Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 12:16 PM   #2536
sharadoc
Visiting Disney World since 1986, happily driving every trip since 1994.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasil72 View Post
All knowing DIS drivers, I need your help, please. We're heading to my happy place next Thursday and AAA, Google and MapQuest are all giving me different routes. Typically, we just head down 295 to 95 then 495 around DC and back to 95 the rest of the way down. My concern this year is that we're leaving around 11AM and I think that will dump us in the middle of the Richmond rush. Any suggestions?
Don't use 495 around DC either. Especially 495 west, it's always backed up with traffic or construction. We have found that's always a disaster so we make sure we stay on 95 through DC. If you're leaving around 11 am, you should be hitting DC between 1 and 2 so you should be fine traffic-wise there. 295 around Richmond is a good choice too.

Watch Osborne Lights 2013 Winter Wonderland! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcF2eEkqtWk

6X POFQ; 3X ASMu FS, FW cabin; 2x BWV, OKW; 1X BCV, YC, CR-TPV, SSR plus many offsite in the 80's
Old 03-21-2013, 12:38 PM   #2537
Hasil72
DIS Veteran

Thank you everyone!

We have to have these things planned out ahead of time otherwise DS, who is on the Autism spectrum, will have a panic attack thinking we don't know where we're going. Now I just need for Thursday to get here!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-21-2013, 01:43 PM   #2538
nono
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharadoc View Post
Don't use 495 around DC either. Especially 495 west, it's always backed up with traffic or construction. We have found that's always a disaster so we make sure we stay on 95 through DC.
Pardon my confusion. It's been some time since we've done this route on the way down, since we often take the ferry, but how can one stay on 95 through DC? Doesn't it still end at the Beltway? Or is there something new these days? Please help me understand.
Old 03-21-2013, 03:53 PM   #2539
NJRRK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nono

Pardon my confusion. It's been some time since we've done this route on the way down, since we often take the ferry, but how can one stay on 95 through DC? Doesn't it still end at the Beltway? Or is there something new these days? Please help me understand.
The eastern side of the beltway is double signed as I-95 AND I-495.

I hope that quelled any confusion.

Enjoy the trip.

4/76 - offsite, 4/77 - CR, 4/78 - CR, 4/79 - FW Trailer, 5/80 - CR, 5/82 - Disney Inn, 12/82 - FW Trailer, 5/83 - DL California, 12/83 - CR, 9/84 - CR, 1/85 - CR, 3/88 - Disney Village suites (later Disney Institute, where SSR is now), 8/96 - DxL (POR), 8/07 - CR, 10/08 - CR Atrium
Old 03-21-2013, 04:36 PM   #2540
busymama224
Earning My Ears

Are you taking the I-75 route?

We are planning to take the I-75 route. Is there a better way that we should explore? Any tips are greatly appreciated
Old 03-22-2013, 06:06 AM   #2541
Mommee
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by busymama224 View Post
Are you taking the I-75 route?

We are planning to take the I-75 route. Is there a better way that we should explore? Any tips are greatly appreciated
Not sure if you're talking to me, but we always do. I know there's some scenic ways to go, but I prefer the straight shot. There's a great book called Along I-75 by Dave Hunter that we keep open. It's not only a map but shows you attractions, where cops are, rest areas, restaurants, etc. It's satisfying to flip a page on some of the boring straight areas
Old 03-22-2013, 06:24 AM   #2542
nono
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJRRK View Post
The eastern side of the beltway is double signed as I-95 AND I-495.

I hope that quelled any confusion.
Ah! Man, I got all excited at the possibility for a minute that there was finally a full highway connector through town!

Thanks for the info!
Old 03-22-2013, 08:11 AM   #2543
angbuz
Mouseketeer

Joining in! We are 90% sure we are driving to WDW leaving Aug 21st from South Jersey (about 10 miles from Del. Mem. bridge). We've done many driving trips, but never this long (longest is probably Hilton Head, SC, which is 12 hrs). My concern is that we are coming home from Florida on Labor Day weekend (probably leaving Sat or Sun at the latest). Anyone have any experience driving on I95 on Labor Day weekend?
August 2010 - BC
August 2013 - POLY :
Old 03-22-2013, 10:32 AM   #2544
sharadoc
Visiting Disney World since 1986, happily driving every trip since 1994.

Quote:
Originally Posted by angbuz View Post
Joining in! We are 90% sure we are driving to WDW leaving Aug 21st from South Jersey (about 10 miles from Del. Mem. bridge). We've done many driving trips, but never this long (longest is probably Hilton Head, SC, which is 12 hrs). My concern is that we are coming home from Florida on Labor Day weekend (probably leaving Sat or Sun at the latest). Anyone have any experience driving on I95 on Labor Day weekend?
I think this will be terrible no matter what day of that weekend. Are you driving straight through? What time do you expect to hit DC on what day?

Watch Osborne Lights 2013 Winter Wonderland! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcF2eEkqtWk

6X POFQ; 3X ASMu FS, FW cabin; 2x BWV, OKW; 1X BCV, YC, CR-TPV, SSR plus many offsite in the 80's
Old 03-22-2013, 11:04 AM   #2545
ohiopugmom
Earning My Ears

getting excited about our sept. drive from northeast ohio! 77-26-95

Probably going to leave 6pm and hope to arrive before noon on the next day. Hoping I won't be too tired that first day as we want to hit a park.

Thinking about stopping on the way back for safety's sake. Will go to a park on leaving day. I am trying to figure out when to leave and where to stop so we don't have a crazy long day on the second day drive......

thoughts??
Old 03-22-2013, 11:20 AM   #2546
nono
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by angbuz View Post
Last year we left the shore via the ferry and went through VA Beach at 5 p.m. on the Saturday of Labor Day weekend. It was dead (everyone was off the highway and where they wanted to be, I suppose). We stopped for the evening in Emporia, VA and left around 5:30 a.m. Sunday morning and were in DtD by 5 p.m. or so (going from memory, so those two numbers might be backwards). No traffic tie ups. Are you planning a straight shot back or are you planning to break it up into two days? If you are going in one shot, I would choose Sunday, as it looked just as dead coming in the other direction. I would check baseball schedules and work around those for the northern part of your trip, but I would definitely give it a shot.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:24 AM   #2547
busymama224
Earning My Ears

Thanks for the tip on the book. I am definitely going to look into it!
Old 03-22-2013, 02:05 PM   #2548
angbuz
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nono View Post
Last year we left the shore via the ferry and went through VA Beach at 5 p.m. on the Saturday of Labor Day weekend. It was dead (everyone was off the highway and where they wanted to be, I suppose). We stopped for the evening in Emporia, VA and left around 5:30 a.m. Sunday morning and were in DtD by 5 p.m. or so (going from memory, so those two numbers might be backwards). No traffic tie ups. Are you planning a straight shot back or are you planning to break it up into two days? If you are going in one shot, I would choose Sunday, as it looked just as dead coming in the other direction. I would check baseball schedules and work around those for the northern part of your trip, but I would definitely give it a shot.
Thanks!! We were planning on driving straight thru so maybe we better consider leaving Sunday. We're staying with my parents our last two days so our leave time is pretty flexible. We thought about leaving in the evening and driving straight thru the night, but not sure if that's such a great idea. I think we'll be too tired from our trip.
August 2010 - BC
August 2013 - POLY :
Old 03-22-2013, 02:11 PM   #2549
angbuz
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharadoc View Post
I think this will be terrible no matter what day of that weekend. Are you driving straight through? What time do you expect to hit DC on what day?
I'm really hoping we're not sorry for traveling that weekend. We had considered leaving Saturday evening and driving straight thru to avoid traffic. I'm so afraid my DH will be too tired after our 11 day trip. I guess he can take a long nap on Saturday......
August 2010 - BC
August 2013 - POLY :
Old 03-22-2013, 02:32 PM   #2550
NJRRK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by angbuz

I'm really hoping we're not sorry for traveling that weekend. We had considered leaving Saturday evening and driving straight thru to avoid traffic. I'm so afraid my DH will be too tired after our 11 day trip. I guess he can take a long nap on Saturday......
As long as you are driving north Saturday or Sunday should be fine. I've done the trip to northern NJ that weekend a number of times, no major problems.

4/76 - offsite, 4/77 - CR, 4/78 - CR, 4/79 - FW Trailer, 5/80 - CR, 5/82 - Disney Inn, 12/82 - FW Trailer, 5/83 - DL California, 12/83 - CR, 9/84 - CR, 1/85 - CR, 3/88 - Disney Village suites (later Disney Institute, where SSR is now), 8/96 - DxL (POR), 8/07 - CR, 10/08 - CR Atrium
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: