Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2012, 09:11 PM   #121
WalkingintheFog
DIS Veteran

Location: North America's most easterly city: St.John's Newfoundland and Labrador!

Trippie in process! I'm home again home again on the rock!

Trippie in process of writing up!
Definitely did not have as much computer time as I envisioned during trip, and only arrived home Tues AM, in time to go to work & come down with a cold that knocked me off my feet and into bed for a few days!
Today is Saturday, and I’m pleased to announce I have suitcases unpacked, laundry done. No. Not much is put away. But the Suitcases are down in basement. And Notes are being compiled!

It was a great trip!!!! I love Disney! The parks, the resorts, the atmosphere! The food, oh the Wine and Dine food!
Had 2 great runs (1 brutal 10 miler “Tower of Terror” and 1 could-have-done-better-but-still-a-personal-best Half Marathon in Toronto) & got the bling to show for both!

Hope to finish this, my first Trip Report, before I get too immersed in planning the next trip (Nov 2013: Wine & Dine, the Wine & Dine Half, MVMCP, Osborne Family...Lights, Festival of Masters AND! A milestone birthday for someone!)

Here's a picture for comfort! It's breakfast at The Fort! Tea & French Toast w/ syrup & becel (Canadian margarine) :

WalkingintheFog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:33 AM   #122
bama_ed
My old avatar was the blue Muppet named Grover

Waiting patiently

Bama ED
Jan 1988 FW 700 Loop (tent).......Jan 2004 FW 2500 Loop (cabin)....... Apr 2011 FW 2000 Loop (pop-up)
May 1988 FW 1200 Loop (tent).... May 2006 FW 900 Loop (pop-up) .... Mar 2012 FW 1500 Loop (pop-up)
Dec 1995 Contemporary.............. Mar 2007 FW 1000 Loop (pop-up).... Apr 2013 FW 100 Loop (pop-up)

plus countless WDW day trips, DL 3X, DLP 2X - TV: 2005 Chevy Suburban - Camper: 2014 Aliner Expedition - Nights Camped: 182
bama_ed is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-21-2012, 09:31 AM   #123
2goofycampers
Sounds like something a camping trip could cure
Enjoy the beer and wine you will love it

Me too!

2goofycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 09:48 AM   #124
dellasgirl
Mouseketeer

a

Last edited by dellasgirl; 02-16-2013 at 05:39 PM.
dellasgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 10:23 AM   #125
megveg
Drink up me hearties, yo ho!

Im so so so excited to hear more ! Congrats on your finishes! :D

"Some days you eat the bear,
some days the bear eats you,
but always dress for the hunt!"
KUNGALOOSH!

Past Trips: 5/96' Offsite with Family
11/05' With my highschool Choir -ASMu
5/08' Graduation Trip - Shades of Green
5/09' Memorial Week Trip - Poly
Nov 2014: Homestead for NASCAR + a lil Disney/UO
megveg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 04:25 PM   #126
Tented1
Mouseketeer

Congrats on your PB!

Can't wait to read and see more!

Hope you feel better.

WDW 1969 WDL 1985 CBR 2007
Tented1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:58 PM   #127
Disneypeach
Mouseketeer

looking forward to reading more about your trip.
Peach

Disneypeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:55 PM   #128
WalkingintheFog
DIS Veteran

Location: North America's most easterly city: St.John's Newfoundland and Labrador!

The POP CENTURY Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by bama_ed View Post
Waiting patiently

Bama ED
Any moment now!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2goofycampers View Post
Me too!
Just around the corner!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dellasgirl View Post
can't wait to read about it

LOVE the mug you have in the pic

ann and family
It's a HUGE! cup, and currently in use!
Quote:
Originally Posted by megveg View Post
Im so so so excited to hear more ! Congrats on your finishes! :D
Thank you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tented1 View Post
Congrats on your PB!

Can't wait to read and see more!

Hope you feel better.
Thank you! And yes, much better!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneypeach View Post
looking forward to reading more about your trip.
Peach
Here it comes!

Sep 25 Tues- Sep 27 Thurs: The Pop Century experience!

At what point do you feel that your vacation has started?
- When you lock your front door?
- When the plane taxis down to ramp to take off?
- When it lands?
- When you walk out to the Magic Express and you get that first blast of Florida heat in your face?
- Or when you get to your resort room, or when you look out at the view from your room?

My room request was "50's lakeview 4th Floor". I got and was perfectly happy with "50's Jukebox Bldg, 2nd Floor facing pool".

The 1st evening's plan consisted of having a light snack, a dip in the pool, and Disney bus to DTD for supper somewhere.

My first order of business (after the obligatory check for bedbug evidence -- none) was to put on my swimsuit/coverup on & head to the Classic Hall: I also wanted to quickly check out the merchandise offerings (I wanted a Disney Mug, and that needed to be bought in time for tea the next morning.)

I picked up a side order of the thick potato chips & a can of beer.
Gotta love these american tin bottles of beer with their screwtops! I just drank half the bottle & put the other half in room fridge for later (how one can vacation without a room fridge, I do not know!)

Ahhhhh! It's warm, there's sun on my face, a cold beer by my side, an uncrowded pool in front of me, and it's VACATION!!!!

This is the point at which I feel my vacation has finally started!

NEXT UP: Downtown Disney, Supper and Dessert!

Old 10-25-2012, 10:07 PM   #129
WalkingintheFog
DIS Veteran

Sep 25 Tues- Sep 27 Thurs: The Pop Century experience! Continued!

I rarely waited long for buses while at WDW this trip around! The bus to DTD was pulling in as I got to the bus stop (I did actually run for it thinking it might not stop long )

It was dusk as I arrived at DTD, and quickly got dark.

I love strolling DTD in the evening: It’s somewhat magical at times, with minilights twinkling here & there in the trees. And it’s warm! (Such a strange and awesome experience to not need long sleeves at night in late September!!!).
DTD doesn’t really lend itself to commando style touring, so people are generally more relaxed & you see less meltdowns here!

Not much of a shopper, but I do need to check out Mickey’s Pantry and The Christmas Store, as I need to pick up a mug before breakfast time tomorrow! (I’m a true Newfoundlander: I love my tea, it doesn’t matter how hot it is outside, mornings begin with a cup of Tea!

I decide on this one, and know that I can pick it up at the Resort store:

2 other mugs that I see at Mickey’s Pantry and several other places are: (and in hindsight, wish I had chosen one of these instead... I’d have bought 2 matching ones)

and

With that dealt with, time to think about supper!

Earl’s and Wolfgang Puck Express are sooooo tempting! Love them both, but part of the trip plan is to try new things! (I'll visit each of those later in trip!)

Paradiso 37 has my attention, but I don’t really want to sit indoors on my first night (or any night that it’s not raining!). I passed it by, but as I did so, a couple vacates a table on the "upper" outdoor terrace right next to the railing. I went back to the podium to see if they could sit me there. I’m in!
Let’s see what’s here that takes my fancy.... ....
Beer. Of course beer. Icy Cold please. Waiter recommends their house “P37 beer”........I ordered it, but ergh! Not to my taste! Had it replaced with a Bud Light.
Burger.... I never order burgers! But I had the best burger of my life at Le Cellier last year, so I decided to try the “Bacon & Pineapple Burger”
They asked how I wanted it cooked, and did a great job! Rare is the only way to eat beef.
(Sorry! forgot about taking pictures of the food!)
No lineup of people waiting to be seated, so I took my time enjoying the meal, and people watching.
I decide to pass on dessert there & save room for it back at Pop Century.

After strolling for another half, it's the bus back to Pop Century,
and a visit to their store for my mug, then to the food court to get Milk, Bread, Water and Dessert.......

Yep. When in Rome, do as the Romans do: .......order Tie Dye Cheesecake

Back to the room, I put kettle on for a cup of tea.
Funny how I never notice how tired I am til now! But I realize, I hardly slept on the plane & never went to bed the night before!

So, after a cuppa & half the Tie Die cheese cake it's time for shower then bed!!!

Goodnight Dissers!

Old 10-26-2012, 07:24 PM   #130
dellasgirl
Mouseketeer

For us our vacation begins when we pull out of the driveway to start our drive down

that Cheesecake looks GOOD

Ann and family
dellasgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 04:07 PM   #131
Tented1
Mouseketeer

Hmmm . . . That cheesecake looks pretty strange, only at Disney.

I love the way you took the mug pics.

I can't wait to hear more! :-)

WDW 1969 WDL 1985 CBR 2007
Tented1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 12:25 PM   #132
bama_ed
My old avatar was the blue Muppet named Grover

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkingintheFog View Post
At what point do you feel that your vacation has started?
- When you lock your front door?
- When the plane taxis down to ramp to take off?
- When it lands?
- When you walk out to the Magic Express and you get that first blast of Florida heat in your face?
- Or when you get to your resort room, or when you look out at the view from your room?
A clever question.

For me it's when you feel that first blast of warm air.

And the cheese cake looks awesome.

Bama ED
Jan 1988 FW 700 Loop (tent).......Jan 2004 FW 2500 Loop (cabin)....... Apr 2011 FW 2000 Loop (pop-up)
May 1988 FW 1200 Loop (tent).... May 2006 FW 900 Loop (pop-up) .... Mar 2012 FW 1500 Loop (pop-up)
Dec 1995 Contemporary.............. Mar 2007 FW 1000 Loop (pop-up).... Apr 2013 FW 100 Loop (pop-up)

plus countless WDW day trips, DL 3X, DLP 2X - TV: 2005 Chevy Suburban - Camper: 2014 Aliner Expedition - Nights Camped: 182
bama_ed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 09:35 PM   #133
WalkingintheFog
DIS Veteran

Cheesecake: I felt gypped that it did not have a graham cracker crumb crust! lol, the things one expects!

Sep 25 Tues- Sep 27 Thurs: The Pop Century experience! Continued!
Sep 26 Wed
Ahhh! Waking up my first morning at Disney! I don’t even know what time I woke up! The bed was great! kicking me in the night! NOT!

Got my breakfast - I brought my auto-shut-off kettle for tea, and also have cereal w/ milk & a banana.
Lord! That mug is BIG!

Picking up rent-a-car today: Did I mention in the week before trip I decided on a rental?

Basically because of my camping adventure for week 2: I wanted both a place I could lock ‘valuables’ and a place I could retreat to if thunder/lightning became too much for me (or if the rain defeated my tent, lol!).
Got a rate of $100/wk from Dollar, pickup at their location at the Wyndham on Hotel Blvd next to DTD.
At that rate, I booked it for 2 weeks! Called my insurance agent to see what to bring/what my policy covered: her advice was don’t pay for any coverage from the rental place, and don’t let them upgrade you to anything better than what you own! (I drive a Hyundai Elantra Touring Wagon ).

Dollar sent their shuttle van to bring me over to the Wyndham.
-- I wondered how much bigger their rooms would be in comparison to the various Disney resuts, so asked Front Desk for a viewing of a couple rooms (I thought not much diff from Disney Value Resort rooms, maybe a bit smaller? Don't think I'd choose Wyndhamd over Disney Value Resorts...unless they had a $40/ nt rate! I'd think aout it then!).
-- I did an inspection of the car before signing the acceptance form (the Dollar staff were really nice, but seemed surprised that I wasn’t willing to sign for car without an inspection 1st!) Glad I did: Not all the dings on the car appeared to have been reported (they put little numbered stickers on each ding that’s reported (she said not concerned about flaws smaller than a quarter)). I took pictures of all, and then of the odometer, and back in to be sure they noted what I noted!
-- Another lady at a counter tried to convince me to go see a timeshare at Bonnet Creek: “$100 just for going! No strings attached! Why would anyone not do it?”..... I told her no time now, if I was interested I’d give a call.... She gave me a number to call. Later I looked at something about it, and it looks like you’ve got to put a credit card deposit down or something, and the credit comes later.....I’m definitely not interested to spending any of my vacation time in a hard sell! Especially with absolutely no intent to buy.

Deep Breath now! Time for my first experience in a rent-a-car, and my first time driving in Disney/USA/a city wayyyyy bigger than St. Johns!
.......Piece of Cake!
......And I'm Animal Kingdom bound!!

Old 10-29-2012, 08:48 AM   #135
storyteller
Driving not flying, It's hard to read the street signs from that far up!

Following along too
My vacation starts when I start planning it.... drive everyone crazy. love it.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: