Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 08:39 PM   #2251
mrjef
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyBeBop View Post
We live fairly close to you. We're in the Cincinnati area.
We are in the Indy area. We tried going through Cincinnati once, but it was a little bit longer than our normal path.
2013 BoardWalk Villas
2013 Beach Club Resort
Old 01-16-2013, 09:30 AM   #2252
LadyBeBop
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjef View Post
We are in the Indy area. We tried going through Cincinnati once, but it was a little bit longer than our normal path.
It's a nice diversion than going 65/24 (and I hate going through Nashville...even more than Atlanta). However 74/75 is longer than 65/24/75.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1836 View Post
What? 2019 or 2020? Say it ain't so!

You must "sneak in a day" next year. That's an order!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-16-2013, 01:04 PM   #2253
marius97
DIS Veteran

Quote:
It's a nice diversion than going 65/24 (and I hate going through Nashville...even more than Atlanta). However 74/75 is longer than 65/24/75.
We're a ways north of Indy and we HATE going through Nashville. We go through Cincy every time now. I'd have to agree, with the bypass and all the extra lanes, Atlanta is way better than Nashville.
Old 01-16-2013, 04:27 PM   #2254
Shir Kahn
DIS Veteran

Quote:
We've got no problems going through Nashville, but we absolutely hate going through Atlanta. We haven't driven through Atlanta yet without at some point having to come to a complete stop because of something or other. This trip, on the way down it was because of some serious accident that had taken place 10 hours earlier and they were still cleaning up after it, causing us an extra hour getting out of there, and on the way back we were doing 0-15 mph for a good 10 mile stretch for no reason that we ever found. The trip before was a nightmare, 3 separate accidents on a one-mile stretch of road. It took us forever to get past that.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:38 PM   #2255
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"

We zinged straight through Nashville and Atlanta, but lost an hour in Chattanooga of all places LOL
Old 01-17-2013, 08:29 AM   #2256
Chuck-PA
DIS Veteran

Thank you to all who responded to my questions.
This is a great thread.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:54 AM   #2257
DSLRuser
Age is a state of mind

going down

We hit Nashville around 10:00pm. Highways are genreally pretty quiet. Altanta is around 2:00am. Again no issue what so ever. these are the bonuses of driving straight thorugh over night.

now on the way back, atlanta is around 7:00pm. usually its on a weekend, but if there is a baseball game traffic can be bad. just watch google maps and the signs. be ready to take one of the bypass loops on a moments notice.

Nashville in the way home is at around midnight. only problem here is the last 5 hours of a trip after a long vacation are the worst. we just want to get out of the car at this point.
Port Orleans FQ x3
Coranado Springs
Caribbean Beach Club
Contemporary Resort
Animal Kingdom Lodge
Yacht Club
Polynesian Resort
<<Disney Wonder>>
Marriot Sable Palms x 4
Marriot Royal Palms x 4
Bonnet Creek x 3
Marriot Cypress Harbor x 2
Marriot Grande Vista
Old 01-17-2013, 09:57 AM   #2258
DSLRuser
Age is a state of mind

on a related note. A coworker just did the drive this weekend from st louis. 64 > 57 > 24 > 75 > turnppike. He drove down for a short weekend. thursday to monday.

but said no issues on the drive. no major construction that set him back.

We go March 15. hope that hold true for us as well.
Port Orleans FQ x3
Coranado Springs
Caribbean Beach Club
Contemporary Resort
Animal Kingdom Lodge
Yacht Club
Polynesian Resort
<<Disney Wonder>>
Marriot Sable Palms x 4
Marriot Royal Palms x 4
Bonnet Creek x 3
Marriot Grande Vista
Old 01-17-2013, 10:00 AM   #2259
DSLRuser
Age is a state of mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbo4x4 View Post
We'd never make it. We're about an hour West of STL and Paducah is always stop 2 or even 3
Read your trip report.

you are not too far from us. You are in the Sullivan area, we are in eureka.
Port Orleans FQ x3
Coranado Springs
Caribbean Beach Club
Contemporary Resort
Animal Kingdom Lodge
Yacht Club
Polynesian Resort
<<Disney Wonder>>
Marriot Sable Palms x 4
Marriot Royal Palms x 4
Bonnet Creek x 3
Marriot Grande Vista
Old 01-17-2013, 11:46 AM   #2260
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSLRuser View Post
Read your trip report.

you are not too far from us. You are in the Sullivan area, we are in eureka.
Hey neighbor

I'm actually about 20 miles North of Sullivan - we're in Union school district, although actually closer to both New Haven & Washington

My nephew goes to Eureka HS
Old 01-18-2013, 07:33 PM   #2261
BC1836
DIS Veteran

Ah...to be back on the road to WDW once again. Alas, months to go....

All the best.
The 20th Century...'74-'00 (23 visits): Multiple stays at the Contemporary, Golf Resort, Old Key West, Port Orleans, Polynesian, Dixie Landings, Grand Floridian, offsite locations + one Disneyland trip.

The 21st Century (38 visits): '01: Yacht Club.....'02: Animal Kingdom Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'03: Wilderness Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'04: Grand Floridian.....'05: Beach Club & Grand Floridian.....'06: (May) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club.....'07: (March) Polynesian & Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Coronado Springs & Grand Floridian; '08: (March) Port Orleans Riverside & Polynesian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (June) Paradise Pier @ Disneyland; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Beach Club; '09 (March) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Grand Floridian; (Dec.) Grand Floridian; '10 (March) Grand Floridian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'11 (April) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'12 (March-April) Grand Floridian: Presidential Suite; (May) Grand Californian @ Disneyland; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian...'13 (April) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite; (Oct.) Boardwalk; (Dec.) Beach Club & Grand Floridian...'14 (April) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite...(Aug.) Grand Floridian
Old 01-19-2013, 07:54 PM   #2262
geffric
DH thinks I'm funny -- but I tell him it's like a hobby!
I found myself checking for new posting while I am at work, at home, doing homework
I have LOTS of really nice Disney loving friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSLRuser View Post
We go March 15. hope that hold true for us as well.

wave to us if you drive by..we will be there too..70 to 65 is the question?? or 70 to 57??

Old 01-19-2013, 08:13 PM   #2263
lsg1
Mouseketeer

Packing up the car now...we'll be leaving 6:30am tomorrow morning from NYC
WL 9 times from 1997-2008
CBR 95,Disney Inn 93
Offsite 91,88,87,77

Me , DH , DD , DS , DD

Last edited by lsg1; 01-19-2013 at 08:18 PM.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:02 PM   #2264
MIChessGuy
Mouseketeer

Came down I-75 today from Michigan to my overnight stop in Macon, GA. No problems to speak of; even the weather was excellent from start to stop. (However, the cold front is probably slamming Michigan as I type. Timing is everything!)

I did see a problem on northbound I-75 as I drove through the construction zone in downtown Dayton, OH. That side of the highway was quite slow and I could not see exactly why. Maybe they had fewer lanes than our side, or maybe there was an accident. Fortunately the construction zone had minimal impact on the southbound side. I made a mental note to watch for this on the return trip.
Old 01-20-2013, 04:39 AM   #2265
Bearadise
My DW is a Bear-a-holic...

Question From Western Massachusetts, to the House of the Mouse

Greetings all,

This will be my first drive-though, and my first time driving to Walt Disney World. I've made the trip to Florida once before ~many~ years ago. Only that was to drive a moving truck to Melbourne for a friend and even then, we stopped half-way for an overnight in a hotel before finishing the trip.

But this time, except for food/fuel/potty breaks, it's all the way from start to finish. We're heading out of Western Massachusetts on Friday nightand with any luck, 20 1/2 hours later, we'll be pulling into our WDW resort Saturday night. We've got three drivers in the van, so one drives, one navigates and one "sleeps".

I'm taking the first driving shift. I'm a "dog watch" night worker so it'll work out fine. My wife works second shift and my daughter is a day worker. 11:00pm - 7:00am I'll drive,my wife will navigate and my daughter will sleep. My daughter will take over driving at 7:00am and I'll navigate while my wife sleeps. Once were out of the North East and it's "just" I-95 south, my wife will take over driving, my daughter will navigate and I'll sleep. The kids, we'll they'll do what kids do. Eat snacks, play electronic games, read, play road-trip games and sleep.

As for the route; Other than picking up I-95 and it's straight-shot south once one is below Petersburg,
Virginia, friends, relatives and AAA all seem to have their own best route to get us through New York, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Maryland and of course Washington D.C.

So for now, we're just trying to map out the best route for us Would anyone care to share their best route(s)? I'm certainly open for suggestions!

In any case, this should make for quite the first adventure and we're looking forward to it.

-
Rich(Me) [DisDad #731] Cathy(DW) Samantha(DD) Matthew(DGS#1) Jackson(DGS#2) Brady(DGS#3) Chad(DS) Amber(DDIL) Zack(DGS#4) Zoey(DGD#1)
Disneyland: Multiple day-tripper 1979-1982 || WDW: Off-Property 1990 || WDW: Dixie Landings 1993 || All-Star Movies 2008, 2010 || Pop Century 2013 || Caribbean Beach-Jamaica 2013 ||
Art of Animation 2014.
Are you on Facebook? 'The Wheeler Clan at WDW' is! Please come visit our page. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Wheele...33913320005732

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: