I'd do better but having recovered from a stomach bug I figured that was great! At least I feel a whole lot better and I'm not really sore Maybe I should be going into full marathon training. Seems like 13 miles could be a walk in the park. But not jumping the gun yet. I think I can improve my time first on the halfs before I think about a full.

Happy training everyone. Feeling ready for the Half in Jan!!

Colleen
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: