Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 01:44 PM   #2431
stayhomemom77
Dieting my way to Disney!!

Tonight: Sausages, noodles and garden salad
Sunday: Turkey dinner (turkey, potatoes, corn, stuffing, gravy and broccoli)
Monday: Leftovers
Tuesday: Sausage and pepper calzones, greek salad
Wednesday: Hamburger helper with green peas, greek salad
Thursday: rotisserie chicken, roasted potatoes and garden salad
Friday: fish and chips, fresh fruit
Saturday: Homemade bean and rice burritos (not sure of veggie)
Sunday: Leftovers

I'm doing a clean out of the fridge and pantry to use up some of the older items. I'm draining everything really low, stashing the excess food budget money and then once everything old has been used up I'll use the money to stock up again on new items.

And it's KILLING me to see the cupboards and freezers so bare!! I tend to use up every last dime of my grocery money...first buying what I'll need on hand to see us through the week and then once those items have been purchased, I use the remaining money to stock up on sale items. I always have lots of food in the house, which I LOVE but I often have too much of certain things and then they don't get used and eventually get pitched.

So, my goal was to shop smarter (which I AM doing) but also to use up everything old so nothing was wasted. It means a great deal more planning than I'm used to but it's been working great so far this year!

I freeze a lot of leftovers (so they don't go bad in the fridge) and now I'm ensuring that we use them up instead of keeping them too long and throwing them out. I still have to find a way to work in some leftover pasta casserole and a batch of chili before spring sets in and we start using the BBQ on a regular basis.

Eventually, I'd like to get to the point where I can buy what I need, use some of the remainder to stock up on necessary sale items and then toss the rest of the food money in the Disney jar! It's a work in progress!!
Old 03-02-2013, 02:19 PM   #2432
LilyWDW
Going to My Happy Place

Tonight is Chicken Pot Pie Soup with Garlic Cheddar Biscuits.

Tomorrow is left over soup.

Monday: Spaghetti with Meat Sauce and Garlic Bread
Tuesday: Eggs, Sausage, and Toast
Wednesday: Pizza from Papa Johns (I have a 50% off code still)

Then we will be going up north to visit family for awhile.

"You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway." - Walt Disney
DIS'er OCTOBER 2014 FB Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1398705187009744/

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-02-2013, 07:11 PM   #2433
figment3258
DIS Veteran

My mil treated us to lunch out today which was very nice
Tonight we had pancakes
Tomorrow is home made Mac and cheese
Monday spaghetti and sauce
Tuesday sloppy joes and salad
Wednesday chicken potatoes and green beans
Thursday home made pizza and salad
Friday chicken noddle soup
Saturday my birthday we have a fundraiser or softball
Sunday meatloaf
Monday pork loin

Day 5 of not eating out ( Dosnt count if we don't pay) 274 days till Disney
Old 03-02-2013, 07:18 PM   #2434
Teresa Pitman
DIS Veteran

Today we had homemade mushroom soup with carrot muffins and whole-wheat sourdough biscuits (I cut them with my Mickey Mouse cookie-cutter - they looked so cute!) and salad.

Tomorrow I have my son and his wife and five kids coming over. I'm making bean soup, steamed broccoli, vegan pizza, and raw veggies and dip.

Monday night I am making seitan, baked sweet potatoes topped with hummus and salsa, and salad.

Tuesday night I am going out for dinner with my daughter - and Wednesday I head to WDW!! Four days in the parks, four day cruise on the Dream!

TP
Old 03-03-2013, 06:52 AM   #2435
AmericangirlinFrance
DIS Veteran

Well, I'm back on the train. I am finally going back to work next week after a long time not working - some due to bad job market, and the past few months because I was very sick with some complications from surgery. I'm getting better and just pray I'm healthy enough to start the job and not have it be an issue.

Anyway, it will be interesting with DH and I both working full time and still handling the menu planning, etc. I think I'm going to have to just plan, plan, plan and get DH more involved, too.

Anyway, that being said, here's the plan - this starts this coming Wednesday, March 6 b/c we are out of town visiting family until then.

Wed. March 6: frozen margherita pizza and veggies

Thurs. March 7: Meatloaf muffins (make extra for the freezer)

Fri: out with friends

Saturday: Cream cheese rotel chicken soft tacos w/ applesauce in the crock pot

Sunday: BBQ chicken sandwiches with oven sweet potato fries

Monday: beef, potato, and spinach layered casserole (I will probably assemble this Sunday night so all I have to do Monday is just put it in the oven - this is my first day of work!)

Tuesday: Italian crockpot chicken

Wednesday: Stromboli

Thursday: leftovers, or chicken salad sandwiches made with leftover Italian chicken

Fri: out

Saturday: oven fried chicken with broccoli slaw and oven sweet potato fries

Sunday: white chicken chili

Monday: spaghetti

Tuesday: taco salads

Wednesday: linguini with zucchini and chickpeas (new recipe)

That's all I have so far, and I'm sure it will change...

Florida residents!
Old 03-03-2013, 10:46 AM   #2436
tinkmom2
DIS Veteran

I am in the last week of my Phlebotomy internship Yesterday I made fish tacos with quick pickle relish, and chilies rellenos. We had a ton left so it looks like that is my lunch today. http://tinkmomfoodie-foodobsession.b...-rellenos.html

I was going to make Mexican pizzas this week but ended up having chicken burritos instead. And I made linguine with clam sauce. Another quick meal was hamburgers with mushroom sauce and potatoes.

I still spent about $100 on groceries ($60 at one store) this week but there was a huge meat sale at one grocery store so I stocked up. ($40 worth of meat) I have school on Tuesday and Wednesday and plan on going out for pizza at least one night this week with a Groupon.

Tonight is meatloaf muffins with polenta.

Private Meeting with Donald and Friends DCL http://youtu.be/UISHRa8lScM
BBB The Reveal http://youtu.be/AOjMTF9YBtk

Last edited by tinkmom2; 03-03-2013 at 05:09 PM.
Old 03-03-2013, 11:18 AM   #2437
OceanAnnie
I guess I have a thing against maroon food
If they are well behaved I'm okay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teresa Pitman View Post
Today we had homemade mushroom soup with carrot muffins and whole-wheat sourdough biscuits (I cut them with my Mickey Mouse cookie-cutter - they looked so cute!) and salad.

Tomorrow I have my son and his wife and five kids coming over. I'm making bean soup, steamed broccoli, vegan pizza, and raw veggies and dip.

Monday night I am making seitan, baked sweet potatoes topped with hummus and salsa, and salad.

Tuesday night I am going out for dinner with my daughter - and Wednesday I head to WDW!! Four days in the parks, four day cruise on the Dream!

TP
Lucky duck! Have fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericangirlinFrance View Post
Well, I'm back on the train. I am finally going back to work next week after a long time not working - some due to bad job market, and the past few months because I was very sick with some complications from surgery. I'm getting better and just pray I'm healthy enough to start the job and not have it be an issue.

Anyway, it will be interesting with DH and I both working full time and still handling the menu planning, etc. I think I'm going to have to just plan, plan, plan and get DH more involved, too.

Anyway, that being said, here's the plan - this starts this coming Wednesday, March 6 b/c we are out of town visiting family until then.

Wed. March 6: frozen margherita pizza and veggies

Thurs. March 7: Meatloaf muffins (make extra for the freezer)

Fri: out with friends

Saturday: Cream cheese rotel chicken soft tacos w/ applesauce in the crock pot

Sunday: BBQ chicken sandwiches with oven sweet potato fries

Monday: beef, potato, and spinach layered casserole (I will probably assemble this Sunday night so all I have to do Monday is just put it in the oven - this is my first day of work!)

Tuesday: Italian crockpot chicken

Wednesday: Stromboli

Thursday: leftovers, or chicken salad sandwiches made with leftover Italian chicken

Fri: out

Saturday: oven fried chicken with broccoli slaw and oven sweet potato fries

Sunday: white chicken chili

Monday: spaghetti

Tuesday: taco salads

Wednesday: linguini with zucchini and chickpeas (new recipe)

That's all I have so far, and I'm sure it will change...
I hope things go smoothly for you! Glad you are better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkmom2 View Post
I am in the last week of my Phlebotomy internship Yesterday I made fish tacos with quick pickle relish, and chilies rellenos. We had a ton left so it looks like that is my lunch today. http://tinkmomfoodie-foodobsession.b...-rellenos.html

I was going to make Mexican pizzas this week but ended up having chicken burritos instead. And I made linguine with clam sauce. Another quick meal was hamburgers with mushroom sauce and potatoes.

I still spent about $100 on groceries ($60 at one store) this week but there was a huge meat sale at one grocery store so I stocked up. ($40 worth of meat) I have school on Tuesday and Wednesday and plan on going out for pizza at least one night this week with a Groupon.
Congratulations! What do you think about the program? It looks hard tying to get a vein. I guess some are easier to hit than others.

----------------------

I have some chicken breasts for Mon. night. I don't know what I'm going to do with them yet. I'm looking through recipes now. I also have some fish in the freezer. I really need to take stock of the freezer and use what we have! I'll post the menu for the week later.

"We do not see things as they are, we see them as we are." -- Anais Nin

"Some lived careful lives and some lived careless lives, and everything that happened could be explained by the differences between them." -- Anne Tyler

"When you are a hammer, everything is a nail." --- Unknown

Old 03-03-2013, 12:42 PM   #2438
charming23
DIS Veteran

Tonight we are having sweet apple chicken sausage with sweet potato tots and green beans.
Old 03-03-2013, 03:58 PM   #2439
buckirj1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by charming23 View Post
...sweet potato tots...
I never knew there was such a thing. Be still, my heart
Old 03-03-2013, 05:07 PM   #2440
tinkmom2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanAnnie View Post
Lucky duck! Have fun!

Congratulations! What do you think about the program? It looks hard tying to get a vein. I guess some are easier to hit than others.

----------------------

I like it a lot but sometimes there are those people you can't draw. We are right next to the infusion department and see a lot of sick people where they have no veins left due to chemo or in the elderly where their veins collapse. There have been a few times where not even my trainers could get blood from a patient.

There is such a fear that people have built up about getting their blood drawn especially when they have to have it done often like for people that need their blood constantly monitored. That part has been hard not to take personally. Also I don't think people realize how important it is that we do our job right so the results aren't erroneous.

I am in the home stretch now and am feeling more confident every day

Private Meeting with Donald and Friends DCL http://youtu.be/UISHRa8lScM
BBB The Reveal http://youtu.be/AOjMTF9YBtk
Old 03-03-2013, 06:51 PM   #2441
Eureka
DIS Veteran

My menu for this week:
Monday: soup and sandwiches (always need something quick and easy on Mondays, we all get home from work/activities around 6:30pm)
Tuesday: pork chops (they were b1g1f this week) and rice or noodles
Wednesday: homemade ham and cheese calzone and oven fried potatoes
Thursday: leftover night
Friday: pasta of some sort with salad; frozen Gorton's or veggie burger for my DS that doesn't like pasta

Yesterday was my birthday so we ate out yesterday and did "whatever" today (Sundays are always a no-cook day for me), so I need to get back into a routine.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:28 PM   #2442
OceanAnnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkmom2 View Post
I like it a lot but sometimes there are those people you can't draw. We are right next to the infusion department and see a lot of sick people where they have no veins left due to chemo or in the elderly where their veins collapse. There have been a few times where not even my trainers could get blood from a patient.

There is such a fear that people have built up about getting their blood drawn especially when they have to have it done often like for people that need their blood constantly monitored. That part has been hard not to take personally. Also I don't think people realize how important it is that we do our job right so the results aren't erroneous.

I am in the home stretch now and am feeling more confident every day
I'm glad for you! Good job!

---------

Tonight we made good use of an Outback gift certificate (from Christmas). We did curbside takeout, so technically we still ate at home.

"Some lived careful lives and some lived careless lives, and everything that happened could be explained by the differences between them." -- Anne Tyler

Old 03-04-2013, 09:27 AM   #2443
OceanAnnie

This week:

Mon.- Quesadilla casserole
Tue.- Mediterranean Herb Crusted Tilapia w/ steamed butternut squash and something green
Wed.- Pork chop schnitzel w/ field peas and snaps
Thurs.- Cinnamon French toast w/ turkey sausage, yogurt,fruit
Fri.- Caribbean Grilled steak w/ Asian medley vegetables, steamed

Old 03-04-2013, 03:13 PM   #2444
charming23
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckirj1 View Post
I never knew there was such a thing. Be still, my heart
I got them at Trader Joe's and they were yummy. I have also seen the by Alexia at the grocery store.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:49 AM   #2445
queenofthehive
DIS Veteran

Menu Plan Week of March 8th

Saturday - Chicken tenders, pasta salad, and squash
Sunday - Ranch baked tilapia and broccoli casserole
Monday - Pork chops, mashed potatoes, and green beans
Tuesday - Taco salad
Wednesday - Queso chicken, rice, veggies
Thursday - Baked salmon, creamed spinach, and rice pilaf
Friday - Grilled london broil, corn on the cob, and sauteed peppers & onions

Rate This Thread