Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 04:51 PM   #2446
LOVEMY3KIDDOS
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvczerfs View Post
if you leave around 3pm, your biggest problems will be from i78 through harrrisburg. you should be okay once you hit west virginia.
when in the fall are you going?
We are going to be leaving October 30. I figure it won't travel as fast as if it were in the middle of the night, but 78 should not be totally slow right? Last year DC added about 45 minutes!

And when you say your times include stops...can you elaborate? LOL We have 3 kids so our stops and yours are probably different I'm guessing. Last time we stopped 3 times. Two were to get gas and go to the bathroom...so 10 minutes. The third was to eat...but McDonald's so like 20 minutes tops. Oh...then we needed to stop one last time about an hour out of WDW because we didn't fill up with the McD's stop.So, 4 stops...45 or so minutes. I'm guessing we will do about the same this time too. But, not make an extra stop. Rather, we would eat when we stop for the first fill up.

Also, we will need to get to a store and get water and some other items. What is a good place to go for that? Doesn't need to be on the way. We will probably get that after settling in.

Check out my etsy shop: WallScraps for handmade personalized Disney autograph books, countdowns and scrapbooks!

Last edited by LOVEMY3KIDDOS; 02-19-2013 at 04:57 PM.
Old 02-19-2013, 05:09 PM   #2447
Colleen27
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OklahomaTourist View Post
Darn! This is apparently only along the I-95 route into Florida, not I-75.

Or is there one, and I've just missed it EVERY time I've gone?
Hmmm, when do you pass through? The welcome center Facebook page says they're open 8 to 5, so you might very well have missed it every time you've gone.

Tickerless once more...Kid-free trip on hold until fall 2014
How a Year Off Became a Year of Disney Magic! PTR
My Training Blog - From Fluffy to Fit: A Pooh Sized Runner's Quest to Run Disney
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-19-2013, 05:51 PM   #2448
Calle&Jakesmom
DIS Veteran

Ugghh... looks like rain for most of our drive on Saturday (DC, Viginia, NC, SC, GA) and then maybe clearing up by the Florida border. I guess it could be worse (and the forcast still might change), but we always look forward to our rest stop breaks for a chance to walk around and feel the weather getting warmer as we head south.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:35 PM   #2449
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVEMY3KIDDOS View Post
We are going to be leaving October 30. I figure it won't travel as fast as if it were in the middle of the night, but 78 should not be totally slow right? Last year DC added about 45 minutes!

And when you say your times include stops...can you elaborate? LOL We have 3 kids so our stops and yours are probably different I'm guessing. Last time we stopped 3 times. Two were to get gas and go to the bathroom...so 10 minutes. The third was to eat...but McDonald's so like 20 minutes tops. Oh...then we needed to stop one last time about an hour out of WDW because we didn't fill up with the McD's stop.So, 4 stops...45 or so minutes. I'm guessing we will do about the same this time too. But, not make an extra stop. Rather, we would eat when we stop for the first fill up.

Also, we will need to get to a store and get water and some other items. What is a good place to go for that? Doesn't need to be on the way. We will probably get that after settling in.
you stop less then i do. starting out we will drive about 4 hours. after that, about every two hours or so. we hit the reststops and we dont linger, we are in and out. we also dont stop for sit down meals. mcds etc... and eat it on the road.
i78 is a toss up. sometimes its a crawl and other times its 70-75mph. leaving at that time of the day, your chances would be better heading 78/81 then heading down to the philly area to hit i95 through philly, baltimore and washington dc.

PROUD DAD OF A DISNEY COLLEGE PROGRAM DAUGHTER!!! FALL ADVANTAGE 2013 MK-ODF ALUMNI !!!!!
2000+ MILE ROUND TRIP DRIVING THREAD.. DOUBLE DIAMOND DRIVER!

Old 02-19-2013, 07:53 PM   #2450
LOVEMY3KIDDOS
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvczerfs View Post
you stop less then i do. starting out we will drive about 4 hours. after that, about every two hours or so. we hit the reststops and we dont linger, we are in and out. we also dont stop for sit down meals. mcds etc... and eat it on the road.
i78 is a toss up. sometimes its a crawl and other times its 70-75mph. leaving at that time of the day, your chances would be better heading 78/81 then heading down to the philly area to hit i95 through philly, baltimore and washington dc.
Ha! So don't tell my kids! They actually were good and didn't drink too excessively on the last trip so we didn't need to stop more than the gas stops and eating. So, we should be (even with a mcdonald's sit down) around the same time as you since we will stop less frequently. I would love (and so would DH) to shave 2 hours or close to it! I'll bring snacks so we will only need dinner and I will be sure to do that when we need to refuel the first time. So, kill two birds with one stone Then, figure one more gas stop before they go to sleep for the night so they can go to the bathroom then. Then last stop will be while they sleep...then Disney!! (Hopefully) Thinking far ahead but already excited!

Check out my etsy shop: WallScraps for handmade personalized Disney autograph books, countdowns and scrapbooks!
Old 02-20-2013, 12:06 AM   #2451
stasijane
Crazed one

I am excited but a bit unprepaired. It looks like the big snow storm comming toward the Midwest has us leaving a day early. I would rather leave a day early then try to drive in snow and ice.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:31 AM   #2452
BC1836
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stasijane View Post
I am excited but a bit unprepaired. It looks like the big snow storm comming toward the Midwest has us leaving a day early. I would rather leave a day early then try to drive in snow and ice.
You have just identified a major advantage that driving to WDW has over flying: flexibility, especially regarding weather concerns.

Imagine if you had air tix and wanted to leave a day early!

All the best.
The 20th Century...'74-'00 (23 visits): Multiple stays at the Contemporary, Golf Resort, Old Key West, Port Orleans, Polynesian, Dixie Landings, Grand Floridian, offsite locations + one Disneyland trip.

The 21st Century (38 visits): '01: Yacht Club.....'02: Animal Kingdom Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'03: Wilderness Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'04: Grand Floridian.....'05: Beach Club & Grand Floridian.....'06: (May) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club.....'07: (March) Polynesian & Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Coronado Springs & Grand Floridian; '08: (March) Port Orleans Riverside & Polynesian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (June) Paradise Pier @ Disneyland; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Beach Club; '09 (March) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Grand Floridian; (Dec.) Grand Floridian; '10 (March) Grand Floridian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'11 (April) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'12 (March-April) Grand Floridian: Presidential Suite; (May) Grand Californian @ Disneyland; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian...'13 (April) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite; (Oct.) Boardwalk; (Dec.) Beach Club & Grand Floridian...'14 (April) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite.
Old 02-20-2013, 02:44 PM   #2453
cruisingkat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OklahomaTourist View Post
Darn! This is apparently only along the I-95 route into Florida, not I-75.

Or is there one, and I've just missed it EVERY time I've gone?
There are several - one on I95, one on I75 and even one on I10.

Here is a link to the Florida Welcome Centers:
http://www.visitflorida.com/articles...elcome-centers
Old 02-20-2013, 02:47 PM   #2454
OklahomaTourist
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisingkat View Post

Here is a link to the Florida Welcome Centers:
http://www.visitflorida.com/articles...elcome-centers
Awesome! Thanks!
Old 02-20-2013, 03:38 PM   #2455
MIChessGuy
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisingkat View Post
I make it a point always to stop at the I-75 welcome center. They have many shelves of free tourist literature, along with free orange juice and grapefruit juice. I believe their vending area has a change machine, helpful in case plans include a lot of driving on Florida toll roads.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:38 AM   #2456
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"

Quote:
Originally Posted by stasijane View Post

Have fun! Looks like the storm is a bit later than predicted, so hopefully you got a nice head start!!
Old 02-23-2013, 10:08 PM   #2457
BC1836
DIS Veteran

Who will be making the first 2,000+ mile round trip drive of March?

All the best.
The 20th Century...'74-'00 (23 visits): Multiple stays at the Contemporary, Golf Resort, Old Key West, Port Orleans, Polynesian, Dixie Landings, Grand Floridian, offsite locations + one Disneyland trip.

The 21st Century (38 visits): '01: Yacht Club.....'02: Animal Kingdom Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'03: Wilderness Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'04: Grand Floridian.....'05: Beach Club & Grand Floridian.....'06: (May) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club.....'07: (March) Polynesian & Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Coronado Springs & Grand Floridian; '08: (March) Port Orleans Riverside & Polynesian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (June) Paradise Pier @ Disneyland; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Beach Club; '09 (March) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Grand Floridian; (Dec.) Grand Floridian; '10 (March) Grand Floridian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'11 (April) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'12 (March-April) Grand Floridian: Presidential Suite; (May) Grand Californian @ Disneyland; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian...'13 (April) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite; (Oct.) Boardwalk; (Dec.) Beach Club & Grand Floridian...'14 (April) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:27 PM   #2458
Colleen27
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1836 View Post

All the best.
I might have that honor - we're leaving around 2:30pm on the 1st with a slight detour to pick up the friend that is joining us on this trip. I should be on I75 and be Florida bound by 4.

Tickerless once more...Kid-free trip on hold until fall 2014
How a Year Off Became a Year of Disney Magic! PTR
My Training Blog - From Fluffy to Fit: A Pooh Sized Runner's Quest to Run Disney
Old 02-24-2013, 08:43 PM   #2459
Tinker'n'Fun
"apple", peaches, "pumpkin pie", who's not ready holler "I"...
i'm just trying to be optimistic!
I am SO CLUELESS and I hate it!!

Just returned from our first ever "drive" to Disney. It was a combination trip. We left WNY and made it to Charlotte, NC the first day. From there we went to Jacksonville to visit a friend and final destination was Tampa to visit UT for my DS. We then made it to Disney for 2 days. Sad - all that driving and just 2 days at Disney.

We left and did some shopping at the outlets and stopped for oranges and pecans and made it to Mt. Airy, NC the first day. Visited the area and made it back to WNY the next day.

All together 2758. Not bad for our first time. I would do it again, maybe leave the 17 yo boy at home, but DH and I enjoyed it.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:35 AM   #2460
Tanooki
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1836 View Post

All the best.
We should leave around 5am on March 1st so it might be us

This will be our 6th drive but it's also a family reunion since my sister, her family and our parents will travel as well in my sister's minivan and it'll be a first for them
We plan on leaving together but not on absolutely following each other as planning potty breaks for 12 people would be too hard (it's difficult enough with 6 people in the car...)

Getting close...
Sept/Oct 1999 : Offsite - My first time, me and dh only Aug 2008 : Offsite (rental home) - First family trip! Aug 2009 : Offsite (rental home) Feb/Mar 2010 : Offsite (rental home) Dec 2010 : First time onsite - At Pop! Feb/Mar 2011 : Onsite at RPR (Universal) Aug 2011 : Onsite at Pop! Aug 2012 : Offsite (rental home) March 2013 : Offsite (rental home) - Family Reunion! August 2013 : Bonnet Creek - August 2014 : Back to Pop for free dining!

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: