Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2011, 10:10 AM   #46
Buzzsgramma
DIS Veteran

Believe me Mike they will be contacting you at some point...it may even be after you get back home.....
Buzzsgramma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 10:53 AM   #47
2binak
DVC Owner

Beautiful pictures! I'm so sorry to hear about your wife's illness, especially after you took the trouble to explain to the chef what caused the reaction the 1st time. I'm glad she's recovering & that the folks at the Contemporary are taking good care of her.

11/90 Offsite, 11/97 PO, 5/99 DL, 1/00 CS, 1/04 PC, 12/05 SSR, 5/07 AKL, 10/08 SSR, 5/09 POFQ, 11/09 AKV Kidani, 11/10 AKV Kidani, 10/11 BWV, 10/12 BWV, 11/13 AKV Kidani, 5/14 BLT, 11/14 BWV
2binak is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-07-2011, 10:55 AM   #48
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

Mike, I found this information that may be a help to you and others who have restricted dietary needs. http://glutenfreetravelsite.com/featured200908.php

Bill

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 11:27 AM   #49
DVC Mike

DVC Member @ BLT, VGC, VWL, BWV, BCV

Here are some shots I took at the Wilderness Lodge before our dinner at Artist Point last night.

The first one is a composite of three different exposures. It came out all right; it's the best I could do in the late afternoon.

DM_20111206_162844_4_01_5 by DVC Mike, on Flickr

DM_20111206_192637 by DVC Mike, on Flickr

DM_20111206_193619 by DVC Mike, on Flickr

And a couple of shots after dinner:

DM_20111206_195026 by DVC Mike, on Flickr

DM_20111206_194753 by DVC Mike, on Flickr

Bay Lake Tower, Boardwalk Villas, and Villas at the Grand Floridian

DVC Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 11:28 AM   #50
DVC Mike

I visited the Magic Kingdom again this morning. The tree is up.

DM_20111207_090436 by DVC Mike, on Flickr

and the gifts are underneath

DM_20111207_090649 by DVC Mike, on Flickr

A shot of Tom Sawyer’s Island

DM_20111207_091559 by DVC Mike, on Flickr

Splash Mountain

DM_20111207_091848 by DVC Mike, on Flickr

DM_20111207_091940 by DVC Mike, on Flickr

Big Thunder Mountain

DM_20111207_092733 by DVC Mike, on Flickr

Old 12-07-2011, 11:36 AM   #51
DVC Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckryan View Post
Quick question about pictures. I think I'm going to pick up a DSLR for Christmas this year, and I wanted to ask about your pictures and your post-processing. I looked at the info on the GF photo you just posted, and it said that you used Photoshop. Did you do a lot of adjusting on it with Photoshop, or was it pretty much out-of-camera? I'm trying to decide if I need to go ahead and delve into PS along with my DSLR. I've just been doing compact and bridge camera shots with minimal editing. Taking the leap back to a SLR (had a K1000 film camera back in the day before computers!) and getting sucked in scares me! LOL Thanks!
I shoot RAW (Nikon's NEF) instead of JPEG. I used to shoot JPEG and post straight from the Camera. Now, I pull the RAW photo into Lightroom (aka Adobe Photoshop Lightroom), which let's me organize (keyword) my photos. I spend a couple minutes on each photo, sharpening them, modifying the tone curve to increase contrast, or maybe even cropping them a bit. I don't use Adobe Photoshop CS5, as that's overkill for me.

I'd recommend Adobe Lightroom or Apple Aperture for any DSLR user who wants to organize and process their photos (such as adding a watermark). Both are much less expensive than Photoshop.

Old 12-07-2011, 01:06 PM   #52
mckryan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVC Mike View Post
I shoot RAW (Nikon's NEF) instead of JPEG. I used to shoot JPEG and post straight from the Camera. Now, I pull the RAW photo into Lightroom (aka Adobe Photoshop Lightroom), which let's me organize (keyword) my photos. I spend a couple minutes on each photo, sharpening them, modifying the tone curve to increase contrast, or maybe even cropping them a bit. I don't use Adobe Photoshop CS5, as that's overkill for me.

I'd recommend Adobe Lightroom or Apple Aperture for any DSLR user who wants to organize and process their photos (such as adding a watermark). Both are much less expensive than Photoshop.
Thank you so much! I'd much rather spend the $$ on hardware instead of software! =) I've been a fan of your pictures for a while, and I appreciate you sharing them with us!
mckryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 02:11 PM   #53
DVC Mike

It’s a lovely 81 degrees outside with a beautiful blue sky. How is the weather where you are at today?

DM_20111207_143732 by DVC Mike, on Flickr

Old 12-07-2011, 02:18 PM   #54
mckryan
DIS Veteran

Cold, drizzly and windy here in GA. I would much rather be in WDW!
mckryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 03:22 PM   #55
emlutz23
Mickey Marathoner

It was warm and drizzly this morning...now it's cold and drizzly! Which means I'm REALLY looking forward to our next DVC trip!

I love your pics! I have the Nikon D5100 and I really need to brush up on my pic taking/editing skills b/c my pics aren't nearly as awesome as yours! Looking forward to more!
Old 12-07-2011, 04:06 PM   #56
spiceycat
Own at BWV, VWL and BLT
It happens every night on the Bay Lake side

so sorry your wife went though that.

that is one reason most of my meals are in my room/villa. when I cook it - I know what is in it.

have several food allergies - but my worse is pepper. Can have wheat - but not oaks, rye or barley. yea know strange.

my pepper reaction is like hers to gluten - it takes my body between 48 and 72 hours to get the pepper out and until then - no leaving the room.

since disney is almost advertising their gluten free menus - would definitely call the person who you talk when you have a food allergy - okay don't remember her name - but hopefully someone will be along shortly with it.

another one of my problems probably won't effective you. the chefs have to wash everything down before they start my non-pepper order and if they forget and do add pepper - they have to start the process over. So even little things can take a while. waited once for eggs for over an hour...

so now mostly avoid the resturants. believe it or not the best allergy service I ever got was at Pop century food court and the Comtemporary food court

at least can smell pepper - it is just about impossible to smell gluten.

love your pictures!

spiceycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 04:22 PM   #57
nunzia
You can't top pigs with pigs, but you CAN top Toys with Toys

Quote:
Here are some shots I took at the Wilderness Lodge before our dinner at Artist Point last night.

The first one is a composite of three different exposures. It came out all right; it's the best I could do in the late afternoon.

DM_20111206_162844_4_01_5 by DVC Mike, on Flickr

DM_20111206_192637 by DVC Mike, on Flickr

DM_20111206_193619 by DVC Mike, on Flickr

And a couple of shots after dinner:

DM_20111206_195026 by DVC Mike, on Flickr

DM_20111206_194753 by DVC Mike, on Flickr
oh wow..those waterfall shots!!
Hope your wife is feeling better!
Old 12-07-2011, 06:39 PM   #58
spleen
Mouseketeer

Quote:

First off, glad to hear that your wife is feeling better.

I noticed on your GF shot that the EXIF says that it was taken at 1/15th second. Did you handhold that shot or are you using a tripod? If you're handholding, my hat is off to you! Love the crispness of the shot and the mood of that predawn atmosphere.
Old 12-07-2011, 06:45 PM   #59
DVC Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen View Post
First off, glad to hear that your wife is feeling better.

I noticed on your GF shot that the EXIF says that it was taken at 1/15th second. Did you handhold that shot or are you using a tripod? If you're handholding, my hat is off to you! Love the crispness of the shot and the mood of that predawn atmosphere.
Yep, the shot of the Grand Floridian after dawn was shot using a tripod. No way could I shoot handheld at 1/15th of a second.

Old 12-07-2011, 09:08 PM   #60
DVC Mike

We had dinner at Jiko tonight. It was nice to see the Christmas tree and decorations.

The menu at Jiko has changed since the last time we were there. While the filet mignon with mac&cheese wasn't on the menu (it now comes with sweet corn risotto), you can still order it (which I did).

Interestingly, after we talked with the manager at the Contemporary and Guest Claims about Flying Fish, we had the head chef come out at both Artist Point last night and Jiko tonight.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: