Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2012, 05:09 AM   #31
John VN
DIS Cast Member
N.Y. Style CHEESECAKE RULES!
Old Paramus Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah_Rose View Post
.....To you biking/tri people.... do I really need a road bike for seriously training for anything more than 15-20 miles? I'm guessing the answer is yes? I have a really great hybrid bike (no fancy pedals, either), but I have so many people flying past me on the bike section of the tri's that I've done. Is that really all difference in the bike, or am I just a really crappy cyclist? .......
A good road or tri bike CAN make a HUGE difference. I'm talking mph and longer enjoyable time spent on the bike. You can modify your hybrid to make it more competition ready but it's still not the same, period. I went from a top of the line 1983 road racing bike to my current mid range road bike but because of the current technology in the frame and components it has added speed and greater enjoyment to my riding.
John VN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 10:36 AM   #32
DrMomof3
DIS Veteran

I'm so impressed with all of you!!!!

I'm training for my next half marathon on April 15th. I did a great 10 miles this morning at 13 min/mile pace. Pretty fast for me and faster than I intended (that's what happens when one forgets to charge the Garmin....). It's amazing after the marathon how 10 miles feels like a "shorter" run. I'm hoping to PR this race in April. My fastest half is in the 2:36 range and I'd love to be below 2:30....

Amanda
Poly 01/2008; SSR 05/2009; CR 12/2009; YC 04/2010; BCV 08/2010; Poly CL 01/2011; BLT 08/2011; Swan 10/2011; GF CL 01/2012; Vero Beach 04/2012; Cabins 06/2012; WBC 08/2012; BCV 09/2012; Poly 1/2013; HGV 02/2013; WL, Kidani, SSR, Boardwalk in 2013; BLT 2014

Half-marathon PTR BCV Trip Report Half Marathon Trip Report Aug 2011 PTR
Aug 2011 TR
Multi-Trip 2012 PTR Running and Europe, 2014-15
Disney Dream
August 2013 PTR Aug 2013 TR
DrMomof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-04-2012, 12:00 PM   #33
johde
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMomof3 View Post
I'm so impressed with all of you!!!!

I'm training for my next half marathon on April 15th. I did a great 10 miles this morning at 13 min/mile pace. Pretty fast for me and faster than I intended (that's what happens when one forgets to charge the Garmin....). It's amazing after the marathon how 10 miles feels like a "shorter" run. I'm hoping to PR this race in April. My fastest half is in the 2:36 range and I'd love to be below 2:30....

Amanda
13 min./mile is maybe a touch fast. According to McMillan based on your 2:36 half 13:04 should be the fast end of your long run. My too fast 7 miler last Friday was a 12:30 average pace doing run 2/walk 1. I'm training toward about a 2:40 half marathon in May my current PR is 2:51:02 from last April. I'm going to try to keep my long runs closer to the 13:30-14:00 pace.

Several Trips off site and at Grandma house going back to 1976
Dec 2002 OKW; Dec 2003 OKW; Sept 2004 BWV&OKW; Dec 2005 OKW Sept 2006 BWV: Sept 2007 BWV & AKV
Dec 2009 AKV & BWV: Sept 2011 VCG and the Disneyland Half Marathon: Jan 2013 OKW and AKV New years at Disney. Jan. 2015 AKV/ Cabana Bay?
johde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 12:23 PM   #34
MelindaRuns
Mouseketeer

Hello everyone! I am new here. Accepting new Walt's Warriors? My name is Melinda, and I am 37 years old, stay at home mother of 6, ages 11--20! My husband is an ER physician and we live in Minnesota. I just started running 19 months ago, and just completed my 7th half marathon, the Inaugural Tinker Bell Half at DL. I have done two other Disney halfs, the 2011 Donald in January, and the 2011 DL Half Marathon in September. I plan on doing the ToT 10 miler and the 2012 Wine and Dine. I am a slow runner (about a 15 min pace) but I am happy to report that I am getting faster. I completely ran the Tink half, first time ever. Three weeks prior, I had a 12 mile training run and ran the first 6.4 miles nonstop, and that was the first time that I had ever officially ran a whole mile at least, without stopping. I feel a certain change happening to my running right now, like its just now starting to all come together! Its super exciting! My next goal is to finish a half in under 3 hours (I PR'd at Tink in 3:19:32). My next half is April 28, then June 16, then August 26 (all three in Minnesota), with a few 5K's thrown in the mix there starting in March, and then the ToT 10 Miler September 29, and then the Wine and Dine Half in November.

Glad to see this group on the DIS!

Melinda
MelindaRuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 01:04 PM   #35
John VN
DIS Cast Member
Old Paramus Boy

Melinda, welcome aboard. Sounds like you have been pretty busy and have a full plate for this year.

Jeremy, you will get that PR in May.

Amanda, great job today and I'm certain that you too will PR as you desire.

Kathy and I had a 5K for Make a Wish today. We decided to chip it and Kathy managed a 14:54 pace with a 46:25.2 time that gave her a 2nd place medal and a PR by 3 minutes.

I managed a 9:05 walking pace with a 28:10.9 finish time and a 3rd place. Missed 2nd by 2.3 seconds. Feeling pretty happy after completing an entire half Ironman Duathlon on Monday and a very fast 58 mile bike ride on Thursday.

Keep up the great training everyone.
Old 02-04-2012, 09:36 PM   #36
3DisneyKids

I'm having an out-of-body experience
I'll have to experiment on DH's computer
I am so lovin' you right now

Hi Warriors!

After a looooong recovery from knee surgery, I am back! I am running the Princess in 3 weeks and SO excited! I am not trained as well as I would like, but I will finish. Slowly! ha! It's ok...nothing is worth getting injured again and being sidelined. It was awful!

3DisneyKids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 06:52 AM   #37
Bookwood
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DisneyKids View Post
Hi Warriors!

After a looooong recovery from knee surgery, I am back! I am running the Princess in 3 weeks and SO excited! I am not trained as well as I would like, but I will finish. Slowly! ha! It's ok...nothing is worth getting injured again and being sidelined. It was awful!
sounds so familiar- I'm getting excited about Princess too. I didn't get out to do my long run this week- Tuesday I thought I was coming down with a cold and the wind outside was cold and since I was feeling icky I stayed in and took Zicam and now am feeling much better. I will get a long run in this week (probably thursday as my long term sub job is over wednesday) so I can get a few more miles in. Today might just be a biking day since I'm not intrested in the Super bowl- except that it's in Indi!

Pam and DH Mike Wondering our way to Hawaii 10/14/2012

Pam and DH Mike (Retiring) through the Canal again 05/2015
Bookwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 07:56 AM   #38
DrMomof3
DIS Veteran

Jeremy - My Garmin died 2.5 miles into my run so I was just using my iPhone to time myself. I was surprised that I went as fast as I did! You've been training so hard that I'm sure you'll get your PR.
Melinda - Welcome!!!! It's fun to see new faces! Congrats on your new PR at the Tink. I wish I could do a Disneyland race...
John - Congrats to you and Kathy!!! You never cease to amaze me.
Erika - Welcome back! Good luck at the Princess.
Pam - My DH is a Giants fanatic so we are all wearing BLUE today! I hope you feel better and can't wait to hear about the Princess.

My knee is a little sore today. Nothing terrible but I think I need to slow down a bit over the next week or 2. It seems like every time I start doing speed work, I get a little injured. This isn't a bad injury but I certainly don't want it to get worse!!!

Amanda
Poly 01/2008; SSR 05/2009; CR 12/2009; YC 04/2010; BCV 08/2010; Poly CL 01/2011; BLT 08/2011; Swan 10/2011; GF CL 01/2012; Vero Beach 04/2012; Cabins 06/2012; WBC 08/2012; BCV 09/2012; Poly 1/2013; HGV 02/2013; WL, Kidani, SSR, Boardwalk in 2013; BLT 2014

Half-marathon PTR BCV Trip Report Half Marathon Trip Report Aug 2011 PTR
Aug 2011 TR
Multi-Trip 2012 PTR Running and Europe, 2014-15
Disney Dream
August 2013 PTR Aug 2013 TR
DrMomof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 08:44 AM   #39
John VN
DIS Cast Member
Old Paramus Boy

Amanda-l am using the Cho-Pat http://www.cho-pat-store.com/chopat-...hoPDulAtn.html straps. It's interesting that I can pedal my bike at 32mph with the guys I ride with and sprint walk in the 7:00/8:00mpm pace area for short distances but have to walk sideways down stairs and have my knees give out when just walking.

As I warmed up for yesterday's 5K there was some pain in my knees but at the start of the race and throughout I felt nothing. They might slow me overall but I love the end results.
Old 02-05-2012, 09:49 AM   #40
MelindaRuns
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! And good luck to everyone running the Princess! I have never done that race, but its on my list! Hard to believe just a week ago at this time I was in the middle of Tink. What a fun race!

I had some knee pain after my last long training run before Tink, and I chalked it up to tight quad/IT band issue. Mostly I just hoped it would go away. At the expo when it was still hurting I bought THE STICK to help massage it out. It works pretty well. Anyone else ever use one of these?
Old 02-05-2012, 10:05 AM   #41
John VN
DIS Cast Member
Old Paramus Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelindaRuns View Post
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! And good luck to everyone running the Princess! I have never done that race, but its on my list! Hard to believe just a week ago at this time I was in the middle of Tink. What a fun race!

I had some knee pain after my last long training run before Tink, and I chalked it up to tight quad/IT band issue. Mostly I just hoped it would go away. At the expo when it was still hurting I bought THE STICK to help massage it out. It works pretty well. Anyone else ever use one of these?
DW, Embroidery Grandma, purchased her STICK some time ago. Uses it all the time after training, racing or whenever. I only use it on occasion but employed it after my left calf over-reacted during the Donald and then again after the Mickey last month.
Old 02-05-2012, 03:36 PM   #42
johde
DIS Veteran

Melinda - Welcome. It does sound like a switch went off here recently with your running. I know I had something similar (although smaller) happen after the Disneyland half in September. What did you think about the course for the Tink half? I know other than the parks and Angles stadium, the Disneyland half's course was a bit anticlimactic. Looking at the course map, the Tinkerbell half look like a more interesting part of town, I was wondering if it came across that way.

John - Great job on the 5K. 9:05 is really booking for walking. Kathy also seems to be improving her speed at walking as well.

Erika - Good to hear your back on the road. Hope your able to finish training for the princess safely.

Amanda - It's probably not a bad idea to take it easy for a week or 2.

Thanks everyone for the words of encouragement. I won't go so far as to say I will get a PR, but as long as the weather cooperates and I get to the starting line healthy, I've got a good shot at smashing my previous PR. But, I also know, heat and racing don't go together very well for me. And it's doesn't even need to be very hot. Much above 65 and start fading. At Disneyland, it was about 75 and even though I wasn't going extremely fast, I still bonked pretty hard in mile 10.

Tomorrow is supposed to be my first run of next week. I'm still trying to decide what I want to do. I'm probably going to continue to take it easy and not run the entire time, but I'm also going to take fewer walk breaks than I did Friday.

Several Trips off site and at Grandma house going back to 1976
Dec 2002 OKW; Dec 2003 OKW; Sept 2004 BWV&OKW; Dec 2005 OKW Sept 2006 BWV: Sept 2007 BWV & AKV
Dec 2009 AKV & BWV: Sept 2011 VCG and the Disneyland Half Marathon: Jan 2013 OKW and AKV New years at Disney. Jan. 2015 AKV/ Cabana Bay?
johde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 10:47 AM   #43
JimB.
DIS Veteran

Happy Monday Warriors!

A cool foggy morning in north Florida.

Spent the weekend with my Lovely, Luscious Bride at WDW the past few days. Not much training as a result. Last thursday a managed a 2200 yard swim followed by a 5 mile run.

Yesterday after returning home I got in a 28 mile bike ride/5 mile run brick workout in.

LOTS of work still to be done.........
GATOR NATION RULES!!!
JimB. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 11:59 AM   #44
John VN
DIS Cast Member
Old Paramus Boy

JimB-keep up the good work and it will all come together.

Jeremy-do what feels right and good luck.

I'm getting more movement in the right shoulder but the bone on bone cracking is still a pain. Will work with Kathy on a swimming stroke that will allow me to swim come warmer weather and I think I'll enter a local Sprint Tri in July.

Today's duathlon training was a 5K walk, 56 mile bike and then 4 mile walk. Making sure to keep my walking pace at 11mpm Going to keep the 5K and 56 mile bike the same and just add to the end every week until the 1/2 Ironman March 25th.

Sorry everybody doesn't have this warm SW Fl. weather but there are plenty of houses to move into if you want to relocate.

Safe training to all.
Old 02-07-2012, 07:17 AM   #45
MelindaRuns
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by John VN View Post
DW, Embroidery Grandma, purchased her STICK some time ago. Uses it all the time after training, racing or whenever. I only use it on occasion but employed it after my left calf over-reacted during the Donald and then again after the Mickey last month.
That thing is amazing! I have never used anything like that, never had a reason to, but this works wonders! THE STICK-check it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johde View Post
Melinda - Welcome. It does sound like a switch went off here recently with your running. I know I had something similar (although smaller) happen after the Disneyland half in September. What did you think about the course for the Tink half? I know other than the parks and Angles stadium, the Disneyland half's course was a bit anticlimactic. Looking at the course map, the Tinkerbell half look like a more interesting part of town, I was wondering if it came across that way.

Thanks everyone for the words of encouragement. I won't go so far as to say I will get a PR, but as long as the weather cooperates and I get to the starting line healthy, I've got a good shot at smashing my previous PR. But, I also know, heat and racing don't go together very well for me. And it's doesn't even need to be very hot. Much above 65 and start fading. At Disneyland, it was about 75 and even though I wasn't going extremely fast, I still bonked pretty hard in mile 10.

Tomorrow is supposed to be my first run of next week. I'm still trying to decide what I want to do. I'm probably going to continue to take it easy and not run the entire time, but I'm also going to take fewer walk breaks than I did Friday.
Congrats on your training! It sounds like you are very mentally there and that, imo, is at least 80% of it. Go get 'em!!

Yes, I thought the Tink half course was slightly better than the DL half course, save going through Angels stadium. I thought that was just spectacular. The Tink course took us through more residential areas, and that was super cool. The DL half course seemed to take us through a rather non-descript almost industrial kind of area of Anaheim. The Tink course just seemed faster to me. Maybe its where I am in my training, but after reading a lot of race recaps I think other people felt this as well. I'd love to do it again next year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John VN View Post
I'm getting more movement in the right shoulder but the bone on bone cracking is still a pain. Will work with Kathy on a swimming stroke that will allow me to swim come warmer weather and I think I'll enter a local Sprint Tri in July.
Today's duathlon training was a 5K walk, 56 mile bike and then 4 mile walk. Making sure to keep my walking pace at 11mpm Going to keep the 5K and 56 mile bike the same and just add to the end every week until the 1/2 Ironman March 25th.
Sorry everybody doesn't have this warm SW Fl. weather but there are plenty of houses to move into if you want to relocate.

Safe training to all.
Wow! That's amazing! I hope you can swim very soon! Good luck on that Tri! I'm not much of a swimmer (at all) but that duathlon sounds super fun! What a training schedule you must have going on! I'm envious of that 56 mile ride. That would be so sweet right now!

Yesterday was my first run after Tink. I feel like I've been slacking (no, maybe that's resting, lol) but I was itching to get back out there for a couple of days now. I did an easy 4 miles, then worked out with my trainer at the gym. That was a super hard workout. I was dripping sweat by the time I was done. She is a world class triathlete and really pushes her clients. After I fully ran the Tink she has upped the intensity of my workouts. I am glad. Mind over matter, baby! During the course of that training session I ran a mile on the treadmill at 1.5 mph over my fastest pace at Tink. That was tough, but no undoable.

Last night I had Spin class where we biked 22 miles in 50 minutes. That was awesome! I always love that class. It started the first of January and is every Mon/Wed. My 17 year old daughter and 14 year old son do that class with me.

Today on tap I have two workouts: this morning, a hike or a video workout, depending on what my friend wants to do (I'm hoping video, as I'm going for a run mid-day). The run will be an hour, whatever I can get in an hour.

I hope everyone has awesome workouts and lots of progress as we get closer to our races/goals!

Melinda

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: