Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2011, 12:06 PM   #16
thepops
DIS Veteran

Great Shot! Thanks Mike.
Old 12-05-2011, 12:37 PM   #17
nolanboys
DIS Veteran

What great shots. Really helping me get in the mood for Christmas, although the 20 days til shot got me a little anxious....so much to do! Enjoy your trip. Can't wait to see more.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-05-2011, 01:33 PM   #18
Harlemgirl720
DIS Veteran

You take such amazing photos. I am getting so excited. 17 days to go.

Harlemgirl720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 03:24 PM   #19
Greyhound22
Mouseketeer

Color me jealous...have a great time Mike. My family went last Christmas and I'd advise all Disney lovers to try and get there at least once. LOVELY!!!

Happiness is having a large, loving, caring, close-knit family in another city." -George Burns
Me DW DD15::::: DD13
Greyhound22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 03:31 PM   #20
spiceycat
Own at BWV, VWL and BLT
It happens every night on the Bay Lake side

great to heard from you again!!!

hope your BLT vacation is amazing as always.

did you like BCV for the food/wine festavial?

great pictures!

spiceycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 05:03 PM   #21
wulfekamp
Mouseketeer

I live for DVC Mike reports
Old 12-05-2011, 08:18 PM   #22
Rest&Relax
Ears at Rest

Great pics!

Looking forward to our arrival in 4 days. Hopefully the weather holds out and stays great for stay.
Rest&Relax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 08:48 PM   #23
DVC Mike

DVC Member @ BLT, VGC, VWL, BWV, BCV

Paramedics took my wife to the Celebration Hospital due a less than magical experience at Disney. It was a virtual repeat of a poor Disney experience we had just 6 weeks ago on our last trip.

Back on October 27, when we were staying at BCV, we dined at Flying Fish Café on the Boardwalk. It is my wife’s favorite restaurant at Walt Disney World. My wife has an extreme intolerance of gluten – a protein found in wheat, rye and barley. When we make all our dining reservations, we clearly indicate her food allergies. When we arrive at the restaurant, we always speak to the chef about her severe intolerance of gluten and what it does to her. If her food contains gluten, she gets violently ill – including constant vomiting and diarrhea for hours – leaving her severely dehydrated and needing intravenous fluids. Believe me, it’s not fun.

Well, when the chef prepared her food at the Flying Fish Café on Oct 27, he mistakenly used vinegar that contained gluten. That night, she was very sick all night, and by the morning she was too weak to move. The manager of the Beach Club resort called the paramedics, and we spent a day at Celebration Hospital. It was not a very magical time.

So, when we returned to Flying Fish Café tonight, we spoke of this very incident that had occurred just six weeks earlier, and we stressed how no vinegar be used in the preparation of her food. Chef Tim said he would ensure it would not happen this time.

But it happened again – the very same thing. Chef Tim prepared some vegetables with vinegar. After about half of her meal had been eaten, the chef came by and asked how she liked it. She asked about what sauce he used on one of her vegetables. When he became red-faced and said it contained vinegar, my wife rushed to the restroom to purge herself of her dinner. But it was too late, and paramedics were soon called and took her from the Boardwalk to Celebration Hospital.

She’s still there now. After spending hours the last time waiting in the room with her, she asked me to head back to our room at BLT. I’m hoping she might be ready to be released later tonight, or if not, by tomorrow morning.

I’m disappointed that Disney cannot take better care in preparation of her meals. Yes, I know they still do a pretty fine job accommodating everyone’s food allergies, but that’s not much solace to my poor wife, who instead of enjoying her vacation is very ill, laying in a hospital bed receiving intravenous fluids.

So, trip report interrupted…

My DVC Home Resorts: Bay Lake Tower, Boardwalk Villas, and Villas at the Grand Floridian

DVC Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 09:05 PM   #24
jekjones1558
Always happy at Disney

OMG. I am NOT one to expect any kind of compensation for inconveniences but this is clearly NEGLIGENCE. No excuse for this. You gave the chef exact warnings and the chef blew it. I don't know who should be contacted but hopefully someone else who knows will post. Your wife deserves a major consideration. I am sure there are attorneys who would be more than willing to file in the courts on her behalf if Disney does not try to make this up to her. Geez. So sorry this happened, Mike.
Old 12-05-2011, 09:08 PM   #25
ratherbe@Disney
I'm going through Disney withdrawal!

Oh no, that is horrible! I feel so sorry for you both. I'm familiar with people in our family with gluten allergies, but nothing to that extent. I hope she can be as comfortable as possible and makes a speedy recovery.
ratherbe@Disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 09:09 PM   #26
Rochester Disney Fan
Mouseketeer

I feel so bad for you and your wife. I hope she feels better .

Rochester Disney Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 09:26 PM   #27
jade1
If your lucky enough to live on the lake, your lucky enough.

I couldn't even believe I was reading that-how horrible and such an unecessary mistake, poor thing.
Old 12-05-2011, 10:08 PM   #28
toniosmom
AKV, BCV, BLT Owner!

I just LOVE your photos. We were at BLT last year at the same time and loved it.

Sorry to hear about your wife. I can't believe after explaining what had happened in October, the chef STILL screwed up. Unbelievable. I hope she recovers quickly enough to enjoy the rest of your vacation.

1974 - Offsite 1976 - Offsite 1997 - Dixie Landings 1998 - Offsite 2008 - All Star Movies - Became new DVC member! March 2009 - SSR - First DVC Vacation!
March 2010 - AKV-Kidani Dec 2010 - BLT Christmas Trip April 2011 - BCV Nov 2011- BWV/DCL Dream March 2013 - BLT/DCL Dream April 2014 - VGF/DCL Dream Sept 2014 - VWL
toniosmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 11:24 PM   #29
rascalmom
Business trips should include a little Disney
Boomer Sooner! Boomer Sooner! Go OU!
My middle name is Gullible!

Oh - I am SO sorry to hear about your wife's troubles. I have a severe fish allergy and know how miserable a reaction can make you feel and how dangerous it can be. It is one of the reasons we vacation so often at WDW - they have normally been so accommodating to my needs (not even a hint of Worcestershire can be in my food).

I agree with jekjones1558 - Disney needs to make this right; this is an inexcusable mistake.
FW 74, 76, DI 83, CBR 99, OKW 00, Polynesian 01, CR-GV NYE O1/Jan 02, CR-Tower MK View May/June 02, ASMo/OKW July 03, OKW July 04, HRH 10/04, WL Concierge/SSR March 05, OKW June 05, SSR Christmas 2006. SSR July 2007, DL GCH March 2009, OKW May 2011, HRH/BLT Theme Park View March 2012
rascalmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 11:28 PM   #30
jade1
If your lucky enough to live on the lake, your lucky enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rascalmom View Post
I agree with jekjones1558 - Disney needs to make this right; this is an inexcusable mistake.
Same-esp someone that is as dedicated to WDW as Mike and fam. I would go so far as night in the castle if up to me.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: