Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 06:01 PM   #31
firecracker725
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by liznboys View Post
I've always just let mine air dry. I've heard the newspaper method that Karin mentioned works well! Were you able to get your run in?
Yes! I went ahead and did it on Monday afternoon. I decided to change my up my ratio to :45 run/1:45 walk. It was tough, but I finished strong.

Quote:
Just got the email telling about the Disneyland Half registration being open now. And anyway they listed the future races in the side with Marathon weekend as Jan 10-13. So I guess it's official. I can't wait for that registration to open. I need to sign up for Goofy before I chicken out!
How do you get email updates?

-------------

Last edited by firecracker725; 01-18-2012 at 08:49 PM.
Old 01-18-2012, 07:36 PM   #32
liznboys
I wish upon stars!
I met the Tag Fairy in VMK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by firecracker725 View Post
Yes! I went ahead an did it on Monday afternoon. I decided to change my up my ratio to :45 run/1:45 walk. It was tough, but I finished strong.

How do you get email updates?
Good job!

I only started getting emails from runDisney after I registered for my first race with them. Maybe they could add you to their list if you email them. This is the email address they send from: rundisney@disneysports.com
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-19-2012, 09:16 AM   #33
liznboys
I wish upon stars!
I met the Tag Fairy in VMK!

Well Ducks, I got some bad news today. Found out I have a stress fracture in my right foot. My third metatarsal of my right foot is broken. You could see the line plain as day on the X-ray. No running and I'm in a stinkin boot for the next three weeks. Then I go back for another X-ray to see where I stand. Ugh I am so annoyed!!!

So here's the "story".. A month or two (maybe three??) ago I noticed the top of my right foot would sometimes feel a little twinge. No big deal, it never hurt when I ran. Time went on and it became routine that every morning I woke up it would be hurting a bit. But soon after I was up and around for the day it felt fine. And again, it never hurt when I ran! Well these past few days I've noticed it hurting worse in the mornings, so I decided to get it checked. And there ya go.

He said that probably what's happening is that when I'm sleeping my foot is twisting around and getting aggravated. During the day it stays in a constant form. And it doesn't hurt when I run because my shoe acts like a cast so the area isn't moving too much. (But the impact is still happening hence not being allowed to run.)

I asked if I could still bike and he was kinda wishy washy on that. But I am going to. No way I'm not doing ANYthing for three weeks!

So now I have this ridiculous clunky boot on. It makes me taller on that side so I have to wear a shoe all the time on the other. (I'm not one to wear shoes around my house, gross, so that's "nice".)

Ugh. Ok vent over. Time to focus on healing.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:24 AM   #34
disney_runner
Mouseketeer

Oh, Liz. I'm so sorry to hear that! How odd that it's been broken for so long yet you ran not one, but TWO Half marathons! Crazy stuff. Better to be safe than sorry and rest, rest, rest. I know it's hard to do, I know!

You will bounce back. Heck, I did NOTHING for 4 months (including prior to and after) around my knee surgery. Not a thing. Nada. Zip. I got the official approval to start exercising the first week in July, and finished the Wine and Dine Half Marathon on October 1. That's just 3 months. 3 months! You now have just under 1 year for the Goofy. That's plenty of time. Plus, you're already in great shape to begin with, so it'll come back pretty quick.

My rambling point here is - listen to your doctor, rest and heal. You will still be able to do everything in time. I suck at patience (Disney buses?? Ahhh!), but managed through my injury and surgery and rehab. If I can do it, anyone can! Take it easy, OK?!!!

Forgot to also say, the best advice I got after I was injured was to enjoy my time off. (What? are you nuts? It took a few days for that to sink in my shocked brain) Really and Truly, take the time to enjoy it. You know that once you're able to, you'll be running and exercising again. So enjoy sitting around and relaxing for awhile. I know it sounds crazy, but it works! Watch some bad TV, catch up on books. Enjoy the break from running because you'll be back at it again soon enough!

Medals received: 2008 WDW Half ~ 2010 Princess Half + 2010 Disneyland Half = Coast to Coast ~ 2011 WDW Full ~ 2011 Wine & Dine Half ~ 2012 WDW Marathon Relay ~ 2012 Expedition Everest Challenge ~ 2013 Goofy Challenge ~ 2013 Dumbo Double Dare + C2C

Medals pending: 2014 ToT 10 miler, 2015 Dopey Challenge, 2017 January Half w/daughter, 2018 Glass Slipper Challenge, 2018 Tinkerbell Half, Avengers Half??

Last edited by disney_runner; 01-19-2012 at 09:36 AM.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:37 AM   #35
LadyDooley
Nothing is better than the Main Street Electrical Parade!!

Quote:
Well Ducks, I got some bad news today. Found out I have a stress fracture in my right foot. My third metatarsal of my right foot is broken. You could see the line plain as day on the X-ray. No running and I'm in a stinkin boot for the next three weeks. Then I go back for another X-ray to see where I stand. Ugh I am so annoyed!!!

So here's the "story".. A month or two (maybe three??) ago I noticed the top of my right foot would sometimes feel a little twinge. No big deal, it never hurt when I ran. Time went on and it became routine that every morning I woke up it would be hurting a bit. But soon after I was up and around for the day it felt fine. And again, it never hurt when I ran! Well these past few days I've noticed it hurting worse in the mornings, so I decided to get it checked. And there ya go.

He said that probably what's happening is that when I'm sleeping my foot is twisting around and getting aggravated. During the day it stays in a constant form. And it doesn't hurt when I run because my shoe acts like a cast so the area isn't moving too much. (But the impact is still happening hence not being allowed to run.)

I asked if I could still bike and he was kinda wishy washy on that. But I am going to. No way I'm not doing ANYthing for three weeks!

So now I have this ridiculous clunky boot on. It makes me taller on that side so I have to wear a shoe all the time on the other. (I'm not one to wear shoes around my house, gross, so that's "nice".)

oh so sorry to hear your tale of woe!

feel better soon and take advantage of the rest! let those boys cater to your every need!
Old 01-19-2012, 10:23 AM   #36
firecracker725
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I'm so sorry Liz! Rest and do what your doc says, and we'll be praying it'll heal quickly so you can get back on the road.

-------------
Old 01-19-2012, 06:15 PM   #37
Big Vic
DIS Veteran

Evening Ducks!

Liz - Sorry to hear about the foot. Take'er easy.

I tried jogging this evening and my right knee still isn't any better. Could feel pain from the right side of the knee up into my thigh. Guess its time to make an approintment with the Doc.
Old 01-19-2012, 07:18 PM   #38
TnTsParty
DIS Veteran

Hello Ducks. I found my way back. After taking a year off I plan to get back into running this year.

I plan on doing an 8k in February. I also want to do the TOT 10 miler especially since my first long distance race and first Disney race was the inagural TOT 13k. I also want to go Goofy again in 2013 - still can't believe I missed 2012.

Liz sorry to hear about your stress fracture. Take it easy and let it heal - you will be happy you did!!
Disney Races ~ TOT 13k 2007~1:36:12 ~ Minnie 15k 2008~1:49:39 ~ EEC w/DH ~ Disney 26.2 Marathon 2009~5:44:28 ~ Princess 1/2 Marathon ~2:32:15 ~ 2010 Goofy's Race and a Half Challenge~1/2 Marathon 2:54:27~Full Marathon 6:02:48 ~ 2011 Goofy's Race and a Half Challenge #2 ~1/2 Marathon 2:44:18~Full Marathon 5:46:54

Missing my BEST Brother in Law ~ Erik 04/30/1971~04/30/2009 ~ you're in our thoughts EVERYDAY
Old 01-20-2012, 01:50 AM   #39
luvpoohandcompany
DIS Veteran

Liz so sorry to hear about your foot. Hope it heals quickly
Old 01-20-2012, 07:16 AM   #40
ahoff
DIS Veteran

Wow Liz, that is sad news. But as Tanya says, you have lots of time to get ready for Goofy after you get the Doc's OK. Hope you heal fast!
Old 01-20-2012, 09:22 AM   #41
DizGirl20
DIS Veteran

Happy New Year Ducks! To all the new ducks, welcome to the pond

Now that I've got a few 5Ks under my belt, I hope to get in a few Half Marathons this year. My first one is scheduled for May 20th, here in NJ (Superhero Half Marathon and Relay). I was hoping to make it down for the TOT 10 miler, but my husband reminded me that he has a MS150 bike ride that same weekend, so now I am considering the W&D Half.

*I've got a fun question for everyone: what is on your playlist when you run? I usually put my iTouch on "shuffle" but lately I have been thinking I really should have a dedicated playlist. I like all kinds of music, so let me know what some of your favorites are and I'll create the Ultimate Ducks Playlist!

*Quick question for everyone: Hal Higdon or Jeff Galloway training plan?

Liz - Feel better, bet 3 weeks flies by! Did you hurt your foot last year or am I thinking of someone else? Oh and can you please add my name to the roster? Thanks for starting up the new thread!

Have a great weekend everyone. We are expecting some nasty weather so I will be on the treadmill!
Old 01-20-2012, 09:51 AM   #42
carissanboys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairestoneofall View Post
he is almost seven months old. so, they are close in age! yes, it is hard! i also homeschool my DD, so she's at home too.
How did I not know you homeschooled your daughter? Cool that we have a few of us Ducks who homeschool.

I have had such issues getting over to the Dis!! I don't know what's up but it's working at the moment so I'll try and say a quick QUACK.

Tricia -- Glad to see you back here!

Emily -- You too!

Moira -- You're doing awesome!

All other Ducks -- I've read through posts and am thinking about you all.

I finally got back to working out today. Did 30 minutes on the bike and got my fastest time yet. I did close to 8.5 miles. It felt great! I really needed that stress relief. With going back to school (online), my stress level has greatly increased, which has triggered my blood pressure to go up. I need to start making time daily for some exercise. And I'm going to start the DASH diet on Monday. In fact, the whole family will be. I'm looking to lose some weight, but mostly I just want to feel better.

I hope everyone has a fabulous weekend and Go Patriots!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

**NEW TR** S.O.C.K. and Stitch Return to the World with a Dog
Old 01-20-2012, 11:28 AM   #43
fairestoneofall
DIS Veteran

oh no, Liz! i have faith in you though--you can still be Goofy next year!

but seriously, take it easy. you don't want to injure yourself worse!

*DL Dumbo Double Dare-August 2014*POR January 2014*POP-October 2013*CR-December 2011--DD's 10th birthday trip!*POP-June 2010*Ft. Wilderness Cabin-September 2009*CSR/GF-Thanksgiving 2008*Caribbean Beach-August 2007: 10th Anniversary Trip*Shades of Green-November 2006*Port Orleans/All Star Movies-February 2005*yearly growing up, but never on site (generally the Knights Inn)
Old 01-21-2012, 07:07 AM   #44
Maddykins06
Mouseketeer

Liz & Vic: Hope you both are healing quickly!

Carissa: GOOD LUCK on your & your family's new plan! I've had a lot of clients succeed with the DASH diet & exercise.

Robyn: I love Disney songs! Hercules' Go the Distance is my favorite motivational one:
I will find my way
I can go the distance
I'll be there someday
If I can be strong
I know ev'ry mile
Will be worth my while
I would go most anywhere
to feel like I belong.

Last edited by Maddykins06; 01-21-2012 at 07:12 AM.
Old 01-21-2012, 07:08 AM   #45
Maddykins06
Mouseketeer

So sorry for the double post!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: