Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2013, 02:22 PM   #391
Sarah_Rose
DIS Veteran

Jeremy: Awesome on the progress - but sad that you had to back out of the race, even if it is definitely for the best!

Pam: Good luck with the Indy Mini! That always sounds like a fun race!

Jim: Enjoy your taper and take it easy on that shoulder! Breathing air is an important part of swimming!

Amanda: WTG on your half!

As for me, I've been running with zombies and never been happier. I started using the Zombies, Run! app for the iPhone and I've been having so much fun with the virtual zombie chases. It's made me look forward to my run in ways that I haven't in years and I actually ended up doing an extra 30 minutes to do an extra mission during my "long run" on Saturday. I highly recommend the app to anyone who is looking for a fun way to switch up their running routine - nothing encourages interval training like being chased by a pack of the undead!

On that theme, I did a 6 mile run in 1:20 on Saturday and felt AWESOME and it made me way too bold. Signed up for a local half marathon for this coming Sunday. Why yes, I did only start running again about a month ago. Why yes, I haven't run 13 miles since DL in September 2011. Why yes, this is going to hurt. But I'm getting my proof of time for WDW, darn it! I just need to finish in under 3:15.... or at least finish upright.

Have a good week, Warriors! It looks like spring has finally come to Toronto!

Inaugural DOPEY CHALLENGE 2014, AoA February 2013, DLR (Christmas trip!) December 2011, DLR (DL Half Marathon) September 2011, AKL Kidani (WDW Half Marathon) 2011, CSR and the GOOFY 2010, WL and the WDW Half Marathon 2009 (2:29), Disneyland Resort Paris 2007, Off-Site 2006, ASMu 2002, Dixie Landings 2000
Sarah_Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 02:57 PM   #392
smileyk8
DIS Veteran

EEEEP sorry guys, my posting has gone a bit off the rails! I needed some time out after Boston, my memories got a bit squished up with the things that were on the news so I just had to put aside some time to separate things out and set stuff straight. Oh the joys of being a Cognitive Behavioural Therapist trainee! Whole thing is horrid, but I know it won't stop any runner and loved the Run for Boston stuff that took over facebook.

Anywho....

Sarah- lovely to see you on here! I've been watching your zombie updates with puzzlement (that's not a word!). I love that you ran an extra 30 mins to do a mission, this is the kind of gaming the kids need! You WILL finish upright, no race is ever straight forward and you always do yourself and us proud

Jeremy sad to hear that you have cancelled the race, but thrilled you're back taking steps. It's hard to do without a race schedule, which makes it all the more impressive.

John Hey i'd love to squish in an extra workout for you- can I borrow some of your time then? he he. Very sad to see your shoulder is so very broken I know that doesn't help, but I'm sorry! I hope the new bike is amazing and you love it! Excellent retail therapy!

Jim you'll have to get a wetsuit with those little floatation aids in. I'm not having a warrior drown! NOT OK! Seriously, I hope your new MRI shows something positive or helpful and just keep yourself safe. Don't worry about other people in the water, there's always someone faster and always someone slower.

Pam Tell me about it, the glass slipper kills me!!!! If you can get to it.... do it! Wahoooo. Almost Indy mini time, hope it goes well. Missing a few runs for Disney time is fine because the pixie dust that you breathe in makes up for them. huh-hmm.

Amanda well done for your PR especially with those heavy thoughts. Let the 10 k training begin!

Me running 3-4 days again now, back out helping a friend to get running so that's always nice. Throw in a swim, badminton game and long walk with hubby and that's my standard week! Feel so much better being active again (also a whole world more hungry!), and have lots of races coming up to try to get a decent time for W&D. Ignoring foot and loving my OnRunning shoes, everything is OK!

Will try to be more active again. I miss photos on here- we need to get back into that. Race pictures are essential! Ha. Have a good day
Boston Marathon 2009 4hrs 22minsPrincess half marathon 2009 1hour 56mins, 57secs Walt Disney World Marathon 2010 4hrs 7minsRoyal parks half 2010 1:52:19WDW Wine and Dine 2013 1:50:16
smileyk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-07-2013, 07:07 AM   #393
Bookwood
DIS Veteran

Good Morning all!,

Indy was crowded! We saw them handing out bibs to the 54,000's and DD#2 had 8,000 (started in corral T) DD#3 and I were in the 32,000 bib numbers and in corral W. It was a mass start although we didn't get to the line until 26 minutes into the race. Weather was great, no leg cramps (evidently instead of carb loading I need to potassium load LOL) but the time wasn't great. Lots of good entertainment along the way and we felt very secure with soldier/police at every cross road along the race. It's an Indy tradition that Firefighters to the race in full turnout gear and some Police Officers do it it full riot gear so we saw them along the course (passes the Firefighters early and hung with the Police Officers from the Race track to the finish.) The Police even did a donut run around mile 11 or so which was entertaining for the rest of us. LOL

The race track wasn't nearly as fun this time since there were no cars/racers/pit workers there yet.

Kate~ I'm glad your back and getting the whole Boston thing worked through.
Sarah-Rose~ I don't use an iphone but will tell the DD's who have them about Zombie running
johde~ I hope you find just the right race at just the right time
Jim and John~ good luck with that Florida 70.3
Dr. Mom~ Congratulations on the PR

What's up for me now? DD#1 and SIL are running in South Bend Indiana the end of May so I decided to volunteer for that race and cheer for them. I'll be getting back to running this weekend and am contemplating doing the Fort 4 Fitness in Ft Wayne. I really want to sign up for the Glass Slipper race at Princess in 2014 (after deciding this year would be my last Princess because it's just too crowded ) I really want to try a double like that since I felt so good Sunday. I think I'm still Goofy dreaming! (although I swore I'd never do another full) Ah, Decisions!

Have a great week!
Old 05-07-2013, 12:24 PM   #394
smileyk8
DIS Veteran

Pam- yay for your race! That sounds massive, definitely not mini!!!! 26 minutes is a long time to get going. Sorry it was so crowded, but you did it!!! Volunteering for your dd and sil is a lovely thing to do, I'm certain they'll appreciate it. Oh decisions- magical princess shiny new medal or goofy (still magical, but then there'll always be dopey!). Hope you get to do one of them! :D
Boston Marathon 2009 4hrs 22minsPrincess half marathon 2009 1hour 56mins, 57secs Walt Disney World Marathon 2010 4hrs 7minsRoyal parks half 2010 1:52:19WDW Wine and Dine 2013 1:50:16
Old 05-07-2013, 09:01 PM   #395
Sarah_Rose
DIS Veteran

Pam - WOW! That is a crowded race! Sounds like a lot of fun, though!

Kate - All I can say is...... THIRTY-NINE POINT THREE!!!!

Well, I survived my half on Sunday. Actually, it went much better than expected, considering that I haven't run more than 6 miles in a year and a half! I got chatting with another woman in the start area, who was also under trained, and also shooting for a 3-ish hour half, and we ended up chatting through the entire race. So much so that we forgot to do the walk intervals until about like mile 8. Whooops! I'm still hurting a bit today, but we finished in 2:46, which is 2 minutes faster than my last "serious" half and 20 minutes faster than DL in 2011! We ended up exchanging contact info after the race and I have a feeling that my new friend is going to talk me into a few more races this summer...

And then I went and overdid it with my "walking around the zoo pushing a 35 lb toddler in a stroller with a 25 lb baby on my back" workout. LOL! Our zoo here in Toronto makes a Disney park look like a short jaunt across a parking lot (it's the largest zoo in land area in the world), so it is quite a workout! I'm not sure my calves were quite ready for that yet!

Inaugural DOPEY CHALLENGE 2014, AoA February 2013, DLR (Christmas trip!) December 2011, DLR (DL Half Marathon) September 2011, AKL Kidani (WDW Half Marathon) 2011, CSR and the GOOFY 2010, WL and the WDW Half Marathon 2009 (2:29), Disneyland Resort Paris 2007, Off-Site 2006, ASMu 2002, Dixie Landings 2000
Old 05-09-2013, 07:05 AM   #396
Bookwood
DIS Veteran

Guess I have to correct the race number over 30,000 finished but they were handing out bibs up to 54,000 so I don't know where the break down was (I was bib numbers 32,036) so don't know what happened. Still really crowded but a nice flat race.
Sarah Rose, I hope you legs are feeling better today.
Old 05-10-2013, 05:30 PM   #397
smileyk8
DIS Veteran

Sarah- whooooo for your race! It's amazing what a bit of chatting and distraction can do for you isn't it! That time really is a massive achievement though true warrior style!

Pam- that's still a lot of people! How are you doing now?

I have my first race of the yr in a couple of weeks then hoping to do one a month to keep me going! Fingers crossed I'll have a decent time by the last one for Wine and Dine he he!!!!! We've just finished booking our ADRs :D (I'm a little excited!!!!!)
Old 05-10-2013, 06:44 PM   #398
Bookwood
DIS Veteran

I'm feeling great now (except for a mentally challenging day at school- subbing for classes that have had a different sub everyday this week, seniors the day before prom and freshman that just don't care about school.)

I felt really good on Sunday which makes me wish the Glass Slipper was doable this year. I really want to try a back to back days race. (Guess I just have to sub as much as possible until schools out to see if I can afford it.)
Old 05-11-2013, 08:43 PM   #399
johde
DIS Veteran

Sarah - That sounds like a fun App. And Congratulation on the half. I sure know I'm not ready for a half.

Kate - Nice to hear you're getting back at it again.

Pam - Yea for the race. and Great of you to volunteer. I've volunteered a couple of time at packet pickup and once on race day. It sure give you a different perspective on a race.

AFM - In the turning lemons to lemonade department. I'm going to use the money from canceling RnR Cleveland along with renting this years DVC points to outfit a new bike. I'm still using my "Walmart Special" but it's just not cutting it. For the past couple of weeks, I've been in Search mode for a good entry level Roadesque hybrid bike for a super Clydesdale. Right now, I think I've narrowed it town to two.

Trek 7.2 FX; $499 from LBS in town (1.5 miles from home)

Fuji Absolute 2.1
: $430 LBS in a neighboring town. I've scene that price in Columbus which I don't travel to often. There's also a LBS in Zanesville where I work that carries Fuji that I'm going to get a price quote from. When I visited his shop he didn't have any in stock.

From the bike riders in the group, does one bike look significantly better than the other. I've found a large number of reviews on the Trek but not so much on the Fuji.

Several Trips off site and at Grandma house going back to 1976
Dec 2002 OKW; Dec 2003 OKW; Sept 2004 BWV&OKW; Dec 2005 OKW Sept 2006 BWV: Sept 2007 BWV & AKV
Dec 2009 AKV & BWV: Sept 2011 VCG and the Disneyland Half Marathon: Jan 2013 OKW and AKV New years at Disney. Jan. 2015 OKW/ Cabana Bay?
johde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:23 AM   #400
JimB.
DIS Veteran

Happy Sunday Warriors........

It's been a bit since I have been here. It's a good news, bad news thing. Good news - wasn't here because last week most of the fam was on a week long cruise on the the Disney Fantasy. Bad news - we had to come back.

Bad news - While we were there the DW & I had a talk and a "patient assessment" and I've decided to take a pass on the Florida 70.3 this year. Things with the underlying superstructure just don't "seem right" right now, and we are concerned that the 6 hours of abuse will do more harm. So I'll go check in, get my $200 shirt and reset the system for later events. Probably look for an Oly distance in late summer or fall if things work out. More bummed about the wasted $$ than anything. But this will get me some time to train PROPERLY and hopefully get healthier. Going to get some new back imaging done on Tuesday and consult the new spinal Doc after and see what the whole story is. Additionally my plantar fasciitis feels like it may be cropping back up. Bleh. But in the end it's all good. Things will work out for the best. And if I can get the extra 10 pounds off of my a$$ it'll be even better!

Good news- got a nice long open water swim at Castaway Cay on Friday. Bad news - I swam about as straight as a plate of wet linguini. Good news - a couple of guys at work are open water swimming addicts, so they are going to help me on my swimming. I'm finding out I "like" open water swimming much more that pool swimming.

It sounds like ya'll are all doing great! Keep up the hard work!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
GATOR NATION RULES!!!
JimB. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:38 AM   #401
John VN
DIS Cast Member
N.Y. Style CHEESECAKE RULES!
Old Paramus Boy

Ladies-Happy Sunday and Mother's Day where applicable. You all seem to be doing plenty, so keep things going while having fun.

Jerremy-Trek gets my . Enjoy, should make a HUGE improvement in your bicycling fun and efficiency.

Jim-Big time bummer. Cool that you have the open water swimmers to guide you. I went into the Gulf this morning with wave action that had me unable to see the poles for sighting and the Garmin tracking sure does show it. After Haines City I will be looking for Olympics to do. Maybe we'll get together for some.

Stay well or get better-ASAP.
John VN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 05:36 PM   #402
wendy1974
DIS Veteran

Hi! Don't mean to crash this thread with a question but I was wondering how often you accept new members on the team? I've run 2 half marathons (Wine and Dine and Princess) and am registered for the TOT 10 miler in October. These boards are a great inspiration so I was just looking to be a part of the community in any way I can.
wendy1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:13 PM   #403
Sarah_Rose
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendy1974 View Post
Hi! Don't mean to crash this thread with a question but I was wondering how often you accept new members on the team? I've run 2 half marathons (Wine and Dine and Princess) and am registered for the TOT 10 miler in October. These boards are a great inspiration so I was just looking to be a part of the community in any way I can.
The teams have become more of a "jump right in!" thing in recent years. They were first set up because WISH had gotten so huge that it was tough to keep track of everybody on the discussion threads. For the first couple years, you would post in a main thread asking to be "allocated" to a team, and one of the Mods would put you in one, to keep numbers relatively equal. The team threads have basically become a bit slow and sparse since they stopped being moderated, and now we crazies are running the asylum. We'd love to have you if you want to chat with us! It's nice to have a little group of people to talk about your accomplishments and get advice and pep talks from!

Old 05-12-2013, 07:25 PM   #404
wendy1974
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah_Rose View Post

The teams have become more of a "jump right in!" thing in recent years. They were first set up because WISH had gotten so huge that it was tough to keep track of everybody on the discussion threads. For the first couple years, you would post in a main thread asking to be "allocated" to a team, and one of the Mods would put you in one, to keep numbers relatively equal. The team threads have basically become a bit slow and sparse since they stopped being moderated, and now we crazies are running the asylum. We'd love to have you if you want to chat with us! It's nice to have a little group of people to talk about your accomplishments and get advice and pep talks from!
Thanks Sarah_Rose! I looked through the treads for a couple of the groups and wasn't really clear how it worked. It really does help to have support when you're training for a race, trying to lose a few pounds etc. And I'll be going solo to Disney for the TOT 10 miler in October so maybe I'll even get lucky and be able to meet up with someone else in the group.
wendy1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:26 PM   #405
johde
DIS Veteran

John - Right now, I'm leaning toward the Trek. At times, I just keep wondering if I'm paying more because of the name.

Wendy - We'd be more than happy to have you join. I think there are still several of the these "team" threads around.

Sarah - I still think there are at least a couple of them that seem a little more active than we are.

On a related note, what's everyone thoughts about thinning the list of members in post one. Disboard can give me a list of people who've posted to the current thread that's been going for almost a year and a half. If people haven't posted in that time, we could assume there at least "Inactive".

Several Trips off site and at Grandma house going back to 1976
Dec 2002 OKW; Dec 2003 OKW; Sept 2004 BWV&OKW; Dec 2005 OKW Sept 2006 BWV: Sept 2007 BWV & AKV
Dec 2009 AKV & BWV: Sept 2011 VCG and the Disneyland Half Marathon: Jan 2013 OKW and AKV New years at Disney. Jan. 2015 OKW/ Cabana Bay?
johde is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: