Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2012, 07:23 AM   #46
cj9200
DIS Dad #412
Double Dog Dare You to post a screaming like a little girl video

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzzelady View Post
You are correct...it is time consuming but so rewarding when they are completed. We have spent the last week going through pictures of my dad in preparation for his memorial service and the travel through time is a great remembrance. All of us grow up too quickly
Sorry to hear about your dad. Thoughts to you and your family. We have been dealing with too many losses lately in our family. DD's mom passed away in 2010, I lost my brother a couple of months ago and her grandmother just passed. Decided I am going to use the rest of my time here to grab that brass ring every chance I can. One of the reasons for this trip. Hugs to you and yours.
cj9200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 08:02 AM   #47
bzzelady
DIS Veteran

Thanks CJ...it's been a tough week. You are correct in that every day should be lived to the fullest and not to put off things "until later." In my line of work as a critical care nurse, I see so many folks laying in beds whose biggest regret is the fact they have put things off-some of them are able to leave me and go do those things, and some of them never get to realize those dreams.

Thankfully, my father was able to retire when he was 52 so he had 12 years to enjoy before becoming ill. Even after he was diagnosed, he found time and energy to reroof the house, build my mother a sunroom, and cedar shake the entire exterior. He also traveled to Alaska twice for last hunting/fishing trips, did a cross country road trip to the Grand Canyon and Hoover Dam right before Thanksgiving with one of his best friends, and went to northern Ontario to spend time with extended family there as well. He left here without regrets...and that is a huge lesson to all of us.

Have a great time on the graduation celebration trip...we will all be sitting here on the sidelines waiting for reports

Me DH DD14 DM
bzzelady is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-13-2012, 02:49 PM   #48
cj9200
DIS Dad #412

Quote:
Thanks CJ...it's been a tough week. You are correct in that every day should be lived to the fullest and not to put off things "until later." In my line of work as a critical care nurse, I see so many folks laying in beds whose biggest regret is the fact they have put things off-some of them are able to leave me and go do those things, and some of them never get to realize those dreams.

Thankfully, my father was able to retire when he was 52 so he had 12 years to enjoy before becoming ill. Even after he was diagnosed, he found time and energy to reroof the house, build my mother a sunroom, and cedar shake the entire exterior. He also traveled to Alaska twice for last hunting/fishing trips, did a cross country road trip to the Grand Canyon and Hoover Dam right before Thanksgiving with one of his best friends, and went to northern Ontario to spend time with extended family there as well. He left here without regrets...and that is a huge lesson to all of us.

Have a great time on the graduation celebration trip...we will all be sitting here on the sidelines waiting for reports
I hope to do the same as your dad. Time will heal the hurt and the fun memories will be the ones that you recall. DD's mom was the Associate Head Nurse at the Trauma Facility down here. Taking SIL to the airport, we stopped there to see a plaque they put up in her honor. I know from personal experience, you guys do great work.
Old 06-13-2012, 02:58 PM   #49
cj9200
DIS Dad #412

UPS was good to me yesterday. The replacement camera (for the one DD lost) and underwater housing was delivered. Played with it last night and even got the external flash to work. Have to go to the Keys to give it a test run. Hopefully it will produce some good pictures while diving in Hawaii.

Update: 11 days until we board the plane.
Old 06-13-2012, 04:45 PM   #50
bzzelady
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj9200 View Post
DD's mom was the Associate Head Nurse at the Trauma Facility down here. Taking SIL to the airport, we stopped there to see a plaque they put up in her honor. I know from personal experience, you guys do great work.

Yeah...just because you had personal experience once as a patient doesn't mean you need to try it out again. We actually prefer when patients come back to visit in street clothes instead of those gray/blue smocks

I commend DD's mom-trauma nursing is a real calling-you see so many young people wrecked at the prime of their lives. Of course, in cardiac critical care and cardiac surgery, we are seeing them much younger than even ten years ago.

Me DH DD14 DM
Old 06-16-2012, 04:16 PM   #51
Pinkocto
In love with all things Disney. Happily joined DVC 01/11.

Congratulations to your DD and what a wonderful trip you have planned! Alison suggested I come check out your adventure in the making, can't wait to hear about it I just bought some Aulani points a few months ago, but won't be able to go until at least September 2013. I also dive so will really enjoy hearing about that part too

First Trip - YC '89, CSR '98, Pop '07, Music '08, AKL CL 1/11, SSR 12/11, 5N Dream Cruise & AKV 3/12, AKV CL 9/12 , OKW 12/12, 4N Wonder Cruise 1/13, 7N Fantasy Cruise & AKV CL 3/13, AKV 6/13, DL 9/13, VGF 12/13, OKW/AKV 1/14, 5N Wonder Cruise/VBR 3/14, Western Fantasy/BCV 5/14, AKV/BCV 10/14
Pinkocto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 02:09 PM   #52
cj9200
DIS Dad #412

Quote:
Yeah...just because you had personal experience once as a patient doesn't mean you need to try it out again. We actually prefer when patients come back to visit in street clothes instead of those gray/blue smocks

I commend DD's mom-trauma nursing is a real calling-you see so many young people wrecked at the prime of their lives. Of course, in cardiac critical care and cardiac surgery, we are seeing them much younger than even ten years ago.
When I went to her unit, the staff would place bets if I'd pass out/throw up or not. Couldn't do what you guys do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkocto View Post
Congratulations to your DD and what a wonderful trip you have planned! Alison suggested I come check out your adventure in the making, can't wait to hear about it I just bought some Aulani points a few months ago, but won't be able to go until at least September 2013. I also dive so will really enjoy hearing about that part too
Thank you Pam. Listen to what Alison says, she is a smart lady. Went diving Saturday but the external flash (that I just bought) started to leak when I put it in the dunk tank. Pulled it out right away and had the place check it and it was a bad gasket. Replaced it and tested out OK. So unfortunately, no pictures and no test dive with the new camera.

Don't know proper protocol on where to post the non DVC part but will let everyone know where it is.

TO (Take off) Day is rapidly approaching. Tons of stuff to do and today is busy. Lets see: New glasses ordered, prescriptions picked up, laundry is starting, dive gear is rinsed and drying, rental car for the Hawaii legs reserved. Still have tons to do.

May have to break my unwritten rule of finishing a TR before another trip.

Last edited by cj9200; 06-18-2012 at 02:28 PM.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:21 PM   #53
Pinkocto

I'm glad it was a quick fix but sorry you weren't able to test it out.

First Trip - YC '89, CSR '98, Pop '07, Music '08, AKL CL 1/11, SSR 12/11, 5N Dream Cruise & AKV 3/12, AKV CL 9/12 , OKW 12/12, 4N Wonder Cruise 1/13, 7N Fantasy Cruise & AKV CL 3/13, AKV 6/13, DL 9/13, VGF 12/13, OKW/AKV 1/14, 5N Wonder Cruise/VBR 3/14, Western Fantasy/BCV 5/14, AKV/BCV 10/14
Old 06-20-2012, 05:06 PM   #54
cj9200
DIS Dad #412

Take off day is rapidly approaching. Too much stuff to do before we leave. Last loads of laundry will soon be done. Dragged out my dive gear and camera stuff and hope to have them packed tonight. An unusual step for me, I am actually thinking about what clothes I am taking. Most of the time I just throw some stuff in a bag.

Final arrangements are just about done. Cars rented for Kona and Oahu. Rates were pretty good. Have a kid watching the house and taking care of the dogs. Paying her but a lot cheaper than if they were at the vet. Only things left to do is get a room near the Honolulu airport before we fly to LA and figure out how I am getting to Disney from the Airport.

Getting excited about this.
Old 06-20-2012, 05:57 PM   #55
kid-at-heart
DIS Veteran

Dogs? Did you add to your family?

Have mega fun on your trip. I am looking forward to hearing about your adventures.

kate

kid-at-heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:14 PM   #56
bzzelady
DIS Veteran

We are all very excited for you...and cannot wait to live vicariously through your trip report!

Me DH DD14 DM
Old 06-20-2012, 09:32 PM   #57
Pinkocto

I know they have shuttles from the airport to Disney but not sure if they cost anything. I can't quite remember since it was only cursory investigating for a possible trip.

Old 06-21-2012, 12:33 PM   #58
franandaj

Sharing adventures and good times
My heart is forever given to Fran

Can't wait to hear all about this trip! Especially Aulani!

Getting to Anaheim from LAX is always a quandary. There is no DME. There.is a Disneyland bus for a fee, there's always Super Shuttle, Prime Time, or Taxi. I've read numerous pros and cons for each on the DL board and the various GC threads. Either way it will probably cost you $50-100 to get there.

You're coming in on a Sunday so at least that's the one day.that LA traffic isn't as bad as normal so you should be checking in at the hotel within a couple hours of landing. Without traffic LAX us about 45 minutes from DL, on a Sunday you should be able to get there in about an hour.
Alison ~~~~ A Haunting, plundering, and Fiesta Caliente | Our Disney Dream Home|Sleepy and Grumpy Visit Tatooine |Keep Your Eyes on the Road | I do get to go to WDW this year! | Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR | It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2015: VGC, VWL, DCL 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!

franandaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 05:38 PM   #59
cj9200
DIS Dad #412

Bags are by the door and we are ready to go. Shuttle is picking us up at 4 am for the 13 hour trip to Hawaii. Guess this is really happening.

Next post will be from the Aloha state.
Old 06-23-2012, 08:08 PM   #60
Pinkocto

That's so exciting!!! Safe travels

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: