Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Gay and Lesbian at Disney
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2014, 06:17 PM   #1
Lesley M
Earning My Ears

Trans at WDW with RFI Bracelet

Hello all, new here...

I was last at WDW about 25 years ago or more. Anyhow, I've recently began to transition from my assigned birth sex to the female side of the binary. I pass well enough and have read some threads about being trans at WDW. I am not terribly worried about that.

What I am concerned with is my name while at WDW. I've not yet had my state issued ID changed. My family was sent the WDW RFI bracelets already and mine has my preferred name under it.

It is my understanding that I will need to present the state ID and do a biometric finger scan for the RFI bracelet I was sent. I am fine with explaining the name at that time, but will I have to do it over and over again?

Outside of presenting the ID at the very beginning, how often if at all after that will I need to use my legal name? Will it show up when I sign up for fast passes, food, etc?

And how is WDW about carding people for adult beverages. I am in my late 30's so I don't look all that much like 21 year old anymore
Lesley M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 07:43 PM   #2
nancipants
Mouseketeer

I believe your name pops up when you scan the band for Fast Passes, etc. (I've had cast members greet me by name after that), but I think it is the name that is associated with your Magic Band.

I've never gotten carded at Disney and I look younger than 33. Neither has my fiance, who is 8 years younger than me.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-12-2014, 07:49 PM   #3
lilclerk
Mouseketeer

The only times I've needed to show ID is when I was picking up/replacing an annual pass, and when checking in to a resort.

I'd imagine the only time you would need to show it is if your MB stops working at the turnstiles for whatever reason.

lilclerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 08:33 PM   #4
Lesley M
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancipants View Post
I believe your name pops up when you scan the band for Fast Passes, etc. (I've had cast members greet me by name after that), but I think it is the name that is associated with your Magic Band.

I've never gotten carded at Disney and I look younger than 33. Neither has my fiance, who is 8 years younger than me.
Which name would that be? The preferred name or the state ID name? Sorry for the novice questions, but the name that I think is associated with my MB is my preferred name.

Right now, prior to arrival, my MB is labeled with my preffered name.
Old 04-13-2014, 06:38 PM   #5
ChrisNY2
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesley M View Post
Which name would that be? The preferred name or the state ID name? Sorry for the novice questions, but the name that I think is associated with my MB is my preferred name.

Right now, prior to arrival, my MB is labeled with my preffered name.
I don't think it's necessarily the name that is printed on the inside of the MB - you can have that printed with (most) anything you want: "MickeyFan", "Mom" etc.

It's likely the official name that is in the hotel reservation.

Resorts so far (trying to stay at all of them!): GF, VGF, BLT, BC, BCV, BW, AKL, CB, AS Sports, AoA, FW
ChrisNY2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 09:17 PM   #6
Lesley M
Earning My Ears

So the hotel is under my wifes name, out of habit she added my legal name (and in conjuction with travel planse etc...) So will I be asked to verify my ticket with a finger scan constantly?
Old 04-13-2014, 11:43 PM   #7
JeanfromBNA
"Just keep swimming, swimming, swimming!"

You'll use your magic band and finger scan, similar to the way the KTTW and finger scan worked.

I haven't been carded at WDW in a long time. I wouldn't worry about it. Just make sure that you have your reservation confirmation numbers with you on your MDE ap or somewhere else.

1995 Disney Institute Treehouses 2005 Wilderness Lodge 2007 Yacht Club 2008 Coronado Springs 2008 Beach Club 2009 Grand Floridian 2009 Disney Wonder
2009 Disney Wonder 2009 Polynesian Resort 2011 Coronado Springs 2011 Portofino Bay Hotel UO 2012 Old Key West October, 2012, Proud new DVC AKL Kidani owners!May, 2013 Disney DreamSeptember, 2013 AulaniMarch, 2014 BWV October, 2014 AKV
JeanfromBNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 08:28 AM   #8
jeanigor

Top of the "list" (now, which list is it?)
Don't pee on the parquet

Quote:
So the hotel is under my wifes name, out of habit she added my legal name (and in conjuction with travel planse etc...) So will I be asked to verify my ticket with a finger scan constantly?
As a previous poster experienced, I have only been asked to show ID when checking in, renewing my annual pass or large credit card purchases. I cannot recall if ever I showed my photo ID at WDW for park entry or for fast pass. (Disneyland Annual Pass on the other hand...)

I think the name that they use is the one that you have set up on My Disney Experience (not the necessarily the one printed on your band or your legal name).
jeanigor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:08 PM   #9
Spork24
Mouseketeer

This will absolutely not be a problem. As long as your ID matches your credit card you want to use when you check in (if you are doing room charge) you shouldn't need an ID for anything else other than proving you are at least 21 to buy adult beverages. (Bartenders don't match your ID to your MB)

Have fun and enjoy Disney!!!
Spork24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:12 PM   #10
Spork24
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Everyone has to fingerscan every time they enter a park, it will have nothing to do with your name. They just want to make sure you are the only one using your ticket.

Again, this is NOT anything to worry about. Have Fun!
Spork24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:43 PM   #11
Lesley M
Earning My Ears

Thanks for the info... I just want to know what I'm in for. Disney is so much more advanced than when I visited as a child!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: