Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2013, 03:39 PM   #151
pooh4me
DIS Veteran

Waiting for the rest of your trip report have loved it so far.
Old 05-19-2013, 11:17 AM   #152
WalkingintheFog
DIS Veteran

Location: North America's most easterly city: St.John's Newfoundland and Labrador!

I'll be updating again! Time to start DisDreaming again!

Life just got in the way too much this winter! I'm embarassed that I let so much time go by, but there it is!

But I'm ready to start planning a new DisTrip or 2 , but have told myself this trip report has to get completed!

So, my commitment to self & DisBoards is to update with at least 2-3 days worth each weekend (this weekend being a long weekend! so Tomorrow!)

So, to all who've commented, to all you lurkers, and to anyone new who are clicking on link in my signature, stay tuned!
The Camping Adventure begins after 3 more days of The Boardwalk Adventure!

WalkingintheFog is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-28-2013, 06:45 PM   #153
WalkingintheFog
DIS Veteran

Location: North America's most easterly city: St.John's Newfoundland and Labrador!

The Boardwalk Adventure Oct 1 Monday.
On tap for today: Change of rooms, Epcot's 30th + more Food & Wine for me! And a spur of the moment trip to MK

Had my last balcony breakfast in this room: tea & leftover Funghi Pizza from Via Napoli! OMG, leftover pizza is always so good!

Got my baggage together, called bag services to come stow it until next room avail, and went down to the pool to soak my legs for a while.... it was so nice, there was nobody at the pool at that point, 9am, 10am?

Its the 30th Anniversary of Epcot, so thats where I head to! I had to pack up my gear this AM for room move, so did not get on go early. I walk over, & thru the International Gateway by 10:45. They are giving out 30th anniv badges at the gate. & Ive made Rope Drop! For the World Showcase!

Standing at the rope with several others, the CM jokingly begs us all to promise him that not one of us will run, at least not until hes got the rope all the way down and gives the go ahead to enter World Showcase.
We are all quite civilized, and noone runs, even after the go-ahead.... there are a few speed walkers tho!

My 2nd favourite place at EPCOT is Japan (Morocco is 1st!)
The gardens are beautiful, and generally empty! Strange but true!
And the dept store is like a fortress, right down to the mounted guards at the gate. The small museum to the left is usually uncrowded. I always check to see what they have in blue dishes....

I bought 4 beautiful blue & grey japanese plates at Pier 1 Imports in Toronto in the late 80s or so, and so wish I had more!.....(holy moley... the late 80s? Thats over 20 yrs ago... where did time go?
So, I look everytime I'm in a store selling Oriental dishware.....

Here's the plate:
If you have em & dont want em, send them my way! Every so often I check ebay & search online, but had not found any .

(This is tonight's supper!)

Old 05-28-2013, 08:53 PM   #154
WalkingintheFog
DIS Veteran

Mmm! Grazing around the world!

Japan: Karaage Hand Roll: Crispy Chicken Breast w/ Sushi Rice and Spicy Mayonnaise $4.25
And! Sukiyaki Beef Pan: Marinated thinly sliced Rib Eye w/ Sauteed Onions and Teriyaki Sauce served in a bun $4.50

Poland:
Zapiekanki: Toasted Mushroom, Caramelized Onion and Cheese Bread w/ House-Made Ketchup $3.00
.... Just okay! And not very attractive to warrant a picture!

And from one of my favourite countries (the country of Cheese): Cheese Fondue w/ Sourdough Bread $3.25
And from another favourite country (the country of The Brewer's Collection):

At 2pm, I stop grazing, promising myself that will be it until suppertime! ......Lol, who am I trying to kid.... I was headed for a repeat of the Dessert Trio! Yum Yum!

I sat on a shaded bench to enjoy it....
There were 2 sets of people at the bench next to me, one lady had set her wine glass down on the bench..... a guy with the other party returns with their food, doesn’t notice it as he hands his parents (?) their food, and he turns to sit, and Smash! Glad the glasses are plastic not glass!

It was an awkward situation... he offered to replace it, and rather than being gracious about it, she was kinda snarky.......I'm thinking, Lady! It's a park bench! Not a table! How could you not be aware there was someone starting to sit next to you! Anyway, after a lot of confusion, he managed to buy her a replacement glass of wine.

I headed towards Future World, and hey! There’s the cranberry bog, and free craisins! Free samples! (No sugar reduced ones, but I did find sugar reduced Craisins at Super Target!
Funny how we think dried fruit is so healthy and great, but many are loaded in sugar! Not only do they become sweeter as they dry, but many are given a sugar bath as well!

~6 pm, I headed back to BW (via a quick stop at the Boardwalk Bakery for a Croissant ), get my new room: #2113
Great room! And not a groundfloor! Location of this room is great for me! Midway along the corridor, closer to the DHS end,looking out towards the road/bridge/Epcot, (the bus stop is dead ahead, not that I can see it) but with trees in front, so it’s relatively quiet.... oh baby is it ever quieter than the first room right about the luggage area! This is going to be sublime! (On the map, it’s the light green section x097- x121)... an odd number so faces the road..................

I'm just settling in the room, w/ the luggage & my perishables (bell services had a fridge to hold those in) delivered to room, andridge, and just start to pull a picnic supper together when I get a Skype call from oldest sister. Skype & wireless laptops are great! She got to see the room, the view up & down the hall, out the balcony, and then I sat on the balcony.

Haven't quite finished supper before I get another! Skype call from another sister (oldest sister quite likely messaged her to say it was a good time to reach me!) Surprised I still have battery strength on the laptop!

So, another tour of room, hallway, view, etc (it’s dark by now, but this is the sister that I want to sell on how great BWV is!! We hope to visit together next November*). Fireworks start, and except for the tree I can see them from my room! Whoa! This is the first evening I’ve been in the room during the fireworks, hadn’t even considered that view! And oh! It’s Epcot’s 30th anniv fireworks! They’re going to be special! I make my goodbyes to sister, and make a quick exit to the road to finish watching them. Awesome!!! If I were on 4th floor, I bet I could see the fireworks! Or a couple rooms to left or right!

Hmm, I'm outside... the fireworks have ended, and there's the bus to Magic Kingdom! Gosh, I love having a park hopper!

So, it's a spur of the moment trip to Magic Kingdom. The castle is so beautiful at night.... but you know, I realize I spend so much time going, I have never really just stopped and really took time looking at the castle!
Next trip for sure.... writing it down now in "notes to self"

What a nice end to the day!

And, the people in the room next/above below apparently wore themselves out in the early evening! lol, as noisy as they were, I just glad the people in the room next to me made “their noise” in the early evening.... either they were worn out or I was too worn out to hear, but I think we all got a good nights sleep!

Old 06-01-2013, 05:32 PM   #155
WalkingintheFog
DIS Veteran

The Boardwalk Adventure Continues Oct 2 Tuesday.
On tap for today: Puttering, Blizzard Beach in the rain, and a spur of the moment trip to Marshalls & Super Target (not to mention a few wrong turns!

Got up, puttered about. Aww, so peaceful outside new room! Marking this in my book for next year! Ask for a room in this vicinity!

And one of the nicest things of having a studio is getting to make Breakfast! (They provided sm.fridge, microwave, toaster, coffeemaker, dishes & sink. I brought the electric frypan (need it for camping portion of trip)
My view of breakfast:

My view at breakfast:

After puttering for the morning, I drove -----(oh, I am loving having a rent-a-car! At $100/wk, it was cheap enough that I never felt I HAD to drive – so if I thought I’d have a drink or be tired before heading home, I just took the Disney bus!)-----ahem... I drove to Blizzard Beach.

But first! Speaking of Blizzard Beach & icebergs, check out this amazing picture of an iceberg taken a sea-kayaker here in Newfoundland a couple of weeks ago!
- No not photo-shopped, and yes, I think he was way too close!

When there are icebergs nearby at this time of year (and for the next month or so), one tends to go for a lot more drives! And if you can snag a chunk of iceberg ice, bonus! It’s the coldest and freshest (and oldest) ice you’ll ever have!

Have you ever seen the like?

Old 06-01-2013, 06:22 PM   #156
WalkingintheFog
DIS Veteran

Still, gotta love the Disney version of icebergs!
The day was overcast, and I knew at some point it would rain, so I found a lounger/chair under one of the roofframes (what are they called? A wall-less shelter?) to stash my gear where it would stay dry. Smart move!
Because it did pour! It was hard & heavy, but it was short!
But the paark cleared out! Unless it’s lightning & thundering, hang around!

I enjoyed the lazy canal, but I can’t help but wonder: any snakes slither in today? I’m sure that’s rare & dealt with promptly, but I think I’d walk on water in my haste to move away!
Sssssstay out, missssster Ssssnake!

At this point, about 4pm, the sky got darker and darker.... big rain coming for sure!
I went back to my lounge for my gear to pack up to leave: What timing! DOWN it came! POURED! I had an umbrella to shield my knacksack as I head to the showers/change room. By the time I was out, it was just overcast again.

I needed a few items (was still wondering if I’d pull together a halloween outfit for MNSSHP), so while daylight, I drove down to the SuperTarget that’s just past the Walmart...... the same parking lot has a Joannes, Marshalls, and Dollar General, so I did a quick run thru of those first (I think the addr is 4799 Irlo Bronson @ Target Blvd).

Lol, I love the little motivational sayings you can get in frames or whatever... like HOPE..... FAITH.... even CHOCOLATE!... they are all words to live by.

This one had me laughing out loud!:

I spent way too much time browsing Marshalls & Dollar General (but did get some items that would have cost me more at Target, including a pair of arch supports & a hallowe’en shirt for my dog!), so allotted myself 25 mins there, as I did not fancy being on strange & fast roads in darkness!).

And I was out in 25 mins, but already dusky. Thanks to a couple minor wrong turns, total darkness before I got got back. But I stopped in a Walgreens, and did a couple U-turns. U-turns are wild. Lol, we don’t get to do them here, and I nearly fell over in shock when I was here a couple years ago with cousin’s husband driving, and he just whips around in a U-turn! Didn’t know they were part of the drive! Lol!

So, I get back to BWV w/ no mishaps or undue stress. Driving is really not too bad. Just a bit nerve wracking to see signs looking like you’re headed to “freeways” or “toll roads” when you don’t expect them! Next time I rent a car, I’ll bring a GPS!

Old 06-03-2013, 06:11 AM   #158
WalkingintheFog
DIS Veteran

Thanks Glennbo!
My trip report is not getting much readership (or least no comments!)....I'm thinking about putting a few hidden Judys in! But I'm committed to finishing it nonetheless!

And, err... that was 16k, not 10k! (I worked the hardest I ever did to finish that 16k! the last 6k near killed me! lol!)
So not used to that humidity!

Old 06-03-2013, 08:14 PM   #159
glennbo123
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkingintheFog View Post
Thanks Glennbo!
My trip report is not getting much readership (or least no comments!)....I'm thinking about putting a few hidden Judys in! But I'm committed to finishing it nonetheless!
Yay, I'm glad you're committed to finishing...I'm looking forward to the camping part! Regarding readership, I think it's key to hit the right tempo regarding updates. Slow enough that people can stay caught-up, but fast enough that between your updates and readers' comments you keep your thread bubbling to page 1 of the TR board. I think that about 2 updates a week is probably optimal. You may notice that my pace is 1+ weeks between updates, so definitely not optimal! But it's the best I can do at this point in time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkingintheFog View Post
And, err... that was 16k, not 10k! (I worked the hardest I ever did to finish that 16k! the last 6k near killed me! lol!)
So not used to that humidity!
You are so right to correct me! 16K is amazing!!!
glennbo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 04:24 PM   #160
WalkingintheFog
DIS Veteran

The Boardwalk Adventure Continues Oct 3: Wednesday.
On tap for today: ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!

Today is for laundry and pool time.
Started the day with another balcony breakfast (Sweet Potato (microwave-baked), yogurt & tea – oh, so so nice to be able to sit outside with breakfast!

Then it’s down to the laundry facilities.
BWV 1 & 2 Bdrm units apparently have their own washers/dryers, but the studios do not. Instead there are free W/D in a card-accessed room down by Muscles & Bustles, which is right by Luna Pool.

Laundry: they are front loading High Efficiency Machines, and they do sell Bounce/Colorsafe Bleach/Wisk & All in a coin operated machine at $1 a pop.... it takes quarters, not loonies (?err, are there $1 coins in the States? I can’t remember!... Loonies are what we Canadians call our $1 coin (they feature a Loon)......... Twoonies are our $2 coins.

And of course, it’s pool time between loads of laundry! Luna Pool and that clown with the gravity-defying hair/sideburns.

Maybe it was the time of year, but there weren’t many people at the pool. Even with the kids activities just a few metres away!

And yes! Of course I went for a slide down the the spiral slide...
lol, This little kid, came running up the steps to the slide behind me, he passes me and then! He turns and laughs at me: Ha! ...(So, what he was saying was “ ha! I’m skipping you because I’m faster!).
“Little snot” I thought to myself! But aloud, I mildly said, “I would have stepped aside and let you go ahead anyway you know”
“Little snot” I thought again to myself!

But when I came back to the lounge, there was this youngish fellow, fully dressed, kinda sketchy looking, who had sat at a chair at the table right next to my lounger, he was videotaping nothing in particular it seemed.
At first I figured maybe some of the kids in the pool were his, but they moved on & he didn’t. It was weird!
But after a while he got up and left, and just a minute or 2 later, an official suit comes by, the life guard talks to him points discreetly in direction buddy went and the suit goes in that direction!

There was another couple in the pool & it turned out they had snagged the lounges next to me, I had noticed them taking pictures of each other and the 2 kids with them, and it was so nice, because they were so obviously still so much in love with each other.
• The husband was on the lounger right next to me. The kids threw something to him from the pool, just barely missing me which then started a conversation between him and I. He was a sociable type! So we chatted for a bit. They were at SSR, DVC owners, so exercising their privelege to pool hop.
• The thing the kids threw was the iPhone, in a “Lifeproof” case – waterproof, shockproof, etc! I bought one for myself! It looks way better than having the phone in 2 ziplocks!

Laundry: check!
Balcony Lunch: check! (Ham & Vache Qui Rit sandwich with lettuce/tomato, Apple & a beer (because after all, it was a like a hot summer afternoon- overcast, but still hot!).

After picking up a MNSSHP tkt for next day, I headed to DTD via bus for the rest of the day.
Nothing in mind, just strolling around, then supper somewhere new..... at least that was the plan!

Old 06-15-2013, 04:28 PM   #161
WalkingintheFog
DIS Veteran

The Boardwalk Adventure Continues Oct 3: Wednesday.
On tap for today: ABSOLUTELY NOTHING! (Oct 3 continued)

For supper, I had Bongos Cuban Café in mind...I was determined to try a new restaurant!
By the time I was hungry at 7, it was dark and that menu on the side of the wall is not (was not) lit up. I explained I was not able to see the menu, did they have another one I could look at, but was told “all we serve is on that menu”. I explained again, that because it was dark & the menu was not lit, I couldn’t see what was on it. “No,” the girl said in an irritated voice,”all that we serve is on that menu. That’s the only one we have”.

Do you think I ate there? No way, Jose!

Next stop: Wolfgang Puck Express West End (so much for some place new!)
Wolfgang Puck Express rarely fails to please! It’s tableservice disguised as counterservice!
Placed my order, and sat at one of the few vacant areas (a set of 3 tables).
The table staff were all so great! I asked the lady serving the other table for vinegar malt or white for my fries (How does one eat French Fries without vinegar??): she came back saying no white/malt but she brought a little pot of balsamic in case that would do. And the one assigned to my order was so pleasant as well. When I was done, I looked for both to give a tip to each (sometimes tipping irritates me, as it’s an expectation regardless of service. But when somebody treats me genuine & nicely, I try to acknowledge them.

So, that’s lot of walking this evenying, but are my feet hurting as badly as before?
Nope!..Those arch supports I picked up at Dollar General yesterday are really making a difference! Not hobbling!

Old 06-15-2013, 04:31 PM   #162
WalkingintheFog
DIS Veteran

The Boardwalk Adventure Continues Oct 3: Wednesday. Oct 3 continued.
It's my last night at BWV!!!!! (Oct 3 continued)

Guess what????? This is my last night at BWV! Tomorrow it’s goodbye to EPCOT living, and Howdy to The Fort! The Camping Adventure begins tomorrow!!!!!

Old 06-17-2013, 11:23 AM   #163
glennbo123
DIS Veteran

Good stories! The little kid passing you on the stairs up the slide, that never happens to me....I try to take up enough space that they can't pass and/or I shoot 'em a mean look. As mean as I'm able.

That guy taking video -- creepy.

I hadn't heard of Lifeproof cases, I might have to look into that.

I don't blame you for not eating at Bongo's with the reception you got. You should've told her you can't read.

Looking forward to the camping stories!
glennbo123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: