Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Eating Healthy
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2011, 12:48 AM   #1
Emmanell
Earning My Ears

Spaghetti Squash.

I'd like to put a plug in for spaghetti squash. Although a little expensive, it is a fantastic thing to add to any type of meat. I usually just cut it in half wrap it in plastic wrap, and microwave it. It's really nice, with some seasoned salt and a little butter spray or olive oil.
Emmanell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 02:57 PM   #2
lovesmurfs
I need to start thinking of pithy things to say
It costs him money every time I watch!

Agree! It's really easy to grow if you have a garden, too.

I eat it with spaghetti sauce! You can also cook it in the microwave. Be sure to poke holes deeply into the squash, though. One time, I either heated it too fast or didn't poke enough holes -- It exploded in the microwave and it looked like there were brains everywhere -- my own version of Veggie Tales from the Crypt.

"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society." Mark Twain

"Some people are like Slinkies. They serve no useful purpose, but they sure are fun to push down the stairs."
lovesmurfs is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-23-2011, 05:20 AM   #3
averill94
DIS Veteran

I LOVE it too! Use it just as a side but also as a base for chicken or shrimp parm (baked of course).

It is so yummy, little olive oil and a little sprinkling of parm. I also used to sprinkle some crushed red pepper flaks.
Old 07-12-2012, 11:10 PM   #4
disneyfav4ever
No matter how your heart is grieving, if you keep on believing, the dream that you wish will come true.

Like a PP I just eat it with spaghetti sauce and have it as a meal. Sometimes I'll mix some spinach or something with it. It's a good light dinner.
Old 07-21-2012, 08:54 PM   #5
acourtwdw2
DIS Veteran

I use it as a healthy replacement for pasta for everything including pasta salad and Tia noodles.
Old 07-25-2012, 06:51 AM   #6
Krissalee
DIS Veteran

A week ago I sautéed peppers, onions and zucchini with spicy, lean turkey sausage, and put that on top of the spaghetti squash - it didn't look pretty, but was delicious!

I also like it topped with spaghetti squash and turkey meatballs.
Past Trips: 10/13 BWV (15th Anniversary) 9/13 BWV (Krissy's first solo trip), 11/12 OKW, 10/11 BWV (13th Anniversary), 2/11 SSR (Mom & Dad's 40th Anniversary) , 10/10 SSR (12th Anniversary), 1/10 BWV, 3/09 BWV, 10/08 SSR (10th Anniversary), 10/07 BCV/SSR (9th Anniversary), 10/06 BWV (8th Anniversary), 10/05 BWV (7th Anniversary & Hurricane Wilma), 10/03 BWV (5th Anniversary), 12/02 AKL/YC (my 30th birthday), 3/02 ASM, 10/01 WL (3rd Anniversary), 1999 CBR (Craig's first trip), childhood trips late 70s/early 80s
Krissalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 12:16 PM   #7
t_daniels
They'll NEVER be replaced
Does it make all the boy mooses go BWAH!?

Dying to try this...but a touch intimidated ... I LOVE pasta. DH is very anti starch/carbs though.

The spaghetti squashes I've seen are pretty good size...do they save well??
t_daniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 05:28 PM   #8
Tinkerbell1013
Can't get enough of that Mouse!

I'd love to try spaghetti squash as a replacement for pasta. Any tips on how to pick one, how to cook, how many for 3 people? Any helpful hits are appreciated!
Old 03-15-2013, 11:24 AM   #9
Rose&Mike
DIS Veteran

We eat spaghetti squash about once a week.

The best way I have found to cook is cut in half, scoop out the seeds, polk some holes in the outside and place each half upside down on a piece of parchment paper on a cookie sheet in the oven. I think it takes about 30 minutes, but it depends on the size. I just keep an eye on it and polk the squash and when it is tender it is done.

ETA: Oven temp ~350

The holes let the steam out and makes it less watery as does cooking it on the parchment paper.

There are a bunch of recipes on pinterest and you can do so much with spaghetti squash. Lately we have been having "baked spaghetti" squash. I take the cooked squash out, fluff it a little bit, but don't remove from the shell, add sauce and cheese and reheat in the oven until the cheese melts. In this case DH and I each eat a half of a small squash. We eat it right out the shell.

Upcoming for dinner I have planned spaghetti squash with dried cherries, goat cheese and sauteed red onions.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Rose&Mike; 03-15-2013 at 06:22 PM.
Rose&Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 05:21 PM   #10
Tinkerbell1013
Can't get enough of that Mouse!

Thank you!! Going to buy a couple this weekend and give them a whirl. I'll look on Pinterest although "baked spaghetti" squash sounds yummy!
Old 04-05-2013, 09:37 AM   #11
Iris82
Earning My Ears

Can't believe I've never tried this! I'm going to get some this weekend too. Feel in a bit of a rut with meals at the minute, it's so hard to think of new things to cook, feel like we have the same every week.
Iris82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 10:10 AM   #12
gracigirl
Earning My Ears

I've been wanting to try this
gracigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 11:46 AM   #13
Lemonademouth
DIS Veteran

Last week we had spaghetti squash pancakes. My husband made them with almond flour and a few other ingredients I cannot remember. They were delicious.
Lemonademouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 12:47 PM   #14
::danielle::
Mouseketeer

I also eat it to replace pasta. I remove the seeds, boil one half in water, drain it, then scrape the flesh to make "noodles."

They are a pain to cut but our grocery stores will cut it in half for you.

"Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age, dreams are forever." ~Walt Disney.

Disneyland 2009 (Candy Cane Inn)

Disney World March 2-11 2012 (POP, WBC, POR split stay)

Disney World Dec 14-21 (BLT)
::danielle:: is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 03:46 PM   #15
Merandab4
DIS Veteran

We also love spaghetti Squash.

Here is a tip I've learned to help cut them in half, ( Because yes they are difficult to cut and you want to make sure you cut them evenly in half so both take the same amount of time to bake)

Put the entire squash in the oven for about 15-20 minutes. That softens it up and makes it MUCH easier to cut.

Before I found out I could do that, I use to cut it at room tempature with a large knife and it was quite intimidating... i never knew if the knife was gonna slip and I would cut myself in the process
Merandab4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: