Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2011, 01:14 PM   #16
nytimez
Nihilist

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkraz View Post
Don't really get why Disney fans seem so fearful of change. The specifics will be tested, adjusted, massaged, reworked and otherwise altered a dozen times over.

Some aspects of park touring may be negatively impacted but based upon everything I have heard, it will easily be a net gain.

Really?

When a parade float rolls by and Goofy specifically points and waves at a guest 10' to your right, do you feel slighted?

IMO Hill really missed the mark with this passage. Just because dolls are dancing and waving on a video screen doesn't mean they will be singling out a guest. As great as the RFID technology appears, I have my doubts that designers could (or would) have a video rendering accurately seek out one guest out of 15-20 in a moving boat.

Not sure how you can say Hill missed the mark "in your opinion." It's either accurate or not -- not really a matter for opinion. Either we will see this happen, or we won't -- and personally, I don't think Jim Hill or you have the definitive inside track on what will happen.

However, as described, the plan as envisioned with "small world" is quite a bit different from Goofy randomly waving to people at a parade, and I think most people will recognize that.

You might have your doubts about the Imagineers and their ability to pull this off, but I'll reserve judgement until I see the finished product.
Old 12-13-2011, 01:29 PM   #17
tjkraz

DVC Owner SSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by nytimez View Post
However, as described, the plan as envisioned with "small world" is quite a bit different from Goofy randomly waving to people at a parade...
In what way?

EDIT: With regard to the previous passage, it's my opinion that Hill sensationalized this aspect of the changes or order to gardner a bit more attention (and the accompanying hand-wringing) from Disney fanatics. Based upon my knowledge of the situation, I have no reason to believe that these interactive elements will go out of their way to engage one guest above-and-beyond all others.

DVC owner at SSR, BWV and VGC

Last edited by tjkraz; 12-13-2011 at 01:35 PM.
tjkraz is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-13-2011, 01:38 PM   #18
FWDisneyfan
Earning My Ears

I just re-read the Tom Staggs Investor speech and it doesn't appear to me that FastPass is necessarily going away, they are looking @ tweaking it and adding a new option. I think making it a pay only option would be foolish and I don't think the Disney brass will make a foolish choice. (At least I hope not)

'The trouble with quotes on the internet is that itís difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine."
- Abraham Lincoln

Disney Visits: 1976, 1982, 1994, 1995, 1999, 2000, 2001 (2x), 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (2x), 2007, 2008 (3x), 2009 & Christmas 2011

My favorite Disney video:
http://bryan-thewayiseeit.blogspot.c...you-think.html
FWDisneyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 05:30 PM   #19
anthony2k7
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nytimez View Post
Not sure how you can say Hill missed the mark "in your opinion." It's either accurate or not -- not really a matter for opinion. Either we will see this happen, or we won't -- and personally, I don't think Jim Hill or you have the definitive inside track on what will happen.

However, as described, the plan as envisioned with "small world" is quite a bit different from Goofy randomly waving to people at a parade, and I think most people will recognize that.

You might have your doubts about the Imagineers and their ability to pull this off, but I'll reserve judgement until I see the finished product.
I think Hill is basing his article on some of the blue sky thinking still going on in Disney about this project. I don't doubt that all of what he says is planned. Equally I dont doubt that its all technically possible - even for Disney's Imagineers and their recent lack of creativity!

However, I think the practicality of all this will be a different matter. The issues already raised about sectioning off a big area of the parade route etc. Also the costs involved - the small world changes alone sound expenses depending how elegant the solution is. How will they track where the XPass people sit in the boats - each boat will need RFID readers I assume, maybe even each seat? Will Disney really go ahead and spend that much money at the moment?

Also, I was under the impression the Epcot RFID turnstyles trial was less than successful?
anthony2k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 06:58 PM   #20
nytimez
Nihilist

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony2k7 View Post
I think Hill is basing his article on some of the blue sky thinking still going on in Disney about this project. I don't doubt that all of what he says is planned. Equally I dont doubt that its all technically possible - even for Disney's Imagineers and their recent lack of creativity!

However, I think the practicality of all this will be a different matter. The issues already raised about sectioning off a big area of the parade route etc. Also the costs involved - the small world changes alone sound expenses depending how elegant the solution is. How will they track where the XPass people sit in the boats - each boat will need RFID readers I assume, maybe even each seat? Will Disney really go ahead and spend that much money at the moment?

Also, I was under the impression the Epcot RFID turnstyles trial was less than successful?
Agreed.

As for RFID, I haven't heard too much -- but I think you launch a trial like that on a limited and off-the-beaten path location (back gate as Epcot has the lowest foot traffic of any park entrance) knowing there will be problems, bugs and other kinks... then you tweak/change the system based on how it operates in that real-world test.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:45 PM   #21
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

I haven't heard either way if the RFID test was a success or failure. I don't think it was intended to be the final system, but it was a trial of another system, similar to the no-turnstile barcode scanning done earlier this year. They've at least received a lot of feedback as to to how it worked, and a lot of adjustments can be made.
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 02:28 PM   #22
Azrael
le Pays maudit

Whn I'm on vacation, I don't want to have to plan when to eat, where to eat, which park to be in on any given day, etc. I don't understand why Disney execs feel that this is something that people want.
Vacation should be just that-VACATION.
Azrael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 03:47 PM   #23
anthony2k7
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azrael View Post
Whn I'm on vacation, I don't want to have to plan when to eat, where to eat, which park to be in on any given day, etc. I don't understand why Disney execs feel that this is something that people want.
Vacation should be just that-VACATION.
i think you're in the minority on this one. generally people on here seem to love planning every detail. plus, I know in park surveys have asked how much people plan as well.
anthony2k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 05:02 PM   #24
nancytoby
Mom, runner, triathlete

I don't have a problem with planning.

I do have a problem with people being able to buy their way past the turnstyles and pay for a superior in-park experience at WDW. Whether I would do it or not depends on pricing, but my suspicion is that it would be quite costly. I just don't like to see WDW pricing itself into territory that the average middle-class American can only afford for a "once in a lifetime" trip.

nancytoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 06:08 PM   #25
tjkraz

DVC Owner SSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancytoby View Post
I do have a problem with people being able to buy their way past the turnstyles and pay for a superior in-park experience at WDW. Whether I would do it or not depends on pricing, but my suspicion is that it would be quite costly. I just don't like to see WDW pricing itself into territory that the average middle-class American can only afford for a "once in a lifetime" trip.
Do you really think that Disney would price these add-ons such that it would stretch people's budgets from multiple times per lifetime to once in a lifetime?

Old 12-18-2011, 06:09 PM   #26
ASteelersMidget
DIS Veteran

Yet again I feel it must be known that as of right now these specifics are not confirmed. so take them with a grain of salt.

"The same thing we try to every night Ferb!

Try to take over the world!!!!"

The Phineas, the Phineas and the Ferb, Ferb, Ferb, Ferb, Ferb.

ASteelersMidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 07:09 PM   #27
nancytoby
Mom, runner, triathlete

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkraz View Post
Do you really think that Disney would price these add-ons such that it would stretch people's budgets from multiple times per lifetime to once in a lifetime?
No, I don't think that one add-on would make the difference. It's a cumulative effect, of course.

I don't know the exact numbers but I'd guesstimate that an average 1-week visit to WDW is well over 10% of the median US household income right now. Anyone have the figures?

nancytoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 08:08 PM   #28
tjkraz

DVC Owner SSR

Quote:
No, I don't think that one add-on would make the difference. It's a cumulative effect, of course.

I don't know the exact numbers but I'd guesstimate that an average 1-week visit to WDW is well over 10% of the median US household income right now. Anyone have the figures?
There are many different approaches to a Walt Disney World vacation...and have always been. Every day countless guests drive hundreds of miles (instead of flying), pay meager sums to stay off I-Drive and eat their own PB&J sandwiches for lunch instead of dining at Cinderella's Royal Table.

Paying extra for unique in-park experiences is somewhat unique. (I say "somewhat" because they've had variations of immediate FASTPASS cards for years, along with behind-the-scenes tours, personal tour guides, etc.) Hard to evaluate the impact on other guests without any confirmed details.

But even if Jim Hill's overview comes to be, everything is still optional. There is no mandate to pay extra in order to reserve ride times or parade viewing space. Guests will still have amazing trips without being obligated to pay those extra charges.

Old 12-19-2011, 10:26 AM   #29
stashbin
DIS Veteran

I like the part in the article that says it will only be available to the deluxe resort customers at first. That means poor folks like me that have to stay in the value resorts will have to use the regular ole fastpass system.
Old 12-19-2011, 11:42 AM   #30
Disco
Hail Eris!

Quote:

Well the median household income is about $50k right now. I think it shrunk to $48k actually with the recession but letís just say give or take a couple thousand.
$5000 is a little high for me even with a family of 4. However, factor in food and airfare and you may be just about right. I can't afford WDW anymore so I don't go as often. However I've replaced with trips to DL because I can drive to it which makes it cheaper (not by much though). Either way net loss in revenue for Disney (only spend 3 days in DL vs. a week in WDW) but that is partially due to higher inflation (airfare, gas and food). People are making less and costs have gone up for just about everything.
Disco is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fastpass, lines, wdw, xpass

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: