Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Other Lands > Australia
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2011, 09:17 PM   #46
maryr1oz
Mouseketeer

Can't wait to see and read more, hope you guys continue having a great trip!

2014 - Hong Kong Disneyland - Photo Thread - 2012 - Disneyland Paris -Newport Bay Club - Better late than never? - 2009 - Disneyland - Desert Inn and Suites - 2007 - Disneyland - Anaheim Plaza Inn - 2005 - Disneyland - Super 8 on Katella - 1998 - Disneyland Paris - Hotel Santa Fe
maryr1oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 09:27 PM   #47
areweindisneyyet
DIS Veteran

What we didn't pack...

Now I know that I left packing to the last minute but we did deliberately pack light knowing that we would shop. DH was the worst so it was a case of shop or nothing for him to wear the next day.

After waking and grabbing Starbucks downstairs we caught the bus to Ala Moana for breakfast at the food court before shopping. We all went to start with to get some ideas from the children for Christmas.

In Macy's DD2 wrote a letter to Santa to again remind him that he could find us at Disneyland.

She also fell in love with Harry Potter Lego at the Lego Store. It was the saddest thing you have every seen. Clinging to the box. Sure hope they have them in Anaheim when we get there.

Grandpa and Grandpa took them back to the pool and we DH and I got down to some serious shopping. We stopped at Panda Express for Orange Chicken for lunch before more work. Shorts, shirts, socks, jackets, togs... it was never ending. For a non shopper like DH it was extreme torture.

We returned to the hotel at 5pm. We got changed for dinner and as we headed it out it poured with rain. Grandpa suggested the Bali Steakhouse on site. Would have taken photos but not really appropriate. Wedding parties all around us. Grandma and DD1 had Fish and Chips which DD1 did not eat and grandma couldn't blame her. A really strong taste. DH had the steak and lobster. He just loved it, Grandpa had the Bali Seafood Medley which disappeared. I had a Hawaiian chicken which was lovely. It would have been great if we had planned on going there, however it was a bit of shock and we all probably did not quite get into the right frame of mind to enjoy. The view of the water was beautiful. A lovely place for a romantic or special meal, not a quick meal for hungry tired people.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-13-2011, 11:21 PM   #48
alicia1506
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by areweindisneyyet View Post
. DH wanted an iced coffee. Not thinking well he got this:rotfl 2:

And yes it tasted as bad as it looks.
omg, the same happened to Carlo in NYC. went to the lobby bar & ordered an iced coffee. paid up front, then got handed a cup of hot coffee which had been poured over ice. he tasted it, and made such a grotesque face. trina then was like... wait, i need a photo of that... gets out the camera and demands he try it again.. and he did blech.

hope he manages to find a real 'iced coffee' somewhere. carlo learnt to ask for an iced frappucino or iced mochacino, lol.

that last shot of the sun & the palms and the beach? swoon!!! so gorgeous. hope you're having an amazing time

me (alicia): dbf (carlo):
2011 vacation - Of Mice, and Wizards and Pirates, oh my!

2013 trip - 3 castles and a Disney boat - a work in progress
alicia1506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 11:42 PM   #49
areweindisneyyet
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by alicia1506 View Post
omg, the same happened to Carlo in NYC. went to the lobby bar & ordered an iced coffee. paid up front, then got handed a cup of hot coffee which had been poured over ice. he tasted it, and made such a grotesque face. trina then was like... wait, i need a photo of that... gets out the camera and demands he try it again.. and he did blech.

hope he manages to find a real 'iced coffee' somewhere. carlo learnt to ask for an iced frappucino or iced mochacino, lol.

that last shot of the sun & the palms and the beach? swoon!!! so gorgeous. hope you're having an amazing time
Thanks Alicia

He has his American coffee ordering back on track now. He should know better. He describes it more as left cold in the pot all day and then poured over ice.

We just got back from walking along the beach to dinner and watched the sun drop into the ocean... a camera was not to be had between any of us, the phone was even on charge in the room. Tomorrow night I shall capture the moment.

We are really unwinding and relaxing which is great. Three more nights here before we head to Aulani for some pre Mickey training and then DL here we come. Not really worrying when that will happy, just loving the day to day of here. My head is already working out how to come back
Old 12-13-2011, 11:54 PM   #50
Ms. Shuttergirl
DIS Veteran

You really are being naughty forgetting the camera but I'm so happy you are relaxing lots. Sometimes these holidays of ours are more marathons than relaxing so it's good that you are slowing down and enjoying yourself.

Oct 2009 Disneyland - stayed at Disneyland Hotel
Sept/Oct 2010 WDW - split stay Wilderness Lodge/POP Century - Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2559987

PTR Christmas 2012 - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2979947
TR WDW/US/Canada Christmas trip 2012 - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3030550
Ms. Shuttergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 12:08 AM   #51
areweindisneyyet
DIS Veteran

Sunday - Honolulu Marathon

Today was the day to head along Waikiki and spend some time at the beach. We walked along Kalakaua Avenue down towards the Diamond Head end of the beach.

DD2 enjoyed stopping at the lights to read the Hawaiian words set in the paving with their meaning. She is a visual child and loved stopping to watch a man weave hats and other creations on the street as we wandered along.

We reached the International Market Place and in we went. DD1 spotted Water Ball Activity. Well that was it. Well we have never laughed so hard at our little guinea pigs. For $10 each it was a great 20 minutes of entertainment not only for us but for all walking past and them too. They certainly drummed up some business.

By now the call of the beach (and the nagging of children) was too much, so we bought some towels from the friendly ABC Store and headed across the street.

At last heaven, I was on first watch.

The girls entering the water and finally

My view from the towel,

Just heaven. We had lots of fun throwing around a ball, watching schools of fish and crabs swimming around. The Honolulu Marathon had been on so lots of runners were walking back to their hotels with their bright orange finisher shirts on. Many stopped to dip their toes into the water.

Mid afternoon we headed back to your hotel with the mindset of heading back to the Cheesecake Factory for dinner. We walked back to find that we would have a 1.5 hour wait. The girls were very tired and so Grandpa took us back to Denny's (we sense a theme developing). I was very naughty and ate Red Velvet Dumplings and had a piece of Pumpkin Pie for dessert. Just yummy.

After dinner the girls on a sugar high from dessert decided on a late night swim which was lots of fun, listening to the band, with firelit torches, a lounge chair and the pool almost to themselves.

Another wonderful day...
Old 12-14-2011, 12:16 AM   #52
alicia1506
DIS Veteran

wow, that trip sounds amazing. and it makes me want to go lie down and relax!

sounds like you're having the time of your lives. those water ball thingys looked like heaps of fun.

me (alicia): dbf (carlo):
2011 vacation - Of Mice, and Wizards and Pirates, oh my!

2013 trip - 3 castles and a Disney boat - a work in progress
alicia1506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 12:21 AM   #53
areweindisneyyet
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by alicia1506 View Post
wow, that trip sounds amazing. and it makes me want to go lie down and relax!

sounds like you're having the time of your lives. those water ball thingys looked like heaps of fun.
Our trip in April was on the go all the time which was great and we loved but this one was all about stopping and unwinding with no major plans, just possibilities. So far so good....

Off to have a cocktail with DH.

Will be back soon with more...

Mia
Old 12-14-2011, 02:48 AM   #54
WAMUMOF4
DIS Veteran

Oh My gosh it all looks so nice another place to add to the bucket list it looks so relaxing
iced coffee and hot tea they just don't get the concept real well do they
Old 12-14-2011, 03:30 AM   #55
lovintheland
Mouseketeer

Your post is making me even more excited for our trip in four weeks. Was showing DS 14 the photos before and he said to me "I'm so excited mum". I am too. Was telling DD 11 about your trip to Ala Moana and how you had Panda Express orange chicken for lunch and she yelled excitedly "do they have one there?" I said yes that's actually the first place we ever ate it, in the food court at Ala Moana. Think she's forgotten that one but remembers it from Anaheim. We've had it for dinner on our last to Disney trips. Can't wait to read more. What is the temperature like? You also have me pricing the Hilton Hawaiian Village (in my dreams) thought we could do it maybe two out of our 12 nights but that's just silly and then DS said "Why are you worried about having a waterslide when there's a beach right there?". Good point but I do love me a waterslide
lovintheland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 04:03 PM   #56
OziJo
Mouseketeer

Thank you for the beautiful pics. Sounds like you are having a great trip.

Oh I can't wait for Hawaii! Don't get me wrong I am looking forward to our WDW and WWoHP Adventure but our 10 days in Honolulu right on the beach is the real holiday.

Wonderful time at Fort wilderness- A mini TR with Pictures

My Jan 2012 PTR. We Are Coming from the Land Down Under!

Jan 2012 WDW Fort Wilderness Cabins DH DD1/18 DD2/15 DD3/13 and Me
2009 Disneyland with DH & DD1,2 & 3; 2001 Disneyland DD1 with her DGma and dance troupe; 1992 Disneyland with DH & DD1 an unknown passenger after our European trip.
OziJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 01:08 PM   #57
areweindisneyyet
DIS Veteran

Off to Aulani this morning

Our two cases have become five and we are off to Aulani this morning.

Getting a little excited. Shall update this evening.
Old 12-18-2011, 04:15 AM   #58
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

Sorry I've been MIA!!!

Your trip sounds a perfect dream so far and you have the pictures to match. Hope Aulani turns out to be all you wished and planned for.

Iced Coffee???? Really?? I had no idea that there was such a thing as coffee in the US.

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, Jan 2011 and Nov 2012 Another Mad Dash TR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 08:51 AM   #59
areweindisneyyet
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
Sorry I've been MIA!!!

Your trip sounds a perfect dream so far and you have the pictures to match. Hope Aulani turns out to be all you wished and planned for.

Iced Coffee???? Really?? I had no idea that there was such a thing as coffee in the US.
Good Coffee, oh how I dream...

The price you pay.... Aulani is wonderful, uploading some photos now.

Glad you are back from MIA!!!!

Mia
Old 12-18-2011, 09:16 AM   #60
areweindisneyyet
DIS Veteran

Another Day of Shopping

We did start the day on the beach, with Grandpa and DH taking the girls out on paddle bikes. The girls had seen them on day one and would not stop asking so check OFF THE LIST. Hardwork but they did have fun. Grandma and I watched sitting with our backs against a palm tree.

The girls have also wanted to try snorkelling so we went and bought some cheap ones from the ABC Store for $12 instead of hiring them. We left them with the boys at the pool lagoon and back to Ala Moana went Grandma and I.

A successful mission with Christmas just about wrapped up. One more trip should do it so that I can actually think about me. So self centred I know. The plan was to do this after dinner.

DH phoned to say that he was leaving the hotel and on his way to meet as at Ala Moana to try Bubba Gump's for dinner. Fingers crossed they all like it. I tried to get the girls to watch Forrest Gump before we left but no.

Awesome feed with an awesome server, I think a server can really make or break your experience. He sat at the table with us to take our orders and played Forrest Gump trivia with us.

DH had the crab stuffed shrimp and they were beautiful. We had a margarita with a corona in top which replaced the margarita with corona as we drank. Just a little wrong.

DD1 had calamari and as she told us how wrong it was to eat baby octopus she just kept shoving them in her mouth. DH and Grandpa were so proud

DD2 ordered dessert which DH agreed to share. On the menu it looked as big as a coffee cup, well it took all six of us to finish it. There were bits of snickers in the icecream. It was a special menu item. Just yum.

Grandma and Grandpa took the shopping and the children back to the hotel for DH and I do shop some more for us. After a big meal and waiting for an hour for the kids to finish their shopping we were over it and came home with nothing extra.

I can't believe I was shopped out. A Christmas miracle.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: