Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 02:03 PM   #2416
emmsmama
Mouseketeer

What places should I avoid at what times? Last time we drove to WDW, the only place we hit some traffic was in Nashville, but I can't remember for sure what time we went through there and it wasn't all that bad. I remember it was dark so it must have been after 6pm or so. I'm trying to figure out what time to leave Windsor, ON to make the best time on the roads and drive about 12 hrs. the first day.
Old 02-17-2013, 02:09 PM   #2417
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"

We sailed through Nashville at 3:00 and Atlanta at 8:00 pm. But we hit Chattanooga at 5:00 pm and lost an hour. Heading East, there is that nasty hill on the far side of town, and it slowed all the trucks. The backup accordianed all through the city.
Register to remove

Old 02-17-2013, 03:16 PM   #2418
pwdebbie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calle&Jakesmom View Post
It's finally almost time!! We're leaving this Friday on our drive from southern NH. Can't wait! Just hoping the weather remains cooperative.

Planning on diverting from our regular straight-down 95 route and instead taking 84 to 81 in PA with an overnight stay in Gettysburg ($52 deal at the Days Inn). From there over to the DC beltway and back on 95 (with 295 around Richmond).
Seems like the travel time will be about the same, but $$ in tolls will be avoided as well as some heavy traffic in and around NYC, Jersey, and Baltimore.
Hate to mention this, but do keep your eye on the weather. Snow was mentioned for this coming weekend. I'm just west of Gettysburg.
Old 02-17-2013, 03:18 PM   #2419
Calle&Jakesmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwdebbie View Post
Hate to mention this, but do keep your eye on the weather. Snow was mentioned for this coming weekend. I'm just west of Gettysburg.
Thank you. Yes, I see snow/wintery mix for Gettysburg and snow for Scranton for Friday. Worried that it's going to slow us down. I'll keep an eye on it and hope it changes!
Old 02-17-2013, 03:19 PM   #2420
Colleen27
DIS Veteran

Okay I-75 travelers, I'm finding tons of info from East Coasters on their route but not so much in the way of tips and hints for heading down 75. Any notorious speed traps I should be aware of? Rest stops to steer clear of, or ones that tend to be safer/cleaner than others? Weird traffic quirks aside from the usual rush hours around bigger cities?

Tickerless once more...Kid-free trip on hold until fall 2014
How a Year Off Became a Year of Disney Magic! PTR
My Training Blog - From Fluffy to Fit: A Pooh Sized Runner's Quest to Run Disney
Old 02-17-2013, 03:26 PM   #2421
Salrx95
Mouseketeer

Back home about 90 minutes ago. Snowed all thru NC last night after lots of wind and some in Georgia so we stayed over in Petersburg instead of our target of Fredericksburg. No traffic anywhere both legs. We had left about 5 hours earlier than expected to ahead of the rain/snow coming north due to Nemo.

Luckily, we did drive. Otherwise, our flights was likely to be the morning Nemo hit and we'd not have gotten out.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:07 PM   #2422
emmsmama
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbo4x4 View Post
We sailed through Nashville at 3:00 and Atlanta at 8:00 pm. But we hit Chattanooga at 5:00 pm and lost an hour. Heading East, there is that nasty hill on the far side of town, and it slowed all the trucks. The backup accordianed all through the city.
Thanks, I'll try to time it so we don't hit Chattanooga at suppertime. I was looking at a map and now I'm thinking we must not have gone through Nashville because that's not along I-75. I can't remember for sure where it was we hit traffic then, hmmm, maybe it was Cleveland, or maybe it was around where we saw signs to get to Nashville. Either way, most of the time was smooth driving with no holdups, so that was nice, but it was a different time of year.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:25 PM   #2423
Flyerfan
Hockey lovin' OLTL addict with a deep desire for Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneymarie View Post
Hello dvszerfs,
Have a great dinner, I thought we were crazy going from I 80 I 81 junction to Tamaqua for Italian dinners.
La Dolce Casa (Dimaggio's)? Excellent food!
Oct1989 Off site...Jan 1996 Dixie Landings...Jan 2006 POR....Dec 2006 POFQ...January 2008 SSR...Nov '08 OKW/Swan/SSR...Sept '09 BWV/YC....Nov '09 AKV/ SSR....July '10 SSR...Oct '10 HHI...Nov '11 SSR/BLT....May 2013 POR

Old 02-17-2013, 06:25 PM   #2424
pigletto
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colleen27 View Post
Okay I-75 travelers, I'm finding tons of info from East Coasters on their route but not so much in the way of tips and hints for heading down 75. Any notorious speed traps I should be aware of? Rest stops to steer clear of, or ones that tend to be safer/cleaner than others? Weird traffic quirks aside from the usual rush hours around bigger cities?
I'm not the best person to answer this but we have researched driving and saw the book Along I-75 is highly recommended for all this type of info. I've seen it mentioned in a dozen threads as a must have for that route.So you may want to look into getting that if you have time. Here's a link
http://www.i75online.com/I75BookInfo.html
Old 02-17-2013, 06:56 PM   #2425
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmsmama View Post
Thanks, I'll try to time it so we don't hit Chattanooga at suppertime. I was looking at a map and now I'm thinking we must not have gone through Nashville because that's not along I-75. I can't remember for sure where it was we hit traffic then, hmmm, maybe it was Cleveland, or maybe it was around where we saw signs to get to Nashville. Either way, most of the time was smooth driving with no holdups, so that was nice, but it was a different time of year.
Coming South on I75 you probably won't have the issue with Chattanooga we did. You'll just skirt the city and won't have that hill to deal with. We backed up on I24 where it plugs into 75, but as soon as we got on 75, it opened up again.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:03 PM   #2426
MIChessGuy
Mouseketeer

Coming down I-75, I cannot remember encountering any delays in Chattanooga on any trip. I think the most likely trouble spot is Atlanta. In my case, because my travel days are always on the weekend, it rarely comes up. About three trips ago, they were working a construction project in Atlanta even on the weekend. We avoided most of the delay by using the HOV lane, if I remember correctly. And about a year ago, I got to Gainesville FL a few hours after a massive smashup that was caused by sudden blinding smoke on the interstate. I had to drive around it on state highways and rejoin I-75 beyond the accident scene.

Anyway, I'd suggest taking a look at the Traffic view on Google Maps for the major urban areas that you will be passing through. If anything seems amiss, you can probably get more details from the state transportation dept's website.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:38 PM   #2427
LOVEMY3KIDDOS
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvczerfs View Post
it takes me 16 1/2 hours if i take 81/66/17/95/4. it takes me 15 1/2 hours using 81/77/26/95/4. for me it is 24 miles longer going 81/77/26/95/4 but i make it up in less traffic.
on the 81/77/26/95/4 route...where (which towns) do you pick up each route? I can easily get 81 from here.

ETA: We were scheduled to fly out last year on Halloween. Well, Sandy cancelled that. We had considered driving but got good airfare rates. So, when that whole idea went out the window, we decided to drive and still take the vacation. We were refunded our air and rented a bigger car. We picked up 95 I think when we were still in PA...maybe MD? LOL I was not driving then so didn't pay close attention. Anyway, we sat in DC...and sat...and sat. The trip took about 18 hours with stops (3 total for about 15 minutes each) from Tannersville area. Seems to me that we should be able to trim some time? We are definitely driving this year. We have recently bought a new car and it has a lot more room. So, we don't need to put out anything but the gas...cheaper than flying. I'd like to be better prepared this time and try to trim some time. Last year it was sort of running around with Sandy and we just went...no prep as far as the driving part.

Check out my etsy shop: WallScraps for handmade personalized Disney autograph books, countdowns and scrapbooks!

Last edited by LOVEMY3KIDDOS; 02-18-2013 at 10:04 AM.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:35 AM   #2428
DSLRuser
Age is a state of mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIChessGuy View Post
Coming down I-75, I cannot remember encountering any delays in Chattanooga on any trip. I think the most likely trouble spot is Atlanta. ...

We avoided most of the delay by using the HOV lane, if I remember correctly. .
We hit Nashville at 10:00pm, chatanooga at 12:00pm, and atlanta around 2:00am. So we dont see any traffic at all.

I will agree with using the HOV lanes in atlanta, but YOU HAVE TO PAY ATTENTION to the road signs. At times, the HOV lane goes way off on it's on and can cause some folks to panic and think they have to get out of the lane. Just follow the signs, and you will soon pick up i-75 again.

our return trip has us hit Atlants around 7:00pm, so we do tend to see a little traffic. just watch the signs and take one of the bypasses as needed.
Port Orleans FQ x3
Coranado Springs
Caribbean Beach Club
Contemporary Resort
Animal Kingdom Lodge
Yacht Club
Polynesian Resort
<<Disney Wonder>>
Marriot Sable Palms x 4
Marriot Royal Palms x 4
Bonnet Creek x 3
Marriot Cypress Harbor x 2
Marriot Grande Vista
Old 02-18-2013, 10:07 AM   #2429
LadyBeBop
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmsmama View Post
Yeah, I was wondering about your track when you said you're from Windsor, and had trouble in Nashville. You shouldn't come within 150 miles from Nashville. Or Cleveland.

You might have had problems in Knoxville, TN. You do travel through the middle of town. Although I've never had any problems going through Knoxville. You might have hit it during a University of Tennessee football game. College football is huge down there.

I'm assuming you're travelling on a weekday. Your big trouble spots would be Atlanta, and possibly Cincinnati. It's about 4 1/2 to 5 hours from Windsor to Cincinnati, and another 7 1/2 hours from Cincinnati to Atlanta. So figure on about an even 12 hours from Windsor to Atlanta.

I guess leaving about 7 AM your time will get you through Cincinnati about noon and the other side of Atlanta about 7:30 or 8 PM. That's probably doable without hitting rush hour. Leave much earlier, and you'll either hit Cincinnati morning rush hour or Atlanta evening rush hour.

You wn't have problems with rush hour on weekends. Depending on what time of year you're going, you could hit Cincinnati Reds or Atlanta Braves traffic. You should be find if you stay in the far left lane in Atlanta.

Knoxville shouldn't be too much of an issue and Lexington and Chattanooga aren't issues since you bypass those towns. PM me if you have questions regarding Cincinnati, since I live in the general area. Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1836 View Post
What? 2019 or 2020? Say it ain't so!

You must "sneak in a day" next year. That's an order!
Old 02-18-2013, 10:39 AM   #2430
emmsmama
Mouseketeer

Thanks for all the info. everyone We live farther up north now, so we are driving Friday night after dh gets off work to Windsor (approx. 8-9 hrs.). Then I figured we'd leave Windsor around 9am so we are well rested and drive for about 12-14 hours until we get tired. Then Sunday we will only have about 5-6 hours left to drive to be in Florida. I haven't even planned out the drive home yet because I want to focus on getting to the fun, not leaving it.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: