Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2012, 07:26 PM   #151
JimB.
DIS Veteran

Happy Humid Sunday Warriors!!!

KATE --> Nice work on the 10k ! That's about my "super-duper great day when I am running down the side of a building" pace. Hope your recovery stays on a positive track!

AMANDA --> Good luck on your upcoming race! Have fun and enjoy the day !

SARAH --> Congratulations on your new family member! Happy Days!!

AFM - I did my FIRST real run after my 1/2 IM this afternoon, 2 weeks out. It is AMAZING how fast one loses one's conditioning. I did about 5 1/2 miles and my legs felt like lead. Bleh. Time to get back at it!!

Next up for me: The Disneyland 1/2 in September along with my lovely luscious Bride who will be doing her very FIRST 1/2 M!! :D
GATOR NATION RULES!!!
JimB. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 08:59 AM   #152
johde
DIS Veteran

Jim - I know the feeling. For me it seems to come across as "how did I maintain this pace for 13.1 miles".

Friday I ran my 5K. The weather was a hot 84 degrees at the start. I finished is 38:11, a new PR for the race but not a new PR overall. I would have needed much cooler weather for that. I posted a Race report in the thread for this weekend.

Several Trips off site and at Grandma house going back to 1976
Dec 2002 OKW; Dec 2003 OKW; Sept 2004 BWV&OKW; Dec 2005 OKW Sept 2006 BWV: Sept 2007 BWV & AKV
Dec 2009 AKV & BWV: Sept 2011 VCG and the Disneyland Half Marathon: Jan 2013 OKW and AKV New years at Disney. Jan. 2015 AKV/ Cabana Bay?
johde is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-10-2012, 11:32 AM   #153
DrMomof3
DIS Veteran

I ran my 1st 10K yesterday. It was the NYRR Mini 10K - the first women's only road race in the country. It was the 40th anniversary of the race so there was a lot of pomp.
My plan was to start with a run 1/walk 1 ratio and then increase to run 2/walk 1 later in the race if I felt good. I really wanted negative splits. My 1st 5K was 36:47 and the 2nd 5K was 35:35 for a finish time of 1:12:22 (I think I did the math correctly?). My pace was 11:40 min/mile. My previous fastest race pace was 11:57 min/mile but that was a half marathon.
Overall I was happy with the race. I had a good plan going into the race and I stuck with my plan. I think my pace was about as well I could do given my recent illness and the high humidity on race day.
My goal going forward is to work on my training consistency and hope that it leads to faster race speed. On the other hand my schedule for the next several months is NOT conducive to PRs. I'm running the ToT 10 miler and then have a local half marathon the following weekend. Both races take place smack in the middle of Goofy training. So there you go.
I'm hoping to convince my DH to do the Princess with me....

Amanda
Poly 01/2008; SSR 05/2009; CR 12/2009; YC 04/2010; BCV 08/2010; Poly CL 01/2011; BLT 08/2011; Swan 10/2011; GF CL 01/2012; Vero Beach 04/2012; Cabins 06/2012; WBC 08/2012; BCV 09/2012; Poly 1/2013; HGV 02/2013; WL, Kidani, SSR, Boardwalk in 2013; BLT 2014

Half-marathon PTR BCV Trip Report Half Marathon Trip Report Aug 2011 PTR
Aug 2011 TR
Multi-Trip 2012 PTR Running and Europe, 2014-15
Disney Dream
August 2013 PTR Aug 2013 TR
DrMomof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 01:47 PM   #154
John VN
DIS Cast Member
N.Y. Style CHEESECAKE RULES!
Old Paramus Boy

Amanda-Great results! Having a plan, sticking with it and getting positive results really pumps one up.

Jeremy-High temps will always drag one down but setting a race PR was fabulous. Congrats and worry not because the Personal PR will be coming.

JimB-Don't worry, the lead will turn into helium and you'll be light on your feet and faster than ever.
John VN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 05:54 AM   #155
Bookwood
DIS Veteran

Hi Warriors,

I hope everyone is having great runs and training! Last time I posted I was conflicted about my running (whether to keep it up and what and how to train.) I'm now planning (ok hoping to start the training program next week) on a local half in Sept. My last few runs have felt good and I finally found the local running store (which moved since my last pair of shoes) and got a different pair of shoe, which so far I love.

So I hope all your runs feel like mine did yesterday- it's the reason running is so addictive I believe.

Pam and DH Mike Wondering our way to Hawaii 10/14/2012

Pam and DH Mike (Retiring) through the Canal again 05/2015

Last edited by Bookwood; 07-05-2012 at 07:48 AM.
Bookwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 06:49 AM   #156
John VN
DIS Cast Member
Old Paramus Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookwood View Post
Hi Warriors,

I hope everyone is having great runs and training! Last time I posted I was conflicted about my running (whether to keep it up and what and how to train.) I'm now planning (ok hoping to start the training program next week) on a local half in Sept. My last few runs have felt good and I finally found the local running store (which moved since my last pair of shoes) and got a different pair of shoe, which so far I love.

So I hope all your runs feel like mine did yesterday- it's the reason running is do addictive I believe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookwood View Post
Congratulations Sarah, Kate and Jim,

I've missed checking in here and been a bit conflicted about where my running is going. Dr. said after last knee surgery there was more damage than originally expected and I shouldn't run long any more. I'm having trouble not having a race to train for. (seems silly to train for a 5K since my "training runs" are usually between 3 and 4 miles.) I'd like to do the Princess again but don't have a race buddy right now and won't spend the money to go to WDW alone for the race. Local races are also lonely as I don't have a "running club" I'm part of or anything local. There are a few of the people from my cross fit class who do some local things but nothing over 5k.

Good news is I've lost about 35 lbs since my surgery (some of which I gained between injury and surgery because it took so long to decide what the issue was) but now weigh less than I have in recent memory (20 yrs or so anyway).

Thanks for letting my vent!
Pam-glad to read that you are back on the road. Take things slow and feel/listen to your body as you train.
Old 06-22-2012, 08:30 AM   #157
johde
DIS Veteran

Hi everyone. I hadn't noticed it's been almost 2 weeks since I posted.

Amanda - Nice job on the 5K. I wouldn't be surprised if you set another PR once you finish getting over your illness and the weather cools down. You might be able to set up your plan to allow you to race your local half for a PR and not affect Goofy training too much. Especially if you do the TOT 10 miler as a fun run.

John - Thanks for the encouragement.

Pam - Good to hear you're back at it.

AFM - Trainings been OK other than dealing with the heat. I signed up for the half marathon in the Columbus Half Marathon in October. Officially Training starts next week. I'm planning on baseing my trainng on one of Galloway plans in his Half Marathon book.

Several Trips off site and at Grandma house going back to 1976
Dec 2002 OKW; Dec 2003 OKW; Sept 2004 BWV&OKW; Dec 2005 OKW Sept 2006 BWV: Sept 2007 BWV & AKV
Dec 2009 AKV & BWV: Sept 2011 VCG and the Disneyland Half Marathon: Jan 2013 OKW and AKV New years at Disney. Jan. 2015 AKV/ Cabana Bay?
johde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 07:54 PM   #158
JimB.
DIS Veteran

Happy TGIF Warriors!!

'Course that doesn't really help ME because I go on shift tomorrow morning. Bleh. Not thrilled with work lately due to issues not be discussed here, but still keeping my guys safe and serving the scornful and ungrateful public. Yay!!

Hope everyone's training is going well.

Jeremy -- Great job on the 5k!! :D Hot weather DOES make things difficult, and Mr. Galloway says to expect 2-3 minutes slower pace in the heat. Keep at it!

Pam -- Glad to see you are back on the road!! I feel your frustration about the "solo" training and racing. I'm pretty much in the same boat. The local running group is across the river from me, the local biking group is about 842 times faster than me, my close friends are all lazy. Meh. It shows a lot of mental toughness to get out on our own. Just keep telling yourself that lesser people would not be out there able to do what you do!!

AFM - Trying to get back in the groove. I am back on the road on my bike. Switched to a higher gear to try and build up speed. I'm trying to add 2-3 mph to my average. Just gotta' pump harder and for longer distances. Running some (8miles yesterday, using a run4/walk1 interval). I'm trying to work on "Happy Running". By that I mean keeping a happy attitude more while on the road. In all of my racing pictures I look like a condemned man walking the last mile. So I'm just trying to be and look happier while running and seeing if that contributes to a better pace and workout. Time will tell.............

My back has flared up a lot recently. Made contact with and had my first appointment with a local acupuncturist today. Very nice, professional and comfortable. Felt much better afterwards too. She wants me to cut back on the running some (a lot), but if I do that there is no point to getting stabbed with a bunch of needles.......... So we'll see if "Stubborn Jim" will take her advice or just say "Damn the torpedoes............" I'll probably try to find a happy medium. Either shorter runs or long runs, but less frequently......

Aaaaaaaaanyway. I go on way too long. Great days to all!!
GATOR NATION RULES!!!
Old 06-25-2012, 07:40 PM   #159
JimB.
DIS Veteran

Ya know something??

It's damned hard to get your cardio training when stuck in the middle of a tropical storm...........................again!!!!
GATOR NATION RULES!!!
Old 06-25-2012, 08:55 PM   #160
John VN
DIS Cast Member
Old Paramus Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimB. View Post
Ya know something??

It's damned hard to get your cardio training when stuck in the middle of a tropical storm...........................again!!!!
JimB--sorry about the door slamming shut on your cardio. The beaches are disappearing and houses flooding over here south of Sarasota. Still not going to let a little T.S. stop me.

Got out Saturday before and during the rains for 20 miles of walking/jogging/running. Made it to the county pool just before big rains came yesterday for 1500 yards of swimming. Rested today and hopefully back out tomorrow.

Kathy has a 5K Saturday and I'm looking forward to 80 miles on the bike.

Let's think positive for Debby to pick up speed and head out.
Old 06-26-2012, 03:02 PM   #161
Bookwood
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Ya know something??

I know!! I drove over the weekend to Bonita Springs with my Dad (my brother drove north with him to bring my moms ashes back to Indiana for burial) and as soon as we hit Florida it started raining. It's been raining pretty much since then. I got dressed this morning to run in the wind and before I got my shoes tied it was pouring again! Maybe tomorrow morning.

Old 06-28-2012, 08:21 PM   #162
JimB.
DIS Veteran

32 HOT miles on the bike today. Rain's gone. Clouds gone. Still a bit breezy, but it's gonna' be breezy on Tri day. Working on a higher gear. Tough work!!!
Legs tired!!

Maybe record highs this weekend. Hmmmmmmm............ Think it might be a good time to get back in the pool!! :-p

Hope ya'll are well! Keep up the great work!!
GATOR NATION RULES!!!
Old 06-28-2012, 09:12 PM   #163
John VN
DIS Cast Member
Old Paramus Boy

Quote:
32 HOT miles on the bike today. Rain's gone. Clouds gone. Still a bit breezy, but it's gonna' be breezy on Tri day. Working on a higher gear. Tough work!!!
Legs tired!!

Maybe record highs this weekend. Hmmmmmmm............ Think it might be a good time to get back in the pool!! :-p

Hope ya'll are well! Keep up the great work!!
Great going with the 32. Be careful with those big gears, they love to chew up knees.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:50 AM   #164
Bookwood
DIS Veteran

Welcome into July Warriors,

How's it going in the heat? I'm heading indoors! Our Y has a 11 lap per mile track I use in hot and cold weather so the track has been my friend. I did a blood donation Tuesday so I don't know how it'll go today but well get my miles in and hope for the best.

Have a great day and I hope the weather cools soon!

Old 07-05-2012, 06:40 PM   #165
DrMomof3
DIS Veteran

Hi Warriors!
I just got back from a combined trip - Disney Cruise and WDW. It was great but traveling with 3 kids is exhausting. I'm super proud that I got all of my training runs done while on vacation. I usually skip training on vacation so this is a big step for me.
In other news I finally took the plunge and signed up for Jeff Galloway e-coaching. I really felt like I needed some accountability and some coaching. So far it's been good. He has me doing my long runs at a much slower pace which is hard for me (not that I'm fast to begin with...). I do feel great after the runs so that's good. I don't know how it'll work when my distances increase a lot because it's so much more time-consuming.
During the week I do cadence drills, half mile repeats, and hills. I skipped hills today because it was 91F during my run.
Stay cool!

Amanda
Poly 01/2008; SSR 05/2009; CR 12/2009; YC 04/2010; BCV 08/2010; Poly CL 01/2011; BLT 08/2011; Swan 10/2011; GF CL 01/2012; Vero Beach 04/2012; Cabins 06/2012; WBC 08/2012; BCV 09/2012; Poly 1/2013; HGV 02/2013; WL, Kidani, SSR, Boardwalk in 2013; BLT 2014

Half-marathon PTR BCV Trip Report Half Marathon Trip Report Aug 2011 PTR
Aug 2011 TR
Multi-Trip 2012 PTR Running and Europe, 2014-15
Disney Dream
August 2013 PTR Aug 2013 TR
DrMomof3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: