Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families > DIS Dads
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-2011, 10:42 AM   #16
Captain_Oblivious
DIS Dad #257
Don't underestimate your audience. I'm sure there's a fart joke in here somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes View Post
According to the US Bureau of Transportation Statistics:

“The Thanksgiving holiday period is among the busiest long-distance travel periods of the year. During the 6-day Thanksgiving travel period, the number of long-distance trips (to and from a *destination 50 miles or more away) increases by 54 percent.

Most long-distance holiday travel, about 91 percent, is by personal vehicle, such as by car. Only 5 to 6 percent of holiday trips are by air, while 2 to 3 percent are by bus, train, ship, or other mode.”
And even though they are all traveling at the same time as millions upon millions of other people and refusing to alter their schedules, they'll still all blame the DOT for traffic jams! But I'm not bitter or anything.

Quote:
Using the Transportation Departments statistics, we know that about 850,000 of them were traveling via “bus, train or ship/other”.
What's the "other"? Hovercraft? Jitney? One of those two-person push-rail cars?

Quote:
But these kids also have a penchant for working very hard. No, really… That’s how a group from a mid-sized school that is only just starting its fifth year of operation succeeded in getting the folks up at Macy’s to invite them to participate in this undertaking.
Speaks well for the student population...

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan View Post
Wow... you were .3% of the .1% of the 33.3% of the 2%
Captain_Oblivious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 01:38 PM   #17
GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes
DDC 469
Never mind the Kool-Aid, don’t drink the Beverly!
If it’s still here tomorrow… I may ignore it again

Quote:
I'd ask if the 2% went to Wall Street to visit the 1%, but I don't want any spoilers.

We did get a chance to head down toward that part of Manhattan, and while I’m sure that there were a few 1%-ers in the area, we were on a different mission. One that was more sobering and contemplative (but that’s not until Friday, so I’ve a good ways to go in this tale before I get to that spot on the map).

Quote:
Wow... you were .3% of the .1% of the 33.3% of the 2%
I almost took the numbers on down to that extreme, but it started to make even my head hurt. Better you then me.

Quote:
How appropriate.
I have a firm grasp on just exactly who and what I am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theduck619 View Post
I hope there will be a pic of you dancing on the Paino toy at FAO like Tom Hanks in Big
That would have been good… but… we just didn’t have time to get up to FAO Swartz on this trip, so that one didn’t happen (but I did get to poke around in a shop that has more in common with these boards then a Hollywood film)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj9200 View Post
Ahh, school road trips. The joy of getting up at insane o'clock to drop the kid off at the school so she can get on the bus.

Notice I said, "drop the kid off." Never stepped foot on one of those buses let alone let them close the door behind me. You are much braver than I am.
As an accomplished diver and a veteran of multiple trips to The World (in the company of variously sized gaggles of teenage girls)… I’d say that you have earned your “bravery stripes”.

Welcome to this very un-Disney TR… I’m glad to have you along for the ride.

BTW: I like “insane o'clock”… it’s about as good as “0-dark-30”. I may have to add that one to the vocabulary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Oblivious View Post
And even though they are all traveling at the same time as millions upon millions of other people and refusing to alter their schedules, they'll still all blame the DOT for traffic jams! But I'm not bitter or anything.
Accepting responsibility is not very American. As a society, we’re glad to point out the failings and foibles of others (that IS… the American way), but the possibility of even considering… just for a moment or two… that we ourselves… may possibly be, shall we say, ummmm…. less then perfect…

Weeeeelllllllll…

But, it beings two great quotes to mind:
“Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.” – Mark Twain
"We have met the enemy and he is us." – Pogo (Walt Kelly)

Quote:
What's the "other"? Hovercraft? Jitney? One of those two-person push-rail cars?
Thought just maybe you could shed a bit o light on that one. I was hopping it was Magic Carpet or something else as exotic as that, but I suspect it’s a combination of walking, hitch-hiking and parcel post.

Quote:
Speaks well for the student population...
Thanks, I’ll pass that compliment on to the kid that earned it.

School starts midway through August, but band starts in mid July. At the same time that the ball players begin doing two-a-days, these kids start a week and a half of all-days. They work (out in the SC sun & heat) every day during school and three to four hours after school three days out of five. They also give up two to three Saturdays in September for all day rehearsals.

True Story…
On several occasions (and I do mean “several”) various new coaches have recommended to our directors that their kids probably needed to be doing some distance training or weight training to build up their endurance. Our director always meets this suggestion with an invitation for that coach to come out to one of the afternoon rehearsals and see if they can keep up with his “non-athletes”. Most except the challenge, all have at least come out and watched. All of them within an hour of arriving came to the same conclusion… that just maybe some of their kids needed to come out for some extra “band training” to build up their endurance.

There are two groups at school that get it though. The administration staff (because they see them working all afternoon out their windows), and the ROTC officers and cadets (because they’re working out of a similar playbook). Not every program is like this… but both of the schools in our town are, and our kids are the better off for it.
GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-15-2011, 01:58 PM   #18
GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes
DDC 469

Chapter 1: Five Buses
(Day 1 - Monday)

Part 2: Space Management

(Well… then we’ll find a way to make it fit…)

Most anyone that has ever been to a live concert has at least an inkling about the heard of trucks and small army of roadies required to entertain an audience just for an evening. If you or you children have ever been a member of any kind of band or orchestra, then you’ve likely seen first hand that moving a group of musicians from point-a to point-b can be quite the undertaking. For those that have never really had to worry about such bits of minutia, let me take just a minute to show you what I’m on about here.

That last picture is our group of young musicians as they were getting set up to perform during one of this year’s competitions. You’ll notice that on top of having to get 165 kids to this local, we also had to get all the rest of the gear that you see there moved as well. That includes instruments, uniforms, props, hardware, food and even a “gator” (which is cross between a golf cart and a tractor) to move everything around once we arrive. It takes a simi to move most of it and sometimes we need extra trailers as well. Here are some shots of the load out after that particular competition…

Now imagine that you’re going to move the same outfit several hundred miles for a one-week trip using only buses to haul everything (which now also includes clothing and personal items). That’s not something that’s going to happen with out a plan (and a good one for that matter). One thing that helped was that we no longer needed to move any props and we were not bringing any of the xylophones or marimbas. That’s a good thing, but we still needed to pack all the horns, the rest of the drums, uniforms and any other miscellaneous gear that might come handy (and all of this had to get stowed under the buses before any of the luggage could be loaded). How on earth…

Well, we’re pretty lucky to have dedicated volunteers to help with this kind of problem. One of them is a retired engineer who took time to travel over to the bus garage and measure the storage bays on the busses that we were hiring. He then came up with a load plan to best use the space that we had available. That first picture at the top of this post is part of that plan (specifically the one that stuffed the five bass drums, six field-snares and the rest of the percussion into a single bay). Here’s another page from that same playbook…

That’s the plan I was assigned to execute which loaded 26 low brass horns into another one of the bays. It took two more bays just for the tubas, two for the uniforms, another one for the “shakos” (the type of hats that go with our uniforms) and then the rest of the horns and bags had to fit into the space that remained. To pull this off we meet up at the school the day before.

While the kids were going through one last rehearsal…

…we were inside packing everything up.

This is one of those times when “the plan” actually did come together. Once the buses arrived, we had the whole shootin’ match loaded up and everyone aboard in about 45 minutes. Not too shabby.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

Now before we let off he breaks and hit the gas, let me take one more moment of your time to talk about a slightly different kind of space management; the space that will make up this here TR. If you’ve read any of my previous trip reports (and that’s not something that you have to admit to in public), but if you have… then you are aware that from time to time I will through in an aside that has been dubbed: “A Bonus Feature”. These are posts with additional information (or sometimes a free gift) that I decide to toss in along with the rest of the story. There is no rhyme or reason for when these will appear or for the content of said feature. It just depends on what strikes my fancy. As such you’re welcome to ignore them (I mean… how would I know if you do).

But it seems only fair to warn you that with this TR, you will also run across an additional annoyance: “The Flashback”.

This is not just the story of an effort to spend a couple of hours strolling down the middle of several Manhattan thoroughfares. It’s also the story of how we got to this point and the more important work that took place prior to the expedition. These will cover a bit more ground per post then the parts of the actual chapters, but the back-story is just as compelling (well… to me anyway) as the trip to NY. You’ll get the full effect of what these will entail soon enough. Feel free to treat them with the same deference that you’d reserve for the Bonus Features.

I can ask no more then that.

Well… I see that Max has found himself a spot along with the rest of his cohorts on Bus-3 so it must be time to get this circus train off the siding and on down the line. I found that the girls had settled in as well and staked us out a spot about halfway back on Bus-4. So for the next twelve hours or so, my field of vision will pretty muck look like this…

It’s 5:54am… the buses are just about to pull out onto the interstate, and I don’t think we could realistically stuff anything else into these big lumbering land-barges. It must be time to roll.

Old 12-15-2011, 02:19 PM   #19
afwdwfan
DIS Dad #460
You should always make room for a loophole when you need it

Quote:
One of them is a retired engineer who took time to travel over to the bus garage and measure the storage bays on the busses that we were hiring. He then came up with a load plan to best use the space that we had available.
Wow, an engineer was able to come up with a plan to load everything???

and they still can't design a decent road.

Quote:
This is one of those times when “the plan” actually did come together. Once the buses arrived, we had the whole shootin’ match loaded up and everyone aboard in about 45 minutes. Not too shabby.

Quote:
But it seems only fair to warn you that with this TR, you will also run across an additional annoyance: “The Flashback”.
Oh fantastic. You're writing a trip report in the style of LOST. I just hope your TR has a better ending.
afwdwfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 01:37 PM   #20
Captain_Oblivious
DIS Dad #257
Don't underestimate your audience. I'm sure there's a fart joke in here somewhere

Quote:
Accepting responsibility is not very American. As a society, we’re glad to point out the failings and foibles of others (that IS… the American way), but the possibility of even considering… just for a moment or two… that we ourselves… may possibly be, shall we say, ummmm…. less then perfect…

Weeeeelllllllll…

But, it beings two great quotes to mind:
“Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.” – Mark Twain
"We have met the enemy and he is us." – Pogo (Walt Kelly)
It's not very human, let alone American. Hence the Good Lord's instruction about removing the plank in your own eye before worrying about the speck in another's. I still have trouble applying that one.

Quote:
Thought just maybe you could shed a bit o light on that one. I was hopping it was Magic Carpet or something else as exotic as that, but I suspect it’s a combination of walking, hitch-hiking and parcel post.
I like the Magic Carpet idea. I'd say it also includes rocket sleds, guinea-pig-powered rowboats, and traveling by map.

Quote:
True Story…
On several occasions (and I do mean “several”) various new coaches have recommended to our directors that their kids probably needed to be doing some distance training or weight training to build up their endurance. Our director always meets this suggestion with an invitation for that coach to come out to one of the afternoon rehearsals and see if they can keep up with his “non-athletes”. Most except the challenge, all have at least come out and watched. All of them within an hour of arriving came to the same conclusion… that just maybe some of their kids needed to come out for some extra “band training” to build up their endurance.
That's awesome!

Quote:
That includes instruments, uniforms, props, hardware, food and even a “gator” (which is cross between a golf cart and a tractor) to move everything around once we arrive. It takes a simi to move most of it and sometimes we need extra trailers as well. Here are some shots of the load out after that particular competition…
Behind-the-scenes people never, ever get enough credit for what they do.

Quote:
One of them is a retired engineer who took time to travel over to the bus garage and measure the storage bays on the busses that we were hiring. He then came up with a load plan to best use the space that we had available. That first picture at the top of this post is part of that plan (specifically the one that stuffed the five bass drums, six field-snares and the rest of the percussion into a single bay). Here’s another page from that same playbook…
Let's hear it for engineers!

Quote:
Impressive.

I do love it when a plan comes together.

Quote:
If you’ve read any of my previous trip reports (and that’s not something that you have to admit to in public), but if you have… then you are aware that from time to time I will through in an aside that has been dubbed: “A Bonus Feature”.
Really? Hadn't noticed.

Quote:
Cool! Special effects!

As Andy mentioned, it would also be appropriate to use flash-forwards, a la LOST. As long as you don't end up in Purgatory at the end.

Quote:
I found that the girls had settled in as well and staked us out a spot about halfway back on Bus-4. So for the next twelve hours or so, my field of vision will pretty muck look like this…
Hopefully they have some good movies on this bus.
Old 12-20-2011, 09:35 PM   #21
GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes
DDC 469

Quote:

Care to comment of that one Mark?

Quote:
Oh fantastic. You're writing a trip report in the style of LOST. I just hope your TR has a better ending.
Well… I can guarantee that you won’t end up in purgatory.

Actually… I called that one. I watched the pilot episode along with the rest of America, and didn’t find anything that engrossing in the story to begin with. I said that evening that it looked to be pointless to me and I wouldn’t be investing any more time it. Obviously, they’re already dead and we’re just going to watch them work out the end of their lives and determine where each one will end ultimately up. I have witnesses to prove it. I just didn’t expect it to take seven years to be proven right, and I was more disappointed then satisfied to ultimately be correct.

Sad…

Quote:
I like the Magic Carpet idea. I'd say it also includes rocket sleds, guinea-pig-powered rowboats, and traveling by map.
Traveling by map you say… let the adventure begin

Quote:
Behind-the-scenes people never, ever get enough credit for what they do.
No… but that’s not why we’re doing it either, so I guess it’s a bit of a wash.

Quote:
Really? Hadn't noticed.
You need to be paying more attention

Quote:
Hopefully they have some good movies on this bus.
We’ll see….
Old 12-20-2011, 09:48 PM   #22
GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes
DDC 469

Bonus Feature 1:

Jamie Wants Big Boom

For my first Bonus Feature, I’ve decided that it would be best if I were to satisfy a request form one of my more dedicated readers. I have so few dedicated readers that neglecting them would be foolish. But it would be even more foolish to ignore a dang good idea as well. And lets face it… I’m already boring y’all with my little TR on a topic that doesn’t suit the masses and also has precious little to do with Disney in the first place.

So… when Mark requested that I add copious amounts of explosions…

I mean really… just how could I resist such a request.

The first one up there is one of the best compilations from one of my favorite programs that pays regular tribute to the concept of rapid oxidation: Mythbusters.

These folks do such a fine job of mixing, mayhem and science that they really do deserve out attention. And so… we’ll give them some. Here are a few of the more entertaining conflagrations and bits of high-speed disassembly.

First… one of the most famous: The Cement Truck

Next… a look at the exploding water heater. What these puppies lack in the ability to generate a mushroom cloud, they make up for in “elegant carnage”… especially on extreme Slo-Mo.

Well… since I mentioned the concept of mushroom clouds, it seems only fitting that I present you with one. So here you go… one “Big Boom”

An now for something completely different, but just as visually devastating (not to mention: entertaining): Snowplow Evolution. Even Darwin would and been struck dumb by the intensity of this collision.

And nor for something even more completely different… but related… and funny.
That’s a win, win, win in my book.

Y’all enjoy and I’ll put up another part of the actual TR in a little while.

Old 12-20-2011, 09:56 PM   #23
GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes
DDC 469

Flash Back 1:

The Big Reveal

(April 15, 2010)

Now first off… I don’t really expect you to actually watch that video up there. But… if you do (boring though it may be…), then you don’t really need to bother reading my first “Flash Back” post. However, it’s kind’a like choosing between a hanging and a firing squad… the outcome in either case is not particularly good for your continued wellbeing. You may want to choose option “C” and ignore this post completely.

The Process…

The folks that in charge of putting together the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade (and there is an entire department of the company devoted to this exercise) receive reams of applications yearly form different groups that want to take part in this modern American tradition. A lot of them are local groups that apply regularly. A lot more are from farther afield and have either big dreams or an interesting back-story. Either way, there is a lot of paperwork and accompanying film and videos that the organizers have to wade through before coming up with a preliminary list. Generally applications need to be in their hands by the day of the parade to be considered for the one that will kick-off two years from that date.

Along with the balloon volunteers, the troops of clowns and the dance and acrobatic ensembles that want to join in (celebrities are invited and don’t have to apply), one of the largest groups applying are the collage and high school bands. This seems obvious, as bands are traditional parade fair…

The trick is that while several hundred will apply annually, only about ten will be accepted in any one year, and… they’re mighty picky about the ones they choose.

The Art of Rejection…

It’s that last tidbit back there, that “picky-ness” thing, which lead our teaching staff to put in an application in the first place. Their intention was not to be selected, but rather to be turned down.

Now why on earth would you want to be turned away?

Answer: to get the critique documents. Here… let me explain a bit farther.

Nation Ford HS opened as a school in 2007 with just freshmen, sophomores and juniors (a fairly common practice for new high schools). This was a bit traumatic, as our little town has had only one high school for the prior century or so years. But growth in the whole area had reached the point where two schools had become a necessity. Like all other aspects of the school, the music program was a work in progress. That being said, they had accomplished much in two years including: two second place finishes in the marching seasons (while also taking 1st place in the music performance categories both times), two consecutive superior ratings in the spring concert festivals, high percentages of students earning spots in the region and state honors bands, and two consecutive OBA’s (SC Outstanding Band Award) and that last one takes everything else into consideration and is not easily achieved. At the time the application was turned in (one quarter of the way through their third year) they’d added to that list: a state championship in the 2009 marching season and a respectable first appearance in a national marching competition (competing against 97 other programs from across the country; three quarters of which were two to three times the size of our school).

All that sounds impressive, but there is still a lot of room for continued growth and improvement. The more you expect out of your kids… the more they will produce. There are very few parents (much less teachers) that will disagree with this.

By submitting applications to a national or international caliber events, those organizers and judges will do you the favor of explaining the points where they believe you can improve your program. They’ll tell you exactly what kind of standards you should be aiming for and what type of items need to appear on you résumé. That’s useful info for a staff that is trying to build the best music program possible. It’s basically a checklist of the kind of activities and accomplishments that will garner your program national attention and a road map of the things you’ll need to do to get there.

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

So it was with no more then a goal of getting a few opinions in mind that the directors submitted an application in late November of 2009 (just under the deadline wire) and then just got back to business. There was a lot to do yet in the spring of 2010. We didn’t expect to hear back form that selection process for a while as our understanding was that the “Thanks for Applying” notices generally go out in late April or May. But that’s not the way it turned out. Instead of the critique list we wanted… A fell’a showed up and said that the kind of production and growth that our kids had shown in 2.5 years was phenomenal; especially for a school with a medium sized student body from a smaller town. Given these assets, the Macy’s folks wanted to invite us to bring the kids up to be part of the 85 anniversary Thanksgiving Day Parade in November of 2011.

That’s the Good! Now there’s the bad. Well… really it’s the unfortunate. It was the current group of upper-classmen that did the bulk of the work it took to get to this point. These kids would be graduating and heading of to collage in barely two months. Needless to say… they were heading on toward bigger and better things, and weren’t going to be able to be part of this little party. For the most part, these kids were good with that. They’d had a great run, they’d just been on a major trip this past year, and it was time to move on. In general they may have been just a little disappointed, but mostly they were happy for the younger folks.

So all was right with the world… right? Nope. We had a problem. This was where the ugly came in. To be able to pull this off… we needed to get busy right now on the process of raising the funds needed to pull it off. On the up side we had about a year and a half to get it put together. The whole process was going to require a concerted effort one the part of all the kids. Especially the rising seniors…

who themselves would be graduating…

in 2011…

in June of 2011…

Ummmm… “Huston, we’ve had a problem”.

Now that’s just not right!

Like the current seniors, the junior class was instrumental (yah I said it… go ahead and take your shots at it), in accomplishing the goals that got us invited in the first place. The first thing that took place after the invitation was received, was a meeting between the directors and the administration to figure out a way to have a senior trip up to NY for the kids in the class of 2011. To the credit of our principal and her staff… they immediately agreed that this was both fitting and proper and that it would be done.

So now… All was right with the world

Last edited by GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes; 12-20-2011 at 10:10 PM.
Old 12-21-2011, 07:57 AM   #24
afwdwfan
DIS Dad #460
You should always make room for a loophole when you need it

Quote:
Bonus Feature 1:

Jamie Wants Big Boom
KABOOOOM!!!!

Quote:
Generally applications need to be in their hands by the day of the parade to be considered for the one that will kick-off two years from that date.
Wow, I have a hard time just planning 2 days in advance.

Quote:
Now why on earth would you want to be turned away?

Answer: to get the critique documents. Here… let me explain a bit farther.
Hmmm... interesting concept.

Quote:
Given these assets, the Macy’s folks wanted to invite us to bring the kids up to be part of the 85 anniversary Thanksgiving Day Parade in November of 2011.
Looks like somebody screwed up and did too good of a job on the application.

Quote:
That’s the Good! Now there’s the bad. Well… really it’s the unfortunate. It was the current group of upper-classmen that did the bulk of the work it took to get to this point.
It's a shame that they missed out... at least they can take pride in the fact that they were the foundation upon which a top tier program was built.

Quote:
So all was right with the world… right? Nope. We had a problem. This was where the ugly came in. To be able to pull this off… we needed to get busy right now on the process of raising the funds needed to pull it off.
Money... why does it always have to be a limiting factor in everything?

Quote:
The first thing that took place after the invitation was received, was a meeting between the directors and the administration to figure out a way to have a senior trip up to NY for the kids in the class of 2011. To the credit of our principal and her staff… they immediately agreed that this was both fitting and proper and that it would be done.
When did that trip take place? Was it for the entire senior class or just the band?
afwdwfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 12:50 PM   #25
Captain_Oblivious
DIS Dad #257

Quote:
So… when Mark requested that I add copious amounts of explosions…

I mean really… just how could I resist such a request.
<---Tears of joy

I don't know how I can thank you enough! You picked some of my all-time favorite episodes, too. The water heater one is an all-time classic. It's so rare when a myth is not only confirmed, but confirmed in such spectacular fashion. And the rocket sled has a special place in my heart as well.

Quote:
Generally applications need to be in their hands by the day of the parade to be considered for the one that will kick-off two years from that date.
I can see why you were helpful in this regard--it's like making ADR's at Disney World!

Quote:
It’s that last tidbit back there, that “picky-ness” thing, which lead our teaching staff to put in an application in the first place. Their intention was not to be selected, but rather to be turned down.
Sounds counter-intuitive, but your explanation makes a lot of sense.

Quote:
The more you expect out of your kids… the more they will produce. There are very few parents (much less teachers) that will disagree with this.
If only more practiced that philosophy...

Quote:
Given these assets, the Macy’s folks wanted to invite us to bring the kids up to be part of the 85 anniversary Thanksgiving Day Parade in November of 2011.

Quote:
Well… really it’s the unfortunate. It was the current group of upper-classmen that did the bulk of the work it took to get to this point. These kids would be graduating and heading of to collage in barely two months. Needless to say… they were heading on toward bigger and better things, and weren’t going to be able to be part of this little party.
That is a shame. I guess they knew ahead of time they were applying for 2011, though.

Quote:
The first thing that took place after the invitation was received, was a meeting between the directors and the administration to figure out a way to have a senior trip up to NY for the kids in the class of 2011. To the credit of our principal and her staff… they immediately agreed that this was both fitting and proper and that it would be done.
Ultra-classy move right there.
Old 12-21-2011, 12:52 PM   #26
Captain_Oblivious
DIS Dad #257

Quote:

I think farming has been around eons longer than road engineering, and yet they STILL haven't found a way to make vegetables taste good.
Old 12-21-2011, 01:55 PM   #27
FreezinRafiki
DDC 322
Cold enough for ya?
Shocking, isn't it. Oh, wait, thats a taser

Ok, Rob. I've caught up on my trip report, and I've found time to catch up on some others, namely yours. I'll be the first to admit that I'm not a band geek by any stretch of the imagination. I took up the trumpet for about 4 months in 5th grade and that was that. But, having watched my girlfriend (whom I eventually got around to marrying) perform in the marching band, I know the effort that goes into the production. Of course, she played the flute so her equipment load was significantly lighter.

Anyway, congratulations to the Nation Ford (is he any relation to Gerald Ford?) High School Band! I can't wait to read about the rest of the adventure!
Old 12-25-2011, 11:05 AM   #28
GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes
DDC 469

Merry Christmas

Trombone Tony decided to drop by this morning and wish all y’all a very merry Christmas!

And just maybe I’ll get a little bit more of this here TR put some time this week end as well
Old 12-26-2011, 09:12 AM   #29
GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes
DDC 469

Quote:
KABOOOOM!!!!
Gesundheit! And your welcome.

Quote:
Wow, I have a hard time just planning 2 days in advance.
So do we… like everything else in life… we just sort of muddled through.

Quote:
Hmmm... interesting concept.
The folks in charge of the program are very creative and very good at what they do.

Quote:
Looks like somebody screwed up and did too good of a job on the application.
You might say that. It’s certainly not the result we were anticipating.

Quote:
It's a shame that they missed out... at least they can take pride in the fact that they were the foundation upon which a top tier program was built.
Very true… on both counts. It will be interesting to see what adventures they head off on after Max graduates.

Quote:
Money... why does it always have to be a limiting factor in everything?
If I could come up with an answer to that one…
Well…

I just wish I could come up with an answer to that one.

Quote:
When did that trip take place? Was it for the entire senior class or just the band?
This was for the rising seniors (juniors at the time of the announcement). They took about thirty of them up during the Spring break (March 2011) and from all accounts, they had a marvelous time. It also gave the staff and some of the chaperones a chance to figure out how some aspects of the larger trip might play out.

Last edited by GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes; 12-26-2011 at 09:27 AM.
Old 12-26-2011, 09:24 AM   #30
GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes
DDC 469

Quote:
<---Tears of joy
And you are welcome sir. As one of my mentors in the “art of TR construction”, it seemed only proper that I honor such a perfectly reasonable request.

Quote:
I can see why you were helpful in this regard--it's like making ADR's at Disney World!
There was much about this entire expedition that was reminiscent of a trip to WDW.

Much…

Quote:
Sounds counter-intuitive, but your explanation makes a lot of sense.
I will say this a lot in the confines of this TR, but the directors, support staff and administration at this school are amongst the finest folks working in public education. They all deserve better then to be political punching bags.

Quote:
If only more practiced that philosophy...

Quote:
That is a shame. I guess they knew ahead of time they were applying for 2011, though.
We knew… everyone applying has the same problem. If you’re accepted, it will be for the festivities at least eighteen months into the future. We try to do some type of major trip every other year so that there are opportunities for every young’en to experience something new and be able to perform somewhere other then home.

Quote:
Ultra-classy move right there.
Ultra Classy lady… our principal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreezinRafiki View Post
Ok, Rob. I've caught up on my trip report, and I've found time to catch up on some others, namely yours. I'll be the first to admit that I'm not a band geek by any stretch of the imagination. I took up the trumpet for about 4 months in 5th grade and that was that. But, having watched my girlfriend (whom I eventually got around to marrying) perform in the marching band, I know the effort that goes into the production. Of course, she played the flute so her equipment load was significantly lighter.
Well as another of my mentors in the “art of TR” I’m certainly glad to have you along. Like my TR on cruising, this one is meant to be “instructional”. You don’t have to “get it” to read along, and if I do this correctly, everyone will “get it” or at least understand it by the time I arrive at the end. Who knows, one or all of your young’ens may have additional musical talents just waiting to be pulled out by one or another fine teacher of the arts (sounds to me like it’s in your family’s blood already). Before you know it, you yourself my well be sitting in a booster club meeting of some type saying… “They're going where… to do what… Really!?!?”

After the panic subsides, it’s actually quite the rush.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreezinRafiki View Post
Anyway, congratulations to the Nation Ford (is he any relation to Gerald Ford?) High School Band!

Hummm… I know your just being “Barry” here, but you’ve stumbled onto a point of frustration for us. We have a hard time getting people to even say the name of the school correctly, much less understand why it’s called what it’s called (and there is history involved so folks naturally tune out once you try to explain). I may have to add one of my dreaded Bonuses Features on this topic...

(My... but that little joke may now prove to be costly )

Last edited by GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes; 12-26-2011 at 06:02 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: