Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 12:08 PM   #2476
charming23
DIS Veteran

LilyWDW, hope you and your mom heal up fast.

Tonight is spaghetti with homemade turkey meatballs.
Old 03-18-2013, 12:27 PM   #2477
OceanAnnie
I guess I have a thing against maroon food
If they are well behaved I'm okay

LilyWDW, you have a great attitude about it! Sorry to hear of the injury and sickness. Hope you guys have a speedy recovery!

I don't know what's for dinner tonight. I have some ground turkey, onions, green and red pepper. I may season the meat well and make a meatloaf with some baked potatoes and greens. Yeah. I think that's a plan.

"We do not see things as they are, we see them as we are." -- Anais Nin

"Some lived careful lives and some lived careless lives, and everything that happened could be explained by the differences between them." -- Anne Tyler

"When you are a hammer, everything is a nail." --- Unknown

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-18-2013, 12:37 PM   #2478
girli565
A Miami kind of girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanAnnie View Post
LilyWDW, you have a great attitude about it! Sorry to hear of the injury and sickness. Hope you guys have a speedy recovery!

I don't know what's for dinner tonight. I have some ground turkey, onions, green and red pepper. I may season the meat well and make a meatloaf with some baked potatoes and greens. Yeah. I think that's a plan.
Or you could add a can of beans, a can of diced tomatoes, chili powder and cayenne and make chili! Serve it with white rice or cornbread (I make the jiffy one, shhhh don't tell my husband, lol!)
Old 03-18-2013, 01:23 PM   #2479
Avery&Todd
DIS Veteran

I hate to crash this fabulous thread, but I need some help in this department!!

I would LOVE to be able to plan my dinners out a week ahead of time, and Im usually a very organized person (you should see my Disney spreadsheets!!) but Im lacking when it comes to planning dinners!!

I work full time, and my boys are 13 1/2 and 11 and we have baseball games like 2-3 times a weeknight (and practice too, but they're usually over by 5:30/6pm).

DH works too, and he's a fabulous cook but rarely gets home before me..

so if I want to start planning our dinners, HOW do I get started?? Do we just sit down and make a list of all of our favorite dinners and then just plug them into a calendar?? Since I never pre-plan dinners, we have a TON of food in the pantry and freezers...that way, whatever someone suggests, I usually have the ingredients!!

Im ready to learn!!

June 2015- BWI is booked!! June 2012 - BC June 2010 - WL June 2009 - WL
Old 03-18-2013, 01:40 PM   #2480
oopsiDAISY
DIS Veteran

Just DH and I for dinner this week. The kids are at the beach with grandparents.

Tonight:
Cheesesteak Sandwiches
Chips and Dip

Tuesday:
Corned Beef and Cabbage (haven't had our traditional St. Patty's meal yet since we had dinner with in-law's yesterday)
Fried Potatoes with Peppers and Onions

Wednesday:
Salsa Chicken
Rice
Cheese Quesadillas

Thursday:
Out to Dinner with Friends

Friday: Kids come back home...
Manwich
Fries
Old 03-18-2013, 02:14 PM   #2481
Emteach
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avery&Todd View Post

I would LOVE to be able to plan my dinners out a week ahead of time, and Im usually a very organized person (you should see my Disney spreadsheets!!) but Im lacking when it comes to planning dinners!!

I work full time, and my boys are 13 1/2 and 11 and we have baseball games like 2-3 times a weeknight (and practice too, but they're usually over by 5:30/6pm).

so if I want to start planning our dinners, HOW do I get started?? Do we just sit down and make a list of all of our favorite dinners and then just plug them into a calendar?? Since I never pre-plan dinners, we have a TON of food in the pantry and freezers...that way, whatever someone suggests, I usually have the ingredients!!

Im ready to learn!!
I know what you mean. My advice would be to make things in doubles. For example if you are making a casserole double the recipe so you can pop one in the freezer for a busy night and then you can just pop in the over and reheat. For me I love to cook but I had to learn not to be overly ambitious, otherwise I would end up buying the ingredients and not having the time to make them. I plan a week at a time (sometimes less). I think having it written down, with the ingredient list, helps me stay organized. Also, have family members help. We are a household of five so we take turns cooking supper (I do this to help my mum out a bit), my sister also has started making easier suppers and my dad is an allstar at boiling pasta (he is not a chef lol). Hope those help a little.

WDW Polynesian (August 2012)
WDW All Star Movies (August 2006)
WDW Caribbean Beach Resort (December 1996)
WDW Off-Property (December 1992)

DDP Review
Party of 5: August 2012 Dining Review with the Queen of Chicken Nuggets (With Pics)
[URL="http://http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2998041&highlight=picky+eaters"]

Disney World - August 2012 - Trip Report
Picky Eaters, Sore Feet, Hurricanes...After 6 Yrs Nothing will get in our way!
Old 03-18-2013, 03:13 PM   #2482
OceanAnnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by girli565 View Post
Or you could add a can of beans, a can of diced tomatoes, chili powder and cayenne and make chili! Serve it with white rice or cornbread (I make the jiffy one, shhhh don't tell my husband, lol!)
Oh don't tempt me! We had chili recently. We love it! We even had the cornbread (Jiffy!) too.

I have to tell you a secret ingredient I add to the jiffy mix. I put a couple of tbsps of (light) sour cream into the mix. I don't really measure it. I just put a few heaping spoonfuls into it. It gives it a lighter, softer texture. Do you add anything? I'm all for tips!

"Some lived careful lives and some lived careless lives, and everything that happened could be explained by the differences between them." -- Anne Tyler

Old 03-19-2013, 11:49 AM   #2483
queenofthehive
DIS Veteran

Avery&Todd - Welcome!! I work full time as well with some busy evenings so I know exactly what your are going through - been there myself... To get started first plan a weeks worth of meals down on paper and post it on the fridge. Take in consideration the nights that you will need quick meals. Go thru your pantry, freezer, fridge etc to see what you have and what you need from the store. Make your shopping list. It is that easy. Some nights it might not work out as planned and you might just end up eating soup and sandwiches/leftovers but the key is you have a plan. Just push that planned meal to another day or next week. A tip for meals on busy nights - precook chicken / ground beef and bag it up to put in the freezer. Take these out on busy nights to help with a quick dinner night. Also, make use of your slow cooker. Menu planning -like with anything - the more you do it, the easier it is....
Old 03-19-2013, 11:54 AM   #2484
girli565
A Miami kind of girl

Quote:

Im ready to learn!!
I take inventory of my pantry, freezer, and fridge. Once I know what's in it I can plan my meals. And I also can plan what I need to buy at the grocery store. Once we use something and it needs to be replaced we add it to the "to buy" list stuck on the fridge.

Once I know what we have I plan my menu for the week. And I make enough so that we can have a small amount of leftovers for lunch the next day or for a weekend clean out the fridge meal with a variety of foods, lol, my mom calls it the Sunday buffet.

Quote:
Oh don't tempt me! We had chili recently. We love it! We even had the cornbread (Jiffy!) too.

I have to tell you a secret ingredient I add to the jiffy mix. I put a couple of tbsps of (light) sour cream into the mix. I don't really measure it. I just put a few heaping spoonfuls into it. It gives it a lighter, softer texture. Do you add anything? I'm all for tips!
Ooh, that sounds yummy, I hate how dense they come out sometimes. I usually add in a heaping spoonful of brown sugar and a tablespoon of honey. my family likes them sweet. And I make honey butter (mix softened butter with a few tablespoons of honey and salt to taste) to serve with them. my family would protest if I didn't make the butter.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:40 PM   #2485
OceanAnnie

Quote:

Im ready to learn!!
I do a lot of what pp have stated. I *try* to get two different meals out of one big dish when I can. Like when we have tacos I make extra taco meat. Another night I'll take the extra, add drained & rinsed kidney beans, place the mixture down the middle of a tortilla wrap it, put a slice of cheese over it, nuke it for about a minute and there's a burrito.

When I get a rotisserie chicken, we'll have it as it with some sides one night, another night I'll take the leftovers and make chicken enchiladas, or a chicken pot pie. Something like that. That's how I plan going into the week. A couple of nights are taken care of by one main dish.

Then we like to do some sort of variation of breakfast for dinner (eggs, or waffles, or French Toast) w/ a variety of sides.

The rest of the time I have a loose plan, have stuff on hand & wing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by girli565 View Post
I take inventory of my pantry, freezer, and fridge. Once I know what's in it I can plan my meals. And I also can plan what I need to buy at the grocery store. Once we use something and it needs to be replaced we add it to the "to buy" list stuck on the fridge.

Once I know what we have I plan my menu for the week. And I make enough so that we can have a small amount of leftovers for lunch the next day or for a weekend clean out the fridge meal with a variety of foods, lol, my mom calls it the Sunday buffet.

Ooh, that sounds yummy, I hate how dense they come out sometimes. I usually add in a heaping spoonful of brown sugar and a tablespoon of honey. my family likes them sweet. And I make honey butter (mix softened butter with a few tablespoons of honey and salt to taste) to serve with them. my family would protest if I didn't make the butter.
Thanks! I'll have to try those tips out!

Old 03-19-2013, 08:47 PM   #2486
stayhomemom77
Dieting my way to Disney!!

Monday: Homemade cheese pizza, green and yellow beans
Tonight:steak and noodles with broccoli and cauliflower
Wed: Homemade cheesy macaroni (hamburger helper copycat recipe), rolls, salad
Thurs: Soft tacos, nachos and cheese, salad bar of fixin's
Fri: parmesean chicken strips and fries, not sure of veg
Sat: pasta casserole, salad
Sun: leftovers

I found all kinds of recipes online for how to make sauces and mixes from scratch. I hate buying stuff full of additives and preservatives so I'm starting to work all these babies into our repertoire. The hamburger helper recipe will be my first try as well as some salad dressings. Not sure I'll make my own mayo but I may attempt homemade ketchup and pizza sauce.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:09 PM   #2487
buckirj1
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Im ready to learn!!
It's not always easy to get started, but it flows much better once you get going. Don't try to do everything at once. To start, just plan a few simple meals and stick to the plan. Add onto that as you get more comfortable. The website home-ec101.com has a primer on menu planning you might find helpful. Nope, I'm not affiliated with the website, but it has a lot of sensible information on good old-fashioned homemaking. Good luck!
Old 03-20-2013, 08:16 AM   #2488
OceanAnnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by stayhomemom77 View Post
Monday: Homemade cheese pizza, green and yellow beans
Tonight:steak and noodles with broccoli and cauliflower
Wed: Homemade cheesy macaroni (hamburger helper copycat recipe), rolls, salad
Thurs: Soft tacos, nachos and cheese, salad bar of fixin's
Fri: parmesean chicken strips and fries, not sure of veg
Sat: pasta casserole, salad
Sun: leftovers

I found all kinds of recipes online for how to make sauces and mixes from scratch. I hate buying stuff full of additives and preservatives so I'm starting to work all these babies into our repertoire. The hamburger helper recipe will be my first try as well as some salad dressings. Not sure I'll make my own mayo but I may attempt homemade ketchup and pizza sauce.
I'd love for you to post some of those websites!

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckirj1 View Post
It's not always easy to get started, but it flows much better once you get going. Don't try to do everything at once. To start, just plan a few simple meals and stick to the plan. Add onto that as you get more comfortable. The website home-ec101.com has a primer on menu planning you might find helpful. Nope, I'm not affiliated with the website, but it has a lot of sensible information on good old-fashioned homemaking. Good luck!
I'm glad you posted that site! I will read it later.

Old 03-20-2013, 11:22 AM   #2489
bigsis1970
Eating and Drinking our way around the Food & Wine Festival Sept 26 - Oct 4 2014. Loves being Hunny to the Hubs. On the way to losing 1/3 of myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenofthehive View Post
bigsis1970 - congrats on your weight loss!!
Thanks very much!

Quote:
I'll second that! Good job!

I'll be paying close attention to your Adkins meals! I need some ideas!
Thanks to you as well.. I'll post both meals here.. if you have facebook my username is the same as here and I post lots of pictures of my meals there.. just let me know so I can friend you..

Quote:

Im ready to learn!!
Welcome - getting started can seem overwhelming but I did see some great suggestions like take it one week at a time, take inventory of what you have to make that weeks menu's, and to work around the busy nights..
my week goes from Sun - Sun and I write in my son's activities and if my DD will be home from college then I look in my cupboards/fridge/freezer to see what we have left from the prior week and make the menu - sometimes I ask for input like have my DD pick 2 nights my DS pick 2 night and my Hubs pick 2 nights .. Once you get a few weeks done you can choose to rotate them .. I once had 5 weeks worth that I did that with..

Our family: Me - Michelle & DH - The Hubs DD -Princess B DS - Buddy Welcome home Hunny 11/26/13

8D/9D for the Food & Wine 9/26-10/4 2014! OMG I went 3 Times in 2012 !!
Trip #1 With DD 4/7-4/14 2012!! Trip #2 With Work 4/29 - 5/2 2012!! Trip #3 Just Me and the Hubs! Hubs 1st Trip 5/2 -5/7 2012 !!
Homeowners = Aug 18, 2011
R.I.P ( Race In Peace)Uncle Bub 06/05/2010 /Bandit RIP 4/1/1997 - 10/2/2013 / Copper RIP 2/1/2001 -9/23/2011/XO miss you all
Old 03-20-2013, 11:28 AM   #2490
bigsis1970
Eating and Drinking our way around the Food & Wine Festival Sept 26 - Oct 4 2014. Loves being Hunny to the Hubs. On the way to losing 1/3 of myself.

Hi Gang.. short week for me but I'll post anyhow.. Work has been super busy and it's cutting into my Dis time.

this week is just me and the Hubs..
Wed - barber chicken, garlic noodles and carrots for Hubs, the Hellsman Parmasean chicken and salad for me
Thurs - leftover corned beef dinner for the Hubs and gorton's grilled shimp and cabbage for me
Friday - Normal cheeseburgers for the Hubs and my Mom (who is coming to visit) and a cheese burger rollup for me (made on 1/2 of a flatout 3.5 net carbs) with cut cold veggies
Saturday - we are going out to our local casino so not sure yet where we are eating but I can have steak or fish and cooked veggies or a salad.
Sunday - we have my DS's HS ice hockey banquet at a local seafood place so I am sure I'll have fish and salad there..

Our family: Me - Michelle & DH - The Hubs DD -Princess B DS - Buddy Welcome home Hunny 11/26/13

8D/9D for the Food & Wine 9/26-10/4 2014! OMG I went 3 Times in 2012 !!
Trip #1 With DD 4/7-4/14 2012!! Trip #2 With Work 4/29 - 5/2 2012!! Trip #3 Just Me and the Hubs! Hubs 1st Trip 5/2 -5/7 2012 !!
Homeowners = Aug 18, 2011
R.I.P ( Race In Peace)Uncle Bub 06/05/2010 /Bandit RIP 4/1/1997 - 10/2/2013 / Copper RIP 2/1/2001 -9/23/2011/XO miss you all
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: