Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > The Creative Community > Scrapbooking
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2012, 02:12 PM   #31
MazdaUK
Curse this time difference!
You show me yours I'll show you mine!
Now I just want to go home and spread my bits of paper about

Assuming DS(18) does enough work to get the grades he needs I wonder what the chances are of him completing one of these during Uni? I'm guessing 0
DLP Disney Hotel New York May 2003
Disneyland - 2 days visit while staying at Sheraton Anaheim on honeymoon September 1990
MazdaUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 09:06 AM   #32
pjlla
<><
Only took one try and voila
Likes to be barefoot at every possible occasion

Okay friends! I finally finished my homemade version of a Smash book for DD to take to Costa Rica with her next week. I used a spiral bound notebook I bought at Target.... I liked the cover and the pages and discovered that it was made of banana leaf paper from Costa Rica! So it was a slam dunk (despite the very lightweight pages).

I bought some legit "Smash book" pieces, plus a bunch of other odds and ends. I tried to make every page have a slightly different feel.... some are "travel-y" some are vintage, some are "teen-ish". I left room for some photos later plus journaling to go with the photos. I used some pockets for "travel treasures". I tried to use a few prompts to get her to talk about more than just "today we went to see.....".

She LOVED IT! I did take photos and will try to get them uploaded later today............P

WDW 12/1974, WDW 03/1983, WDW 05/1992 (with DH on HONEYMOON ), WDW 01/2002 (first family trip to WDW), WDW 01/2004 (2nd family trip), DL and DCA 07/2005 (first family trip to DL!), WDW 06/2007... DD gets to go without us! WDW & Discovery Cove 04/2008 (First stay at Pop ), WDW 01/10 DD goes without us AGAIN! , WDW 05/10 Mother/Son trip WDW 05/11 Mother/Daughter trip !! WDW 05/13 Mother/Daughter trip #2 celebrating GRADUATION!
pjlla is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-16-2012, 10:03 AM   #33
PrincessNancy96
My family drove me nuts, and then I got stuck in traffic
Washed my hair and wham, several ideas hit me all at once!

DISboards Moderator

pjlla~ that sounds awesome! Can't wait to see.. Good luck to your DD.. Hope she enjoys Costa Rica... tell her to stay safe!!

PJ made one of these for her econ project.... she really liked it... I want to grab a book this weekend to make for her lyric book to take to college.

PrincessNancy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 12:33 PM   #34
pjlla
<><

Okay..... I'll share some pictures here. Some of the pages only contain a rubber stamp or two for fun..... some have stickers, journaling boxes and prompts, pockets, trinkets, etc.

First up is the cover..... left it pretty much as-is.... added a rubber stamp of DD first initial and some pretty tropical ribbons to the binding.

Inside front cover just a few travel stickers plus a real Smash book sticker on page one.

A few of the inside pages..... including pages for photos and little notes, etc.

Inside back cover I included part of the label that came with the notebook stating its origins in CR.

Back cover.... just has a fun looking name label.

Anyhow...... that isn't every page, but you get the idea. It looks pretty blank now, but I'm HOPING that it will be full of notes and sketches and scribbles and STUFF when DD returns from CR. ..........................P

WDW 12/1974, WDW 03/1983, WDW 05/1992 (with DH on HONEYMOON ), WDW 01/2002 (first family trip to WDW), WDW 01/2004 (2nd family trip), DL and DCA 07/2005 (first family trip to DL!), WDW 06/2007... DD gets to go without us! WDW & Discovery Cove 04/2008 (First stay at Pop ), WDW 01/10 DD goes without us AGAIN! , WDW 05/10 Mother/Son trip WDW 05/11 Mother/Daughter trip !! WDW 05/13 Mother/Daughter trip #2 celebrating GRADUATION!
Old 02-17-2012, 08:35 AM   #35
MazdaUK

My mum gave me a "ladies journal" for Christmas - its really just a notebook with pictures of Regency ladies on the front, but I might use that for my trip in July - good idea to customise the pages in advance
Disneyland - 2 days visit while staying at Sheraton Anaheim on honeymoon September 1990
Old 02-17-2012, 09:00 AM   #36
Golden Amik
Is it summer yet?

At the last scrapbooking night two friends were talking about this and one had hers with her. She made her own after watching a few youtube videos. We are in the process of building a house. Although I'll probably do a mini album of the house building process, it won't be elaborate. The next day after scrapbooking I dragged out all my stuff and put one together for our house building. It is a great place to tack all the pamphlets and snipets of things that I have been collecting. I will add pictures to it here or there, but it's more about a gathering place for all the things I wouldn't put in my scrapbook, but is relavent to our building.

This is it in pieces. I have it put together with binder rings.

Plan on doing one for Disney for sure!
Old 02-19-2012, 11:50 AM   #37
MazdaUK

That's what I want - a place for all those bits and pieces I collect along the way that end up in a folder as I don't want to lose them
Old 02-20-2012, 11:13 AM   #38
booszoo
Earning My Ears

these are really nice to do with the kids, you really don't have to worry about messing up.
booszoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 02:28 AM   #39
MazdaUK

How heavy should the paper be, do you think? Ordinary notebook (not a cheap one!) OK?
Old 02-23-2012, 08:25 AM   #40
pjlla
<><

Quote:
Originally Posted by MazdaUK View Post
How heavy should the paper be, do you think? Ordinary notebook (not a cheap one!) OK?
That was my biggest concern with the notebook I bought. The paper seemed really flimsy and I was concerned that it wouldn't hold up to the heavy stuff I was sticking to it. I ended up doubling up some of the pages. I used permanent adhesive and stuck two pages together. It was a bit of "fussy" work, making sure that the pages lined up properly and didn't look strange. But I think it worked. I didn't do it with every page, just the ones where I had stuck something heavy.

Good luck.......................P

Old 02-23-2012, 08:57 AM   #41
newtexan
DIS Veteran

pjlla - that looks awesome, I'm sure she will enjoy having that to use!

newtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 09:18 AM   #42
Golden Amik
Is it summer yet?

I used cardboard that came with album refills and altered it with paper, ink and stickers. For the inside of the smash book, I cut paper to size and hole punched it. I didn't want to order a premade smash book, because I saw it as an opportunity to clear out my paper stash and use the stuff that was sitting for years and years.

My pages are sturdy because I am using cardstock and adding paper to it. It is a work in progress that will evolve as I add to it.

No rules! Make it yours!
Old 02-23-2012, 09:31 AM   #43
MazdaUK

Thanks both
Old 02-23-2012, 06:09 PM   #44
pjlla
<><

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtexan View Post
pjlla - that looks awesome, I'm sure she will enjoy having that to use!
Thanks! She on her trip right now and I know she was writing in it before she even left the US!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Amik View Post
I used cardboard that came with album refills and altered it with paper, ink and stickers. For the inside of the smash book, I cut paper to size and hole punched it. I didn't want to order a premade smash book, because I saw it as an opportunity to clear out my paper stash and use the stuff that was sitting for years and years.

My pages are sturdy because I am using cardstock and adding paper to it. It is a work in progress that will evolve as I add to it.

No rules! Make it yours!
Great idea to use up your stash! ..............P

Old 03-19-2012, 03:13 PM   #45
CathieForman
Earning My Ears

Smash book

Great thread. I am planning on making a smash book for my Disney Cruise in May and have been gathering paper and stickers. I have an original pink smash book but I want to really have a specific Disney one for this trip so I will try to make one myself. I don't know if I will use binder rings or my cinch. Any tips or suggestions on what to include or how to put it together would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Cathie
CathieForman is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: