Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 06:27 AM   #2131
chipper10
Disney Obsessed

Good point. $60 really isn't worth it to me either. I know the boys will be more comfortable in the minivan. Older DS will have his Video games and DVD player. I am still worried about what younger DS will do on the drive down. He will be 24 months when we go in May. I am hoping he grows out of the crying-after-30 minutes- in the car stage.

Next Trip -- May 2013
Old 12-27-2012, 07:34 PM   #2132
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharadoc View Post
What happened????
tammy got a seven pointer!!!!!
it was totaled. it was 2001 but it only had 60k on it. garage kept. she was very lucky, the car was a rag top and she just caught his rear end. if she would have hit him square, it wouldnt of been good. she was fine, shake'n up, but fine. so, we had to buy another car. oh well, i didnt ever want to retire anyway.

PROUD DAD OF A DISNEY COLLEGE PROGRAM DAUGHTER!!! FALL ADVANTAGE 2013 MK-ODF ALUMNI !!!!!
2000+ MILE ROUND TRIP DRIVING THREAD.. DOUBLE DIAMOND DRIVER!

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-27-2012, 07:57 PM   #2133
patclairesmom
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by faindrops27 View Post
Hi all, I need help deciding what to do. It will be our first time driving from Long Island to Disney Sept 13'. Dh, is accustomed to driving from Long Island to South Carolina with no problems he has made countless trips to visit family.

It will be DH & I, ds 18, ds 11, dd9. We will be driving our minivan down
We do not check into POR until the 24th. So, I began to think why not make this trip/drive an adventure. We would leave 6-7 p.m. on either the 20th, or the 21st to do a pre mini trip to see some sights on the way down (fun things for a family to do, amusement parks, etc.) Or, just drive the whole way down to do a pre trip to either Universal(we've been several times) or Tampa Busch Gardens(never been here.) a few nights before checking in at Disney.

Can someone please give me suggestions on what to do? The best route, tolls, if we should stop or should we just breeze straight through to Florida. If we should stop, the best places to stay for our family of five. I keep thinking about this but cannot make a final decision on what would be best. Thanks in advance!
Personally I would drive down and maybe do Universal. I know my family is anxious to get to Disney. You could even explore the tourist attrations around Disney like Ripley's, Titanic, or just drive International Drive which is an attraction itself.

Old 12-28-2012, 05:03 AM   #2134
SondraC
DIS Veteran

We are getting ready to hit the road! Finishing packing the van, and then we are on our way!!
Old 12-28-2012, 05:05 AM   #2135
SondraC
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwdebbie View Post
You need to watch the weather and make your decision on that. I've heard a storm is coming from the west on Tuesday night (when my dd and family will be traveling 10 hours west to visit the Indiana in-laws) and another later in the week. You might want to avoid mountains as much as possible. But from east of Pittsburgh, you will have to go over mountains to get to DC. Mountains no matter which way you travel.
That's true! Mountains either way. We are getting ready to leave soon. We are going to try down through WV.
Old 12-28-2012, 11:53 AM   #2136
SondraC
DIS Veteran

Left my house around 7. Just crossed the border in Virginia..
Old 12-28-2012, 12:54 PM   #2137
SondraC
DIS Veteran

Just crossed the border into North Carolina!
Old 12-28-2012, 01:07 PM   #2138
BC1836
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SondraC View Post
Just crossed the border into North Carolina!

JR's signs coming up, to saying nothing of those South of the Border billboards!

Drive safely.

All the best.
The 20th Century...'74-'00 (23 visits): Multiple stays at the Contemporary, Golf Resort, Old Key West, Port Orleans, Polynesian, Dixie Landings, Grand Floridian, offsite locations + one Disneyland trip.

The 21st Century (38 visits): '01: Yacht Club.....'02: Animal Kingdom Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'03: Wilderness Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'04: Grand Floridian.....'05: Beach Club & Grand Floridian.....'06: (May) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club.....'07: (March) Polynesian & Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Coronado Springs & Grand Floridian; '08: (March) Port Orleans Riverside & Polynesian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (June) Paradise Pier @ Disneyland; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Beach Club; '09 (March) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Grand Floridian; (Dec.) Grand Floridian; '10 (March) Grand Floridian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'11 (April) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'12 (March-April) Grand Floridian: Presidential Suite; (May) Grand Californian @ Disneyland; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian...'13 (April) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite; (Oct.) Boardwalk; (Dec.) Beach Club & Grand Floridian...'14 (April) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite.
Old 12-28-2012, 01:52 PM   #2139
SondraC
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1836 View Post
JR's signs coming up, to saying nothing of those South of the Border billboards!

Drive safely.

All the best.
We are cracking up over those JR signs!! We are now looking for somewhere to eat.
Old 12-28-2012, 06:28 PM   #2140
disneymarie
Its a rumour about the donuts...
Can we play Nancy Drew?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvczerfs View Post
tammy got a seven pointer!!!!!
it was totaled. it was 2001 but it only had 60k on it. garage kept. she was very lucky, the car was a rag top and she just caught his rear end. if she would have hit him square, it wouldnt of been good. she was fine, shake'n up, but fine. so, we had to buy another car. oh well, i didnt ever want to retire anyway.
Ugh, I am glad Tammy was okay, but sorry to hear about the loss of the car. I have had several insurance claims since Thanksgiving for deer hits. Crazy deer should watch for those crossings and wait for the right of way.

Retirement has not been all it's cracked up to be, we both are still working. 401k never ended up to be all it was promised.

Heading down I think in March,but the $55 flights out of the local airport are too good. More time for short trip. Maybe in June the drive again.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:11 PM   #2141
SondraC
DIS Veteran

We are checked into our hotel in Savannah. Great driving day. No issues with weather at all!! We were nervous about going through WV, but no snow or rain at all in any state.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:42 AM   #2142
pwdebbie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SondraC View Post
We are checked into our hotel in Savannah. Great driving day. No issues with weather at all!! We were nervous about going through WV, but no snow or rain at all in any state.
Good thing you weren't going through WV today, it's a different story. Lots of white stuff coming down.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:31 AM   #2143
faindrops27
I love free DDP but love going on cruises too! My favorite cruiseline is RCCL. But will be sailing NCL for the first time Breakaway 13'

Quote:
Originally Posted by patclairesmom View Post
Personally I would drive down and maybe do Universal. I know my family is anxious to get to Disney. You could even explore the tourist attrations around Disney like Ripley's, Titanic, or just drive International Drive which is an attraction itself.

Hey, thanks for answering! I am thinking that may be the best option. No other opinions, or input with all of you who already made the trip?

But, if not than thank you very much Patclairesmom for your input.

Old 12-29-2012, 10:37 AM   #2144
pit303
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneymarie View Post
Ugh, I am glad Tammy was okay, but sorry to hear about the loss of the car. I have had several insurance claims since Thanksgiving for deer hits. Crazy deer should watch for those crossings and wait for the right of way.

Retirement has not been all it's cracked up to be, we both are still working. 401k never ended up to be all it was promised.

Heading down I think in March,but the $55 flights out of the local airport are too good. More time for short trip. Maybe in June the drive again.
Please share which airport and airline we are in Upper Chichester and would love also to do a short trip before our October drive.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:11 AM   #2145
SondraC
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwdebbie View Post
Good thing you weren't going through WV today, it's a different story. Lots of white stuff coming down.
We picked a good day for driving yesterday. We had no snow or rain, and we made it to Georgia!
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: