Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2012, 11:12 AM   #256
johde
DIS Veteran

Hi everyone.

John - Be careful out there on your bike. Good luck on the TOT.

Kate - Sounds like things are going well for you.

Jim - Hope you get the shoe issues figured out.

me- It seems to be a case of 2 steps forward one step back. Monday was bad ended up only doing .5 mile warmup and 1.5 mile very easy run/walk. Today felt much better more stiff than sore in the knee. I did .5 mile warmup 1.5 mile easy (30/45 run/walk), 1.5 mile moderate (45/45 run/walk), a few acceleration gliders and cooldown. 4 miles total. Right now, I'm playing Friday be ear. It's not going to be my last long run, I save that for next weekend, Ideally then I'd like to do some some sort of race rehearsal or speedwork. But I'll take it easy if the body doesn't cooperate.

Several Trips off site and at Grandma house going back to 1976
Dec 2002 OKW; Dec 2003 OKW; Sept 2004 BWV&OKW; Dec 2005 OKW Sept 2006 BWV: Sept 2007 BWV & AKV
Dec 2009 AKV & BWV: Sept 2011 VCG and the Disneyland Half Marathon: Jan 2013 OKW and AKV New years at Disney. Jan. 2015 AKV/ Cabana Bay?
johde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 12:26 PM   #257
John VN
DIS Cast Member
N.Y. Style CHEESECAKE RULES!
Old Paramus Boy

Jeremy-wish I had a magic potion for your ills. Just continue to be mindful of how things feel and proceed accordingly.

I plan on having lots of fun during the race especially when I pull off the course for my M&M McFlurry and munch on it while going through WWoS. If it lasts that long.

Got in a real aggressive 50 mile bike ride yesterday and 2300 yards in the County pool today. 10K tomorrow and I'll be good to go for Saturday night.

Take care and be safe, u-all.
John VN is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-26-2012, 03:56 PM   #258
smileyk8
DIS Veteran

John- I know this shouldn't be the bit that stands out the most, but are you really planning to get a Mcflurry?!?! Genius idea thanks for your thoughts on pacing- seems to be a warrior consensus that we dont like slow runs!

Jeremy- sorry you feel that thinks aren't going to plan. Unfortunately you've hit the nail on the head though, we have to listen and be sensitive to out bodies (otherwise they get really cross!!!). Taking it slow is better than not being able to do anything. Chin up

Jim- how's your hot head doing? Managed to make an air channel in the helmet yet? Glad fall has arrived for you guys. We seem to have skipped autumn and headed straight to winter. Just had 3 straight days of rain that's caused a lot of flooding and damage. We were out of the way of rivers etc luckily! I love your thinking regarding distances being 1/4 of ironman. You can do it.... You've got JOHN too you guys are my inspirational duo (distance wise).

Me- seem to have caught a cold. I blame Jeremy! No it's probably sudden temp changes but it has made me skip 1 run so far this week. Feel relaxed though as Saturday is just a fun run, no official timing etc. No doubt I'll be too busy waving at rhinos and elephants and cheetahs and ...you get the idea!
Boston Marathon 2009 4hrs 22minsPrincess half marathon 2009 1hour 56mins, 57secs Walt Disney World Marathon 2010 4hrs 7minsRoyal parks half 2010 1:52:19WDW Wine and Dine 2013 1:50:16
smileyk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 04:07 PM   #259
johde
DIS Veteran

Kate - Sorry for virtually sending you my cold.

John - My question was are you going to wait in line and buy the McFlurry or find someone to buy it for you. Maybe you could walk through the drive through. I'm not sure I could wait for a McFlurry even in a fun run. Maybe a milk shake.

The one potential bright spot is in training for my current PR things didn't go to plan. In that case it wasn't injury but an early spring race combined with a rough winter.

Dec 2002 OKW; Dec 2003 OKW; Sept 2004 BWV&OKW; Dec 2005 OKW Sept 2006 BWV: Sept 2007 BWV & AKV
Dec 2009 AKV & BWV: Sept 2011 VCG and the Disneyland Half Marathon: Jan 2013 OKW and AKV New years at Disney. Jan. 2015 AKV/ Cabana Bay?
Old 09-26-2012, 05:46 PM   #260
John VN
DIS Cast Member
Old Paramus Boy

Yup, going to stand in line to order the McFlurry. Can't be any worse than Louisville during the Kentucky Derby Half Marathon. The lady in front of me couldn't make up her mind regarding her order and then when the girl went to make my McFlurry she couldn't locate the containers. She spent 3 minutes looking all around for the cups.

My plan, if feeling good, is to start the race at a 9:00mpm to 10:00mpm walking pace up until the detour. After getting the McFlurry I will wing it.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:16 PM   #261
JimB.
DIS Veteran

Howdy Kids!!

'Nuther hot day in Florida. Got out and did 43 bike miles today BTW, that's over a third of a FULL IRONMAN BIKE RIDE. A bit of an aggravating ride with traffic, stoplight and debris on the path issues. Also my frickin' work kept calling me (note: Must put unique ringtone so I know which calls to IGNORE!!! ). Conditioning is severely "meh" right now. I also drink a LOT and have some trouble taking enough liquids with me. I guess I need to actually PLAN some rides so I can dive into a convenience store here or there.

Also, I took my first spill on the new bike today. Totally my fault, but fortunately it was low speed. I actually threw myself underneath the bike so it wouldnt hit the asphalt. I will heal, carbon fiber will not. Just a few left sided bruises and a little bit of road rash.

Good excuse for officially entering ToT taper, huh?

Katie - Negative on the helmet. Put some extra pads of the front, but they didn't hold. I'm either going to have to add some extra styrofoam up front to hold it away or carve some channels in it (which I really won't do, due to the safety factors involved) Too bad about the cold. Get better. BTW, you could be me. Yesterday I was diagnosed with a case of SHINGLES! Ack!! Lots of big pills for the next few days.

John - love the McFlurry idea, but I'd end up wearing most of it. Neat and tidy are 2 words that do no really apply to me.

Johde - Keep at it buddy! remember, if you go 2 steps forward and 1 step back you are still moving forward!

Stay safe all!! I have droned on way to long.....................
GATOR NATION RULES!!!
JimB. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:29 AM   #262
John VN
DIS Cast Member
Old Paramus Boy

Jim-you got the first dump over with and the bike is OK, that's great news. Oh, right, you are ok too....good. A special ring tone is a very good idea.

As some say, the horse is in the barn.

Did my 10K walk this morning and the humidity was back at 85%. YUCK. I was feeling pretty good today and finished with a 10:04 average pace. Tomorrow I think I just might try to get some swim laps in the FW pool.

Safe travels everyone.
Old 09-28-2012, 11:07 AM   #263
johde
DIS Veteran

Good luck everyone in the TOT 10 miler.

Today I got out and did a total of almost 6 miles. So I actually got 3 runs in this week. It wasn't what I was planning on doing. I started out with about a 1/2 mile walk, I tried putting in a couple of short runs and at least the first couple really felt off so I continued with that for another 1/2 mile and things started to loosen up and feel better. So, I started putting some regularity into my run/walk and ended up doing about 1.5 miles at a 30/45 ratio. At that point, I had made it back to my car and a pit stop. Normally I would have gone further down the trail but needed to turn around early. After the short pit stop I was feeling good enough to do a short test of the race day program in my Garmin. I started off with a mile and a half at a 1/1 ratio. I had set my watch to beep at my if I was running faster than a 10:40 pace. I was hoping for about a 13:00 pace and ended up doing about a 13:30 and I was bumping into the max pace alarm so I think I need to set the alarm a little bit faster. Next, I switched to 1:15/:45 for 1.25 miles. The goal here was about a 12:30 and seemed to settle into that average pace nicely. So for the most part a fairly successful day out even if I was what I had planned.

Old 09-28-2012, 07:48 PM   #264
John VN
DIS Cast Member
Old Paramus Boy

Jeremy-good deal. Nice and easy does it by preventing injury and adding base for future speed.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:42 AM   #265
John VN
DIS Cast Member
Old Paramus Boy

Jim-reading your ToT post sounded spot on for weather and results. Just imagine if it was 20+ degrees cooler.

Another race done and the last night time race for me. Fell again but much worse than during the Inaugural W&D. Still hurting this AM but I am puzzled by the fact that my right shoulder has greater pain free, but not cracking free, movement. Reaching up a little improved but reaching across chest I have about 2.5" of greater pain free movement.

Got my McFlurry at the 3.46 mile mark and it was so good. It should last longer when I stop for another during the marathon in January.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:21 AM   #266
JimB.
DIS Veteran

Good Monday Warriors!

Back from the "Inagural" Tot (although I have 3 other medals that look very similar......... :-P).

John - Sorry about your spill. Hopefully you heal without difficulty.

AFM - Had a nice time. The course itself was ok. The conditions sucked. The "distractions" (as I call them) were severely "Meh". But, due to my relative proximity to WDW and owning a house down there, I'll probably do it again. I DO wish it would start at 9 vs. 10, though............. I see no real reason for the extra hour delay in starting.

But some issues did arise....... About mile 6-7 my hips started bothering me and the discomfort was pretty severe by the end. I ran the whole race (with the exception of a couple of shorts stops for technical issues) in the new minimalist shoes. Not sure if that was the cause or not. I've decided to commit to these through the W&D, and if the problems don't resolve, then out the door they gooooo!! I have a pair of CW-X compression shorts I have run in in the past for minor hip issues, so I'm gonna' whip those back out and see if they help. Additionally, my (supposedly extinct) plantar fasciitis reared it's ugly head in my right foot (which is where I had the PF tear a few years ago) again. No. I did NOT tape my foot with KT Tape this race. Which I ALWAYS do (simply forgot to bring the tape with me). Won't be making that mistake again. Ever. I hope.

ETA: Some of the issues may stem from the fact that this was my longest run of the last 4 1/2 months. Never did over 7 all summer due to the usual Florida summer weather.

But the best part of the night was riding ToT w/my DD (who finished her first big race Saturday). Our trip had FOUR full plunges down the elevator shaft. Best. Ride. Ever.! And my DW and I pretended we were young again and dragged our a**** to bed about 4 a.m.. Ahhhhhhhh. Youth and Stamina are SO wasted on the young......................

PS - the after race changing facility sucked.
GATOR NATION RULES!!!

Last edited by JimB.; 10-01-2012 at 09:18 AM.
JimB. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:21 AM   #267
John VN
DIS Cast Member
Old Paramus Boy

Jim-wouldn't be surprised that the 10pm starting time had to be because of the 8pm Osceola road closure. Really bad luck your issues popped up.

A problem I was not expecting was the SLOW start for corral A. I figured I was one of the slowest in the corral being a walker and that is why I was the last individual over the starting mat with only the Autism Speaks Team behind me for a photo-op. First mile was 9:21 but it was up and down since there were so many very slow people walking. Doesn't do the body good walking comfortably, slowing way down and then having to sprint walk in the 7:00mpm pace to get around and into a clear zone.

After blending back in from my McFlurry stop things got better as I was eating and maintaining a 10:30 pace. Finally decide to test my newly acquired jogging stride when a 20-30 year younger woman past me and I paced off of her. She was so smooth and it was great until she pulled off for a picture. Then I caught onto another woman and followed her until my fall.

What a bummer. Pretty lousy completing the race with one eye opened and the other closed much of the time for the remaining 1.5 mile.

Overall my race was good and I'm thinking I could PR the Space Coast Marathon combining my walking/jogging/running.
Old 10-01-2012, 04:40 PM   #268
smileyk8
DIS Veteran

John- I'm gutted that you fell! so sorry you got hurt and had to finish like a pirate with one eye. It seems that you only just survived the TOT 10miler  glad you got you mcflurry and managed a great pace overall. Think you should be super proud!

Jim- to be honest I've never fancied a night race for all the reasons you write about. I remember thinking how little you could see at the start of the marathon, can't imagine a whole race like that. But you obviously have to go now you have a beautiful house there! Big cheer for your wife too!!!

Jeremy- it looks like you're training hard, keep at it and you will see the benefits!

Me- did our local zoo 5k on Saturday and tried to do it as a fastish paced run. Overall pace was 8:10mpm including some slow bridge sections due to slippery conditions so pretty pleased with that. It was lovely running past all of the animals (although they didn't seem quite as thrilled to be woken up!). Not much pain, took few days off, back on it tomorrow
Boston Marathon 2009 4hrs 22minsPrincess half marathon 2009 1hour 56mins, 57secs Walt Disney World Marathon 2010 4hrs 7minsRoyal parks half 2010 1:52:19WDW Wine and Dine 2013 1:50:16
Old 10-01-2012, 05:06 PM   #269
John VN
DIS Cast Member
Old Paramus Boy

Kate- 5K
Old 10-02-2012, 02:52 PM   #270
smileyk8
DIS Veteran

Jim- I meant to say earlier that I can't believe you have shingles! Hear I am whining about a cold (which has gone now!). Hope you're feeling OK

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: