Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2011, 06:43 AM   #1
torillien
Mouseketeer

Driving from MCO to Swan / Dolphin

Hi Guys

I am driving for the first time when I visit in January and I have never driven in the US before and will be alone.

I am a bit worried about getting lost

Has anyone got an idiot proof guide on getting me from MCO to the Swan and Dolphin resort (am staying in the Swan)

my only other option is to not bother with the hire car (it's part of the packagae with Virgin) and take the bus - can I just do this or do I need to book it?

Thanks so much in advance

Shaz

Up and Coming Trips
WDW- Feb 2013 - Caribbean Beach Pirate Room
Trips gone by
DLP - March 2012 - DLH, WDW - January 2012 - Swan - lotusphere 2012,DLP - June 2011 - SL,WDW - January 2011 - Dolphin - lotusphere 2011,DLP - November 2010 -SL
torillien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 08:27 AM   #2
DizneyNutz
DIS Veteran

Getting Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by torillien View Post
Hi Guys

I am driving for the first time when I visit in January and I have never driven in the US before and will be alone.

I am a bit worried about getting lost

Has anyone got an idiot proof guide on getting me from MCO to the Swan and Dolphin resort (am staying in the Swan)

my only other option is to not bother with the hire car (it's part of the packagae with Virgin) and take the bus - can I just do this or do I need to book it?

Thanks so much in advance

Shaz
No need to worry. You wont get lost at all. They have a nice little map when you get a rental car that shows the way. You will leave the South side of the MCO terminal and get onto Hwy 417 South. You will pass through at least two Toll Booths maybe three so have plenty of quarters ready. I believe it is exit # 6 That you will take onto State Road 536. SR 536 will take you straight in to Disney property where you will take the first right onto Buena Vista Drive after going through the Disney gates. At the top of the offramp you will turn left and they will be down a little ways on your right after you pass Disney's Boardwalk. When you get off of HWY 417 onto SR 536 you wont go far before you come to a stoplight at a 4 way intersection with SR 535. If you turn left at the light onton SR 535 there is a Super Wal Mart about a mile down on your right if you need to get any groceries / supplies for your room. I have a very good map of Disney Property that shows where everything is if you are interested, but I have to send by e-mail because it is a PDF file. If interested just send me a PM with your e-mail address and I will forward it to you. Hope this helps you!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-26-2011, 08:29 AM   #3
torillien
Mouseketeer

Smashing .. thanks very much

I took the $2 bus last time which was fun as the driver got lost I'll PM you

Up and Coming Trips
Trips gone by
DLP - March 2012 - DLH, WDW - January 2012 - Swan - lotusphere 2012,DLP - June 2011 - SL,WDW - January 2011 - Dolphin - lotusphere 2011,DLP - November 2010 -SL
Old 11-26-2011, 08:41 AM   #4
NancyIL
DIS Veteran

I agree that taking the SOUTH exit to State Road 417 is the best route from the airport. Get off at Exit 6 and keep heading straight towards WDW. Watch signs for the EPCOT RESORTS, then for the Swan/Dolphin.

However. the parking charge at the Swan is $12/night, so depending on how long you will stay, you might want to drop the rental car and take the Mears shuttle ($34 roundtrip) to and from the hotel. Or - the $2 bus!
NancyIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 08:51 AM   #5
torillien
Mouseketeer

I get free parking due to the conference I am going too which is nice .. staying 7 nights so friday to friday - I am still thinking about the Express bus or the $2 bus though

Up and Coming Trips
Trips gone by
Old 11-26-2011, 08:54 AM   #6
NancyIL
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I get free parking due to the conference I am going too which is nice .. staying 7 nights so friday to friday - I am still thinking about the Express bus or the $2 bus though
Free parking is good! Are you comfortable driving on the "other" side of the road? I don't know of any "express" buses, but the Lynx bus will be slow.
Old 11-26-2011, 09:02 AM   #7
torillien
Mouseketeer

I ment the virgin one that gets you there - friends have used it before .. I haven't - I used the $2 one last time which was great - only the driver got lost as he was trying to explain to someone who was lost how they could get back to town, he then missed the exit and was completely lost.

Luckily there was a guy that worked at Universal on board, who used to work at WDW and knew the roads so we got back on track - added 20 mins to the journey though

Up and Coming Trips
Trips gone by
Old 11-26-2011, 09:07 AM   #8
NancyIL
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I ment the virgin one that gets you there - friends have used it before .. I haven't - I used the $2 one last time which was great - only the driver got lost as he was trying to explain to someone who was lost how they could get back to town, he then missed the exit and was completely lost.

Luckily there was a guy that worked at Universal on board, who used to work at WDW and knew the roads so we got back on track - added 20 mins to the journey though
If you have the option to take the Virgin bus vs. a rental car, especially if there is no extra charge, I would recommend taking their bus.

Tags
dolphin, driving, mco, swan

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: