Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2012, 05:56 PM   #91
WalkingintheFog
DIS Veteran

Location: North America's most easterly city: St.John's Newfoundland and Labrador!

3wks! 3 wks! 3wks!
There's next weekend which is an 18km hilly run.
Then the next weekend is a 10k "race" in Harbour Grace. (and Fish& Chips after!)
Then it's the Huffin Puffin Half Marathon the next weekend, that's 21.1km
(a medal, and a great reception after!).

THEN It 's 2 more sleeps! Well, really just one, because I'll leave the house & Basilboy to his pals & housesitters & head to the airport for 4am!
Woohoo! The 3 weeks will go so fast.

Despite a near tent disaster (that oddly enough came on the tales of seeing pictures on the Disboards of a screen repair after dog ran thru the screen!), my plans are all coming together, I'll be keeping an eye on the Storms brewing out in the Atlantic, hoping nothing interferes w/ the travel plan!
  • I've decided on taking the normal size Hillary tent (it's been tried & true, fits all, I know it's waterproof. And I think less potential for any trouble with it...there's 4 poles vs 9 poles of the bigger Wenger. (I still plan a having a tarp extending over the tent and covering my "dining area")
  • I've also have semi packed the tent suitcase: room for all tent/fly/pump/ tarp/ropes/airmattress/bedding/doodads. So I know there's no issue there.
  • Time to fine tune the plans for all legs of my adventure!

Lol, my near calamity: tent screen zippered shut, Basil & I on the inside, somebody came to the backgate... Basil didn't notice the screen door: he bounced right off that invisible wall! 2nd time that's happened..
Fortunately no damage done.

I'm wondering if/how many Newfoundlanders I'll run into down at the Fort!

WalkingintheFog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:05 PM   #92
disney212
DIS Veteran

I am caught up and joining. As a former tenter, moved up to an RV, I do love the sound of sleeping in a tent. Maybe I will do it again one day, it would be a great way to supplement my DVC points. Can't wait to hear more!
disney212 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-07-2012, 05:07 AM   #93
WalkingintheFog
DIS Veteran

Location: North America's most easterly city: St.John's Newfoundland and Labrador!

Whoa, what a difference in temps! It was 9degrees when I went out yesterday morning (that's, like, 47 or so in Fahrenheit!)
I was going to sleep out in the big tent on last Friday, but after wrapping a scarf around my head, and pulling the dog, cushion and all, on the airmattress just to generate some heat, I decided, "ain't no way Florida is going to be like this in October"!
Back in the house we went!

I'm on the home stretch now! Time to officially put the suitcases on a spare bed and print off the list!
This is when the list gets pruned down! The plan is to take 1 camping suitcase & 1 suitcase with everything else (I plan on doing laundry for my 3wk adventure). The Carryon is for pillow, change of clothes, footwear, & swimsuit. Let's see how I manage to stick to the plan!

I'm not even gone yet and I'm already thinking ahead to the next one!
--Maybe early-mid Nov 2013, Get a few days in BLT w/ a magic view, and then a week or more at THE FORT, bringing the big Tent. That one will be for the WIne & Dine Half, a milestone birthday, and to see the Christmas decor.!

Old 09-07-2012, 05:45 AM   #94
kcp1377
Mouseketeer

Wow - I missed the fact that you are flying with all your camping gear!! That's awesome! I'm already thinking about our next Disney trip too. I'd love to go late nov 2013 but it will probably be more like late nov 2014 due to other trips we have scheduled.

kcp1377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 02:04 PM   #95
dellasgirl
Mouseketeer

a

Last edited by dellasgirl; 02-16-2013 at 05:37 PM.
dellasgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 09:24 PM   #96
Tented1
Mouseketeer

Are you mailing anything down ahead?

WDW 1969 WDL 1985 CBR 2007
Tented1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 01:45 PM   #97
WalkingintheFog
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcp1377 View Post
Wow - I missed the fact that you are flying with all your camping gear!! That's awesome! I'm already thinking about our next Disney trip too. I'd love to go late nov 2013 but it will probably be more like late nov 2014 due to other trips we have scheduled.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dellasgirl View Post
YEAH!!! for home stretch
You will be fine temp wise in sept/oct.

and i know what you mean about the next one--which i am secretly planning
shhhhhh!!!! don't tell hubby just yet let us get back from upcoming trip

Ann and family
I think they must put some addictive substance in the Mickey Ice Cream bars![
Keeps us all coming back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tented1 View Post
Are you mailing anything down ahead?
Tented1, nope, I plan to bring it all with. Now, going home, I might just consider mailing a parcel or 2!

I'm down in the basement now, trying to get things cleared up, so I can bring in whatever I can from the yard!
We've got some weather tracking up the Atlantic, the likes of which we rarely see here on the Avalon!
The Avalon [peninsula] is the south eastern part of NL... yep, looks like a direct hit on Tuesday.. we'll see what happens, I expect I'll be hunkered down in the basement w/ earplugs, doggie, and the battery radio... I DO NOT LIKE WIND!!!!

Old 09-09-2012, 02:11 PM   #98
teekathepony
DIS Veteran

Yikes! Looks like it's going to skip my island, but of course that could change. Hope you don't get hit too hard!

eta: Whoops! I spoke too soon! As soon as I posted I checked the Weather Network and it looks like we do have a rainfall warning for Tuesday morning.
teekathepony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 07:13 PM   #99
WalkingintheFog
DIS Veteran

And the packing has started!!!!!

I have my camp suitcase packed!
And weighed! 52lbs (My checked allowance is 2 free suitcases, 70lbs each):
Tent, tarp, ropes, pegs, bed, sheets, blanket, fan, radio, flashlights, airpump.
I'll throw in my pillow & a few changes of clothing + swimsuit+ footwear later on.

i figure there's a few things I may as well just get down there, because I won't save any money by buying them up here!
So, whether it's a Dollarama-type store, a Department store, or a Thrift shop, I'll pick up:
- Mini-exterior lights (Christmas section), inside lamp
- Mini broom/dustpan. Tablecloth/clips.
- Sm. Electric Frypan
- Cooler (or mini fridge?)
- Camp chair

And if I can find for dirt cheap:
Bike +lock +basket . Even a Screen house (because camping is just nicer with a room to call your kitchen! or your rainy day room!)

Suitcase is packed now, just because I was securing/consolidating that part of the basement (and yes, it's up on a shelf off the basement floor....can't see my basement flooding, but it's 4' up just in case! Leslie better not mess w/ my WDW trip!

@ teekathepony: I'll keep my fingers crossed for all of us! Not much chance this will blow out to sea tho'!

Old 09-09-2012, 07:34 PM   #100
chartle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkingintheFog View Post
- Mini-exterior lights (Christmas section), inside lamp
- Cooler (or mini fridge?)
- Camp chair

And if I can find for dirt cheap:
Bike +lock +basket . Even a Screen house (because camping is just nicer with a room to call your kitchen! or your rainy day room!)
Are you just going to leave this stuff at the site when you leave?
Old 09-09-2012, 08:02 PM   #101
kcp1377
Mouseketeer

kcp1377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 09:33 PM   #102
WalkingintheFog
DIS Veteran

Chartle:

Dirt Cheap Bike?
It would be cheaper to get one at a thrift shop to have the entire time at the Fort than it would be to pay The Fort's rates (it was $18/day a few years ago...)

I'd not just leave it on the site, but I would find someone to pass it on to, whether a Disser or a fellow camper!
Same thing with whatever type of cooler & camp chair I end up with!

hey! Are there bike rental companies in the area? Ones that might even deliver to the campsite?

Screen House?
Depends on what I pick up , if at all! I could probably fit that in the suitcase to bring home.

But, I am a believer in passing on what you don't/no longer need!
lol, the neighbourhood where I've bought my house 10yrs ago practises that as well!
There's constantly furniture, tools, plants, etc being passed over the fences and/or across the street!

Old 09-10-2012, 06:33 AM   #103
2goofycampers
Sounds like something a camping trip could cure
Enjoy the beer and wine you will love it

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkingintheFog View Post
hey! Are there bike rental companies in the area? Ones that might even deliver to the campsite?
I do remember that there is a bike rental. I hope someone remembers their name.

2goofycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 05:16 PM   #104
bama_ed
My old avatar was the blue Muppet named Grover

Foggy,

I found one thread from last year with a contact for a bike rental. You might want to give them a call and see if they still do this and their rates. See post #4.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2671236

Bama ED
Jan 1988 FW 700 Loop (tent).......Jan 2004 FW 2500 Loop (cabin)....... Apr 2011 FW 2000 Loop (pop-up)
May 1988 FW 1200 Loop (tent).... May 2006 FW 900 Loop (pop-up) .... Mar 2012 FW 1500 Loop (pop-up)
Dec 1995 Contemporary.............. Mar 2007 FW 1000 Loop (pop-up).... Apr 2013 FW 100 Loop (pop-up)

plus countless WDW day trips, DL 3X, DLP 2X - TV: 2005 Chevy Suburban - Camper: 2014 Aliner Expedition - Nights Camped: 182
bama_ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:15 PM   #105
englishteacha
I've just gotten crazier over the years I've taught!

You could purchase a cheap bike online and have it shipped to the Fort, but you'd then have to assemble it. If you're handy and can bring the right tools, might be worth it if renting is expensive. What about a folding bike? If you plan on doing a trip like this annually, then it might be worth finding one. I've seen 2 on Craigslist here in Maine recently. You could then bring it with you or mail it down.

Have you considered Owner's Locker? I don't know what they charge, but I know a lot of people who rent homes near WDW use them to store stuff between trips. Again, if you're going to do this type of thing annually, maybe it's worth looking into.

Wonderful trip to Universal, SeaWorld, Busch Gardens, and to see the shuttle launch: February 2011
Walt Disney World: June 2010, August 2007 (1 commando day), June 2006, June 2002
Chasing Roller Coasters: August 2007, 2005, 2004, 2002
englishteacha is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: