Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2012, 02:59 PM   #136
Valgoof
DIS Veteran

Joining in from the Roll Call thread. No idea what took me so long!! Love the pics of last year's trip!! We also went last December and loved it so much we are going back this December. Feedback--Day 1 meals seem awfully close together. Maybe a lighter lunch or late breakfast?? Day 2 looks awesome. We rode Star Tours over and over. So fun!! And I agree the Osborne Lights are AMAZING!!!!

3 trips as a kid/teen-Offsite Dec 2011-Offsite Dec 2012-Pop Century Feb 2014-OKW
Nov 2014-Coronado Springs and AKV Kidani

Valgoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 02:59 PM   #137
BDL
DIS Veteran

General Itinerary

12/9

This will be the day when we start to slow things down. We will still have to be up and ready before 9am to make our breakfast:

9:30 Kona Cafe (Mmmmmmm coffee... Mmmmmmmm... TONGA TOAST!!!)

Anyone who has been to Kona Cafe, can not find enough nice things to say about it. The coffee is the ultimate pick-me-up. The Big Kahuna ( French toast, Pancakes topped with Pineapple sauce and Macadamia Nut Butter, eggs, home fried potatoes, ham, bacon, and sausage ) is a very filling breakfast. And don't even bother trying to ask someone, who ordered the Tonga Toast, if you can try a piece. You will get 1 of 2 reactions. 1, they may snarl at you like a dog and his bone . Or 2, they may come back with something like, "...when you can pry it from my cold dead hands." Once again... Ask anyone who has been there before. They will tell you, I'm not exaggerating.

From there, we will start our resort hopping. If you haven't dedicated a 1/2 day to check out the decorations at the other resorts, you may want to try to squeeze it in. Great photo ops. Amazing decorations. And life-sized gingerbread structures. Last time we stuck with the monorail resorts. This time, I'd like to see if we can check out the campgrounds, and the boardwalk resorts (AKL is too isolated to just check out). After this, it will be a prolonged rest period. Because this night will be our MVMCP night . So it's back to the POR. Rest... Maybe squeeze in a nap or hot tub (or both). Then it's off to the Magic Kingdom.

We'll enter the park at 4:01pm with our MVMCP hard ticket. We'll have time to stop for a couple of photo ops, maybe some shopping, but we'll have to make dinner.

4:45pm Crystal Palace (And, yes...... I do like hanging with Pooh, Tigger and Eyeore.)

After dinner, we'll try to get on a couple of the rides before the Castle lighting ceremony. The stage show is a little hokey, but it is fun. Watching the Disney characters argue about how to decorate Cinderella's Castle is pretty entertaining. The castle lighting itself, is jaw dropping. You literally do not know how long you've been standing there with your mouth open until the 1st person that bumps into you as the crowd disperses. The plus side of that, is that maybe the last time someone bumps into you (unless you are at a Thanksgiving MVMCP or the last MVMCP of the year). There is lots of elbow room at the MVMCP. From this point til the Wishes fireworks display, it's all riding the E-ticket rides with no lines. Hopefully, Haunted Mansion will not break down, again, just when our Doom Buggy is right next to a speaker. Then it's time to make our way back to the castle to see Wishes. After Wishes, the park REALLY clears out. And the length of your time in a queue area depends on how fast you walk through the maze or the ropes. We will take a break from the rides long enough to line the street for the 2nd parade of the night. It is a really cool parade. Then maybe a few more rides. There are 2 more "must-do"s that I haven't mentioned yet. The 1st, make sure you load up on the free cocoa and cookies. The 2nd, make sure you snag all the MVMCP specific merchandise as possible. They fly off the shelves and are not available at any other times besides at MVMCP's.

In closing, I'd like to share a little story with you. Last night, my sister was over. And she has always given me and BDLsgal grief for choosing to go to Disney, instead of going on the random cruises that her, my sister-in-law, my folks, and other family members and friends. To the point where she literally said "Why do you go down in Decemeber? There's nothing to do in December." So, last night, I had BDLsgal show her the itinerary that I had come up with, for our trip. Her response was priceless. The symphony of "Oooohs and Ahhhhhs" was music. Then she got to the part where I printed out the menus of the restaurants we were going to. You'd think she was ordering her last meal from death row the way she was looking at it. Same thing with the cocktails and wine lists. But the cherry on top, was when I got my Kindle Fire (thanks LIL) and showed her youtube's of Osbourne Lights and the Castle lighting. Her response was AWESOME. My sister, who has never been wrong or mistaken in her life said "If you guys are going in 2014, we'll consider going."

BDL is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-28-2012, 03:12 PM   #138
BDL
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valgoof View Post
Joining in from the Roll Call thread. No idea what took me so long!! Love the pics of last year's trip!! We also went last December and loved it so much we are going back this December. Feedback--Day 1 meals seem awfully close together. Maybe a lighter lunch or late breakfast?? Day 2 looks awesome. We rode Star Tours over and over. So fun!! And I agree the Osborne Lights are AMAZING!!!!
Thank you very much. Welcome aboard. I think the meals are kinda close too. But I needed to get Garden Grill as our CP (6:45) ADR and Tutto Italia is fairly light fare.

Besides, Tutto Italia is some good food and Garden Grille is family style. So people can take what they want. Though I do wish Tutto opened at 11 instead of 11:30

Old 07-02-2012, 12:21 PM   #139
BDL
DIS Veteran

General Itinerary

12/10

Phewwwwww......

That was an exhausting first 3 days. So we're going to take it a back a bit. This is our "wake up when you want" morning. Then it is off to Downtown Disney to REALLY start throwing money around. I figure we'll take thw ater taxi there. There are few things in this world that are as relaxing as a slow moving boat ride down the river. Once we get to DTD, I'm sure I'll have to reign in SIL and LIL. There are few that can resist the siren call of opening our wallets and purses once in sight of the stores. I'll have to remind them that the stores run the whole length of the water front, and to pace themselves. But I know 1 place that wild horses wouldn't be able to keep us away... Ghiradelli. Mmmmmmmmmmmmm.... CHOCOLATE!!!!! From there, the Christmas store is a must. After that, I would like to head to the sports store. And, I don't think I'm alone in this, I really wish they'd bring back a wider variety of Disney sports jerseys. Not just a variety in sports jerseys to choose from, but also a variety of character themed teams. But I digress... No trip to DTD would be complete without a trip to the pin store. Just to see the wide selection is incredible. And then you get to see the little kids swap and trade. It's cute. And, by the way, Disney pins make GREAT stocking stuffers.

From DTD, we head to MGM. HOPEFULLY, we can get a fast pass for TSMM (but not holding my breath). But the consolation choices are great in their own right. ToT, RnR, Star Tours and the Movie Ride. There are also great shows too. The Indiana Jones stunt show and the new Legend of Jack Sparrow. But we'll have to keep an eye on our watches.

3pm - Hollywood Brown Derby

The reason this is so important, this is our Fantasmic! meal pkg. No one in our party had seen the show yet. But I keep hearing amazing things about it. Fast forward to 6:30 and we will be in our seats ready for the show to begin. And, to add the cherry to our day, we get to check out the Osbourne Lights before the park closes. Maybe even sneak 1 more ride on ToT or RnR.

Old 07-05-2012, 08:35 AM   #140
TinkLovinMomma
Mouseketeer

Hey There! Stopping by from good ol' NY. I havent read through your entire PTR yet but I got up to about page 3 {editing to add that now I have officially read everything}. I promise to go back and finish. (Side note for Sam33- The Rangers do not have Ice Girls either THANK GOODNESS! They make me cringe hardcore when I go to Rangers/Isles or Rangers/Devils away games ) I am jealous of your plans to stay at POR I want to stop over there and check it out. Looks gorgeous in the pics I have seen. I'm subbing in now cant wait to read more!

Last edited by TinkLovinMomma; 07-05-2012 at 08:59 AM.
TinkLovinMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 07:50 AM   #141
BDL
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkLovinMomma View Post
Hey There! Stopping by from good ol' NY. I havent read through your entire PTR yet but I got up to about page 3 {editing to add that now I have officially read everything}. I promise to go back and finish. (Side note for Sam33- The Rangers do not have Ice Girls either THANK GOODNESS! They make me cringe hardcore when I go to Rangers/Isles or Rangers/Devils away games ) I am jealous of your plans to stay at POR I want to stop over there and check it out. Looks gorgeous in the pics I have seen. I'm subbing in now cant wait to read more!
Thank you for following (BDLsgal hates the Ice Girls too). And I can't recommend enough, to take some time and check out either of the Port Orleans Resorts. Even if you can't get there this trip, make a note to someday just walk the property. Always makes me forget my worries.

And it looks like the Rangers have followed suit with a lot of other teams in the Eastern Conference, by picking up a fighter. Can't wait to see what Asham can do against Thornton, Lucic, Campbell, McQuaid, Ferrence, Chara, Boychuk or Marchand. I give Asham the edge against Krejci.

Old 07-06-2012, 01:03 PM   #142
BDLSGAL
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDL View Post
Thank you for following (BDLsgal hates the Ice Girls too).

Yes, yes I do. I just don't get the point of them being there. I was rewarded once though....one of the girls got stuck in the net when she had to get a puck out during 3 minutes to fame (the youth hockey scrimmage during intermission). It was priceless! Maybe I will get lucky again one day!
Old 07-09-2012, 06:47 PM   #143
oboedm
DIS Veteran

Great plans for your sleep in day! DTD is always relaxing compared to the parks and you can't beat Ghiradelli!
oboedm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 11:30 AM   #144
BDL
DIS Veteran

General Itinerary

12/11-12/13

12/11

This will be our 2nd EPCOT day. And for those of you wondering why I spell EPCOT in all caps, the reason is simple. I have said it before, I will say it again... EPCOT is the Experimental Prototype Community Of Tomorrow. That is the way I grew up with it. That is the way it will always be with me. There is no word in the English language called "Epcot". Ohhh... And if you hadn't noticed, there is no Disney Hollywood Studios either. It's MGM. Sorry... I'll get off my soap box now . Today, we will start off with the Princess Breakfast. Once again, this is something that BDLsgal and I did on our last trip. And we instantly fell in love with the cheesy potatoes. I was a little more adventurous than she was. I tried some of the fish selections (hit & miss) and the different breads. The princess interaction was pretty cool and watching them lead the kids around in a parade was fun. From there, I will run... excuse me... walk, safely and calmly to Soarin' to get some fast passes and catch up to the women folk, in the World Showcase. While there, we'll do the Maelstrom, the Mexican boat ride, watch some story tellers and maybe go pearl diving. After we've redeemed our Soarin' FP's, we'll probably get in line for the character PhotoPass meet n greet. A little time consuming, but you get all the characters at "1 stop shopping". As the day progresses, we'll get to Test Track, Mission: Space, Spaceship Earth (which we didn't get to do last time. Line was too long) and maybe Ellen (I like how she puts her smug college roommate in her place ). There are 2 things on this day that I planned especially for LIL. First, we make the time to be front and center for a set of Joyful!. Joyful! is a Gospel choir that performs at the gateway to the WS ( See here ) . LIL is a very religeous and musical person. Sometimes, she will spontaneously break out in hymns. So I figured she would really like this.

The second LIL event will be dinner at Raglan Road, at DTD. When BDLsgal and I were doing our final planning before our last trip, this place in particular caught her interest. Due to scheduling conflicts, we were un able to go. So this will be a new experience for all 4 of us. I chose a 7pm dinner so that we can enkoy the meal and the lively atmosphere before we pass out... Uhhhh... I mean, head back to POR to get to sleep.

12/12
I'm leaving this as our open date. We can take votes on stuff we want to try again or try things that we couldn't the 1st time around. I'm sure by the time October rolls around, there will be atleast something in place. Maybe we can race, Drinking Around the World ? I'll start in Mexico, BDLsgal, SIL and LIL can start in Canada. I'll drink in every country, they can split up the countires between them and we'll see who finishes first. Hmmmmm... That sounds like it could be fun.

12/13
This is the saddest day of the trip. This is our departure day. This is also the day when the park hopper pass pays for itself. This is when we scramble from park to park to park to park to buy those pieces of merchandise that we were on the fence about when we first saw them, but now can't come back to Boston without. This is what BDLsgal and I did last time, with 1 exception. On the way out, I propsed to her at a Photo Pass stop right in front of the castle.

So it will be nice and nostalgic to see that spot again.

That's our plan in a nut shell. Today is our 150 day mark and I'm sure that 1 or 2 or 87 things might change.

Old 07-10-2012, 01:07 PM   #145
Valgoof
DIS Veteran

Yay for 150 days!!!! Boo for departure days!!! It's funny how sad it is to read about the last day when the trip is still so far away. We saw/heard a little bit of Joyful last year. Sounds like something your LIL would enjoy. My mom and grandma would as well. We also park hop like crazy on the last day, trying to catch one last ride or show or snack at each park.

3 trips as a kid/teen-Offsite Dec 2011-Offsite Dec 2012-Pop Century Feb 2014-OKW
Nov 2014-Coronado Springs and AKV Kidani

Valgoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 01:39 PM   #146
BDLSGAL
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valgoof View Post
Yay for 150 days!!!! Boo for departure days!!! It's funny how sad it is to read about the last day when the trip is still so far away. We saw/heard a little bit of Joyful last year. Sounds like something your LIL would enjoy. My mom and grandma would as well. We also park hop like crazy on the last day, trying to catch one last ride or show or snack at each park.
Thank you for validating it is sad to talk about the last day of the trip when it hasn't happened yet. That was the same reaction I had when it came to reading the last day of our plans and BDL laughed because I was already sad. It may not be rational, but it isn't far fetched to feel that way

As for Joyful, I think my Mom (LIL) will enjoy it greatly (BDL is right on the money when he says she breaks out in hymns sometimes). I think both her and my sister (SIL) will enjoy the entire trip, and it will be nice that we are experiencing some new things ourselves.
Old 07-10-2012, 03:20 PM   #147
oboedm
DIS Veteran

I love the idea of park hopping to all four parks on the last day! I will have to remember that idea!
oboedm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 11:04 AM   #148
BDL
DIS Veteran

Whoooo hoooo... We are now even closer to paying off our trip. Went to Stop & Shop the other day, cashed in my latest batch of scratch ticket winners and got (2) $50 Disney gift cards. We already had another $25 gift card. Put them together, the next time I call in to make a payment, that is our MVMCP tickets .

Just over 20 weeks to go, til we are Ho Ho Ho'ing with the Mouse.

Old 07-24-2012, 09:45 AM   #149
BDL
DIS Veteran

I'll be booking our flights and MVMCP tickets later today. But til then, I thought that I would share a feel good story with all of you. So... I had sent out an email a little while ago that included the link from disunplugged about the updated merchandise seen here .

LIL was the 1st to reply. She said:

"Looked at the merchadise and unfortunately saw too many things I like!!! I will put a LOCK on my wallet :-))) "

Which is a fair statement that I think all of us had made at some point or another. It goes completely out the window once we get down there, but we say it anyways.

The reply from BDLsgal was:

"Make sure you pack an extra bag so you can check one with the merch you buy. Sean did that last time and I thought he was crazy but it was actually cheaper to check an additional bag then to pay an overweight fee."

On our last trip down there, I folded up, very tightly, a hockey bag and put it in the bottom of one of our checked bags. I knew that we'd be coming back with more than we went down with, and like BDLsgal said, a 3rd bag was cheaper than the over-weight fee.

But let's look closer at BDLsgal's reply. When we read between the lines, could she actually be saying that I was right???

I WAS RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT!!!! (flash to the scene in Rudolph when Clarise gives him a kiss and tells him she thinks he's cute)

I know it's petty. But I'll take the win.

Old 07-24-2012, 11:35 AM   #150
BDLSGAL
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDL View Post
I'll be booking our flights and MVMCP tickets later today. But til then, I thought that I would share a feel good story with all of you. So... I had sent out an email a little while ago that included the link from disunplugged about the updated merchandise seen here .

LIL was the 1st to reply. She said:

"Looked at the merchadise and unfortunately saw too many things I like!!! I will put a LOCK on my wallet :-))) "

Which is a fair statement that I think all of us had made at some point or another. It goes completely out the window once we get down there, but we say it anyways.

The reply from BDLsgal was:

"Make sure you pack an extra bag so you can check one with the merch you buy. Sean did that last time and I thought he was crazy but it was actually cheaper to check an additional bag then to pay an overweight fee."

On our last trip down there, I folded up, very tightly, a hockey bag and put it in the bottom of one of our checked bags. I knew that we'd be coming back with more than we went down with, and like BDLsgal said, a 3rd bag was cheaper than the over-weight fee.

But let's look closer at BDLsgal's reply. When we read between the lines, could she actually be saying that I was right???

I WAS RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT!!!! (flash to the scene in Rudolph when Clarise gives him a kiss and tells him she thinks he's cute)

I know it's petty. But I'll take the win.
Yes, it is petty, but I understand you have to take the few wins you get

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: