Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies > Theme Parks Community
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2014, 10:53 AM   #1
tim123
Mouseketeer

Dozens of Disney workers arrested since 06'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ex-stings.html

Last edited by tim123; 07-15-2014 at 11:57 AM.
tim123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 11:03 AM   #2
DisUniversal
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim123 View Post
Disney employs more people than the population of most towns in central Florida so without knowing if theme park workers were specifically targeted or how many were involved that didn't work at theme parks, it's hard to know whether this really means anything at all.
DisUniversal is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-15-2014, 11:04 AM   #3
katt789
DIS Veteran

When I first saw the title I thought this was a one time thing, but since 2006, whoo, not as insane as I had thought.

Disney definitely takes precautions when they hire people, I know everyone has to get a background check done by police (I had to) however there are of course those disgusting people who haven't gotten caught yet, or haven't offended yet. I am glad to see that the number of employees was a very very low percentage, I trust Disney to be a relatively safe place both for myself and for children to be, but I understand that as much as I believe it's inside this little "bubble of safety" that it is the real world, and things like this may go on inside of it.

Instagram:Kattwyllie
Twitter: KattWy

katt789 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 11:05 AM   #4
AmyB2006
I'd rather be in Disney!

Old news.

But this should go without saying, just because it's Disney doesn't mean there aren't bad people around.

ETA... Disney is actually a prime place for sexual offenders and predators if they've never been caught because of all the kids around. Word to the wise... don't let your guards down... ever. Always be cautious.

AmyB2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 11:12 AM   #5
DisUniversal
Mouseketeer

Disney said the numbers represented one one-hundredth of one percent of the number of employees they have. In 2008 the Catholic church asserted that their scandal was caused by "no more than 1 percent" of the approximately 410,000 priests. Going by the numbers, my children are 100 times safer at Disney World than they are at church.
DisUniversal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 11:12 AM   #6
surferdave
Not hero DIS deserves, but the hero DIS needs right now

Disney has over 300,000 employees at Walt Disney World, the only surprising thing is that the number is that extraordinarily low. I'd like to ask CNN how Time Warner's numbers measure up.

[COLOR="Magenta"][FONT="Arial Black"][SIZE="2"]
surferdave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 11:13 AM   #7
robinb
DIS Veteran

Crap.

According to this article:
http://nypost.com/2014/07/15/dozens-...ld-sex-stings/

(Yes, I know it's The NY Post)

Quote:
Earlier this month, 40-year-old Allen Treaster, a concierge at Disney’s Animal Kingdom Lodge, was arrested for allegedly trying to hook up with a 14-year-old boy to “fulfill a fantasy,” according to his text messages.

That 14-year-old was actually an undercover detective.

In videotaped interview with police, Treaster admitted to having sex with a real 15-year-old in Georgia about 3 ½ weeks before the sting arrest, according to CNN. He had met the boy online.

“OK and when did you find out how old he was?” a detective asked.

“Honestly, I found out before I met him, but you know,” Treaster said.

“So you still went for that, to have sex with him, knowing he was 15 years old?” the detective asked.

“Yes,” Treaster said.
This lowlife, a concierge at AKL, actually had sex with a 15 year old boy 3 1/2 weeks ago. He makes me want to vomit.
robinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 11:15 AM   #8
mm1971
DIS Veteran

There are bad people everywhere. Disney is no exception. I'm sure if you looked at any theme park you will see similar statistics. It's just the perception of Disney being a "magical" place for kids that makes it a good headline to the story. Not apologizing or making excuses, but it isn't possible to eliminate everyone. Over 8 years, that is 5 per year. It also may be a first offense meaning a background check would not show any criminal activity. Bus drivers, teachers, principals have all been in the news recently. Hopefully they continue to get these people identified and out of society.

Just another reason we have to be careful no matter where we are and make sure to teach your children to be safe. No public place can be guaranteed to be 100% safe.

mm1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 11:18 AM   #9
AmyB2006
I'd rather be in Disney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by disuniversal View Post
disney said the numbers represented one one-hundredth of one percent of the number of employees they have. In 2008 the catholic church asserted that their scandal was caused by "no more than 1 percent" of the approximately 410,000 priests. Going by the numbers, my children are 100 times safer at disney world than they are at church.
lol

AmyB2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 11:20 AM   #10
mousefan73
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm1971 View Post
There are bad people everywhere. Disney is no exception.

Just another reason we have to be careful no matter where we are and make sure to teach your children to be safe. No public place can be guaranteed to be 100% safe.
And so is no home 100% safe.
Actually if you go by numbers, a public place is the safest place for our kids, seeing most crimes against children take place in their own home. Food for thought; not saying let's have our kids stray off.

The sickest is alot of these kids are being pimped by family members, not predatated ( is that a word?)
mousefan73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 11:24 AM   #11
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Your title is very misleading as it implies 1 sting operation ........were this is 35 people, over 8 years, and there are other parks with arrests over the years as well.

If you take a low turnover employee rate of 5,000 a year X 8 years, which would be 40,000, add the 70,000 employee working, that 110,000 that is
.0003%, well below the public averages.

There are pedophiles all around the world. From what has been reported Dis has a aggressive program to keep out the sickos. While no screening will be perfect, It is pretty plain my grandkids are safer at WDW then any mall or street.

AKK
Tonka's Skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 11:27 AM   #12
tim123
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonka's Skipper View Post
Your title is very misleading as it implies 1 sting operation ........were this is 35 people, over 8 years, and there are other parks with arrests over the years as well.

If you take a low turnover employee rate of 5,000 a year X 8 years, which would be 40,000, add the 70,000 employee working, that 110,000 that is
.0003%, well below the public averages.

There are pedophiles all around the world. From what has been reported Dis has a aggressive program to keep out the sickos. While no screening will be perfect, It is pretty plain my grandkids are safer at WDW then any mall or street.

AKK
Um its the Daily Mail's title not mine. I didn't write the article.
tim123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 11:27 AM   #13
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinb View Post
Crap.

According to this article:
http://nypost.com/2014/07/15/dozens-...ld-sex-stings/

(Yes, I know it's The NY Post)

This lowlife, a concierge at AKL, actually had sex with a 15 year old boy 3 1/2 weeks ago. He makes me want to vomit.

AGREED!. YET I am sure some low life atty will be defending him because the name *Disney* will be in the headlines.

AKK
Old 07-15-2014, 11:29 AM   #14
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Um its the Daily Mail's title not mine. I didn't write the article.

It is still misleading and you posted it as such....just MHO.

AKK
Old 07-15-2014, 11:33 AM   #15
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferdave View Post
Disney has over 300,000 employees at Walt Disney World, the only surprising thing is that the number is that extraordinarily low. I'd like to ask CNN how Time Warner's numbers measure up.
300,000? That sounds really high.

This article says 53,500

http://www.orlandostop10.com/Employers.aspx

CNN said 70,000

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: