Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2011, 09:24 AM   #1
nancytoby
Mom, runner, triathlete

XPass

I'm an XPass hater already:

"next year's roll-out of the XPass program (which - for a price -- will offer WDW Guests the opportunity to pre-book an entire vacation's worth of rides on the Resort's most popular attractions as well as guaranteeing these high-end customers a primo reserved viewing spot for theme park parades and/or nighttime extravaganzas like Epcot's "Illuminations" and DHS's "Fantasmic!") ."

From http://jimhillmedia.com/editor_in_ch...s-in-2012.aspx

nancytoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 09:42 AM   #2
DizCaptain
°o° Disney Enthusiast

Disney experiences are turning more and more each year into a hierarchy based on, what else, money. Pretty soon they'll charge you to watch fireworks based on what land you're in... I swear. I'm sure there are alot of people who see this as cool, but there's nothing wrong with fast pass other than complaints about new guests "not understanding it." I personally consider it something earned, stampeding to the kiosk in the morning and grabbing the fast pass, and of course, the less who know about it the better this whole booking thing is a disaster waiting to happen imho.

"Laughter is America's most important export." -Walt Disney

DizCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-12-2011, 10:39 AM   #3
nytimez
Nihilist

This part sounds even worse:

That said, things might get a little awkward on attractions like "it's a small world" (where people who have booked the XPass vacation package will - prior to their arrival in Orlando - then be able to go online and build their very own customized Mary Blair-esque doll. Who will then appear on a flat screen in "it's a small world" 's finale sequence and dance for & wave to the Guest who actually created this doll). When there's a boatload of tourists experiencing this attraction together. And this CG "it's a small world" doll zeroes in on a single Guest and then only interacts with them.
Old 12-12-2011, 10:57 AM   #4
Faldred
DIS Veteran

Consider the source... isn't Jim Hill the guy who posts bogus Disney rumors on a regular basis?

March 2009: Port Orleans Riverside ( Trip Report -- Dining Report ) -- May 2006: Vacation Village timeshare -- May 2002: Orange Lake timeshare
Faldred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 11:35 AM   #5
ASteelersMidget
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faldred View Post
Consider the source... isn't Jim Hill the guy who posts bogus Disney rumors on a regular basis?
I sure hope it isn't true. It would be potentially the worst screw up I can remember in Disney's park history.

"The same thing we try to every night Ferb!

Try to take over the world!!!!"

The Phineas, the Phineas and the Ferb, Ferb, Ferb, Ferb, Ferb.

ASteelersMidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 12:42 PM   #6
nytimez
Nihilist

Jim Hill has hits and misses. Time will tell which category this falls into...
Old 12-12-2011, 01:00 PM   #7
GrnMtnMan
DIS Veteran

Is there a 'master' article where he talks more in-depth about Xpass? I have heard about the *idea* of NextGen, but his discussion of Xpass begs for a deeper discussion of what it's going to be.
Dolphin 10/04
DL - Grand Californian 3/06
Disneyland Paris 9/07
Swan 9/08, 6/10
BLT 9/09, 12/10 - Father-Daughter Trip, 10/11, 10/12, 10/13, 10/14

Disney-Like: Atlantis - Paradise Island 3/01, 3/02, 9/03, 9/05, 3/07, 4/08, 3/09, 4/10, 3/11, 4/12, 3/13, 4/14, 4/15
GrnMtnMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 01:37 PM   #8
Faldred
DIS Veteran

The main reason I disbelieve this is that WDW already has the premium VIP tours, which offer most of the same benefits (sans the need to plan ahead). Why would they need this "XPass"?

The whole "insert yourself into IaSW" thing makes me even more skeptical.

March 2009: Port Orleans Riverside ( Trip Report -- Dining Report ) -- May 2006: Vacation Village timeshare -- May 2002: Orange Lake timeshare
Faldred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 02:29 PM   #9
GrnMtnMan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faldred View Post
The main reason I disbelieve this is that WDW already has the premium VIP tours, which offer most of the same benefits (sans the need to plan ahead). Why would they need this "XPass"?
Why? I've personally paid for FOTL at several theme-parks and have stayed on-Site at Universal to get the Express Access.

The Disney offerings for VIP treatment are not justifiable to my budget (more than $1,000 for a family a day). The extra $100 to $300 a day I've paid for my family to have a leisurely experience at other parks has been do-able.

Disney needs this mid-tier/semi-VIP level to be competitive.
Dolphin 10/04
Disneyland Paris 9/07
Swan 9/08, 6/10

Disney-Like: Atlantis - Paradise Island 3/01, 3/02, 9/03, 9/05, 3/07, 4/08, 3/09, 4/10, 3/11, 4/12, 3/13, 4/14, 4/15

Last edited by GrnMtnMan; 12-12-2011 at 02:31 PM. Reason: typo
Old 12-12-2011, 05:36 PM   #10
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Jim Hill seems to have access to a lot of the "blue sky" plans that get dreamed up, but very rarely see the light of day. This could be based on early ideas and supposition on how XPass will work...true details of which have not been released, and I've heard no corroborating evidence or rumors.

Seriously...was there actually an increase in fistfights in 1999 over Fastpasses?
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 08:12 AM   #11
GrnMtnMan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
I've heard no corroborating evidence or rumors.
Tom Staggs has openly spoken of NextGen and has specifically mentioned how guests could plan their say, down to scheduling rides, when they book their vacation.
Quote:
we are currently developing an innovative system that will, in essence, create a version of FASTPASS for their entire Disney vacations. Now we define the guest experience as beginning from the time a potential guest sits down at a computer or picks up a phone to make a reservation. Our new tools will help them better understand all that we have to offer and better plan their time with us. They’ll be able to create a personalized itinerary that gives them the exact Disney vacation they want.

Guests will be able to reserve times for their favorite attractions and character interactions… secure seats at our shows and spectaculars… make dining reservations… and pre-book many other favorite guest experiences – all before even leaving their house
I recall hearing that several billion has been dedicated to implementing NexGen...maybe now known as Xpass.
Dolphin 10/04
Disneyland Paris 9/07
Swan 9/08, 6/10

Old 12-13-2011, 08:33 AM   #12
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrnMtnMan View Post
Tom Staggs has openly spoken of NextGen and has specifically mentioned how guests could plan their say, down to scheduling rides, when they book their vacation.
Which doesn't say that it is a premium upcharge service, or exactly how the system works, or anything like what Jim Hill mentions. Basically, he only mentions that you can use it to plan certain aspects of a trip ahead much like making ADRs.

Quote:
I recall hearing that several billion has been dedicated to implementing NexGen...maybe now known as Xpass.
NexGen is many things, some of which we've already seen - new virtual queue ideas like was tested at RNRC, more queue interactivity like the new HM queue, etc. XPass is likely just another aspect of it.
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 11:26 AM   #13
tjkraz

DVC Owner SSR

Don't really get why Disney fans seem so fearful of change. The specifics will be tested, adjusted, massaged, reworked and otherwise altered a dozen times over.

Some aspects of park touring may be negatively impacted but based upon everything I have heard, it will easily be a net gain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nytimez View Post
This part sounds even worse:

That said, things might get a little awkward on attractions like "it's a small world" (where people who have booked the XPass vacation package will - prior to their arrival in Orlando - then be able to go online and build their very own customized Mary Blair-esque doll. Who will then appear on a flat screen in "it's a small world" 's finale sequence and dance for & wave to the Guest who actually created this doll). When there's a boatload of tourists experiencing this attraction together. And this CG "it's a small world" doll zeroes in on a single Guest and then only interacts with them.
Really?

When a parade float rolls by and Goofy specifically points and waves at a guest 10' to your right, do you feel slighted?

IMO Hill really missed the mark with this passage. Just because dolls are dancing and waving on a video screen doesn't mean they will be singling out a guest. As great as the RFID technology appears, I have my doubts that designers could (or would) have a video rendering accurately seek out one guest out of 15-20 in a moving boat.

DVC owner at SSR, BWV and VGC
tjkraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 11:28 AM   #14
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

a bit early...

I'd think its a bit early to start hating XPass. Lets at least give somebody a chance to see it "in the wild" as it were. Rumors are one thing, actual practice might be something else.

Even after it does get introduced, I'm sure there will be a bunch of "fine tuning" that Disney will find necessary over time depending on how its implemented and how guests react in real life (as opposed to DIS life).
Old 12-13-2011, 12:50 PM   #15
ASteelersMidget
DIS Veteran

I think the majority of you are missing the point. this is still a rumor. Let's wait to discuss whether it will work or not once it is officially announced from Disney. At this point it is rumored specifics of something we know in some form or fashion will happen. I believe we need to treat it as such.

"The same thing we try to every night Ferb!

Try to take over the world!!!!"

The Phineas, the Phineas and the Ferb, Ferb, Ferb, Ferb, Ferb.

ASteelersMidget is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fastpass, lines, wdw, xpass

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: