Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 03:39 PM   #2026
Jakesmom504
DIS Veteran

First time driver from South Jersey...and a little nervous! We leave in 2 weeks, will be arriving on the 14th. Originally we had planned to stop overnight somewhere but now DH is saying he thinks he might want to drive straight through! I cannot stand traffic even more than I hate to fly so for all you fellow South Jerseans what would be the best time to leave? I would like to make it to Disney by about lunch time or shortly after. Also for those of you who did drive straight through...is it worth it?? I really want to do MK the day we arrive but MVMCP is that night so the park closes at 7. We have ADR's at Ohana's for dinner that night when we leave the park. Me...I'm sure I will be on pure adrenaline but since DH will probably be doing most of the driving I don't want to kill the first day for him!

POP...Dec 2012 POP...Sept 2008 Jake's First Trip!
POR...Dec 2000 Honeymoon! CBR...July 1991 OFFSITE...Aug 1985 POLY...July 1982...my first Disney trip!
Old 11-29-2012, 06:22 PM   #2027
patclairesmom
Mouseketeer

We'll be leaving in less than 12 hours for our 2nd trip this year. We are leaving monmouth county nj at 6 am and stopping overnight in Santee SC then continuing on until we get to our hotel in Kissimmee.

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-29-2012, 08:39 PM   #2028
artesian
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakesmom504 View Post
First time driver from South Jersey...and a little nervous! We leave in 2 weeks, will be arriving on the 14th. Originally we had planned to stop overnight somewhere but now DH is saying he thinks he might want to drive straight through! I cannot stand traffic even more than I hate to fly so for all you fellow South Jerseans what would be the best time to leave? I would like to make it to Disney by about lunch time or shortly after. Also for those of you who did drive straight through...is it worth it?? I really want to do MK the day we arrive but MVMCP is that night so the park closes at 7. We have ADR's at Ohana's for dinner that night when we leave the park. Me...I'm sure I will be on pure adrenaline but since DH will probably be doing most of the driving I don't want to kill the first day for him!
depends on how you drive. we around 7pm and can be there by lunchtime the next day. that's minimal stops for gas only and maybe a bite to eat. the reason we pick that time is i don't want to hit DC before 10. So far this has worked very well for us on 4 trips now
Old 11-29-2012, 09:47 PM   #2029
MulanMom
DIS Veteran

We're planning on driving straight through to WDW but not planning to do a lot our first night/afternoon there. We'll stay off property for the first night, visit DTD and take care of tickets/TiW so that when we check in to the Poly the following day, we're all set to go.

We make a yearly trek to NC for summer beach trips and leave about 5-6pm at night to miss DC traffic just like PP. It's amazing how heavy traffic can be on 95 around DC even late at night...but at least it's moving. The further south we go the emptier i95 gets.

Have a great trip!
Old 11-29-2012, 10:34 PM   #2030
Shir Kahn
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MulanMom View Post
We're planning on driving straight through to WDW but not planning to do a lot our first night/afternoon there. We'll stay off property for the first night, visit DTD and take care of tickets/TiW so that when we check in to the Poly the following day, we're all set to go.

We make a yearly trek to NC for summer beach trips and leave about 5-6pm at night to miss DC traffic just like PP. It's amazing how heavy traffic can be on 95 around DC even late at night...but at least it's moving. The further south we go the emptier i95 gets.

Have a great trip!
I wish we could drive straight through to WDW but it's a 32 hour drive for us and the longest I've done in one stretch was 25 hours straight, so I don't think that's going to happen!
Old 11-30-2012, 08:19 AM   #2031
BC1836
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakesmom504 View Post
Give yourselves an 18-hour block of time to complete your drive. That time includes driving and periodic stopping (gas, bathroom, food -- if you're not bringing any with you). We have done the straight through drive many times, but we end our drive at a nearby WDW hotel for the night (less expensive that arriving at WDW just to sleep for the first night). That allows us to drive the ten minutes to our WDW hotel the next morning, relaxed and ready for a full day. If you do a straight-through drive and expect to be fully alert once you arrive, you'll be surprised when your inner zombie takes over.

No matter what your driving plans are, be safe.

All the best.
The 20th Century...'74-'00 (23 visits): Multiple stays at the Contemporary, Golf Resort, Old Key West, Port Orleans, Polynesian, Dixie Landings, Grand Floridian, offsite locations + one Disneyland trip.

The 21st Century (38 visits): '01: Yacht Club.....'02: Animal Kingdom Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'03: Wilderness Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'04: Grand Floridian.....'05: Beach Club & Grand Floridian.....'06: (May) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club.....'07: (March) Polynesian & Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Coronado Springs & Grand Floridian; '08: (March) Port Orleans Riverside & Polynesian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (June) Paradise Pier @ Disneyland; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Beach Club; '09 (March) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Grand Floridian; (Dec.) Grand Floridian; '10 (March) Grand Floridian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'11 (April) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'12 (March-April) Grand Floridian: Presidential Suite; (May) Grand Californian @ Disneyland; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian...'13 (April) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite; (Oct.) Boardwalk; (Dec.) Beach Club & Grand Floridian...'14 (April) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite.
Old 11-30-2012, 03:37 PM   #2032
Jakesmom504
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1836 View Post
Give yourselves an 18-hour block of time to complete your drive. That time includes driving and periodic stopping (gas, bathroom, food -- if you're not bringing any with you). We have done the straight through drive many times, but we end our drive at a nearby WDW hotel for the night (less expensive that arriving at WDW just to sleep for the first night). That allows us to drive the ten minutes to our WDW hotel the next morning, relaxed and ready for a full day. If you do a straight-through drive and expect to be fully alert once you arrive, you'll be surprised when your inner zombie takes over.

No matter what your driving plans are, be safe.

All the best.
Thanks! I've been hearing it's about 17 or 18 hours so that's pretty much what I planned on. We always drive down to OBX which isn't so bad but this year we were stuck in major traffic and it ended up taking 12-13 hours! We were tired but still able to manage. I'm a nurse and unfortunately have pulled many a 24+ hours of no sleep. It's horrible but wouldn't be the first time. DH on the other hand, I'm not so sure. He wants to drive straight through to save on the hotel cost for a night but I'm thinking we might be better off stopping. I guess we'll see as it gets closer!

POP...Dec 2012 POP...Sept 2008 Jake's First Trip!
POR...Dec 2000 Honeymoon! CBR...July 1991 OFFSITE...Aug 1985 POLY...July 1982...my first Disney trip!
Old 11-30-2012, 06:23 PM   #2033
patclairesmom
Mouseketeer

We made great time driving today. What a difference in traffic compared to going over Easter week. We left our home at 6am and picked up my son's friend. Got on the parkway about 6:17. Stopped right before the turnpike on 195 (Great Adventures exit) and had a quick breakfast at McDonald's. Despite those 2 setbacks we made it to Santee at @ 5:15pm.

Old 12-01-2012, 12:18 PM   #2034
BC1836
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by patclairesmom View Post
We made great time driving today. What a difference in traffic compared to going over Easter week. We left our home at 6am and picked up my son's friend. Got on the parkway about 6:17. Stopped right before the turnpike on 195 (Great Adventures exit) and had a quick breakfast at McDonald's. Despite those 2 setbacks we made it to Santee at @ 5:15pm.
Excellent progress! Now then...finish your drive!

All the best.
The 20th Century...'74-'00 (23 visits): Multiple stays at the Contemporary, Golf Resort, Old Key West, Port Orleans, Polynesian, Dixie Landings, Grand Floridian, offsite locations + one Disneyland trip.

The 21st Century (38 visits): '01: Yacht Club.....'02: Animal Kingdom Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'03: Wilderness Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'04: Grand Floridian.....'05: Beach Club & Grand Floridian.....'06: (May) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club.....'07: (March) Polynesian & Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Coronado Springs & Grand Floridian; '08: (March) Port Orleans Riverside & Polynesian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (June) Paradise Pier @ Disneyland; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Beach Club; '09 (March) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Grand Floridian; (Dec.) Grand Floridian; '10 (March) Grand Floridian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'11 (April) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'12 (March-April) Grand Floridian: Presidential Suite; (May) Grand Californian @ Disneyland; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian...'13 (April) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite; (Oct.) Boardwalk; (Dec.) Beach Club & Grand Floridian...'14 (April) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:34 AM   #2035
goofyfigment
DIS Veteran

Driving from NE PA in 20 days. Cant wait. Im just nervous because ive never made the drive in the winter
1984 First Visit Off Site 1987 Off Site 1996 All Star Sports 1997 Howard Johnson Enchantedland 1998 The Spas @ Resort World 2001 Westgate Towers and HRH 2007 Sheraton Vistana Villages and HRH 2008 Parkway International and RPR 2009 All Star Sports 2010 Westgate Vacation Villas 2011 Club Seville 2011 All Star Sports 2012 Sheraton Vistana Resort and Windsor Hills 2012 Westgate Leisure Resort and POP 2013 Westgate Vacation Villas 2013 Birthday trip Royal Pacific 2013 Portofino Bay 2013 POP 2013 All Star Movies 2014 Wilderness Lodge Villas 2014 Vacation Villas At Fantasyworld2014 Boardwalk Villas
Old 12-02-2012, 10:59 AM   #2036
BC1836
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofyfigment View Post
Driving from NE PA in 20 days. Cant wait. Im just nervous because ive never made the drive in the winter
Your major concern should be just getting out of the PA-DE-MD area and over the Potomac River. But winter is winter. Six inches of snow in your town may not be as dangerous than a slick of black ice in southern VA.

Just be careful: check the weather constantly.

All the best.

Old 12-02-2012, 12:12 PM   #2037
goofyfigment
DIS Veteran

Thanks. We usually go 81-66-17-15-95 so fingers crossed there is no snow.
1984 First Visit Off Site 1987 Off Site 1996 All Star Sports 1997 Howard Johnson Enchantedland 1998 The Spas @ Resort World 2001 Westgate Towers and HRH 2007 Sheraton Vistana Villages and HRH 2008 Parkway International and RPR 2009 All Star Sports 2010 Westgate Vacation Villas 2011 Club Seville 2011 All Star Sports 2012 Sheraton Vistana Resort and Windsor Hills 2012 Westgate Leisure Resort and POP 2013 Westgate Vacation Villas 2013 Birthday trip Royal Pacific 2013 Portofino Bay 2013 POP 2013 All Star Movies 2014 Wilderness Lodge Villas 2014 Vacation Villas At Fantasyworld2014 Boardwalk Villas
Old 12-02-2012, 08:48 PM   #2038
goofyfigment
DIS Veteran

Another question. Do you usually book a road hotel in advance or just stop when you get tired
Old 12-02-2012, 09:11 PM   #2039
BC1836
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofyfigment View Post
Another question. Do you usually book a road hotel in advance or just stop when you get tired
The last few years we have booked in advance. Earlier trips were booked on the road but it was risky since we sometimes couldn't find a convenient place to stay overnight prior to our WDW arrival.

Now we book a reservation that has a late cancellation time, just in case our progress is slowed or in case we make better time and go much further on the drive.

The key thing: make all your arrangements (departure time, expected rest stops and reservations) in advance so the only thing you have to worry about is the drive itself.

All the best.

Old 12-02-2012, 09:39 PM   #2040
WellingtonR
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1836

The last few years we have booked in advance. Earlier trips were booked on the road but it was risky since we sometimes couldn't find a convenient place to stay overnight prior to our WDW arrival.

Now we book a reservation that has a late cancellation time, just in case our progress is slowed or in case we make better time and go much further on the drive.

The key thing: make all your arrangements (departure time, expected rest stops and reservations) in advance so the only thing you have to worry about is the drive itself.

All the best.
We just made the roundtrip from CT and we didn't book any hotels. I'm glad we didn't because the first day down and back we got farther than expected. Today for our second day coming back, i81 through Virginia was packed with semis and people driving slow in the passing lane. I was getting pretty frustrated!!!
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: