Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast > DIS Adventures by Disney Trips
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2012, 11:45 PM   #1216
WebmasterJohn
Genius
Maintains the Big Book of Grievances

DISboards Administrator

I know this is way off topic but for those of you who know Heather I think you will enjoy her latest blog post - I sure did!!!

http://foodietales.com/2012/09/the-e...ent-crab-legs/

WebmasterJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 05:52 AM   #1217
corky441

It's not the pace of life than concerns me... it's the sudden stop at the end.

Heather,

That is a great story. I just love reading your "Foodie Tales"

And, I think seafood will be on the menu for dinner tonight

Me & DH(Dino) Kelly K.C. Magoo Emmett
corky441 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-27-2012, 06:23 AM   #1218
Chropistopy
DIS Veteran

Great blog post, Heather! Fabulous story!

Chropistopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 09:59 AM   #1219
Circusgirl
Queen of the Moisture Festival
ALLORA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by corky441 View Post
Sorry to hear about Jeri and the "Trane wreck"

I'm sure they'll be regretting their decision

I subscribe to a lot of newsletters, both about Italy and not. In today's inbox was this:

http://goitaly.about.com/b/2012/09/1...italy.htm?nl=1

How can we not go back -

Italy is at the top of my list of places to spend more time. 2014 sounds good to me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stenogoddess View Post
Charlotte is here and perfect! Happy Auntie!! Photos to follow

Congratulations!!! Looking forward to pictures.

I'm so sorry about Jeri's job disappointment. This moment of back to the drawing board sucks, but I know some fantastic opportunity will be his.

Quote:
Originally Posted by corky441 View Post
Heather,

That is a great story. I just love reading your "Foodie Tales"

And, I think seafood will be on the menu for dinner tonight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chropistopy View Post
Great blog post, Heather! Fabulous story!
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebmasterJohn View Post
I know this is way off topic but for those of you who know Heather I think you will enjoy her latest blog post - I sure did!!!

Thank you!!

I am sitting at Seatac airport, waiting to board my flight to Orlando. Friends, Food and Wine, Epcot's 30th anniversary and Mickey's Halloween party just ahead!
Circusgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 02:16 PM   #1220
Chropistopy
DIS Veteran

I know that we all love our food. I wanted to share the information about this book that is coming out next month. The author does a good job in selling the book in the trailer.

The Food Traveler's Handbook

Old 09-28-2012, 10:33 AM   #1221
stenogoddess
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebmasterJohn View Post

Great article! I'm loving Foodie Tales. We tried to hit the LA Farmer's Market last time we were there but ran out of time so I was glad of that reminder article as well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circusgirl View Post

I am sitting at Seatac airport, waiting to board my flight to Orlando. Friends, Food and Wine, Epcot's 30th anniversary and Mickey's Halloween party just ahead!
Have an EXTRA magical time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcb View Post

If I were on this guy's jury he could have whatever he wanted!

Thanks everyone for Jeri's good wishes. I've reminded him to write a thank you note for the consideration because the truth is they needed to be hiring two guys because this market is growing so fast. So maybe after this guy gets settled in, or after he's eaten by a gator, you know, who knows? But in the meantime now that I'm back from Charlotte-palooza we can get started with Plan B, which every now and then turns out more awesome than Plan A.

So before we get to the photos, let me give you a little Life of Lauren because in the end I just can't help myself. So I'm sitting in my depo and I know that if it gets done by 12:00 I'm flying up to Atlanta. Any later than 1:00 leaving the house and I'll have to wait until 4:00 to leave the house because the traffic around the ATL is so bad. But I also know that we have four witnesses and two attorneys with what I call Magnolia mouth so it's not going to happen.

We get through with the first two guys and I'm sitting there going back through my work correcting some things while the lawyers talk about the new boat one of them got and the upcoming pig roast they are both going to. No, I was not invited to the pig roast. About 20 minutes slip by and I finally say do you want me to go upstairs to check if the next witness is waiting up there because he's about 20 minutes late. It's 12:20. Oh, the guy says, the last two got rescheduled and we're going to move them to next month.

Let's recap, shall we? I've been sitting in my chair listening to 20 minutes of talk about boats and pigs with NOBODY telling me I could leave when I could have been on the road. Did I really look that interested in that conversation? I can assure you I did not!

I normally have a very exact system of how my very expensive and delicate court reporter things pack and unpack and how I place my cords and which ones go in the bag first. But not today! Folks, I crammed that snarled mess into my bag and ran out the door. The whole time I was thinking, really? REALLY? You two can put your boat and your pig exactly where the sun does not shine!

I raced the two miles home (one perk of living in Savannah, it's basically two miles almost everywhere) Dropped off work me and picked up road travel me and ran out the door. It's 1:00. I can make it! I can make it!

Now what Christy may be picking up on that others may not at this point in the story is the extreme self-delusion that is going on. I am not, in fact, going to make it. Unless Dr. Who himself picks me up and transports me up I-16 by at least one hour I'm going to hit the outskirts of Atlanta right at 4:00 and that's without stopping, which I still need lunch and later I'll need a potty stop so that puts me into the city at 4:30, which is traffic so stopped and so horrible that you can actually feel yourself age. That is if you're not feeling yourself explode with rage.

Indecision raging in the car about what to do I traveled up the road listening to the podcast show they did up north and Pete rant about booze in the MK. Here's a tip: If you're already wound up don't listen to Pete rant. It only makes things worse. Finally decision time came: Proceed on the expressway and much more likely than not end up in a horrible traffic snarl or head out into the country where you may be able to get around most folks but the speed limit is lower.

I strike out into Dublin, Georgia, where I have to stop for gas and a potty break. This is not really where I wanted to stop, at all. But a drawback to the countryside plan is the large areas of nothing that I was about to head into. I stopped, in a hellhole, the whole time thinking I hope the loo isn't outside. I hate an outside loo. They are dirty and they smell bad. The loo is inside. The loo is unisex. Ask me how I know this. The loo comes with a working lock DUDE! For the love of Pete use it! AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH

Someone come scrub my eyes.

Now I'm heading north cruise control on. Gotta watch those good 'ol boy speed traps. But I had my new niece story ready so maybe I would have caught some slack. I'm getting updates on my phone. Love texting. No, I did not text! I was driving and receiving updates, which I think is allowed. And I'm chanting I can make it I can make it!

And for a really, really long time I did. I popped out of the country onto I-20 having missed all of the Macon and Atlanta traffic, I zoomed over to the Covington exit, waved to Christy (HI CHRISTY) as I turned back off of the highway to the right and kept heading north on the back roads! GO GO GO! I am so close! Only an hour away from the hospital. I can make it!

Finally I pop out around the Mall of Georgia and make my last turn left for my final 20 miles. Where I proceed to hit every single traffic light on that road. People I could have run faster than that last 20 miles went. So, in fact, I did not make it. Which any sane person would have realized when this crazy story started. But I was on some weird new baby high where the laws of traffic and reason were suspended. Also, since I was only 20 miles away when I missed the baby's first moment, and that stupid boat/pig story took 20 minutes of my life away I decided to blame them in my heart and wished a hole into that guys new Carolina Skiff. I am sometimes petty and mean-spirited. I also hope the pig burns.

But - eventually - I make it to the hospital and as we all know new baby trumps bad feeling every time. My sister did great, the baby arrived in perfect new in box condition and the new dad is rocking diaper changing. Plus, despite the fact that my sister never let me touch her doll when she was little, she let me hold her baby as much as I wanted! Which was a lot!

What I made you sit through that story to get to, I present Your Moment of Zen.....

This is the I've been here an hour where were you shot:

This one is my favorite. I love that hat. And just so you know, don't touch the hat. As long as the hat is on, life is good. If the hat is off, for the Lord's sake get it back on as quickly as possible!

Happy Auntie:

Old 09-28-2012, 11:30 AM   #1222
corky441

It's not the pace of life than concerns me... it's the sudden stop at the end.

Lovin' "Life with Lauren" that was some road trip

Now, since I run the office at a marina... I know all too well how men getting when they start boat talking
And, since I run the office at the onsite restaurant, I know how chefs get when they starting talking

You were doomed

Hi Charlotte

Me & DH(Dino) Kelly K.C. Magoo Emmett
corky441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 12:22 PM   #1223
apurplebrat

Turning the whole world purple!

Lauren

Charlotte is totally adorable!!
Congrats Auntie!
Old 09-28-2012, 12:52 PM   #1224
Chropistopy
DIS Veteran

She's adorable, Lauren! That picture of the two of you is great...she's so alert.

That was some trip...I would have been in ATL at the time that you were driving through Covington but am touched that you thought of me. Yes, ATL traffic can be a bear around that time.

Old 09-29-2012, 12:04 PM   #1225
Smokey'sMom
Mouseketeer

Love the story, but hate you had endure it. I blame them too.

Charlotte is perfect. I love the pictures. You look so happy.
Cathie
Smokey'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 12:14 PM   #1226
jcb
always emerging from hibernation

Quote:
Originally Posted by stenogoddess View Post
So before we get to the photos, let me give you a little Life of Lauren because in the end I just can't help myself. So I'm sitting in my depo and I know that if it gets done by 12:00 I'm flying up to Atlanta. Any later than 1:00 leaving the house and I'll have to wait until 4:00 to leave the house because the traffic around the ATL is so bad. But I also know that we have four witnesses and two attorneys with what I call Magnolia mouth so it's not going to happen.

We get through with the first two guys and I'm sitting there going back through my work correcting some things while the lawyers talk about the new boat one of them got and the upcoming pig roast they are both going to. No, I was not invited to the pig roast. About 20 minutes slip by and I finally say do you want me to go upstairs to check if the next witness is waiting up there because he's about 20 minutes late. It's 12:20. Oh, the guy says, the last two got rescheduled and we're going to move them to next month.

Let's recap, shall we? I've been sitting in my chair listening to 20 minutes of talk about boats and pigs with NOBODY telling me I could leave when I could have been on the road. Did I really look that interested in that conversation? I can assure you I did not!
I just can't understand this. Lawyers who treat anyone this way, but especially a court reporter, assistant, or court deputy are not just rude, but stupid. Our livelihood depends on all of them.

Now, I will say, one of my favorite "bad lawyer" stories from this year (yes, I collect them) was the New York lawyer who was rude to everyone at the deposition "even the court reporter, who was eventually compelled to leave the deposition due to the abuse of defendants' counsel." The court sanctioned the lawyer $10,000.

But, in any event, I'm glad you got to meet Charlotte. She is beautiful.
Old 09-29-2012, 12:16 PM   #1227
Smokey'sMom
Mouseketeer

I loved Heather's story. We may try the Rhondatini this weekend. I'm not familiar with the Jarritos grapefruit soda. Is it a local only item?

I'm so glad that Maya recovered.
Smokey'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 05:08 AM   #1228
Circusgirl
Queen of the Moisture Festival
ALLORA!!!

Congratulations Auntie!! Charlotte IS perfect, and it is sweet to think about all the fun ahead. How soon is her first Disney trip?

Those attorneys are Karmic toast. As usual you made the story hilarious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey'sMom View Post
I loved Heather's story. We may try the Rhondatini this weekend. I'm not familiar with the Jarritos grapefruit soda. Is it a local only item?

I'm so glad that Maya recovered.
Jarritos is a Mexican soda. It is a light grapefruit flavored sparkly drink. It is readily available in grocery stores here. I'm glad you liked the story!

I'm off in a few minutes to meet Kevin and John for the D23 Epcot 30th anniversary event. Wish you were all here!!!
Circusgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:56 AM   #1229
stenogoddess
DIS Veteran

Thanks everyone for admiring Charlotte with me! They are actually coming to visit us this coming Monday. I wanted them to wait a bit as I have two cats and both mom and dad were very allergic to cats as children, but apparently they have decided to throw caution to the winds. Me, being an over planner/over worrier, asked our stepmother to bring a towel that she had rubbed all over their cat down with her last weekend from Chicago and put it near Charlotte at least so we had a small test done first. Charlotte showed no reaction so that's good. I'm still a little worried though. Closest hospital is Memorial. I double checked!

Jack: I'm surprised about that being a New York lawyer! All the New York ones I've met have been very well behaved. Now, Miami lawyers, you can't pay me. And I mean that literally. I know there has always been a certain disregard by some of our fellow professionals because, let's face it, there are jerks everywhere, but it really seems to be getting a lot worse. There's not too much more I can say without it starting to sound like bashing or something, but a lot of these younger punks need a good thrashing!

Here's a Life of Lauren segment for those of you that can't go without. And it has photos! Our 12 year wedding anniversary was this past Sunday, and I could just jump off from there and show some photos, but where's the fun in that?

Jeri hasn't been getting home until after 9:00 for the past two weeks and he's totally shot out. Most people would feel sorry for him, poor guy, he's so tried, and absent minded. He's basically walking around in a fog and me and this house are lost in it. I always start out really supportive, but by the end of the summer have become, what's the word, annoyed, irritated, resentful, ticked off. Yeah, there's lots of choices. So every year it always happens, and I know it's going to happen but I hate it and fight it but then it happens. So on Saturday, the day before our anniversary, after I had gotten finished washing and ironing all his clothes, washing the sheets and towels, wiping down the living room and making the grocery list while he watched football, it happened. I lost my freaking mind.

HVAC, a profession that's tough on the whole family. Who knew?

I'll skip the ugly bits, mostly because it makes me look bad (he did leave and come home with flowers and a card), and skip to the part where I decided we HAD to get away. I mean HAD to. We were supposed to get away between the old job and the new job, but with no new job we never got away. And, people, we need it. So where can we go? We can't go far? We can't go expensive? Where? Where? Where?

How about DVC's Lovely Hilton Head Island Resort? Just an hour away and a dash of Disney fun! Why have we never been here before I just don't know. It's a beautiful resort. Mostly I think it's because I hate Hilton Head Island with my whole being. That could be it. It's the only place in the world where a child cannot find a McDonalds. I mean, yeah, it's beautiful, but you CANNOT find ANYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!! Every time I work over there I'm pulling my hair out by the roots just to find the depo location. GPS doesn't even really work over there. It's very, very annoying.

But, come to find out, when I'm not on a time crunch trying to find a job, it really is a beautiful island. Don't get me wrong, I would never want to have an emergency and need to find a doctor fast because you'll be dead before you ever discover which palm tree he's hiding under, but vacation, yes, please.

Called Member Services: All we have is a two bedroom. Fine, we'll take it. Thank you.

So we drove over on Sunday and spent the day and the night and then left Monday morning for work. We relaxed, we sat on our porch and looked out at the marsh, which is very zen, we went out on the dock, we went over to the beach side and read books on the beach and waded around in the water. It was heaven. The resort itself is beautiful and restful and very, very clean. It was a quiet day and just walking around was fun and restful. I can really see why this would be someone's home resort, which I had never understood before. I always thought if I wanted to go to the beach I would go down to Vero, which is also a very nice resort. But Hilton Head really does have its own magic about it. I was really impressed with how clean it was too, and I mean outside. They must pressure wash these buildings all the time. Our porch was very clean and not one spiderweb, and where our building was located we should have been covered in spiderwebs.

We both leave for work Monday morning renewed. And, hey, Jeri even made it home by 7:00 last night so that's an improvement. But what was really wonderful is the weather finally broke yesterday and we only hit 72. Thank Goodness! That's all I really wanted for my anniversary anyway!

So check out Hilton Head Resort! We really need some more points now because I can see us doing a real vacation here. A vacation that doesn't involve five hours in the car or a plane? Who would have thunk it?

Old 10-09-2012, 10:58 AM   #1230
stenogoddess
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circusgirl View Post
I'm off in a few minutes to meet Kevin and John for the D23 Epcot 30th anniversary event. Wish you were all here!!!
I wish we had done this event. I loved hearing the podcast about it and it sounded like something right up our alley. Did you enjoy it/feel like you got your money's worth? I mean you had to take a plane to be here and stay in a hotel, so it needs to be pretty great!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: