Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2012, 06:07 PM   #31
WalkingintheFog
DIS Veteran

Location: North America's most easterly city: St.John's Newfoundland and Labrador!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudswinger View Post
If you don't mind sharing your campsite, I'd be willing to bring whatever camping stuff you might need. I'm in S. Florida and have never camped at FW either. If those are weekday dates then it'd be myself and my 8 yo daughter in our tent since my husband works generally m-f.

I have an extra tent, air mattress, cooler, stove and most camp gear that you'd need. I can bring our bikes too.

Lovebugs aren't usually around in Oct. Snakes are pretty rare. Spiders are everywhere, but they eat bugs, so that's a good thing. Lightning is rare in dry season, which Oct should be. Weather should be very nice in Oct for camping.
Cloudswinger, thanks for the generous offer, but I think I'd be more comfortable not sharing the campsite! Lol, I wouldn't want to scare your 8 yo with my morning noises!
Will you be camping in early October at the Fort anyway? My dates include that long holiday weekend. I'm expecting rain, but hoping for little lightning/thunder!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshel View Post
The way they secure valuables at the outpost is by means of small safety deposit boxes that they give you supposedly the only key to. You have to sign an agreement that you will be responsible for the fee to drill out and replace the lock if you should happen to lose the key. It was a while back when I used one, they were something like 8x10x2or3 inches, not big enough for a laptop. That was 6,7 years ago, they might have changed since.
Thanks Marshel! I've got just over 5 months to decide what electronics make it on the travel list-- definitely will be scrapping stuff that I know I won't be able to lock up!

WalkingintheFog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 10:44 AM   #32
cloudswinger
Earning My Ears

Well, we've shared campsites with other people and neither one of us ever hears any noises outside of our tent. But that's fine if you're not comfortable. We probably would not go that early in Oct, Columbus day is not such a big holiday here. Plus we generally have to be in Gainesville or Jax later in the month, so I might combine the trips. It'd be more fun to see the Halloween stuff going on too.
cloudswinger is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-28-2012, 06:47 AM   #33
WalkingintheFog
DIS Veteran

Location: North America's most easterly city: St.John's Newfoundland and Labrador!

The Countdown is on!

A couple more days and my TICKER will show 4 months (and 29 days...) but truly, I'm already in the 4 months range: TICKER is for the 29th Sep runDisney "Tower of Terror 10 Miler" event, but I fly down sometime between the 22 and 27th!

AND! 1 more month and Campgrounds here in NL officially open for the season. Woo hoo!
It's not really going to be nice tent weather til mid June or later, but I have blankets and fleecies! (yeah, I know, it's Santa, but I was going for the hat!)
And I won't be going far from home, as I "run with the pack" on Sunday mornings.

But I'm getting excited! I've not had much time for the Disboards this winter, Had a big exam, that's done. Next major deadline is Monday: Helping many of my extended family members do their taxes, and just have a couple left!
Helped a co-worker with some of their Disney plans for May, what a chore--not! lol!

Can't wait to be reading new pre/in/post trip reports! Come on People! Get camping and get Dis-ing!

editted to add: just heard tomorrow's forecast: Flurries. sigh...

Old 05-20-2012, 01:40 PM   #34
WalkingintheFog
DIS Veteran

One more milestone!

I just paid for my park tickets! Woo hoo!
  • WDW park tickets: thru the runDisney/ESPN site. 7days/park hopper/water park for $282 USD. That's $100 cheaper even than MouseSavers, and Mouse Savers are cheaper than thru Disney!
  • Universal 2day 2 park tickets: 1100 Air Miles a ticket! Not going to use the air miles for flights, so may as well use them for park tickets!
Still have to get MNSSHP tickets, but I'll do that just a day or 2 before which ever date I choose.... sure don't want to pre-pay for tickets and then find out rain storms will define that day!

Old 05-20-2012, 04:39 PM   #35
Sally
Mouseketeer

You are truly a brave soul, I bring most of the house with me when we camp, so flying with camping gear would be scary. Have a great time!!

'04 PO Riverside, '05 ASMu, '06 AKL, '08 Poly, '14 PoP
/MNWDWmaniac/icon_mickey_halloween.gif[/IMG] I was BOOed by I Believe
Sally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 05:10 PM   #36
WalkingintheFog
DIS Veteran

This Pre-Trippie is coming live to you from inside my Tent! (I have a fully serviced lot... my backyard! The neighbours are delightful & the only traffic noise is in the distance!)

This is a great tent.... didn't find the instructions, & there's a few odd shapes of material left over (way too small to be a room divider).
If anyone has this same tent, I sure would like to see the instructions! (I've searched online to no avail)

I bought one of those blue high twin size air mattresses, my plan is to maybe spend all/some of the night out here to see how comfy it is

And here's one of the Mickey mugs I bought last trip! What mugs will I buy this trip? (they have be somewhat ....classy..... if one can consider a mug classy!

Oops... that's my supper salad & my wannabe a beer O'Douls...Here's my Mickey Mug!

(These Special K Fruit Crisps are great! They're like mini mini PopTarts! )

We're finally getting reliably warm weather, we've even seen 80 a couple times (so they tell me!)

I'm taking the evening to Dis-Dream & and catch up on several trip reports, something I just haven't had the time for in quite a while! Time to run an extension cord to the tent to recharge this battery!

Old 07-12-2012, 05:55 PM   #37
bama_ed
My old avatar was the blue Muppet named Grover

Nice setup!

Sometimes tents of that variety have what they call a "gear loft" which is a piece of material that hooks/ties/hangs up in the ceiling/top of the tent to hold pocket contents or some things slightly larger. Does your tent have loops/ties or does the material?

I see your "Runners Handbook" in one photo. Ever thought of doing any of the Disney Runs? Besides the 5k/Half/Whole Marathon weekend in January they have started offering a number of more events throughout the spring/fall. I did a Disney 5k/10k/Half/Whole one each in four consecutive years (couldn't do any now to save my life )

Good luck on your planning!

Bama ED
Jan 1988 FW 700 Loop (tent).......Jan 2004 FW 2500 Loop (cabin)....... Apr 2011 FW 2000 Loop (pop-up)
May 1988 FW 1200 Loop (tent).... May 2006 FW 900 Loop (pop-up) .... Mar 2012 FW 1500 Loop (pop-up)
Dec 1995 Contemporary.............. Mar 2007 FW 1000 Loop (pop-up).... Apr 2013 FW 100 Loop (pop-up)

plus countless WDW day trips, DL 3X, DLP 2X - TV: 2005 Chevy Suburban - Camper: 2014 Aliner Expedition - Nights Camped: 182
bama_ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 06:54 PM   #38
WalkingintheFog
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bama_ed View Post
Nice setup!

Sometimes tents of that variety have what they call a "gear loft" which is a piece of material that hooks/ties/hangs up in the ceiling/top of the tent to hold pocket contents or some things slightly larger. Does your tent have loops/ties or does the material?
One is a small triangle (equilateral), and attaches to the ceiling..1/2 is mesh, the other same as the wall material...could hold pocket contents.
Another is a long thin right angle triangle, same material as the floor... no idea what it might accomplish... too small to be even a door mat.
The last one is a big trapezoid, same material as the wall.... looks like it could hook to the side of the door to curtain off a wee zippered door at the bottom (shoe porch?), but I could only attach it to 2 points (seems to be where it should go, maybe I just don't have the tent "squared" well... yard is bit of a slope).

Quote:
Originally Posted by bama_ed View Post
I see your "Runners Handbook" in one photo. Ever thought of doing any of the Disney Runs? Besides the 5k/Half/Whole Marathon weekend in January they have started offering a number of more events throughout the spring/fall. I did a Disney 5k/10k/Half/Whole one each in four consecutive years (couldn't do any now to save my life )

Good luck on your planning!

Bama ED
I can't for the life of me fathom running 42.2k!
Having said that, yes, I'll be doing the Tower of Terror 10miler this trip! I had originally booked (& rented points thru Dave's DVC.. ie prepaid/non refundable) the trip to do the Wine & Dine Half: when they rescheduled that for November & intro'd the TOT 10miler, I figured if I played w/ my dates & stretched my vacation, I could manage a Half Marathon in Toronto 2 wks later. (lol, and I just committed to be 1/4 of a Full Marathon Relay Team the weekend before... but it all fits w/ my taper for the Half!)
AND! Trying to figure where to stay after DVC Boardwalk Villas, that would not be toooo much of a let down, led me to my Eureka! moment of "I could camp at the Fort!!!!"

Old 07-12-2012, 06:56 PM   #39
glennbo123
DIS Veteran

The tent looks great! It looks very homey with the chair and table.

James and I slept out in our backyard a couple of nights last summer in a tent similar to yours (but not the same).

I see you have a rainfly but there are still some screen-areas at the very top....could the leftover scraps be intended to cover them?
glennbo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 07:19 PM   #40
WalkingintheFog
DIS Veteran

Nope, can't see them being for the top!
This is a great tent! The tent has 2 doors, a main one & a smaller rear door (not to mention a little wee one for boots (and I guess for the dog...), but it has 4 large screen windows, that the rain fly covers. Where you see the clear plastic on the fly, the tent itself has zipped 'blinds" in case you want to block out the direct light!
It's so cool!

It's almost 10pm, completely dark, and I'm still out in the tent! This mattress & my pillow as a back rest are so comfy!!!!!

I better go put guy lines down to anchor the tent in case it gets gustier overnight!

QUESTION: how breezy is it usually in October (assuming no hurricanes, of course!) I can't for the life of me remember it being breezy at the parks!

Old 07-13-2012, 10:19 AM   #41
teekathepony
DIS Veteran

Hello from a fellow Atlantic Canadian! I'm joining in, camping in WDW sounds so awesome I can't wait to hear all about it!
teekathepony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 08:26 AM   #42
WalkingintheFog
DIS Veteran

Hello to you Caper! I hopped over to your pretrippie: We just miss each other!
At the moment I land in MCO (same TO-MCO flt as ye!) on Sep 25 MIght like to try for a few days earlier...that's still up in the air...lol.

Loving this tent! Found out the real purpose of the little side door:

His name is Basil.... He's a Pound Puppy Special (ie, abandoned at the city pound at an early age, but became my light a week later)
I wanted a name from the earth (a la Watership Down & Duncton Wood) and I credit my nephew w/ that name! Many years earlier, as a pre-schooler, he was singing his little songs, so happy and proud he knew all the words:
There was a farmer who had a dog,
B-I-N-G-O
B-I-N-G-O
B-I-N-G-O
And Basil was his name-o.
(The Great Mouse Detective was a favourite video at the time)

Old 07-14-2012, 08:35 AM   #43
WalkingintheFog
DIS Veteran

And, I'm continuing my wannabe-a-real-campsite-experience with Breakfast cooked outdoors.
Has anyone used these emergency stoves before?
  • You need to use 2 tablets to boil ~2c of water.
  • HEAVYDUTY tin foil under the kettle/pan is a good idea as the tablets create soot
  • I'll be using my electric auto-shutoff kettle at the Fort, not this!
And you can see the Minnie mug that matches my Mickey mug from a prev post! Loves a cuppa tea!

Old 07-14-2012, 08:50 AM   #44
WalkingintheFog
DIS Veteran

And, to enhance the quasi camping experience, I also lit my backyard fire (contrary to the appearance, it is further from the tent, and also on a large fire pad than it all appears)!

This tent is a keeper (thanks Sis!). I'd like to bring this one w/ me....my preference is that anything as crucial as tent/bed/pillow is something that I've tried & tested & trust!
It took me 11 mins to set the tent up solo w/out instructions, not counting guying the fly later.

Again, this preTrippie is coming to you LIVE! From my TENT... at home!

NEXT UP: Taking the tent down, and testing out screen houses!

Old 07-14-2012, 12:19 PM   #45
WalkingintheFog
DIS Veteran

Mystery solved!

I've figured out and fitted in the last 2 leftover parts of the tent!

Long thin triangle is apparently not tooooo small to use anywhere...it's a door mat!

And, no, wee doggie has no intention of sleeping there.....he's just posing there.
Here's where he feels he should sleep:
(and see the final mysterious piece: I guess it's meant to hide the sight of whatever you put in thru the wee doggie door! If I had it aligned correctly before, I would have figured it out!)

But the tent is now collapsed, re-packed (and weighed: it's 22.2 lbs).

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: