Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2012, 04:45 PM   #76
kcp1377
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkingintheFog View Post
Glad to have you along kcp1377!
I'm the youngest of 5 girls, and my parents tented with 5 of us, including 1 set of twins! And 3 of us in cloth diapers!
They gradually moved up to a popup tent camper, then a sm trailer, then a sm trailer w/ a toilet, and then built a cabin instead (by then we were 15-20yrs).
But every one of us girls owns at least 1 tent!
How fun! We cloth diaper too, but for trips we usually just use sposies. I keep telling the kids that I hope they bring their kids camping when they get older - it's so good for them! I'm the oldest of 4 girls - I'm sure your parents got the same comments that mine did. :lol: It was so much fun growing up with sisters though!

We were hoping to bring our kayaks with us, but it looks like the Fort doesn't allow that. I'm hoping we can rent some when we're there! Your schedule looks great! A nice long trip!

kcp1377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 07:05 PM   #77
dellasgirl
Mouseketeer

a

Last edited by dellasgirl; 02-16-2013 at 05:35 PM.
dellasgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-27-2012, 09:16 PM   #78
WalkingintheFog
DIS Veteran

Location: North America's most easterly city: St.John's Newfoundland and Labrador!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeoretoo View Post
Hi there fellow Canadian. I have been following your pre-trip report. We will be there Sept 24th to the 5th - Hope we run into each other.

I can answer some of your questions

Le Cellier you will need a reservation for, especially during F&W.
Breakfast ADR for Trails End. You won't need a ADR walk up space always available.
Evening: Movie at the Fort - schedule is out usually the first couple of days of the month
Boo to You! Fireworks on the beach (?Poly, The Fort, or where?????? I’d like it to be a picnic supper, with beer... Do they allow that? Where would be the better view? - both locations are great. Picnic is no problem. Beer is actually sold at the pool bar right at the beach at the Poly, or you can bring it yourself to the Forts's beach

Thanks, eyeoretoo!

Funny enough, last year during F&W, we ended up cancelling several of our ADRS because we managed walk ups here & there.... we waited about the same lenght of time for each ADR as we did for the Walkups!
AND! Walkups included: Le Cellier at Lunch time. Boma @ Suppertime, Nine Dragons @ Supper Time, Wolfgang Puck Restaurant at SupperTime, and Tusker House Character Breakfast (1 hr after the full finish of the Hallowe'en 5 k (I needed a cup of Tea in not-a-disposable cup).... All were amazing! I had THE BEST BURGER OF MY LIFE (excuse me while I drool) .

Can you tell I like my food? Oh, I like my food! I like to take pictures of my food!
Here's breakfast on a Dis-indulging morning:

That's Mickey pancakes made using the Cookie cutter (poured the batter in, and once partially cooked, lifted the cutter and poured another one (pancake that is...), a raisin/banana/ maple syrup I made.... And the placemat, made locally, is the white Newfoundland Tartan (green is traditional , not white)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dellasgirl View Post
Hi
I want to say you are a very BRAVE woman to do this, and you have my whole hearted admiration, wish i was that brave.

I also have not seen the whole of Illuminations either-shoot we /i have never even watched it just never wanted to.

your plan looks great

We will be there 9/22-9/29 in the cabins so we will miss you at the fort

oh forgot to add they still rent canoes

Ann and John
DD-26
DGD-11
DGD-2
Lol, dellasgirl: Thank you! But Brave? Or just determined?! I decided long ago that I would never be one of those silly girls who couldn't to the bathroom alone in highschool! And I've carried that thought for more than 30 years (yes, I'm shy sometimes, but generally hold my head high and bluff my way thru!)

WalkingintheFog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:24 PM   #79
WalkingintheFog
DIS Veteran

Location: North America's most easterly city: St.John's Newfoundland and Labrador!

Waterproofing the tent....

Talk to me about waterproofing the tent......
I see there's spray on, and then there's a can of paint version.
They're both available in for-Canvas or for-synthetics (the latter is "silicone").

I know it's the Silicone one I want.
THe tent's instruction confirms that, it also says apply to the underside of the tent fly, and to the inside of the tent along the seams.

Various threads mention seam sealer that's like a bingo dabber..... I haven't noticed that around....

Am I bettter off getting the sprayon or the can of paint style one?

How long might it take to dry?
How far does a tin of spray go?
If the can of paint style is what I buy, how do I cleam my brush after?

The Darn instructions on the tin are so small, I need to remember to bring reading glasses to the store with me! (oops, showing my age there!)

Old 08-29-2012, 10:18 AM   #80
Sally
Mouseketeer

I haven't seen the paint bucket type of sealer, so no help on how to use that kind. The seam sealer that I usually use is the Coleman version in the bingo daubber. The waterproofer is usually in the same section of the store in a spray can.
This is my method, others may have a different way to do it, so use what method works for you.
We generally put the tent up and use the seam sealer on ALL the seams, it can take a bit to cover all the seams depending on how big the tent is, this includes how much sealer to buy. We go through 2 of the Coleman version seamsealer for our tent. You can seal the inside and outside of the seams, but inside is all I do.
After we seam seal I go inside the tent with the waterproofer and start spraying the top and sides, I do the rainfly as well since it is already attached to the top of the tent.
Generally leave the tent up overnight to get the seam sealer and waterproofer completely dry. If you take the tent down too soon it will stick together.
We have an older tent and this is how I start our camping season.

'04 PO Riverside, '05 ASMu, '06 AKL, '08 Poly, '14 PoP
/MNWDWmaniac/icon_mickey_halloween.gif[/IMG] I was BOOed by I Believe
Sally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 12:03 PM   #81
eyeoretoo
Mouseketeer

Funny enough, last year during F&W, we ended up cancelling several of our ADRS because we managed walk ups here & there.... we waited about the same lenght of time for each ADR as we did for the Walkups!
AND! Walkups included: Le Cellier at Lunch time. Boma @ Suppertime, Nine Dragons @ Supper Time, Wolfgang Puck Restaurant at SupperTime, and Tusker House Character Breakfast (1 hr after the full finish of the Hallowe'en 5 k (I needed a cup of Tea in not-a-disposable cup).... All were amazing! I had THE BEST BURGER OF MY LIFE (excuse me while I drool) .

Then I guess you are very lucky. Everytime we have gone, the walkups have been turned away even if the place was only half full. Maybe it is just the time of day. We are always trying for a place around 2pm
eyeoretoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 05:01 PM   #82
blu
Mouseketeer

I havent read most of this thread but small directions on a tin caught my attention. I too have reached that conclusion that the manufacturers are trying to save on paint by decreasing print. One trick I have learned is to take pictures with my smartphone and enlarge the picture.
blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:59 PM   #83
WalkingintheFog
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally View Post
I haven't seen the paint bucket type of sealer, so no help on how to use that kind. The seam sealer that I usually use is the Coleman version in the bingo daubber. The waterproofer is usually in the same section of the store in a spray can.
This is my method, others may have a different way to do it, so use what method works for you.
We generally put the tent up and use the seam sealer on ALL the seams, it can take a bit to cover all the seams depending on how big the tent is, this includes how much sealer to buy. We go through 2 of the Coleman version seamsealer for our tent. You can seal the inside and outside of the seams, but inside is all I do.
After we seam seal I go inside the tent with the waterproofer and start spraying the top and sides, I do the rainfly as well since it is already attached to the top of the tent.
Generally leave the tent up overnight to get the seam sealer and waterproofer completely dry. If you take the tent down too soon it will stick together.
Good advice! I m not too sure how to get at the underside of the fly while the tent is set up... the tent is relatively big.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeoretoo View Post
WALKINGINTHEFOG said "Funny enough, last year during F&W, we ended up cancelling several of our ADRS because we managed walk ups here & there.... we waited about the same lenght of time for each ADR as we did for the Walkups!
AND! Walkups included: Le Cellier at Lunch time. Boma @ Suppertime, Nine Dragons @ Supper Time, Wolfgang Puck Restaurant at SupperTime, and Tusker House Character Breakfast (1 hr after the full finish of the Hallowe'en 5 k (I needed a cup of Tea in not-a-disposable cup).... All were amazing! I had THE BEST BURGER OF MY LIFE (excuse me while I drool) .""

Then I guess you are very lucky. Everytime we have gone, the walkups have been turned away even if the place was only half full. Maybe it is just the time of day. We are always trying for a place around 2pm
Time of day surely plays its part! And there were 3 of us, whereas maybe you guys were a larger party?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu View Post
I havent read most of this thread but small directions on a tin caught my attention. I too have reached that conclusion that the manufacturers are trying to save on paint by decreasing print. One trick I have learned is to take pictures with my smartphone and enlarge the picture.
Lol! I've done this while travelling: taken a photo of a street sign down the road and enlarged it to see the street name!

Old 08-29-2012, 09:04 PM   #84
kcp1377
Mouseketeer

The phone trip is great for shopping for real estate too! much easier than writing down phone numbers of realtors and trying to remember which house went with which number!

kcp1377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 05:53 AM   #85
Sally
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Oh duh!! The top of my tent is net for airflow. I put the rainfly on the tent when I put it up for waterproofing, so I spray the top of the tent and thus the rainfly, at least the part that is over the net. It is elevated a bit off the tent, so I spray up and get the rainfly and net. Sorry, for not being more clear on that.

'04 PO Riverside, '05 ASMu, '06 AKL, '08 Poly, '14 PoP
/MNWDWmaniac/icon_mickey_halloween.gif[/IMG] I was BOOed by I Believe
Sally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 06:19 AM   #86
WalkingintheFog
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Oh duh!! The top of my tent is net for airflow. I put the rainfly on the tent when I put it up for waterproofing, so I spray the top of the tent and thus the rainfly, at least the part that is over the net. It is elevated a bit off the tent, so I spray up and get the rainfly and net. Sorry, for not being more clear on that.
lol! Oh Duh me! The top half of my tent is also net for airflow!!!

What you said is perfect now!

We've rain forecast for this weekend, but I'll wait and see Sunday where Isaac is tracking....if it's not rained out, NL will prob get a good soaking midweek.... not the optimal time to set the tent up outsite......

Old 09-01-2012, 08:26 AM   #87
bama_ed
My old avatar was the blue Muppet named Grover

Foggy,

Sally gave you some good advice on the water sealer question. The can-of-paint type of sealer is typically for old fashioned canvas wall tents which you literally apply like you were painting the tent. The aerisol spray cans are what I have used on my backpacking nylon tents. Seam sealer is a good extra step and as Sally said, is best applied from the inside. Sounds like you'll be ready!

Bama ED
Jan 1988 FW 700 Loop (tent).......Jan 2004 FW 2500 Loop (cabin)....... Apr 2011 FW 2000 Loop (pop-up)
May 1988 FW 1200 Loop (tent).... May 2006 FW 900 Loop (pop-up) .... Mar 2012 FW 1500 Loop (pop-up)
Dec 1995 Contemporary.............. Mar 2007 FW 1000 Loop (pop-up).... Apr 2013 FW 100 Loop (pop-up)

plus countless WDW day trips, DL 3X, DLP 2X - TV: 2005 Chevy Suburban - Camper: 2014 Aliner Expedition - Nights Camped: 182
bama_ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 01:15 PM   #88
WalkingintheFog
DIS Veteran

And now the "OMG why do I think I can do this alone" thoughts are creeping in.
(they will disappear. I will make sure of that!)

But.......what if, on arrival day at the fort, it's windy?
Or raining hard?
Or both?

I fully expect to have rain during my adventure, the last 2 times I was at Disney, the only rain fell during this part of October.
I know it's hurricane season, but I feel those 6 days in the middle of Florida are at relatively low risk. And if anything does happen, Brother Disney will help me thru.

But, how do you set up a tent in windy conditions or in a downpour?
Any fort experiences here? Any advice?

(I intend, and fully expect, to pitch camp/strike camp alone, not the issue!)

Old 09-01-2012, 01:59 PM   #89
teekathepony
DIS Veteran

I have no advice to offer, never having set up a tent in my life, let alone in the wind or rain! I will say that I'm very sure it won't be windy or rainy when you arrive, and if so, it probably won't be for long!
teekathepony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 08:23 PM   #90
WalkingintheFog
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by teekathepony View Post
I have no advice to offer, never having set up a tent in my life, let alone in the wind or rain! I will say that I'm very sure it won't be windy or rainy when you arrive, and if so, it probably won't be for long!
From your lips to God's ears!

I'm sure hoping for calm days-- rain is only a nuisance, but wind can be scary!

You get out there and set up a tent! It's satisfying when that jumble of poles and materials all of a suddenly becomes a dwelling!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: