Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 01:10 PM   #16
disney_runner
Mouseketeer

We have an elliptical in our basement so thats my normal x-training. But sometimes I bike too!

Medals received: 2008 WDW Half ~ 2010 Princess Half + 2010 Disneyland Half = Coast to Coast ~ 2011 WDW Full ~ 2011 Wine & Dine Half ~ 2012 WDW Marathon Relay ~ 2012 Expedition Everest Challenge ~ 2013 Goofy Challenge ~ 2013 Dumbo Double Dare + C2C

Medals pending: 2014 ToT 10 miler, 2015 Dopey Challenge, 2017 January Half w/daughter, 2018 Glass Slipper Challenge, 2018 Tinkerbell Half, Avengers Half??
Old 01-16-2012, 03:07 PM   #17
Maddykins06
Mouseketeer

Thanks Liz.
Crystal, I stuff mine with newspaper & turn them upside down to dry out.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-16-2012, 03:58 PM   #18
Big Vic
DIS Veteran

Afternoon Ducks!

It looks as though most everyone is getting back to running/walking. Hopefully by Wednesday I will be able to get back to it. Ended up with a knee issue after the half which required me to walk the relay, which resulted in blisters on the bottoms of my feet. Strange isn't the word for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by liznboys
What did you think of the relay Vic? Which leg did you do?
I've never participated in a relay like that so, I didn't really know what to expect. I did the second leg and had a lot of standing around time in the MK parking lot. I sent RunDisney my observations of the weekend and asked if maybe they could put a Runner's Retreat there as I would have spent the money for a place to hang out while waiting for my teammate. Other than that, I thought it was pretty well organized, and the medal is cool! However, I wasn't quite sure what I was supposed to do with the butt pad they issued us. Either throw it away before hitting the course or take it with me. It may have been one of the "It looked good on paper" deals.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:15 PM   #19
CALIFLADY
The Tag Fairy is jealous of you...Japan gets all the good electronics and video games first. Plus, DisneySea is so much cooler than any other Disney park. Can you be my tour guide when I visit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenifred View Post
I've been looking at compression socks. Does anyone have any experience with them? Do they really work?
I bought some this fall when I was having serious problems with my calves seizing up on me. I bought the Zensah brand from my local running shoe store. Unlike Liz's experience, mine don't rub or get itchy. I forget I have them on because they're so comfortable. And yes, I think they do help me. I wore mine on all my long runs and during the WDW Half.

A side story: They told me to wear the seam down the back of my calf. I thought it was funny when I got on the monorail after the half marathon and saw a girl with the same brand on, only she was wearing them backwards. You can see by their construction how they should be worn. Not sure what effect she was trying to acheive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by liznboys View Post
Do you mean Flora, Fauna and Meriweather?? That would be so fun!
Yep! I'm the "blue" one. We'll be wearing wings and hats. Sounds like she also got us some wands, too! My sister is the creative one. I'm the enginerd.

Liz - Put me down for the DL Half in September and the W&D Half in November on Page One. That way, I'll be committed. In more ways than one. Thanks!

I lifted weights today at the gym. Will go for my first run since the half tomorrow morning.

Old 01-16-2012, 09:16 PM   #20
airman
DisneyNerd

Hi everyone, I'm in!
I haven't been very active since the WDW half. Tonight was my first night working out, I did a 30 minute Bob Harper DVD with a kettle bell. It was a leg killer. I will be doing other workout dvd's for cross training and doing just 1 run during the weekend until the spring.
Last year I posted my race wish list and was able to do everyone except I changed the Dexter/Ann Arbor half to a 10K. So here is my wish list for this year.

Flying Pig half marathon in Cincinnati on May 6th
Dexter/Ann Arbor half June 3
ToT 10 miler in September
Detroit half marathon October 21
and the WDW full in January
and for the heck of it, the Wine n Dine relay with Debbie.

OK I wrote it down now to make it happen.
I will let you know once I actually sign up for each event.

Have a good week everyone.

Joe
Old 01-17-2012, 10:04 AM   #21
LadyDooley
Nothing is better than the Main Street Electrical Parade!!

I have had a little set back...

I am running the Princess this year as well as the ToT 10 miler...

About a week ago I started having hip pain, bad.. it gets worse and better but it hurts enough to make me limp.

My husband doesn't want me running for a few days to see how it gets.. I get worried either way.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:47 AM   #22
Maddykins06
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyDooley View Post

About a week ago I started having hip pain, bad.. it gets worse and better but it hurts enough to make me limp.

My husband doesn't want me running for a few days to see how it gets.. I get worried either way.
Renee, do you think it could be ITB related?
That is how mine starts.
Have you tried foam rolling or other stretches?
Sending positive healing thoughts!
Old 01-17-2012, 12:17 PM   #23
luvpoohandcompany
DIS Veteran

Hi I've finally completed wk 1 of c25k but think I'll repeat it before advancing to wk 2 as life is crazy at the minute-figure if I can do that for a second week I'll be better able to handle wk 2! I hope so anyway

Last edited by luvpoohandcompany; 01-17-2012 at 12:18 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-17-2012, 12:25 PM   #24
Mickeyfan74
Mouseketeer

Half 2013!!

Hello

Is the Marathon wknd for 2013 really on Jan 11 - 13th, 2013?

I just booked a room at the military hotel Shades of Green for 3 nights in 2013!!! Yaaaaay. Good spot for families to CHEAR also

I've got two possible recruits on board, a co-worker and my younger sister. Getting them on board to start their walking on the treadmills. We'll see.
For sure I aim to beat my previous time for the Half.

Later Ducks
Old 01-17-2012, 09:49 PM   #25
fairestoneofall
DIS Veteran

can i rejoin you all?

2011 was an interesting year. i was planning to run the half marathon in January, but ended up pregnant two weeks into my training. so...

but now, it is time to get back into the swing of things. i actually was back to running this summer. but i'm a photographer and the fall was crazy busy. with that and a newborn, it was hard for me to put my running first. but now, it is time to really buckle down and do it!

my goal is to run the Donald half marathon in 2013.

*DL Dumbo Double Dare-August 2014*POR January 2014*POP-October 2013*CR-December 2011--DD's 10th birthday trip!*POP-June 2010*Ft. Wilderness Cabin-September 2009*CSR/GF-Thanksgiving 2008*Caribbean Beach-August 2007: 10th Anniversary Trip*Shades of Green-November 2006*Port Orleans/All Star Movies-February 2005*yearly growing up, but never on site (generally the Knights Inn)
Old 01-17-2012, 09:52 PM   #26
firecracker725
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairestoneofall View Post
can i rejoin you all?

2011 was an interesting year. i was planning to run the half marathon in January, but ended up pregnant two weeks into my training. so...

but now, it is time to get back into the swing of things. i actually was back to running this summer. but i'm a photographer and the fall was crazy busy. with that and a newborn, it was hard for me to put my running first. but now, it is time to really buckle down and do it!

How old is your little one? I have a 6 month old, so I know how hard it is to get anything done for yourself with a baby in the house!

-------------
Old 01-17-2012, 09:55 PM   #27
fairestoneofall
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by firecracker725 View Post
How old is your little one? I have a 6 month old, so I know how hard it is to get anything done for yourself with a baby in the house!
he is almost seven months old. so, they are close in age! yes, it is hard! i also homeschool my DD, so she's at home too.

*DL Dumbo Double Dare-August 2014*POR January 2014*POP-October 2013*CR-December 2011--DD's 10th birthday trip!*POP-June 2010*Ft. Wilderness Cabin-September 2009*CSR/GF-Thanksgiving 2008*Caribbean Beach-August 2007: 10th Anniversary Trip*Shades of Green-November 2006*Port Orleans/All Star Movies-February 2005*yearly growing up, but never on site (generally the Knights Inn)
Old 01-17-2012, 10:01 PM   #28
firecracker725
DIS Veteran

Quote:
he is almost seven months old. so, they are close in age! yes, it is hard! i also homeschool my DD, so she's at home too.
Actually, now that I think about it, she will be 7 months on the 30th, which isn't that far away . Time flies when they're little.

I have a 4 year old that goes to preschool half days, so I have her in the afternoons. Right now DH's schedule is flexible enough to allow me to get my runs in before he leaves, but when it warms up I hope to make use of my jogging stroller while my oldest is at school.

-------------
Old 01-18-2012, 12:39 PM   #29
liznboys
I wish upon stars!
I met the Tag Fairy in VMK!

Happy Wednesday Ducks! I got in a good bike workout today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by firecracker725 View Post
Thanks for the warm welcome Ducks!

I'm scheduled to run again in the morning, but there's a 30% chance of rain. So, I think I might just go ahead and knock it out this afternoon.

However, I know I won't be able to avoid running in the rain indefinitely. Like any good duck, I'm not afraid of a little moisture, but what do I do about my shoes? What's the best way to dry them out when I'm done?
I've always just let mine air dry. I've heard the newspaper method that Karin mentioned works well! Were you able to get your run in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney_runner View Post
We have an elliptical in our basement so thats my normal x-training. But sometimes I bike too!
Gotcha. I've used an elliptical once, it was a great workout!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Vic View Post
Afternoon Ducks!

It looks as though most everyone is getting back to running/walking. Hopefully by Wednesday I will be able to get back to it. Ended up with a knee issue after the half which required me to walk the relay, which resulted in blisters on the bottoms of my feet. Strange isn't the word for it.

I've never participated in a relay like that so, I didn't really know what to expect. I did the second leg and had a lot of standing around time in the MK parking lot. I sent RunDisney my observations of the weekend and asked if maybe they could put a Runner's Retreat there as I would have spent the money for a place to hang out while waiting for my teammate. Other than that, I thought it was pretty well organized, and the medal is cool! However, I wasn't quite sure what I was supposed to do with the butt pad they issued us. Either throw it away before hitting the course or take it with me. It may have been one of the "It looked good on paper" deals.
Hope your knee and feet are feeling better!

Ha, yeah if you didn't have a partner who could take your butt pad then it was kinda a waste.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALIFLADY View Post
... Yep! I'm the "blue" one. We'll be wearing wings and hats. Sounds like she also got us some wands, too! My sister is the creative one. I'm the enginerd. ...
I can't wait to see pics of you three!! heehee!

Quote:
Originally Posted by airman View Post
Hi everyone, I'm in!
I haven't been very active since the WDW half. Tonight was my first night working out, I did a 30 minute Bob Harper DVD with a kettle bell. It was a leg killer. I will be doing other workout dvd's for cross training and doing just 1 run during the weekend until the spring.
Last year I posted my race wish list and was able to do everyone except I changed the Dexter/Ann Arbor half to a 10K. So here is my wish list for this year.

Flying Pig half marathon in Cincinnati on May 6th
Dexter/Ann Arbor half June 3
ToT 10 miler in September
Detroit half marathon October 21
and the WDW full in January
and for the heck of it, the Wine n Dine relay with Debbie.

OK I wrote it down now to make it happen.
I will let you know once I actually sign up for each event.

Have a good week everyone.

Joe
Hope you can complete your 2012 wish list!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyDooley View Post

Hang in there...go to the doc if it doesn't improve!

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvpoohandcompany View Post
Hi I've finally completed wk 1 of c25k but think I'll repeat it before advancing to wk 2 as life is crazy at the minute-figure if I can do that for a second week I'll be better able to handle wk 2! I hope so anyway
There's nothing wrong with repeating weeks, way to go for being smart about it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickeyfan74 View Post
Hello

Is the Marathon wknd for 2013 really on Jan 11 - 13th, 2013?

I just booked a room at the military hotel Shades of Green for 3 nights in 2013!!! Yaaaaay. Good spot for families to CHEAR also

I've got two possible recruits on board, a co-worker and my younger sister. Getting them on board to start their walking on the treadmills. We'll see.
For sure I aim to beat my previous time for the Half.

Later Ducks
I really don't know when marathon weekend is...but the 10-13th is what "people" keep saying..

Quote:
can i rejoin you all?

Great to see you here Emily, I was hoping you'd join in again this year! Time to get back to it, you can do it!!

Last edited by liznboys; 01-18-2012 at 12:45 PM.
Old 01-18-2012, 04:41 PM   #30
liznboys
I wish upon stars!
I met the Tag Fairy in VMK!

Just got the email telling about the Disneyland Half registration being open now. And anyway they listed the future races in the side with Marathon weekend as Jan 10-13. So I guess it's official. I can't wait for that registration to open. I need to sign up for Goofy before I chicken out!
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: