Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2012, 02:55 PM   #16
tinah159
DIS Veteran

Your tent camping gear has been taken care of! I hope you have a great trip!

Our Travel Trailer: "The Nightcrawler" 2010 Wildcat 5th Wheel
tinah159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 03:02 PM   #17
tinah159
DIS Veteran

Your tent camping gear has been taken care of. I hope you have a great vacation!

Our Travel Trailer: "The Nightcrawler" 2010 Wildcat 5th Wheel
tinah159 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-08-2012, 09:23 PM   #18
WalkingintheFog
DIS Veteran

Location: North America's most easterly city: St.John's Newfoundland and Labrador!

Woo Hoo! Thanks Tina!

And I've just booked my flights this AM! Couldn't get exactly what I wanted, but close enough:
I had to shave a few days off my stay at Pop, but then I've a week at Boardwalk, 6 nights at THE FORT!!!! and then 5 days in the big T O (Toronto) for a Half Marathon!

I've got a HUGE Exam in April, so I've had to put a lot of my trip planning on the back burner for a bit (yes, like any good Disser, I've got my itinerary formulated & my ADRs ready to call in).

WalkingintheFog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 10:26 AM   #19
WalkingintheFog
DIS Veteran

Location: North America's most easterly city: St.John's Newfoundland and Labrador!

Question Safety & Security while Tent Camping: Lightning, Snakes, even Evil Persons

LIGHTNING!!!!!!!
We don't get a lot of lightning here, but I know tents are no protection, get inside a structure that's always permanently enclosed (eg hard side/hardtop trailer or car or building), be low & have a small footprint, and get the metals/electronics off yourself.

How is the first half of October for Lightning? For vicious lightning?
(I expect rain, and probably heavy rain, even for a full day or 2... that's why tarps, board games, beer & snacks were invented)
SNAKES!!!!! SPIDERS!!!!!
I know WDW is built on a swamp. There are snakes & spiders: small/big, harmless/harmful.
I've read various threads, and even tho I've only seen one spider (and didn't stop as we were rushing to the ME for the airport), I know lots of people have seen snakes, spiders, & small alligators at The Fort, various resorts, DTD, and even the parks. yes, and there have been people bitten as well (I think because of reaching into vegetation or taking short cuts thru shrubs or low vegetation)

BUt there aren't any of these here on the Rock (aka Newfoundland)--- I have no idea what their habits are.
So, as relates to a tent campsite:
- Do I need to be concerned about snakes/spiders under a tent floor?
- Are they attracted to anything?
- Does the dope WDW spray around discourage them?
- Are there precautions I need to take on my campsite?
I expect there will be Lovebugs, given they don't bite or fly up your nose, they're just a small nuisance if numerous

SECURITY (from EVIL PERSONS!)
I've read:
- don't be obvious about the "valuables" at your site (if you're a thief and reading this: this is an old etch-a sketch painted black & silver--not a laptop. I'm American--no passport. And that camera is a $10 disposable....move along!)
- you should keep your valuables with you at all times (not always feasible, eg laundry day or while in the pool. And even tho' parks have lockers available at a cost, one doesn't alway want to have to lug a knapsack to/from a park))
- you can lock them in your suitcase (don't steal my suitcase)
- you can get a lockable bin or plastic trunk to leave in your tent
- you can get a lock for your tent (assuming they try the door instead of slicing the tent open w/ sharp knife)
- there's a safe at the Outpost reception area
- you should have a car to lock them in while you're away.
(While WDW is known to be relatively safe, things can still happen)

1) Where can you buy locks for tents?
2) Has anyone used the fabled safe at the Outpost? Or is it just that they hold your item(s) in the back room? Do you get a receipt?
.....I'm thinking here about Passport/Cdn $$/full memory cards until departure, and laptop during days when I'm away from site. What can you tell me about this?
3) If one locks valuables in a car, even in early October, doesn't it get awfully hot in the car? Like, realllly hot?
What do you do? Leave the windows open a crack?
(I'm thinking electronics: Laptops. Even Camera if you've gone swimming.)
(I'm not planning on a car, WDW busses will take me where I want to go, although a car would also be a comfort in case of lightning storm, massive rainfall)

Last edited by WalkingintheFog; 03-10-2012 at 10:41 AM.
Old 03-14-2012, 02:15 PM   #20
Ashley Kees
DIS Veteran

Don't know if you're still in need of camping equipment, but if you contact a local girl scout or boy scout troop, I can guarantee they will rent you their camping gear if they have it for a VERY low rate. If you are attached to the troop in some way (family member in the troop) they will probably just let you borrow it for free.
[COLOR="Purple"]2013 2013 Ft. Wilderness or Offsite
ME DH DB18 DD9 DD7 DS5 Muffin
Ashley Kees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 08:24 PM   #21
WalkingintheFog
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the intel, Ashley Kees! I think I'm good!

Anyone able to give any insight into the potential issues of LIGHTNING!!!!!!! SNAKES!!!!! SPIDERS!!!!! and ack: SECURITY (from EVIL PERSONS!)?

Please and Thanks!

Old 03-14-2012, 08:46 PM   #22
2goofycampers
Sounds like something a camping trip could cure
Enjoy the beer and wine you will love it

I've not heard of problems with the 4 things you mentioned. Relax and enjoy.

2goofycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 04:07 PM   #23
PattyBee
Earning My Ears

I have tent camped at Fort Wilderness many times and also in October. It's a good time to go weather (heat) wise. I can't remember ever being afraid of lightning. I'm sure I would remember if I had ever gone through a bad storm there. Hurricane season ends November 30th so you still have that possibility. Having a tarp over the entry way of your tent is a good idea so you don't have to step out of your tent directly into the rain. Also I gave up on Walmart (cheap) tents here in Florida where it can be nice one minute and raining the next. I broke down and bought a really good tent that has a fly that goes on top of and all the way down the outside of the tent. It's the only kind you can pretty much count on to not leak. Mine are Kelty brand but if you research it there are other good brands out there.
As far as the insect problem the only problem I have run into is mosquitoes. Definitely bring mosquito repellent. I have seen the FW CM drive around the camping loops and spray for mosquitoes. I have never had any problems with ants or snakes either.

As far as valuables, I have always locked everything in my trunk. There are lockers over by the pool. You could lock your valuables up there. It wouldn't get as hot as my car trunk either. Hmmm...I'll have to keep that in mind myself next time I go...lol.
Before we leave for the parks we always try to place our ice chest where it will be in the shade to keep the ice from melting faster. Also you can buy ice at the comfort stations which are in every loop.
Like I said I have tent camped there many times and most of those times it was just me and my kids. I have never felt unsafe. Security does patrol around through out the day and evening.
You can make a list of any more questions like the lockers or if you can buy an ice chest at the store in FW and then call directly to Fort Wilderness. I'm sure that would be helpful.
Oh and you might consider bringing a small battery powered fan to be more comfortable sleeping at night. Also an air mattress is cooler to sleep on than a camping mat/pad.
I LOVE DW and camping at FW. I have considered going by myself before but never have. Hope you have a wonderful time.

Patty in Florida
PattyBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 03:08 PM   #24
WalkingintheFog
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PattyBee View Post
As far as the insect problem the only problem I have run into is mosquitoes. Definitely bring mosquito repellent. I have seen the FW CM drive around the camping loops and spray for mosquitoes. I have never had any problems with ants or snakes either.
Mosquito Repellant: yuck! and Check! On the list now!

Quote:
........................As far as valuables,.........There are lockers over by the pool. You could lock your valuables up there. It wouldn't get as hot as my car trunk either. Hmmm...I'll have to keep that in mind myself next time I go...lol.
Did not know there were lockers at the pool!
Any idea if there is a safe or such at Reception as well?

Quote:
...............Before we leave for the parks we always try to place our ice chest where it will be in the shade to keep the ice from melting faster.
That is a good point!

Quote:
.............Oh and you might consider bringing a small battery powered fan to be more comfortable sleeping at night. Also an air mattress is cooler to sleep on than a camping mat/pad.
lol, the fans were the first thing on the list! I'm a woman of a certain age!
Air mattress = coolness! Good point!

Quote:
I LOVE DW and camping at FW. I have considered going by myself before but never have. Hope you have a wonderful time.

Patty in Florida
Yay! Thanks, Patty!

Old 03-19-2012, 05:32 AM   #25
PattyBee
Earning My Ears

Never inquired ....

..... about a safe because I have always had my auto to lock up things. The best thing to do is make a list of your questions and call directly to the front desk at Fort Wilderness. Also ask about the things you were thinking you needed to go outside DW to buy ie: ice chest, etc. I'm thinking you might be able to buy an ice chest at the store there.

Patty in Florida
PattyBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:19 AM   #26
skyp4WDW
Mouseketeer

Keep a good eye on your children. Don't have a false sense of security simply because you're at Ft Wilderness/Disney. (A 12-year-old was attacked in one of the laundry rooms about two years ago). These incidents are kept very "quiet" but they happen everywhere including Disney.
Old 03-19-2012, 07:54 PM   #27
WalkingintheFog
DIS Veteran

Ack! That's horrible!

This Trip camping is just me solo with no car (so no children to watch out for!) I was thinking more in terms of my belongings while away from site!

Old 03-19-2012, 08:06 PM   #28
chartle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkingintheFog View Post
Ack! That's horrible!

This Trip camping is just me solo with no car (so no children to watch out for!) I was thinking more in terms of my belongings while away from site!
First Disney does not hush these things up and attacks of any type are very rare.

There is more to the above story though that doesn't need to be talked about here.

Again you just need to have normal stranger danger awareness like you would have in any kind of "public" place.
Old 03-31-2012, 07:52 PM   #29
cloudswinger
Earning My Ears

If you don't mind sharing your campsite, I'd be willing to bring whatever camping stuff you might need. I'm in S. Florida and have never camped at FW either. If those are weekday dates then it'd be myself and my 8 yo daughter in our tent since my husband works generally m-f.

I have an extra tent, air mattress, cooler, stove and most camp gear that you'd need. I can bring our bikes too.

Lovebugs aren't usually around in Oct. Snakes are pretty rare. Spiders are everywhere, but they eat bugs, so that's a good thing. Lightning is rare in dry season, which Oct should be. Weather should be very nice in Oct for camping.
cloudswinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 06:32 AM   #30
Marshel
Mouseketeer

The way they secure valuables at the outpost is by means of small safety deposit boxes that they give you supposedly the only key to. You have to sign an agreement that you will be responsible for the fee to drill out and replace the lock if you should happen to lose the key. It was a while back when I used one, they were something like 8x10x2or3 inches, not big enough for a laptop. That was 6,7 years ago, they might have changed since.
Marshel is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: