Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2011, 12:01 PM   #1
KEPE
Mouseketeer

Quick and simple dinning review - no pics!

Hi all, just returned and before we left I found reading these reveiws really helpful so I decided to do my own. This will be quick, no pics, just a basic, what we ate, what we liked, what we didn't kind of review. Simple! When I say we I mean, me, DH and DD3. We were on the DXDP for 7 nights.

Day 1
Lunch - Rix - CSR
Dinner - Rainforest Cafe DTD
Snack - Ghiradelli's

Day 2
Breakfast - Ohana
Lunch - WPE - DTD
Dinner - Mama Melrose

Day 3
Breakfast - Tusker House
Lunch - Pepper Market -CSR
Dinner - Via Napoli

Day 4
Breakfast - Pepper Market - CSR
Dinner - CRT

Day 5
Breakfast -Chef Mickey
Dinner - Tony's Town Square

Day 6
Breakfast - Akerhause
Dinner - Le Cellier

Day 7
Lunch - The plaza
Dinner - 1900 Park fare

Day 8
Breakfast - CRT
KEPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 12:29 PM   #2
KEPE
Mouseketeer

So day 1 -

Lunch -Rix - CSR

DH ordered a cheeseburger, I had the chicken fingers and DD had the hotdog. They come w/ Chips a drink and a snack. They were all fine. Nothing special, typical fast food. Made fresh. No complaints.

Dinner - Rainforest Cafe - DTD

I had the Chicken Fried Chicken and this was really good. Large portion (too large) Kind of like a large battered Chicken Cutlet. The chicken was moist and NOT oily, mashed pot. and some veggies that were really good too. DH had the Mojo Bones with fries and said they were really good too. DD had the sliders w/ fries. Again, really large portion for sliders. Didn't need to order her a seperate meal here as there was way too much food. I also had the sangria and that was really good too.

Snack - Ghiradelli's - DD had the kids cup and I had a taste it was yummy an DH had the PB sundae and I had a taste of this too. He thought it was just ok but I thought it was delish! I thought it was cute that it came with a little chocolate and a pic w/ crayons for the kids.

For lunch we were able to use 3 meal Credits but paid OOP for dinner and snack. Not sure if Ghiradelli's took snack credits or not because I forgot to ask and just paid for it.

Last edited by KEPE; 10-30-2011 at 03:55 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-30-2011, 12:48 PM   #3
KEPE
Mouseketeer

Day 2

Breakfast - Ohana - this by far was my favorite breakfast of the entire trip!!! The character interaction was great. They came to each table didn't rush, took the kids to join in the parade and even came back around for a second time. The food was really good too. The bread was wonderful, the fruit was fresh. I have no idea what they put in that juice but it was WOW, I wish they sold that stuff by the case! There was scambled eggs bacon, biskets, sausage, mickey waffles. All really fresh and yummy. I really enjoyed this breakfast and would book it again!

Lunch - WPE - We had the mac and cheese and the margarita pizza. The pizza was ok and DH wasn't crazy about the mac and cheese. This was just ok. very crowded. It wasn't horrible but nothing special either.

Dinner - Mama Melrose - we had the fried calamari for two. This was pretty tasty. DH liked the sweet sauce that came w/ it and thought that added a little something different. DH had the steak for dinner and really liked it. I had the penne ala vodka and it was good too. DD had the pizza but mostly ate my pasta. DH ordered the tiramisu and I ordered the chocolate mousse. Both were really good. We liked this place. With it came tix for F! which were so worth it because the line was HUGE and we walked right up to the front and got right in.

Last edited by KEPE; 10-30-2011 at 03:57 PM.
Old 10-30-2011, 02:02 PM   #4
rznhal
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the reviews! Hope you had a great trip!

I'm thinking about upgrading to the DX plan for my trip in February....did you like the Deluxe Plan?

me, DH, DD6, DS2
1988-Grand Floridian, 1993-offsite, 1994-offsite
2002-DTD and Disney Cruise Honeymoon
2005-offsite, 2009-POP, 2011-CSR
2012-Adults only Graduation Trip-AKL
2013-AKL again!
rznhal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 04:04 PM   #5
KEPE
Mouseketeer

Rznhal, we did the free DDP so just had to pay for the upgrade. With the DDP we would have had to pay for a few OOP so I thought it just made sense to use the money to upgrade to the DXDP instead of paying OOP for some meals. It is A LOT of food. I was surprised, DH is a big eater so I thought for sure those extra credits would come in handy for late night snacks and they did a little but most portions were so big that we didn't really need them. I don't think I would do it again.
Old 10-30-2011, 05:28 PM   #6
tluvstink
DIS Veteran

I am enjoying your reviews and I'm looking forward to more. (No pressure)

Terri
tluvstink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 10:30 AM   #7
KEPE
Mouseketeer

Day 3 -

Tusker House - Breakfast - I hadn't read much about this so wasn't sure what to expect. The food wasn't bad. The usual breakfast buffet stuff along with that yummy juice. This one did have some donuts and breakfast pastries where the others didn't have much. You only see Donald in front and the others (Mickey, Minnie, Daisy and I think it was Pluto) all come around during the breakfast and they do a little parade with the kids. Overall pretty good.

Lunch - Pepper Markey - CSR - DH had the chicken Quasadilla and I had the nachos. Both were very good. Made fresh and just yummy. The portions are HUGE!!!!! WOW. I don't even think I made a dent in those nachos.

Dinner - Via Napoli - We had a 7:00pm reservation we didn't wait long to be seated but the place was very crowded. We ordered the fresh mozzerella and Tom. and the fried Calamari. Both delish. for our main course DD got the spaghetti and meatballs, I had the margarita pizza and DH ordered the white pizza. DD's came out prety quick but ours took FOREVER. It was 8:00 and we still hadn't had our main course. We were pretty hungry but what can you do? The waited was very apologetic and we were dealing with it. Chatting with the people at the table next to us. We didn't complain at all and the manager came over to apologize and offered to buy us a drink since we were on the dinning plan there wasn't much she could offer. I had already had a glass of wine so I ordered another and DH doesn't drink so he said thanks but he was fine. They ended up comping us both of my glasses of wine which was very nice and as I mentioned, we hadn't even complained. Once the food came it out it was REALLY good!! I would eat here again!!!
Old 10-31-2011, 10:47 AM   #8
KEPE
Mouseketeer

Day 4

Breakfast - Peppermarket CSR

I had the breakfast platter, fried eggs over easy with hashbrowns, bacon and a bisket. It was nice to have something besides scrambled eggs. DH had the same and DD had a bagel. Overall nothing special about this breakfast. But it was fine.

Dinner - CRT - I expected the food to be... eh and figured it was all about the experience with this one but I was pleasantly surprised. DH had the shrimp cocktail and I had the cheese sampler. The cheese was pretty good. The sauce (kind of like a corn chutney) with the shrimp was pretty good. I knew what this looked like before he ordered it but DH was little disappointed that it wasn't a usual shrimp cocktail. DH ordered the pork three ways, He said it was really good. I didn't taste it. I ordered the chicken stuffed with ham, cheese and asparagus. This was really yummy. DD had the pizza but mostly ate my chicken. As you know the choices for kids are really limited so for the most part we ordered a lot of pizza knowing she would take a bite or two but more so would be eating what I ordered, which was fine since most of the portions were pretty large. For dessert the waitress asked DD if she wanted the icecream or the cupcake, she said both lol. I told them to bring the cupcake and Jess (our wonderful waitress) brought both. DH had the sampler, which he liked. I had the mousse in raspberry sauce YUMMY. We had a great seat right near the window and the princesses were really great. They interacted well with the kids and were very in character. The pic they give you of your child w/ Cinderella was really cute too.

As a side note - before we did CRT we had an appointment at BBB and that was really cute. DD LOVED it. I wasn't as thrilled with our fairy godmother. She was not as into it as some of the others but when all was said and done DD loved the way she looked and that is all that mattered.

Last edited by KEPE; 11-01-2011 at 08:00 PM.
Old 10-31-2011, 04:12 PM   #9
rznhal
DIS Veteran

Thanks KEPE! We stayed at CSR late August-early September! We loved Pepper Market also!!! We had a wonderful steak dish, think it was ranchero....awesome!!!!

Great reviews!!

me, DH, DD6, DS2
1988-Grand Floridian, 1993-offsite, 1994-offsite
2002-DTD and Disney Cruise Honeymoon
2005-offsite, 2009-POP, 2011-CSR
2012-Adults only Graduation Trip-AKL
2013-AKL again!
rznhal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 04:25 PM   #10
myladyisatramp
myladyisatramp

Love the reviews can't wait to hear more...

ays.
myladyisatramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 06:59 PM   #11
KEPE
Mouseketeer

Day 5

Breakfast - Chef Mickey's - NOT IMPRESSED! Probably the longest wait we had to be seated, food was cold, nothing special. DD and I had one plate but DH went up for seconds and we were still done and had the check paid before any characters made it into our section. So there we sat just waiting. Would not waste my time on this one again.

Dinner - Tony's Town Square - YUCK! Not much more I can add. We ordered the cheesy garlic bread and this was really the most edible thing of the entire meal. I had Shrimp Scampi and DH ordered the lasagna and DD had he spaghetti. YUCK! None of it was even remotely good. It was even ok, it was just bad. DD wouldn't eat it at all. I did eat the pasta but not the shrimp and DH ate a few bites of lasagna but couldn't do anymore. I offered to trade w/ him but even I couldn't eat the lasagna. Then I ordered the ice cream bomb and even that wasn't good.

Very bad day food wise.....
Old 11-01-2011, 07:58 PM   #12
KEPE
Mouseketeer

Day 6

Breakfast - Akerhaus - This was good. Quick, we were in and out fast. The usual breakfast items but the fruit was fresh as were the bagels and they had some cheese and some other things like lox and capers.

Dinner - Le Cellier - wasn't sure what to expect. This had mixed reviews and DH is a huge steak lover so we've been to just about every steak house on the east coast. This was pretty good. I started with the cheddar soup, which I liked. It was good w/ the pretzel bread. DH had the cesar salad. Then I had the signature filet w/ mushroom risotto. I love risotto but don't like mushrooms. I took a chance and just picked out the chunks of mushrooms. It was good, not salty at all as some have reviewed. The steak was cooked perfectly, not tough but not too rare. DH had the Rib eye w/ wedges (I think) and he really enjoyed it. We also ordered the creamed spinach. DD had pasta but this time it had ground turkey which I liked and I liked it. He had the creme brule for dessert and said it was good. I was sooo full couldn't eat another bite. Overall, really yummy!!

Last edited by KEPE; 11-01-2011 at 08:11 PM.
Old 11-01-2011, 08:10 PM   #13
KEPE
Mouseketeer

Day 7

Lunch - The Plaza - DH and I had the burgers with grilled onions and fries. DD had the grilled cheese. It was good, we had no complaints w/ this meal. DH ordered the chocolate shake w/ his meal but was able to use his dessert credit. I ordered the sundae and it was delicious!!

Dinner - 1900 Park - This was a buffet. Lady Germaine wasn't there. So it was just cinderella, prince charming and the two step sisters. Very cute. DD loved prince charming. There was a selection of food. Cesar salad, mozzerella and tom. salad, chicken noodle soup (there may have been another soup too). Then pork and beef from the carving station. A plain pasta, a primavera in a cream sauce, corn, mashed pot., mac and cheese, pizza. All good. dessert was a little chocolate cup, brownies, mini berry cups. All very good too. The food was fresh and I saw them replenishing often.
Old 11-01-2011, 08:20 PM   #14
KEPE
Mouseketeer

Day 8 -

Breakfast - CRT - We had a choice of a yogurt w/ granola, a platter w/ bacon, eggs and sausage and one other choice that I can't remember. We went with the egg platter and it was good. Although I did enjoy the dinner more. I think at this point I had enough of the bacon and eggs. the character interaction was once again great.
Old 11-01-2011, 08:30 PM   #15
KEPE
Mouseketeer

Also, during the week we were there we had many snacks. The popcorn was yummy. The ice cream from the plaza ice cream shop was HUGE. I had chocolate and DH had cookies and cream and WOW. This is a great way to use a snack credit. We also tried the PB cups from Goofy's candy co. DT. Those were awesome. The berry margarita from mexico was delish and I also had the pom. slushie from france and that was good too.

So to sum it up, best meals were Via Napoli/Le Cellier for dinner and Ohana for breakfast. Worst was Chef Mickey for breakfast and Tony's for dinner.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: