Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES! > disABILITIES Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2011, 06:09 PM   #1
jerseygirl81
DIS Veteran

Very sturdy Ipad case?

We purchased an Ipad 1 for DS20 to use as a communication device. I've been shopping for a case for it. His speech teacher suggested a couple of cases and the student I work with also has one. I'm considering an Incipio Destroyer, I prefer the otterbox but it doesn't have a carrying strap. I wish I could combine the two I like the stand on the otterbox and the back isn't slippery like the Incipio but I'm afraid he would drop the otterbox without having a strip. We need a sturdy case since it could get dropped or knocked off his desk and it will be traveling back and forth on the bus. Is anyone using their ipod for this reason and have another case they prefer? Thanks, Linda
Pop Dec 09
CBR Nov 11
CSR Aug 12
POR Nov 13
jerseygirl81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 08:03 PM   #2
SoonerSarah
DIS Veteran

Can you pair this Otterbox
http://www.amazon.com/OtterBox-APL2-...3914418&sr=8-1

With this
http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-OtterB...914437&sr=8-27

There are better pictures on here
http://www.otterbox.com/OtterBox-Uti...gid=ipad-cases

I'm just not sure how secure the utility series latch is.
SoonerSarah is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-14-2011, 08:45 PM   #3
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

There is a guy named RJCooper who does a lot of things with AAC (augmentative and alternative communication) and computer access for people with disabilities. He has some tests of cases that he posted on his website that you might want to look at. He made some adaptations to the Incipio DESTROYER case to add a strap.

Another case I have heard good things about is the Gumdrop case. It is pretty indestructable, but doesnít have a strap. Hereís a video that compares it to the Otterbox Defender case (shooting at them with paintball guns!).
There are quite a few comparison videos on youtube - itís important to make sure what you are looking at is the exact same model in the video because some came out in more than one version.

Since this isnít about WDW, I am going to move this thread to the disABILITIES Community Board, where it will be more on subject and hopefully get more replies.

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 09:05 PM   #4
SueM in MN

DISboards Moderator

There is also a holder called the HandeHolder that I have heard good things about. The website shows it on a bare iPad, but there is a video (which I canít locate right now) which shows how to adapt a case to use with it (basically by cutting a hole in the back of the case, so it wonít work with all cases.

There is another one that I have seen and canít think of the name of it right now, but will look.

Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
Old 12-21-2011, 12:08 AM   #5
SueM in MN

DISboards Moderator

Here's a website I just found with some others.
http://appsforaac.net/content/ipad-cases

Old 01-06-2012, 10:24 PM   #6
ColoradoDisney
Mouseketeer

Otterbox

Www.otterbox.com
ColoradoDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:13 PM   #7
Antonian
Earning My Ears

The iPad is said to be the best device you can possibly use to surf the net. Surf the net, view your favourite photos, watch exciting videos and much more with this astounding device.It will of course be up to you to decide which design you will choose for the case and cover of your iPad.
Antonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 10:06 AM   #8
lost*in*cyberspace
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonian View Post
The iPad is said to be the best device you can possibly use to surf the net. Surf the net, view your favourite photos, watch exciting videos and much more with this astounding device.It will of course be up to you to decide which design you will choose for the case and cover of your iPad.
Are you an Apple employee or just trying to up your post count

Actually, an iPad is not the very best device for surfing the web, as it cannot handle flash.

OP - there are lots of bad reviews for the otterbox for iPad. I also recommend looking into GumDrop cases or Griffin Survivor case (not sure you can find a version for iPad 1).
lost*in*cyberspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 11:28 AM   #9
SueM in MN

DISboards Moderator

Just found this cool case. BUT, it is for iPad 2. The company Uzibull has similar cases without the ability to connect to things for the iPad 1. I have seen those on Amazon as gaming covers.
http://www.ipadflex.com/

It is a protective case, but also has the ability to have things attached securely to it so it can be mounted, carried with a hands trap, carried with a shoulder strap. While these are nice for people without disabilities, some of these features make the iPad useable for someone with disabilities.
Because it is a mainstream item, it's much less expensive than it would be if marketed just for people with disabilities.

Last edited by SueM in MN; 01-13-2012 at 11:39 AM.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:34 AM   #10
lost*in*cyberspace
DIS Veteran

That is an interesting case. Too bad it doesn't have a front cover.
lost*in*cyberspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 11:56 AM   #11
SueM in MN

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost*in*cyberspace View Post
That is an interesting case. Too bad it doesn't have a front cover.
Yes, that would be nice.
I would like that not only for protection, but also the smart cover is an easier way for many people with disabilities ( including my DD) to wake the iPad and put it back to sleep.

Old 06-08-2012, 12:29 PM   #12
olive
Mouseketeer

We have had the otterbox (defender?) since last May, for the iPad 2. We have had great luck with it. We, and our ASD son, have dropped it several times with no ill effects to the iPad. We would definitely recommend it.
olive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 03:41 PM   #13
lucigo
DIS Veteran

My 9yo has a gumdrop case on his. Its sturdy and has protected it from drops. He spilled water on it I had to strip it and wipe it down but it did survive without harm. It also keeps it from slipping around.
Old 06-09-2012, 10:31 PM   #14
cyndik1111
DIS Veteran

Another vote for gumdrop. I am typing this on my iPad with my gumdrop case. My ADHD 8 yo dd has dropped it several times , no problems. We love the rugged look. Looks like a truck tire. But sorry, no handle.
cyndik1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 06:09 PM   #15
ratlenhum
DIS Veteran

Otterbox Defender series

My son was running down the hall, tripped and the iPad went flying about 6 feet through the air, smashed into the bathroom door and landed glass down on the tile floor. I was in tears as I picked up because I was sure that was the end of it. Nope, it was fine. We've had about a dozen drops in 18 months and not a mark on it!
ratlenhum is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: