Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2012, 08:10 AM   #121
Britster18
Mouseketeer

My DH went to USF, my brother in law went to UF, my sil went to FSU and my brother went to UCF! I just went to a community college in Tampa but all are GREAT schools!!!

Britster18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 10:08 AM   #122
jilljill
Collects Disney men!
I had to go and write a novel didn't I?!
Come on over and join our thread

Location: 13-14½ hours drive from WDW - depending on who is driving (lol) OR 5 minutes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britster18 View Post
My DH went to USF, my brother in law went to UF, my sil went to FSU and my brother went to UCF! I just went to a community college in Tampa but all are GREAT schools!!!
She's been accepted at Valencia and is on deferred for UCF and USF-Polytechnic. We're leaning towards her staying at Valencia for the first 2 years and then transferring to UCF for the last 2 years. Although, UCF has a beautiful campus and is all contained in one place.
All schools are pretty much the same drive, time-wise, from our house down there.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-18-2012, 10:54 AM   #123
Britster18
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jilljill View Post
She's been accepted at Valencia and is on deferred for UCF and USF-Polytechnic. We're leaning towards her staying at Valencia for the first 2 years and then transferring to UCF for the last 2 years. Although, UCF has a beautiful campus and is all contained in one place.
All schools are pretty much the same drive, time-wise, from our house down there.
I thought of going to Valencia at one point to get out of Tampa!!
I wanted to get my AA in community college and then finish off at USF but kids/military orders/ life got in my way first.
My brother really like Orlando area for school.

Old 01-18-2012, 11:00 AM   #124
jilljill
Collects Disney men!

Location: 13-14½ hours drive from WDW - depending on who is driving (lol) OR 5 minutes!

Quote:
I thought of going to Valencia at one point to get out of Tampa!!
I wanted to get my AA in community college and then finish off at USF but kids/military orders/ life got in my way first.
My brother really like Orlando area for school.
Valencia has now been upgraded from being a community college to a college. I think this is the first year for the change. Now I have no clue what they means but as long as the education is the same I guess it doesn't really matter.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:08 AM   #125
Britster18
Mouseketeer

I think it means you can get a college degree there... other then just a 2 year associates, don't quote me on that though.

Does anyone know when our info/itinerary comes out for our cruise and when I can schedule reservations/activites/kids club stuff? I know being our first cruise, I'm last on the list but not sure when all the fun stuff comes out and can be scheduled.

Old 01-18-2012, 12:05 PM   #126
JJ Max n Mickey
Earning My Ears

Quote:
I think it means you can get a college degree there... other then just a 2 year associates, don't quote me on that though.

Does anyone know when our info/itinerary comes out for our cruise and when I can schedule reservations/activites/kids club stuff? I know being our first cruise, I'm last on the list but not sure when all the fun stuff comes out and can be scheduled.

Certainly the others here are waaayyy more experienced than our family, but here's my thoughts on reservations: The first time we cruised, we hung back and didn't make any dining or excursion reservations until we sailed, and boy were we glad! Especially on DCL, the food and rotating restaurants are so fantastic that my kids were so glad that we didn't miss out on one minute. We keep our excursions very simple...we like the beach, and until my 8 year old is older and able to swim with dolphins or snorkel, we love simply hanging out at the beach. We have found perfect, kid friendly beaches in San Juan (there is a rougher-water beach we stay away from), in St. Thom and at Castaway Cay, you can rent snorkelling equip for very little money.

My 2 cents
Disney Magic ~ January 2010
JJ Max n Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 01:30 PM   #127
jilljill
Collects Disney men!

Quote:

Ok, I won't quote you then.

What info/itinerary are you looking for?
You can make online reservation for onboard things and excursions at 75 days out since your are a first timer. Excursions for ports that DCL regularly sails to are on their website. I would expect excursion info for San Juan to come out about 125-150 days before the first sailing that goes to SJ in 2012.
Old 01-18-2012, 02:39 PM   #128
Britster18
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Max n Mickey View Post
Certainly the others here are waaayyy more experienced than our family, but here's my thoughts on reservations: The first time we cruised, we hung back and didn't make any dining or excursion reservations until we sailed, and boy were we glad! Especially on DCL, the food and rotating restaurants are so fantastic that my kids were so glad that we didn't miss out on one minute. We keep our excursions very simple...we like the beach, and until my 8 year old is older and able to swim with dolphins or snorkel, we love simply hanging out at the beach. We have found perfect, kid friendly beaches in San Juan (there is a rougher-water beach we stay away from), in St. Thom and at Castaway Cay, you can rent snorkelling equip for very little money.

My 2 cents
This is kind of what I was thinking. Since the kids haven't been on a cruise EVER, we want to enjoy the ship and whatever we find in port wise. That being said, I want to be able to have the kids enjoy the club (which you have to reserve/register?) and I would LOVE for DH and I to have one night out to dinner, alone at Palo or Remy, for an anniversary date.
Other then that, I don't know what else I should be looking for?

Old 01-18-2012, 02:43 PM   #129
jilljill
Collects Disney men!

Quote:
This is kind of what I was thinking. Since the kids haven't been on a cruise EVER, we want to enjoy the ship and whatever we find in port wise. That being said, I want to be able to have the kids enjoy the club (which you have to reserve/register?) and I would LOVE for DH and I to have one night out to dinner, alone at Palo or Remy, for an anniversary date.
Other then that, I don't know what else I should be looking for?
Unless you have a child under 3 that needs the Nursery care you do not reserve time for the kids. The clubs are come and go as you please. Yes, you do need to register them, but that's to set up who can check them in/out and get their wristbands (ages 3-10).
Old 01-18-2012, 02:55 PM   #130
Britster18
Mouseketeer

Ok, cool.
Remy/Palo is 75 days out for me? online? or call my TA?

Just paid my deposit

Old 01-18-2012, 02:57 PM   #131
jilljill
Collects Disney men!

Quote:
Ok, cool.
Remy/Palo is 75 days out for me? online? or call my TA?

Just paid my deposit
You do it online via the DCL website starting at 12:01am eastern 75 days before your cruise. You can pull up your reservation on DCL's website and it will tell you how many days until the cruise and when you can do your bookings.
Old 01-18-2012, 02:59 PM   #132
Britster18
Mouseketeer

Quote:
You do it online via the DCL website starting at 12:01am eastern 75 days before your cruise. You can pull up your reservation on DCL's website and it will tell you how many days until the cruise and when you can do your bookings.

When I get my reservation number from Disney? I just have the DU one from the quote.

Old 01-18-2012, 03:07 PM   #133
JJ Max n Mickey
Earning My Ears

Quote:

Brittany, we can call you at 11:59 the night before so that you are at your computer at 12:01 Happy to offer this service!!!

Just wanted to throw in a little tidbit from our DCL experiences...Disney is very good at communicating via email about how and when to register your kids for their club on-line before you sail. Don't worry about that. Before you get on the ship, you will have completed on-line forms with all of that information. The first time we got to the Port to set sail, there was a LOOOONNNGGG line of people standing in line at a sign called child registration. They were seriously there for hours. We asked a staff member who told us that if we had already registered the kids on-line (which we had), we didn't have to stand in that line. We just had to go to the Oceaneer Club at some point in the afternoon and get wristbands. We had lunch on board and leasurely wondered over to it and were in and out in 5 mins. A little food for thought.
Disney Magic ~ January 2010
JJ Max n Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 03:14 PM   #134
jilljill
Collects Disney men!

Quote:

When I get my reservation number from Disney? I just have the DU one from the quote.
DU will provide you with that. If it's not on your paperwork just shoot them off an email and ask them. A reservation number from DCL is assigned when you put the cruise on hold or pay your deposit.
Old 01-18-2012, 03:14 PM   #135
jilljill
Collects Disney men!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Max n Mickey View Post
Brittany, we can call you at 11:59 the night before so that you are at your computer at 12:01 Happy to offer this service!!!
What a great way to make money to pay off the cruise!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: