Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 12:11 PM   #2491
DisneyCowgirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avery&Todd View Post
I hate to crash this fabulous thread, but I need some help in this department!!

I would LOVE to be able to plan my dinners out a week ahead of time, and Im usually a very organized person (you should see my Disney spreadsheets!!) but Im lacking when it comes to planning dinners!!

I work full time, and my boys are 13 1/2 and 11 and we have baseball games like 2-3 times a weeknight (and practice too, but they're usually over by 5:30/6pm).

DH works too, and he's a fabulous cook but rarely gets home before me..

so if I want to start planning our dinners, HOW do I get started?? Do we just sit down and make a list of all of our favorite dinners and then just plug them into a calendar?? Since I never pre-plan dinners, we have a TON of food in the pantry and freezers...that way, whatever someone suggests, I usually have the ingredients!!

Im ready to learn!!
Just started myself less than a year ago. Here's what I did:

Made one long list of all the entrees I make. I typed this on one sheet of my Excel workbook.

I made a spreadsheet (it looks a lot like my Disney trip sheets!) with a column for each day of the week. Then there are these rows: Entree, Sides, Comments, Groceries needed.

As I've been going, a lot of my recipes are now on tabs in this same Excel workbook.

The comments row is where I note things like when we're going to be out later than normal, if DH is out of town, etc. That way I remember to plan a meal that works with our schedule.

Then I also keep on hand frozen tilapia and frozen shrimp for when the plan falls apart--both of those can be pulled out of the freezer and dinner's on the table less than half-an-hour later.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:15 PM   #2492
OceanAnnie
I guess I have a thing against maroon food
If they are well behaved I'm okay

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsis1970 View Post

Thanks to you as well.. I'll post both meals here.. if you have facebook my username is the same as here and I post lots of pictures of my meals there.. just let me know so I can friend you..
Thank you for the offer! Can't take you up on it cause I'm not on facebook. I'm on the net too much as it is.

----------------------

Tonight we had rotisserie chicken, steamed yellow squash (w/ onions, "I can't believe it's not butter", & bacon) and coleslaw that I put together at home. It was good.

"We do not see things as they are, we see them as we are." -- Anais Nin

"Some lived careful lives and some lived careless lives, and everything that happened could be explained by the differences between them." -- Anne Tyler

"When you are a hammer, everything is a nail." --- Unknown

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-20-2013, 11:08 PM   #2493
tinkmom2
DIS Veteran

I made the Banana Split Cake: http://tinkmomfoodie-foodobsession.b...plit-cake.html

Private Meeting with Donald and Friends DCL http://youtu.be/UISHRa8lScM
BBB The Reveal http://youtu.be/AOjMTF9YBtk
Old 03-21-2013, 09:39 AM   #2494
OceanAnnie

Darn, darn, darn. I was multi-tasking last night and forgot to put the chicken in the fridge after we ate! Ugh. I had it wrapped and ready to go and got called away. Darn! First thing I saw when I went into the kitchen this morning was the chicken on the counter. Goodbye chicken.

Don't know what we're going to have tonight.

"Some lived careful lives and some lived careless lives, and everything that happened could be explained by the differences between them." -- Anne Tyler

Old 03-21-2013, 09:43 AM   #2495
girli565
A Miami kind of girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanAnnie View Post
Darn, darn, darn. I was multi-tasking last night and forgot to put the chicken in the fridge after we ate! Ugh. I had it wrapped and ready to go and got called away. Darn! First thing I saw when I went into the kitchen this morning was the chicken on the counter. Goodbye chicken.

Don't know what we're going to have tonight.
I hate when I do that!! I left a pot of cooked rice out the other night, totally forgot about it. pregnancy brain has been killing my short term memory lately.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:51 AM   #2496
OceanAnnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by girli565 View Post
I hate when I do that!! I left a pot of cooked rice out the other night, totally forgot about it. pregnancy brain has been killing my short term memory lately.
It's a bummer alright! At least you have a great excuse!

I have to laugh about it. Last night was one of those super busy times. Reminds me to slow down!

Old 03-21-2013, 11:03 AM   #2497
girli565
A Miami kind of girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanAnnie View Post
It's a bummer alright! At least you have a great excuse!

I have to laugh about it. Last night was one of those super busy times. Reminds me to slow down!
Great excuse but very frustrating. Lol. Hopefully you'll find something for dinner
Old 03-21-2013, 11:11 AM   #2498
OceanAnnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by girli565 View Post
Great excuse but very frustrating. Lol. Hopefully you'll find something for dinner
I remember well!

Thanks. I have Nathan's hot dogs as a back up (some left over coleslaw, and squash) + chips. It would make the kids super happy. I think I'll go with it!

ETA: We ended up with chili dogs. Chili made w/ ground turkey. It was really good for a change!

Last edited by OceanAnnie; 03-22-2013 at 06:04 AM.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:23 AM   #2499
Mom_Rides
DIS Veteran

I am so over cold weather and sick season! I've been in bed since Sunday with strep throat. Man, I don't wish that junk on my worst enemy! I have been so suck this winter and Im just over it!! Just starting to feel human today so I took DD to school and hit the grocery store to pick up a couple of things.

Tonight we are having beef tips in the crockpot with mushroom gravy over noodles with applesauce.

Going to attempt to go back to work tomorrow so we are just going to do tacos and cheesy nachos with salsa.

Saturday we having a joint birthday party for my DSSs and our nephew at my SIL house. Thankfully I have the best SIL and she bought all the food and is making everything, I just have to split the cost with her. Thank heavens for small favors! The party is in the early afternoon so I may just pick up a big sub and a bag of chips for dinnertime.

Our first trip! June 5-11, 2010 @ POR
A short trip just for our Princess! April 17-19, 2012 @ POP
Old 03-22-2013, 12:25 AM   #2500
Bribrittmom
DIS Veteran

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Tonight we had brats,baked beans,chips, and cut up veggies.An indoors picnic to remind us that even with the cold weather spring will soon be here,Hopefully!
Old 03-22-2013, 08:31 AM   #2501
queenofthehive
DIS Veteran

Menu Plan Week of March 23rd

Saturday - Hamburgers (on grill if weather cooperates)and baked french fries
Sunday - Black bean chili over rice
Monday - Baja fish tacos, corn, and coleslaw
Tuesday - Frittata with spinach and chorizo sausage
Wednesday - Chicken fried steak with gravy, rice, and green beans.
Thursday - Pizza
Friday - Grilled london broil and pasta primavera
Old 03-22-2013, 08:44 AM   #2502
girli565
A Miami kind of girl

Last night we had quesadillas with taco meat and cheese inside (I had made taco meat earlier in the week and needed to use up the leftovers), yellow rice on the side, guacamole and sour cream. They were really good, so good I may have another one for lunch today, lol.

Tonight we are having turkey chili and cornbread with grated cheese, light sour cream, and green onions on top. My family LOVES this recipe. They prefer it over my normal chili recipe that I've been making for 10+ years.
Old 03-22-2013, 03:07 PM   #2503
stayhomemom77
Dieting my way to Disney!!

[QUOTE=OceanAnnie;47853989]I'd love for you to post some of those websites!

Here is the one that I got all the mix recipes from:

http://mixitupcookbook.blogspot.ca

I can't remember the site for the homemade macaroni (it's something about chickens or the farm...) LOL but you can just google copycat hamburger helper and tons of websites come up.

HTH!!

Last edited by stayhomemom77; 03-22-2013 at 03:15 PM.
Old 03-22-2013, 03:37 PM   #2504
stayhomemom77
Dieting my way to Disney!!

I had some greek yogurt to use up and I was too lazy to make the parmesean chicken strips from scratch so I found a recipe for Tandoori chicken in the crockpot and I made that instead. We're going to have that inside a naan wrap with a garden salad and I'm really hoping that it proves as tasty as it smells.

Tomorrow night is going to be a spaghetti bolognese and with the leftover sauce I'll likely make a pasta casserole for Sunday night. I think I'll make garlic bread as well and we'll have salad or (if it's all gone) some frozen mixed veggies.
Old 03-22-2013, 05:04 PM   #2505
OceanAnnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by stayhomemom77 View Post

Here is the one that I got all the mix recipes from:

http://mixitupcookbook.blogspot.ca

I can't remember the site for the homemade macaroni (it's something about chickens or the farm...) LOL but you can just google copycat hamburger helper and tons of websites come up.

HTH!!
Thank you!!!

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: