Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  


Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 01-05-2013, 07:03 PM   #2176
Colleen27
DIS Veteran
 
Colleen27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 16,641

Quote:
Originally Posted by robin09 View Post
Im not from where you are, Im upstate NY, but drive down every february (Presidents week). Honestly, the hardest part for us, is getting out of our little town... We are in a valley and roads here can be a little treacherous. Once we get out to the main roads, depending how we drive (either I95 which I hate, or 81-77 route,) the drive is fine. roads are clear... as long as you are not in the middle of a blizzard... but you wouldnt fly in that either. Youll be fine... I love driving and dont think I will fly again. DD loves to pack just too much, and the drive has become part of our vacation...
That's the same week we're looking at - Feb 16 to 24. I just keep telling myself the same thing I remind myself of every time we travel during hurricane season - the odds are against a bad storm going precisely where we're going on the exact day we're passing through. At least I hope so...
__________________
~~**Colleen & Crew**~~
POR 10/05 ~ BC 08/07 ~ WL 01/08 ~ CBR 12/09 ~ POP 03/11 TR/ DR
POP 1/12 TR ~ ASSp 5/12 ~ CSR 3/13 ~ POP 4/13 ~ ASMu 12/13


Colleen27 is online now  
Old 01-06-2013, 09:59 AM   #2177
BC1836
DIS Veteran
 
BC1836's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: The Jersey Shore
Posts: 2,345

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colleen27 View Post
That's the same week we're looking at - Feb 16 to 24. I just keep telling myself the same thing I remind myself of every time we travel during hurricane season - the odds are against a bad storm going precisely where we're going on the exact day we're passing through. At least I hope so...
Your identification trip pins denote four planned WDW journeys in 2013! Are all of them going to be drives?

All the best.
__________________
The 20th Century...'74-'00 (23 visits): Multiple stays at the Contemporary, Golf Resort, Old Key West, Port Orleans, Polynesian, Dixie Landings, Grand Floridian, offsite locations + one Disneyland trip.

The 21st Century (40 visits): '01: Yacht Club.....'02: Animal Kingdom Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'03: Wilderness Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'04: Grand Floridian.....'05: Beach Club & Grand Floridian.....'06: (May) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club.....'07: (March) Polynesian & Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Coronado Springs & Grand Floridian; '08: (March) Port Orleans Riverside & Polynesian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (June) Paradise Pier @ Disneyland; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Beach Club; '09 (March) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Grand Floridian; (Dec.) Grand Floridian; '10 (March) Grand Floridian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'11 (April) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'12 (March-April) Grand Floridian: Presidential Suite; (May) Grand Californian @ Disneyland; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian...'13 (April) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite; (Oct.) Boardwalk; (Dec.) Beach Club & Grand Floridian...'14 (April) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite...(Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk
BC1836 is offline  
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 01-06-2013, 06:12 PM   #2178
Colleen27
DIS Veteran
 
Colleen27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 16,641

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1836 View Post
Your identification trip pins denote four planned WDW journeys in 2013! Are all of them going to be drives?

All the best.
Oh Lord no! With the exception of DD's BFF trip they're all just weekends, not worth 36 hours on the road for 3-4 days at WDW, particularly since I'll only have a second driver for DD's trip. The others are solo or one-on-one with my other kids and we'll fly, but airfare for 2 purchased well in advance is a lot easier to swallow than airfare for 4 at the last minute. We likely won't know until around Feb 1 if DH is going to have a seasonal layoff coming; if he does we'll travel in Feb, if not the original Aug dates will stand.
__________________
~~**Colleen & Crew**~~
POR 10/05 ~ BC 08/07 ~ WL 01/08 ~ CBR 12/09 ~ POP 03/11 TR/ DR
POP 1/12 TR ~ ASSp 5/12 ~ CSR 3/13 ~ POP 4/13 ~ ASMu 12/13


Colleen27 is online now  
Old 01-06-2013, 09:27 PM   #2179
Shir Kahn
DIS Veteran
 
Shir Kahn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Posts: 2,038

Well, we just got back home from our trip and it was a great one! The drive went very well, but I noticed that my actual trip distance isn't what Google Maps had recorded it as being! When leaving Pop Century on January 4th, I hit the Go Home destination on my GPS and it recorded it as being 2074 miles, rather than the 2020 miles that Google Maps had it as! It was the exact same route we took going down and that we've always taken, so I guess I never noticed until this trip!

As for the drive itself, on the way down, we saw the snow get less and less until we got to Marion, Illinois. They had more snow than we did in Winnipeg! We didn't hit any bad weather at all on the way down, but on the way back we did run into a fair amount of rain leaving Florida as well as some light rain in Illinois and Wisconsin. It was strange seeing rain falling onto snow! We've now got just shy of 40k kilometers on our RVRs odometer, half of which is from Disney trips! The final Trip A total, which I started just as I left our house in Winnipeg was 6673.5 kilometers, which is 4146mi 1268.3yds when converted to miles. We did use the car a bit in WDW, so that indicates to me that some miles are off. Maybe our route down wasn't "exactly" the same way as the route back? Bah, confusing!
__________________
Shir Kahn is offline  
Old 01-07-2013, 11:56 AM   #2180
BC1836
DIS Veteran
 
BC1836's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: The Jersey Shore
Posts: 2,345

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shir Kahn View Post
Well, we just got back home from our trip and it was a great one! The drive went very well, but I noticed that my actual trip distance isn't what Google Maps had recorded it as being! When leaving Pop Century on January 4th, I hit the Go Home destination on my GPS and it recorded it as being 2074 miles, rather than the 2020 miles that Google Maps had it as! It was the exact same route we took going down and that we've always taken, so I guess I never noticed until this trip!
Do you want the All-Time Records (see page 1) updated/corrected to note the 2,074 miles or do you want it to remain at 2,020?

Please advise.

All the best.
__________________
The 20th Century...'74-'00 (23 visits): Multiple stays at the Contemporary, Golf Resort, Old Key West, Port Orleans, Polynesian, Dixie Landings, Grand Floridian, offsite locations + one Disneyland trip.

The 21st Century (40 visits): '01: Yacht Club.....'02: Animal Kingdom Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'03: Wilderness Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'04: Grand Floridian.....'05: Beach Club & Grand Floridian.....'06: (May) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club.....'07: (March) Polynesian & Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Coronado Springs & Grand Floridian; '08: (March) Port Orleans Riverside & Polynesian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (June) Paradise Pier @ Disneyland; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Beach Club; '09 (March) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Grand Floridian; (Dec.) Grand Floridian; '10 (March) Grand Floridian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'11 (April) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'12 (March-April) Grand Floridian: Presidential Suite; (May) Grand Californian @ Disneyland; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian...'13 (April) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite; (Oct.) Boardwalk; (Dec.) Beach Club & Grand Floridian...'14 (April) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite...(Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk
BC1836 is offline  
Old 01-07-2013, 07:09 PM   #2181
Shir Kahn
DIS Veteran
 
Shir Kahn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Posts: 2,038

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1836 View Post
Do you want the All-Time Records (see page 1) updated/corrected to note the 2,074 miles or do you want it to remain at 2,020?

Please advise.

All the best.
I guess I'd like it changed, I just checked and I did take a picture of the GPS on the way out of town going to WDW and it reads 3332km to the destination, which equals 2070 miles total. Not that it matters too much, as I'm sure we'll get bumped off the list someday by someone driving from Alaska or something!
__________________
Shir Kahn is offline  
Old 01-07-2013, 07:29 PM   #2182
BC1836
DIS Veteran
 
BC1836's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: The Jersey Shore
Posts: 2,345

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shir Kahn View Post
I guess I'd like it changed, I just checked and I did take a picture of the GPS on the way out of town going to WDW and it reads 3332km to the destination, which equals 2070 miles total. Not that it matters too much, as I'm sure we'll get bumped off the list someday by someone driving from Alaska or something!
Updated! See page one, post #1.

All the best.
__________________
The 20th Century...'74-'00 (23 visits): Multiple stays at the Contemporary, Golf Resort, Old Key West, Port Orleans, Polynesian, Dixie Landings, Grand Floridian, offsite locations + one Disneyland trip.

The 21st Century (40 visits): '01: Yacht Club.....'02: Animal Kingdom Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'03: Wilderness Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'04: Grand Floridian.....'05: Beach Club & Grand Floridian.....'06: (May) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club.....'07: (March) Polynesian & Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Coronado Springs & Grand Floridian; '08: (March) Port Orleans Riverside & Polynesian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (June) Paradise Pier @ Disneyland; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Beach Club; '09 (March) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Grand Floridian; (Dec.) Grand Floridian; '10 (March) Grand Floridian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'11 (April) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'12 (March-April) Grand Floridian: Presidential Suite; (May) Grand Californian @ Disneyland; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian...'13 (April) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite; (Oct.) Boardwalk; (Dec.) Beach Club & Grand Floridian...'14 (April) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite...(Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk
BC1836 is offline  
Old 01-07-2013, 09:37 PM   #2183
Shir Kahn
DIS Veteran
 
Shir Kahn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Posts: 2,038

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1836 View Post
Updated! See page one, post #1.

All the best.
Thanks very much!
__________________
Shir Kahn is offline  
Old 01-08-2013, 04:03 PM   #2184
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 9,642

welcome home...... congrats on the new record!!!!
dvczerfs is offline  
Old 01-08-2013, 06:05 PM   #2185
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 9,642

its a sad sad day today. im not a writer or a speller as most of you can tell. but anyway, a few weeks ago, i found out we lost a friend from here on the 2000 plus driving thread to cancer.i was told by another person here on this thread and i seen it posted on the trip report thread but didnt reply to the post.
just a little story, a few years ago my wife tammy had a tumor on her optic nerve and lost her vision in one eye.out of the blue, i got a pm from someone here on this thread. she had cancer and just wanted to let me know if i needed someone to talk to, she was here. well we exchange stories, i lost my parents at a young age to cancer and from what she told me, hers was very slow moving. we texted and pmed alot and last year we got to meet each other in the magic kingdom. she was there with her husband and daughter. we sat for about an hour by the hall of pres. and just gabbed. what a great lady and family. i didnt hear from her in awhile and when we got the news, we were heart broken. we would like to send our prayers, thoughts and condolences to jon and the girls and the rest of the family. we only knew your mom, wife for a short time but we will miss her.
we will always think of sarah when we walk by the hall of pres. and the little bit of time we spent together and all the talks.
thanks for being a friend sarah!!!! we will miss you!!!!
dvczerfs is offline  
Old 01-08-2013, 11:31 PM   #2186
Shir Kahn
DIS Veteran
 
Shir Kahn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Posts: 2,038

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvczerfs View Post
its a sad sad day today. im not a writer or a speller as most of you can tell. but anyway, a few weeks ago, i found out we lost a friend from here on the 2000 plus driving thread to cancer.i was told by another person here on this thread and i seen it posted on the trip report thread but didnt reply to the post.
just a little story, a few years ago my wife tammy had a tumor on her optic nerve and lost her vision in one eye.out of the blue, i got a pm from someone here on this thread. she had cancer and just wanted to let me know if i needed someone to talk to, she was here. well we exchange stories, i lost my parents at a young age to cancer and from what she told me, hers was very slow moving. we texted and pmed alot and last year we got to meet each other in the magic kingdom. she was there with her husband and daughter. we sat for about an hour by the hall of pres. and just gabbed. what a great lady and family. i didnt hear from her in awhile and when we got the news, we were heart broken. we would like to send our prayers, thoughts and condolences to jon and the girls and the rest of the family. we only knew your mom, wife for a short time but we will miss her.
we will always think of sarah when we walk by the hall of pres. and the little bit of time we spent together and all the talks.
thanks for being a friend sarah!!!! we will miss you!!!!
Sorry to hear this.
__________________
Shir Kahn is offline  
Old 01-09-2013, 12:48 AM   #2187
disneymarie
Its a rumour about the donuts...
Can we play Nancy Drew?
 
disneymarie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,616

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvczerfs View Post
its a sad sad day today. im not a writer or a speller as most of you can tell. but anyway, a few weeks ago, i found out we lost a friend from here on the 2000 plus driving thread to cancer.i was told by another person here on this thread and i seen it posted on the trip report thread but didnt reply to the post.
just a little story, a few years ago my wife tammy had a tumor on her optic nerve and lost her vision in one eye.out of the blue, i got a pm from someone here on this thread. she had cancer and just wanted to let me know if i needed someone to talk to, she was here. well we exchange stories, i lost my parents at a young age to cancer and from what she told me, hers was very slow moving. we texted and pmed alot and last year we got to meet each other in the magic kingdom. she was there with her husband and daughter. we sat for about an hour by the hall of pres. and just gabbed. what a great lady and family. i didnt hear from her in awhile and when we got the news, we were heart broken. we would like to send our prayers, thoughts and condolences to jon and the girls and the rest of the family. we only knew your mom, wife for a short time but we will miss her.
we will always think of sarah when we walk by the hall of pres. and the little bit of time we spent together and all the talks.
thanks for being a friend sarah!!!! we will miss you!!!!
How sad, sorry to hear of a Dis friend loss. She sounded like a kind hearted soul and warm reaching out heart. Glad you had the memories of meeting to remember her with. Sorry to hear of Tammy's battle, prayers it is well healed now.
__________________
disneymarie is offline  
Old 01-09-2013, 09:30 AM   #2188
feet1
Mouseketeer
 
feet1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Chocolatetown...Hershey PA
Posts: 372

we just booked a Disney trip for Sept 2013...we cannot wait, but with a family of 6 and my mother going with us too, airfare for 7 puts the vacation out of our budget, so we are driving...live in Hershey PA...googled it and it says 993miles. We have never driven this far with our kids (they will be 13, 11, 10 and 5 when we go) plan on leaving around 2am and hope and pray the kids sleep the whole time it's dark...

I haven't read through most of this or the other two threads, but my question, I've noticed some of you say you hate driving on I-95...why is that? we are hoping that by leaving at 2am we will miss DC traffic and Richmond traffic. is there any reason some of you don't like going on 95 and prefer other routes?

Thanks bunches!!
__________________
-Laura


1984 (I was 9) - off site
1989 - off site
1992 -CBR
2006 - POFQ
2007 - WL
Sept 19-27 2013 POFQ

feet1 is offline  
Old 01-09-2013, 10:31 AM   #2189
pepe of ohio
DIS Veteran
 
pepe of ohio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Hubbard, Ohio, northeast Ohio 7 miles from Pa. border
Posts: 6,580

Quote:
Originally Posted by feet1
we just booked a Disney trip for Sept 2013...we cannot wait, but with a family of 6 and my mother going with us too, airfare for 7 puts the vacation out of our budget, so we are driving...live in Hershey PA...googled it and it says 993miles. We have never driven this far with our kids (they will be 13, 11, 10 and 5 when we go) plan on leaving around 2am and hope and pray the kids sleep the whole time it's dark...

I haven't read through most of this or the other two threads, but my question, I've noticed some of you say you hate driving on I-95...why is that? we are hoping that by leaving at 2am we will miss DC traffic and Richmond traffic. is there any reason some of you don't like going on 95 and prefer other routes?

Thanks bunches!!
Depends on where you live, being in northeast Ohio we use to do the Pa turnpike to Breezewood, truck route around DC to pick up 95 onto I-4 to WDW, but that was years ago.... Route 77 is quicker, easier and closer cutting of a lot of miles, time and stress....for us, 76 to 77 south, 26 to 95 and 95 to 4..... Bingo. Only 2 hours in the Virginia mountains and then smooth sailing from there .

Now a days I have trouble imagining a child strapped in a car seat for an hour let alone the whole trip, back in our day, children roamed free, could lay down and sleep plus move around.. we're 19 hours from Disney and earlier on in like drove with the children straight thru, first night either Smyrna Beach or Daytona so they could experience the ocean and me to unwind from the drive and then next day short drive to Disney getting in real early to get a quick start on the fun...

Now as empty nesters, wife and I prefer Amtrak doing the driving and we just sit back and relax... Time was about the same if we drove and spent a night on the road, money about the same, much less stress via the train....
__________________
"May you live as long as you want and never want for as long as you live".

DIS Dads Club Member
pepe of ohio is offline  
Old 01-09-2013, 11:00 AM   #2190
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 9,642

Quote:
Originally Posted by feet1 View Post
we just booked a Disney trip for Sept 2013...we cannot wait, but with a family of 6 and my mother going with us too, airfare for 7 puts the vacation out of our budget, so we are driving...live in Hershey PA...googled it and it says 993miles. We have never driven this far with our kids (they will be 13, 11, 10 and 5 when we go) plan on leaving around 2am and hope and pray the kids sleep the whole time it's dark...

I haven't read through most of this or the other two threads, but my question, I've noticed some of you say you hate driving on I-95...why is that? we are hoping that by leaving at 2am we will miss DC traffic and Richmond traffic. is there any reason some of you don't like going on 95 and prefer other routes?

Thanks bunches!!
hi feet!! we are leaving on sept 10th!!! ive driven it a few times and from where i live, nazareth (about an hour east of you) i can make it in 15 1/2 hours from my front door to old key west resort. do your self a big favor, get on i81 to i77 to i26 to i95. very easy, low traffic, you wont hit char. nc. at rush hour. the only time i dont go this way is in the winter. the winter i take i81 to i66 to 17 to i95. this way is about 16 1/2 hours for me. the prob. with the second way is you hit i95 above richmond. looooooots of traffic.
dvczerfs is offline  
Closed Thread



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:39 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.



You Rated this Thread: